Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2021, 06:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense

Hello there. Noticed a Duke 200 yesterday with the same issue. The bike is just 3-4 months old, but the silencer is properly rusted as if the bike was bought years ago.
Now, I have a query. I have a Gixxer SF250 bought on March 30th this year. I started noticing some rust on the Front Brake Disc and I'm worried about it. I tried cleaning it, but no use. Asked the service center guy, he told me if the whole Disc gets rusted then he will clean that with some special solution. I'm disappointed with his answer. Tried searching on YouTube, the only solution is WD40. But here's a catch, it shouldn't be sprayed because the braking gets affected and it may even make the front brake useless for a few days I guess.
What should I do? I need suggestions please, I want to get rid of that rust asap. Thanks in advance
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 08:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
Hello there. Noticed a Duke 200 yesterday with the same issue. The bike is just 3-4 months old, but the silencer is properly rusted as if the bike was bought years ago.
Now, I have a query. I have a Gixxer SF250 bought on March 30th this year. I started noticing some rust on the Front Brake Disc and I'm worried about it. I tried cleaning it, but no use. Asked the service center guy, he told me if the whole Disc gets rusted then he will clean that with some special solution. I'm disappointed with his answer. Tried searching on YouTube, the only solution is WD40. But here's a catch, it shouldn't be sprayed because the braking gets affected and it may even make the front brake useless for a few days I guess.
What should I do? I need suggestions please, I want to get rid of that rust asap. Thanks in advance
Please post pictures of this? Once we see it, we will be able to ascertain how bad it is. You are right to stay away from WD40.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 08:59   #18
BHPian

I have had this issue on my Hero Honda CBZ (2000). I assumed that this is normal with black silencers and never bothered to get it fixed. My Pulsar NS200 has mild version of this in patches which has done about 50k in 9 years of primarily city riding. My bike is parked in the shade 95% of the time, does the sun have any impact?
Old 24th July 2021, 15:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Why is the exhaust pipe painted/coated in the first place?

Isn't it usually bare stainless steel on motorcycles?
Exactly same question comes to my mind. Since temperature of the exhaust is very high, painting/coating won't survive. Even if rusted part is replaced, what is the guarantee that it won't rust again?

Last edited by IP_Man : 24th July 2021 at 15:19.
Old 25th July 2021, 09:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post
Exactly same question comes to my mind. Since temperature of the exhaust is very high, painting/coating won't survive. Even if rusted part is replaced, what is the guarantee that it won't rust again?
I doubt these silencers which are rusted are made from stainless steel, otherwise they would not have rusted to the extent shown. Normally the rust test which is done is for 300 hours with a 5-10percent NaCl (Salt) solution. This is for exposed parts which are going to come in contact with natures elements. After the test a minor amount of rusting "white rust" is permitted but not "red rust"

Also the paint which is applied to exhaust is heat resistant paint and it should not get burnt so easily. Yes the high temperature specifically near the start of the exhaust manifold is the place where even temperature resistant paint gets burnt the earliest but it still lasts for quite some time. I remember my TVS apache had none of this issue for a long time after purchase.

The earlier exhausts were stainless steel coated with chrome plating, they used to bear the brunt of nature without any issue.

New cost cutting avenues have added to the woes of the customer.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 10:59   #21
BANNED

Update on the issue.

We'd received several calls from Bajaj and a reach out from an individual whom we presume is from the vendor who supplies said exhaust for Bajaj.

Which goes to show the reach TeamBhp has, cause it's a first for me to have a Vendor reach out to Tbhp asking for the individuals contact.

My buddy being impatient took the motorcycle to the ASC and they scrubbed the exhaust claiming that it was just dirt;

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210728wa0009.jpg

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210728wa0008.jpg

But seeing the above it was quite obvious that it was more than just dirt cause post cleaning you can clearly see bare metal.

When he'd sent me the pics I had to convince him that bare metal wasn't s good thing cause with factory paint it rusted within a week of ownership and expecting it to not rust with bare metal exposed was just ludicrous.

So after a bit of talking they painted the exhaust free of cost;

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210728wa0012.jpg

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210728wa0013.jpg

I'd personally not consider this to be a happy ending as the guys from Bajaj's main office did take advantage of my buddy's ignorance quite a bit to the point that even after cleaning when the bare metal was exposed they kept on insisting that it was nothing and just dirt and not rust.

Finally they consoled him saying that there's nothing to worry about since the motorcycle has a 5 year warranty.

Yeah Right!

5 years of consistent periodic services for which he'd have to pay for parts and services, obviously at above market rates.

My buddy is happy as he felt some kinda validation but I simply cannot get around to accepting this as fair play, maybe my expectations are high or maybe India needs to amp up its consumer protection laws.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 19:22   #22
BHPian

Have you guys heard of Corten Steel? From what i see in this thread, it's apparent that the material used could be Corten Steel and thereby the rust like appearance.
Old 31st July 2021, 02:10   #23
BHPian

This is a common issue with Dominar. Reason Bajaj is not responding is because they don't know how to fix it. If they replace the pipe under warranty, the new one will again rust.

Cleaning up the rust takes a lot of elbow grease.

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-photogrid_1594211149332.jpg

But it comes back in no time.
xander is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 18:28   #24
BHPian

I've tried cleaning the rust affected area on the Front Disc of my Suzuki Gixxer SF250 with Petrol and it worked. Will checkout if have the before pictures. These are the after pictures, you can notice the area where rust was formed. Hope it remains good. The Suzuki dealership here is not much of a help.
So if the rust is in the beginning stage, it can be wiped of with the Petrol
Attached Thumbnails
Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-20210827_153047.jpg  

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-20210827_153050.jpg  

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-20210827_153032.jpg  

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-20210827_153038.jpg  

Thatautoguy46 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed