Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2021, 17:22   #1
BANNED

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense

A buddy of mine recently bought a Dominar 400 BS6 and within a week his first service was due.

While servicing the motorcycle he noticed rusting on the exhaust and sent me pictures;

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210716wa0085.jpg

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210716wa0086.jpg

My buddy asked them about it and they told him it was normal and he messaged me the same reasoning. To me it was pretty obvious that he was being taken for a ride due to his lack of common knowledge of machinery.

After about half an hour's worth of texting to and forth I finally convinced him to raise a dispute under warranty, since the guy was adamant about servicing his motorcycle at the ASC for the intention of maintaining warranty, so to me it didn't make any sense whatsoever to let this slip as he's anyways paying inflated consumable charges for the sake of warranty.

When he approached the ASC Folks they once again said that it was a common issue and pointed out a few other motorcycles that were there for Service as well as PDI of which my buddy sent me pictures;

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210716wa0091.jpg

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210716wa0092.jpg

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210716wa0093.jpg

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img20210716wa0094.jpg

The above pictures proved one and only one thing and that was that this was a QC miss of a larger scale than just a one of case, maybe one requiring a recall even if found in greater numbers.

So I with the help of some expletives convinced my buddy to take a strong stand on the matter and that's when he got the shocking reply from the ASS that the company i.e Bajaj has a Fix rolled out for this issue, a coating from 3M that costs 400/- per application and comes with a 6 Month Warranty.

My buddy being gullible fell for it but I simply couldn't comprehend the audacity of the ASS in saying the above.

A person has to shell around 300k for a brand new Motorcycle and then spend more for a quality miss from the company's end?

HELL NO!

My buddy has reached out to Bajaj via Email but they've redirected to the query to the same Local ASS who've made the above claim which they've once again confirmed over phone, which implicitly translates to the fix being as a matter of fact officially recommended by Bajaj.

Minor rusting I can understand but rusting to this degree simple cannot be ignored IMHO, especially on a brand new motorcycle that's just a week old.

So I'd request recent Bajaj owners to have a good look at their exhausts and report similar concerns, the more it is highlighted the better the chances are for the company to take notice and proactively recall defective pieces than to make the customer pay for no fault of his/her own.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 21st July 2021 at 17:34.
ashwinprakas is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:00   #2
BHPian

re: Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

My buddy has reached out to Bajaj via Email but they've redirected to the query to the same Local ASS who've made the above claim which they've once again confirmed over phone, which implicitly translates to the fix being as a matter of fact officially recommended by Bajaj.

Minor rusting I can understand but rusting to this degree simple cannot be ignored IMHO, especially on a brand new motorcycle that's just a week old.

So I'd request recent Bajaj owners to have a good look at their exhausts and report similar concerns, the more it is highlighted the better the chances are for the company to take notice and proactively recall defective pieces than to make the customer pay for no fault of his/her own.

Regards,
A.P.
When I started reading the thread, I was thinking about how the usual surface rust is going to be an issue on a bike used in India.

But looking at the amount of rust in some of the pics definitely makes it look like a QC issue. Didn't Yamaha paint the silencer on the FZ25 when customers raised the same issue sometime back.

Their mechanism of routing the customer complaint back to the dealer is actually one of the reasons that I skipped the Pulsar NS200 and went for the RTR 200 a few years back.

A complaint raised to TVS causes the entire structure from the Service Advisor, Service Manager and Technical In-charge of the ASS to call you up and request you to get your bike back to the ASS for a through inspection
and fix.

They can't even close the complaint without the OTP code that is sent to the customer (I am sure some SA will be updating their own number instead of the customer's number to get around this though).

Has the ASS provided the resolution over Email too? In that case, maybe we can try posting it to Social media to get the attention of Bajaj and other owners outside Team-BHP.
JithinR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
A buddy of mine recently bought a Dominar 400 BS6 and within a week his first service was due.
While servicing the motorcycle he noticed rusting on the exhaust and sent me pictures;
It does not look nice on a motorcycle. That pipe looks like a car exhaust underneath the car.

I would have thought they used stainless steel on visible exhaust pipes.
Indian2003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:37   #4
BHPian

When I first took a look, it felt like an afterburner of a jet engine! That thing looks horrible on the bike. Poor job by the QC team. They could have offered to fix it for free.
Raghu M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:42   #5
BHPian

I owned the first generation Dominar from 2017. No where did it rust near the headers like this. Bajaj always tests the first generation versions on customers before making any necessary and useful changes. I expected mine to give a lot of issues especially in the fit and finish department but it was uneventful. This to me looks like Bajaj is just doling out iterations without even testing rigorously. Their products may be good but the service is always a let down, more so when you pay a lot for their premium offering.
nikhn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 18:44   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Absolutely appalling quality control from Bajaj. And even worse customer support from the company. Making the customer pay for a temporary fix of their manufacturing mistake is rubbing salt in your friends wounds.

Anyways, ask your friend to get the details of the area service manager for Bajaj. It should be put up on the service center. Talk to him and ask for a resolution. If it doesnt work, escalate again. Keep escalating. Write emails. Ideally, Bajaj should fix the issue - replace / repaint and return the Rs 400 to the customer. Im actually surprised that your friend agreed to pay the company to fix the issue. Anyways, this is a lesson learnt for him also. Next time he will insist on warranty replacements to be done after consulting with you first.

Bajaj should be thoroughly ashamed of their disgraceful tactics.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 20:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

The rusting is quite severe.
The silencer will develope holes, if the rusting is not taken care.

Bajaj should replace the parts affected.

Such 3rd class quality is not expected from such a 'premium' bike.
abhishek46 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 22:52   #8
BHPian

They advertise this bike as an RE killer and manages to garner more rust in a few months than an RE in a life time. Bajaj better fix this asap or it will be an embarrassing state of affairs for them.
corvus corax is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 23:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
They advertise this bike as an RE killer and manages to garner more rust in a few months than an RE in a life time. Bajaj better fix this asap or it will be an embarrassing state of affairs for them.
RE should come up with humorous advertisement.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 14:19   #10
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense

Why is the exhaust pipe painted/coated in the first place?

Isn't it usually bare stainless steel on motorcycles?
Tgo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 15:20   #11
BHPian

I have the same amount of rust on my Dominar 2019 so this is not something new in recent batches. I always assumed it was normal and all the motorcycles I saw at the service centre had the same. I have even seen quite a few Husqvarna and KTMs with the same rust at the headers.

My 9 year old Honda Unicorn has no rust compared to my Dominar. Sad QC by Bajaj if it is indeed a manufacturing defect and even worse of not even trying to resolve it in future iterations.

Attaching a couple of pictures of the headers on my bike. Excuse the quality of the second picture as it was taken just after a ride in the rains.

Here’s how it looks from afar:
Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-d1cc05f74afc4850b638756735e69c52.jpeg

Here’s a close up look. The mud masks a bit of rust:
Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-3402a01b52f1449bb9a92da9f98e11ed.jpeg
TheDarkKnight is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 23:58   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
A complaint raised to TVS causes the entire structure from the Service Advisor, Service Manager and Technical In-charge of the ASS to call you up and request you to get your bike back to the ASS for a through inspection
and fix.

They can't even close the complaint without the OTP code that is sent to the customer (I am sure some SA will be updating their own number instead of the customer's number to get around this though).
I have experienced the same with my TVS Wego, which had a case of leaky output shaft seal, when the ASC didn't acknowledge the issue I sent an email and the regional head called me up and coordinated a warranty replacement.

In the ASC's credit they had torn out all my service coupons which enabled me to maintain warranty in spite of DIY'ing all periodic services.

At times I do wonder why TVS sells so less in this side of KL, in spite of best in class part quality and customer support.

Quote:
Has the ASS provided the resolution over Email too? In that case, maybe we can try posting it to Social media to get the attention of Bajaj and other owners outside Team-BHP.
No response via Email, just a call from the ASC, my buddy being the consumerist that he is, is on cloud nine that he got a call from them and they addressed him with much respect and consideration, I tell you this is exactly the kind of buyer that would prefer one brand over the other based on hearsay and being offered Coffee or being Smiled at by the Showroom Sales Executive. ng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
It does not look nice on a motorcycle. That pipe looks like a car exhaust underneath the car.

I would have thought they used stainless steel on visible exhaust pipes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Why is the exhaust pipe painted/coated in the first place?

Isn't it usually bare stainless steel on motorcycles?
The Pulsar 220 is the only motorcycle from Bajaj's stable that came with a SS Exhaust, and it was a flagship back in 2007 IIRC.

All the other Motorcycles including every later flagship came with a Painted Exhaust.

The reason for not sticking to SS I believe can be understood by component cost;

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-screenshot_2021072223145530_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raghu M View Post
When I first took a look, it felt like an afterburner of a jet engine! That thing looks horrible on the bike. Poor job by the QC team. They could have offered to fix it for free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
I owned the first generation Dominar from 2017. No where did it rust near the headers like this. Bajaj always tests the first generation versions on customers before making any necessary and useful changes. I expected mine to give a lot of issues especially in the fit and finish department but it was uneventful. This to me looks like Bajaj is just doling out iterations without even testing rigorously. Their products may be good but the service is always a let down, more so when you pay a lot for their premium offering.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Im actually surprised that your friend agreed to pay the company to fix the issue.
I believe this is the result of some variant of the Stockholm Syndrome.

Guy gets into a financial chokehold opting for a Motorcycle from a particular manufacturer. Then subconsciously to avoid going into depression starts to selflessly defend said motorcycle/manufacturer.

Can't think of any other logical explanation as to why an educated person would fall for such a scam.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 07:58   #13
BHPian

From what I've seen, on my duke 390 (2016) if the headers are left dirty for a long duration it changes color first and then starts forming a layer of surface rust that is very unsightly. However that can be easily removed with some Scotch brite harpic and metal polish. So this has become a once in a month ritual for me for the past 5 yrs. When the dominar came out with the painted headers I honestly thought that it was because they took measures to fix that issue. But that belief was short lived when I saw almost all the dominars on road having this brownish tint on the exhaust. Even the ns 200 has the same issue if I recall correctly. Could it possibly be that they used lower quality metal to make the exhaust and then thought that painting would prevent the rusting? And then the paint used was also lower quality and they just dissolve away after being exposed to road slush? Would cleaning the headers regularly have any impact on this issue? My method of mechanical cleaning is impractical on these bikes as they are painted and would take the paint right off of we use Scotch brite.
ArunRS2305 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 20:50   #14
BHPian

Just got back from the 20,000 kms service of my D400. With regards to the exhaust pipe, this is the case on all bikes. Noticed this from day 1. After 6 months of riding, the colour changed to this light brown shade which I believe is mud settling on it. On my bike, upon close examination, I can see that there are indeed, a few spots of rust. As has already been stated, there are compromises on quality everywhere. No doubt about it. One of the reasons, Bajaj bikes do not age well. I had mentioned this in my ownership thread as well.

If it looks like there is too much of rust intrusion and also if the owner feels the pipe will give away soon, just push hard for warranty replacement and be done with it.

I will do the same as well if it looks like it's going to give away. No doubt about it. Sometimes, it can get tough to handle these dealers but it's doable.

Rusting on brand new Dominar | Bajaj's fix is 3M Coat at customer's expense-img_20210723_181950.jpg
At 2 years and trouble free 19,000 kms. Look closely and you can see how the exhaust looks. Is it creating a problem ? Nope. So far so good *touchwood*.
aswin ajith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2021, 22:01   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad scene, if I got to see my week old bike like that, rest assured it will be a mayhem at dealership. This is absolutely appalling. Forget 3M, if this is what it is, I would have dismantled the exhaust and posted this all over the world. Then along with few riding buddies spent a nice day in the showroom, showing it to every single customer who would have walked in that showroom.

Pulsar which was my first bike, looked beautiful, but hands down was the bike with maximum niggles of all the bikes I have owned. That was the time I had decided that it will be tough to get a Bajaj next, reading this, I guess it will be never again.

Your friend should demand them to fix this, worst come, at least paint it, If you can share the photos of how it looks after 3M treatment, it would be great.

Most Viewed