Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2021, 13:07   #1
BHPian

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others

Hello Team Bhpians,

I am stuck and unable to make a proper decision. Never have I been so indecisive about choosing a vehicle for my needs.

My requirement is to have a bike for the city and for the occasional highway rides. With remote working not going away anytime soon, city commutes have decreased considerably. I have my mother's TVS Jupiter and my Wife's NTorq for the city usage at my disposal.

This is the exact model I ride currently. A 2010 Hero Honda CBZ extreme.

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others-herocbzxtreme1558094732.jpg

Pic courtesy - google

This wonderful machine has been serving me faithfully for the past 11 years without any major issues. The bike has clocked around 75,000 Kms and still going strong. Some minor issues cropped up in between which were duly fixed at the authorised service centre.

(my) Hero Honda CBZ xtreme - Pros
  • Reliable engine and gearbox. Has zero major issues till date.
  • Rev happy engine, can rev till 6-7 K rpms which puts a smile on my face.
  • Cheap to maintain due to the Hero Honda brand. Spares are still available despite the model being discontinued.
  • Good city commuter bike. Can handle Bangalore peak hour traffic.
  • Small foot print means I can find parking space in tight spots.
  • Given the rising cost of petrol, it may not make sense upgrading to a bigger capacity engine. I might either sell the bike and use my mom's scooter (which she barely uses) or sell the bike for whatever it fetches and buy a nice phone for myself.

(my) Hero Honda CBZ xtreme - cons
  • Not that fuel efficient compared to other bikes in its segment. I barely get 35 KMPL within city.
  • Spongy brakes. The front disc brake is small, and the rear drum brakes wear out quickly.
  • Lacks any safety kits like ABS.
  • Poor headlight throw, not sufficient for pothole ridden city roads during night.
  • Even short weekend ride with a pillion feels strained. The ergonomics are not very comfortable with a pillion.
  • Under powered engine for highways.
  • Poor resale value.
  • Small niggles which need frequent workshop visits. I have been postponing these due to lack of time and interest. There is a little oil leak, battery is dead, seat cover is torn and tyre needs replacement badly.

If at all I decide to buy a new bike, I have decided to upgrade. I did consider electric scooters (Ather, iCube, Chetak), but I feel its too early for me to buy an electric. With limited range, I will be confined to city and for some reason these electric scooters don't really excite me much. I am still a petrol head.

So, below are the bikes I have considered.

1. Hero Xpulse

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others-dual_purpose_tyres.jpg

Hero Xpulse likes

• On road cost in Bangalore is around 1.6L, wont be a major hole in the pocket.
  • No offence looks. Simple and straight forward design
  • Hero maintenance will be relatively easier.
  • FE claimed is at 49KMPL.
  • Tall bike, has good road presence, can tackle Bangalore's bad roads and potholes
  • Has ABS, engine kill switch, front and rear disc brakes which I found lacking in my CBZ xtreme.
  • 200 CC engine and gear box would be reliable and smooth.
  • Can handle occasional weekend road trips.
  • Can park it anywhere without attracting unwanted attention
  • I can buy it in white, which means I will have a white car (Tiago) and a white bike.

Hero Xpulse dislikes
  • Wife does not like it very much. She feels the rear seat is not very comfortable and is too boyish for my age. If I use it to drop her to the college where she works, other college girls may talk to me and get chummy. According to her, I must buy an "uncle" bike, but not like a HH splendor.
  • 200cc does not feel much of an upgrade. I wish it was at least 250CC.
  • Missing 6th gear. This would have made a good difference on the highway (IMHO). I am not going to take my bikes off-road.
  • Hero Ownership again, nothing exciting actually.
  • Some owners feel that its a good urban bike, but misses the punch on the highway.
  • I had a very short TD, difficult to comment on the acceleration. I also feel that the TD bike could have been tweaked for acceleration.
  • Single channel ABS. Feels like something missing when other manufacturers can offer dual channel.
  • No tubeless tyres. I hate to push bikes when I have a flat tyre.

TVS Apache RTR 200

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others-apace200.jpg

TVS Apache RTR 200 likes

OTR cost in Bangalore is around 1.7L - affordable.
  • Good fit and finish.
  • Engine is smooth, very refined.
  • Good looking bike, no doubt.
  • Claimed fuel efficiency is around 50Kmpl which is a decent figure.
  • Clutch is smooth and light.
  • Pillion and rider seats are comfortable.
  • Small and nimble means can handle city traffic and tight parking spaces.
  • TVS Glide through technology is an added advantage for bumper to bumper traffic.
  • Though I am not keen on this, the Bluetooth connectivity is a plus.
  • Dual channel ABS is a plus point.
  • I can buy it in white.
  • Wife approves the bike since its comfortable than the xpulse.

TVS Apache RTR 200 dislikes
  • The bike felt small. I did not get a big bike feel.
  • The ride position is a bit aggressive. Of course this is more of a track bike than a tourer.
  • Short weekend rides may not be comfortable for a pillion and may lack the power for a highway.

Honda Highness

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others-hondahighness.jpg

Honda Highness Likes
  • Ride Position is nice. Ergonomics are comfortable
  • Loved the retro looks.
  • Dual channel ABS.
  • Pillion seat seems comfortable.
  • Smooth Honda Engine and gear box.
  • Decent fit and finish.

Honda Highness dislikes
  • I read a few reviews where owners have complained about faster brake pad wear out.
  • some owners are not happy with the gearing ratio. I am not sure I understand this issue.
  • False neutral issue.
  • Nothing much to dislike actually

Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others-royalenfieldmeteor350rightfrontthreequarter4.jpeg

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 likes
  • Ultra comfortable ride position. Probably the best.
  • Relatively smooth and controlled NVH compared to previous gen RE bikes.
  • Dual Channel ABS.
  • Will be an ideal cruiser.
  • Good looking bike. Top end variant especially
  • Good fit and finish overall

Royal Enfield Meteor 350 Dislikes
  • Unknown long term reliability issues.
  • RE bikes may not be all that reliable.
  • I read all the horror stories on the chassis getting cut into two on the Himalayan and I am sceptical on the reliability on the meteor too.
  • Pillion seat is too small. Not enough space at all.

KTM Adventure 250

Please note : I am yet to test ride this

Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others-ktm_adv.png

KTM Adventure 250 likes

Ride position is comfortable.
  • Really big bike feel.
  • In a way a good looking bike.
  • Rugged bike, feels like an all weather machine.
  • I am sure it will be a good tourer.
  • It can handle bad roads, although I have no plans of doing any off roading.
  • Can punch out 30BHP with a 250 CC engine unlike the other bikes listed above.
  • Dual channel ABS.
  • Even though I did not test ride it, the bike seat and ride position felt comfortable.
  • My wife kind of liked it despite its hooligan looks, even with the rear seat height.

KTM Adventure 250 Dislikes
  • I am not sure about the maintenance costs. Could be very expensive compared to all the bikes listed (need advice here)
  • The bike is a bit tall for me. I am 5ft 7, the bike is a little tall for me although I can manage it.
  • Huge bike may be a bit difficult to negotiate in city traffic and city traffic.
  • Could be the least fuel efficient of all the bikes listed above.

Dear fellow team bhpians,

I have listed down the likes and dislikes of the bikes I have considered to my best knowledge. Please feel free to pitch in your views and opinions.
I would appreciate owners of the bikes to share their ownership experience and help me make an informed decision.

Last edited by girimajiananth : 30th August 2021 at 16:59.
girimajiananth is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 05:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 09:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others

girimajiananth, you certainly have done your homework and are thinking along the right lines. All the bikes that you have shortlisted are good in their own way.

I would add the following two to your list
- Bajaj Dominar 250
- New Royal Enfield Classic 350

From your post, it looks as though you are looking for a sensible bike that you can keep for quite some time. I feel that your best 3 options are the Honda CB350, the Royal Enfield Meteor and the new Royal Enfield Classic 350. Personally, I loved the J series engine of the new Meteor a lot better than that of the Honda and I have met several others who felt the same as well. Now that same engine has found its way into the updated Classic 350. You cant go wrong with either the Honda or one of the two Royal Enfields. Do take your wife for test rides of the three bikes back to back to back and see what suits you the best.

P.S - If your wife thinks that the girls in her college will start talking to you if you buy the Xpulse, then she should be worried that they will start asking you for lifts, if you have the KTM Adv 250. That is perceived to be a young man's hooligan bike and I dont think your wife will like the new found attention that you will get, if you have an orange bike in your garage
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:02   #4
BHPian

Re: Buying advice: Hero Xpulse vs TVS Apache RTR 200 vs Honda Highness vs Others

In the list above the RE Meteor and Honda CB 350 are at the top of the list in terms of performance and comfort. A close buddy of mine bought the Meteor a few days ago as he found it to be the best bike in its category in terms of comfort and power. As Neil says the new Classic with the same engine could be a great bike too. However all these three bikes are considerably more expensive than the others in your list so you may want to consider that.
A350 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 10:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girimajiananth View Post
According to her, I must buy an "uncle" bike, but not like a HH splendor.
This statement alone makes a case for either Honda CB350 (highness) or RE Meteor. However test ride these before making a decision.
What you resonate and connect with is more important in bikes and don't analyse too much.
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 18:14   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I would add the following two to your list
- Bajaj Dominar 250
- New Royal Enfield Classic 350
I have not tested the Dominar, but don't you feel the pillion seat is small. Will TD the Dominar before ruling it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
. As Neil says the new Classic with the same engine could be a great bike too. However all these three bikes are considerably more expensive than the others in your list so you may want to consider that.
I will wait for the new classic with the J series engine. But I feel classic is too common and everyone rides it. I will TD it once launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
What you resonate and connect with is more important in bikes and don't analyse too much.
You are right, I will buy something which I can afford to buy, maintain and connect.
Old 31st August 2021, 18:20   #7
BHPian

Surely the best value for money would be to buy either of the Suzuki Gixxer 250 or the Yamaha FZ250. Probably the best city bikes we have today - light and fast accelerating; and which are capable of maintaining 90-100 Km/h cruising speeds on the highway with burst speeds upto 30 Km/h higher.
Skidrow is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 18:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidrow View Post
Surely the best value for money would be to buy either of the Suzuki Gixxer 250 or the Yamaha FZ250.
Gixxer is good, smooth engine and good looking, however the ride position is too aggressive. Its more of a track bike.

Yamaha FZ250 is good, its aggressive. Its a bit expensive to maintain I guess. My friend has the same bike. The high beam on the headlight is not working. Yamaha a.s.s said there is no way to replace just the led light. The entire headlight dome needs to be replaced. They quoted a whopping 6K for it. I find it unreasonable.
girimajiananth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 18:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Since you were looking at RTR200 (good choice) other alternatives in similar price range is Yamaha FZ25 which I heard has best pillion seat in 250cc segment.

If you like retro, then do wait for classic 350 as it might be just fine for city rides and occasional highway ride. I see you are skeptical about RE, but then Meteor and 650 twins are much better quality in comparison to Himalayan(looking at the first year or so since launch). classic being bread and butter product for RE, I am sure they have taken the feedback from meteor for a year and used it to improve the product further. These are the 3 options I can recommend.
rajshenoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 19:01   #10
BANNED

Quote:

[list][*]Wife does not like it very much. She feels the rear seat is not very comfortable and is too boyish for my age. If I use it to drop her to the college where she works, other college girls may talk to me and get chummy. According to her, I must buy an "uncle" bike, but not like a HH splendor.

This is the first thing that comes from my wife! This or that bike is not 'Uncle' enough for my age!

I have some of the bikes you have shortlisted on my shortlist too.

I would add the upcoming 'new' classic 350. Uncle enough and good ergonomics and very good space for the pillion too.

I personally am looking forward to the 'new' classic 350.
Mafia is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 19:03   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Since you were looking at RTR200 (good choice) other alternatives in similar price range is Yamaha FZ25 which I heard has best pillion seat in 250cc segment.

If you like retro, then do wait for classic 350 as it might be just fine for city r.
As pointed above, FZ25 is good. I find the spare parts over priced. 6k for a headlight dome just because the LED bulb cant be replaced.

I will wait for the new classic 350 and check it with an open mind.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 19:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I would pick the meteor from the lot, the engine is refined, the kit is nice and it has tons of aftermarket accessories both from RE and third parties, to customize it according to your likes. The pillion seat also has touring options and your wife will be happy.

The Honda is a good bike too, and is a very close second for me, if it is reliability you are looking for, Honda kind of edges the RE here.

I personally would have picked the meteor over the honda though!
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 20:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
I would pick the meteor from the lot, the engine is refined, the kit is nice and it has tons of aftermarket accessories both from RE and third parties, to customize it according to your likes. The pillion seat also has touring options and your wife will be happy.
Can you please share more information on the touring seat options. That would be really helpful.

Most of the members here suggest either the meteor / classic / Highness. I am surprised that no one recommends the KTM Adv 250.
girimajiananth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 21:05   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share more information on the touring seat options. That would be really helpful.

Most of the members here suggest either the meteor / classic / Highness. I am surprised that no one recommends the KTM Adv 250.
Check this Link out, you can see all the accessories for meteor, they are lot for an official ones.

They have a touring seat option too, also in case you decide to buy meteor, you can download the RE app and order from there, you can customize it then and there, and it will be faster. They also have an option of a custom plate that will come on your bike, very cool!!

Guess no one recommends KTM, one because of the image that the brand has built, second there are gremlins in KTM bikes, not that RE is gremlin free, just that they are more willing to help and spares are cheaper.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 22:15   #15
BHPian

Quote:
I am surprised that no one recommends the KTM Adv 250.
KTM has jacked up prices like anything so they have lost their vfm tag. If I am looking towards KTM, I would go via pre-owned route and find a clean bike. This is what I did when I got my 390 and would happily do it again if I am looking for one. KTMs have relatively cheaper spares and they don't leave a big hole in pocket in case something goes wrong. My experience with both 390s have been a pleasant one, total 50k kms done in 4 years, nothing much to complain about.

Duke 250 packs enough punch for city and highways both. You can add a windscreen and it can turn out to be decent tourer as well. If you wife is comfortable with the pillion seat, find a less used Duke 250. No offence to owners but 20 ps power from Meteor and H'ness isn't sufficient for two up riding on highways. H'ness was clearly struggling during my test ride with a pillion.

If you can live with Bajaj's service, do check out Dominar 250 as well after recent price cuts.
ast.ggn is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed