Team-BHP - Headlight mod: 55/60W in a HH Splendor
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   Headlight mod: 55/60W in a HH Splendor (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/24113-headlight-mod-55-60w-hh-splendor.html)

Hi Team,
This is a thread for headlight mods. I have a 97 model splendor and got the coil rewound (with extra windings) to be able to support a 55/60W halogen bulb. I have installed a Philips VisionPlus 55/60W halogen bulb. The headlight is really awesome, as good as a Maruti 800. I have installed the new reflector from Splendor+. No other changes done but the headlight beam is excellent. I recommend this to ALL splendor owners, because the stock headlight is really sick and of no use at all.

There is also a round headlight reflector which needs to be slightly modified and fitted. It gives an even better spread. If anyone in Bangalore wants to know how & where to get the coils done, please PM me and I shall help you.

I have serious doubts on the mods . I do not think the magneto has sufficient space to wind up a thicker gauge wire to support the 55/60 lamps . Better approach would be to get a bigger battery , wire the headlights directly to the battery .

^running from battery is not a good option,if you are into long rides during night time,most battery in bikes have enough juice to power the bulb for just few hours and it takes quiet a lot of time recharge.

well fellow bhpians,i have got my bike yesterday after getting its coil winding done.well the bike now runs on 55/60W bulbs and i can say tht its much much much better brighter than earlier.though i cannot say whether bulb really gets the 55W from the stator coil or not.i think they are just increasing the number of windings rather than using bigger gauge wires.in my rx 135 there was no problems regarding accomodation of stator coil..
btw @gopz make sure that u get your regulator and rectifier unit replaced to accomodate the higher power.or else theres chance of the bulbs going fuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hari_rama (Post 442988)
well fellow bhpians,i have got my bike yesterday after getting its coil winding done.well the bike now runs on 55/60W bulbs and i can say tht its much much much better brighter than earlier.though i cannot say whether bulb really gets the 55W from the stator coil or not.i think they are just increasing the number of windings rather than using bigger gauge wires.in my rx 135 there was no problems regarding accomodation of stator coil..
btw @gopz make sure that u get your regulator and rectifier unit replaced to accomodate the higher power.or else theres chance of the bulbs going fuse.

Thanks Hari_rama, do you know where I can get the regulator and rectifier unit and what are the specifications I need to look for?

well gopz regarding the regulator rectifier unit,i think its better to consult a good auto electrician at ur place.in my case the electrician made a unit himself for the rewound coil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 443681)
Thanks Hari_rama, do you know where I can get the regulator and rectifier unit and what are the specifications I need to look for?

You can make a custom RR unit or try the shogun/fiero unit.

My bike is Splendor 94 model and I am ready to change/replace anything with only original Hero Honda Parts of other models for better lighting. Can I do any such replacement for good head light? I'm ready to even replace headlight set but only to another model from Hero Honda! I'm ready to use Holder and Bulb of other makes like philips etc. I tried changing to Halegon bulb but problems like holder melting etc. persists. Please advise.

Vinfriend,

With all due respect, you'd need to change to HeroHonda Karizma :D It supports a 100/90 out of the box. Splendor doesn't have any plug/play mods for better lighting. Sad but true!

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinfriend (Post 519282)
My bike is Splendor 94 model and I am ready to change/replace anything with only original Hero Honda Parts of other models for better lighting. Can I do any such replacement for good head light? I'm ready to even replace headlight set but only to another model from Hero Honda! I'm ready to use Holder and Bulb of other makes like philips etc. I tried changing to Halegon bulb but problems like holder melting etc. persists. Please advise.

If you want to maintain the original look, you can replace the reflector from the splendor plus model, with a halogen bulb 55/60W and get the coil rewound to support the 55/60W bulb. If you use a 55/60W bulb without additional coil windings, then the reflector will melt (which I assume has occured in your case?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 519434)
If you want to maintain the original look, you can replace the reflector from the splendor plus model, with a halogen bulb 55/60W and get the coil rewound to support the 55/60W bulb. If you use a 55/60W bulb without additional coil windings, then the reflector will melt (which I assume has occured in your case?)

Thanks everybody. I didnt get what you mean by additional coil windings. Do you mean the alternator winding or something in headlight? Anyway, can i done it in Authorized service center and how much does it cost? please help

@gopz: Go to Ruby auto electricals near the lalbagh gate for the RR unit. from urvashi theater signal go forward take right in front of the lalbagh gate and proceed on the road which goes towards south end circle (not the one to minerva circle) and you'll see Ruby on the right side just before the left hander turn.

look man your bike's dynomo is built to charge the battery for the amount of power consumed by the stock electricals like the horn,indicators ,headlight ,tail light etc... well getting a bigger BULB will only drain the battery more and a bigger dynomo only replenishes this power quickly, mean while the number of times a battery can be recharged before it dies, gets over sooner because larger amount of current is with drawn and replace and the battery life prematurely ends .

this was the problem faced by most pulsarians due to the mammoth horn provided the battery hardly lasted them around a year or 15 months and then they got a brand new battery.

to over come this problem in pulsar 200 bajaj has given a lessesr powerful horn for there is no kick rod in the bike and if no battery then the bike wouldnt start!

even if the end of the is discussion if you want more brightness anyway, then go in for a after market second lamp, in a rectangle type that you can just fix beneath the current headlight so that two 35watt bulbs will be better than one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rider60 (Post 521791)
even if the end of the is discussion if you want more brightness anyway, then go in for a after market second lamp, in a rectangle type that you can just fix beneath the current headlight so that two 35watt bulbs will be better than one!

Sorry for bumping an old thread.
was checking if anyone had any suggestions to improve the headlight of a P200, without compromising the throw or spread- both of which are equally important in their own way and one needs to strike a proper balance between the two.
Many people compromise spread for only throw and it can get a bit risky that way.

Coming back to the topic- rider60 sir- have you tried the 2x35W headlight thing?
I somehow feel it doesn't solve the problem much- though helps a tiny bit, maybe depending on the need and how it is done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gopz (Post 439233)

Hi Team,
This is a thread for headlight mods. I have a 97 model splendor and got the coil rewound (with extra windings) to be able to support a 55/60W halogen bulb. I have installed a Philips VisionPlus 55/60W halogen bulb. The headlight is really awesome, as good as a Maruti 800. I have installed the new reflector from Splendor+. No other changes done but the headlight beam is excellent. I recommend this to ALL splendor owners, because the stock headlight is really sick and of no use at all.

There is also a round headlight reflector which needs to be slightly modified and fitted. It gives an even better spread. If anyone in Bangalore wants to know how & where to get the coils done, please PM me and I shall help you.

I had installed 55/60W Hanolinx +60 on my Feb 1999 Caliber. I never did any modifications to coil or anything. Someone told be the plastic holder will melt , but for more than one year, nothing happened. The earliest Calibers had Philips 40/45W bulb as standard.
BTW, which coil was modified ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatmana2000 (Post 442487)
I have serious doubts on the mods . I do not think the magneto has sufficient space to wind up a thicker gauge wire to support the 55/60 lamps . Better approach would be to get a bigger battery , wire the headlights directly to the battery .

I had done above modification on my Caliber and it took the load. Dont know about the HH Splendor.