Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2021, 14:13   #1
BHPian

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650

“You’re a Team-BHPian, so I’m not going to negotiate with you on the price man.”
“Well you’re a Team-BHPian, so I’ll give you a 5000 Rupee discount.”

The Frustration

It’s no secret that I’ve been looking for a Royal Enfield 650 for over half a year now. Perhaps it should be a secret, given my history with RE. My attempts to buy a GT or an Interceptor can be summarized as follows:

1. February: Went to order GT 650, was told delivery in 3 months, ran out and bought an Xpulse instead
2. April: Friend bought an Interceptor, rode it, uncontrolled biological urge to buy one immediately
3. June: Saw a used GT in Mohali, stupidly overpriced, complained about it on Team-BHP
4. July: Saw 2 used GTs in Ludhiana, messy machines, complained about both on Team-BHP
5. August: Reached a deal for a 2021 Interceptor in Mohali, owner sold it to someone else at the last second

By this time I was completely frustrated, and had nearly bought a new 390 Adventure, just to get the itch of a second bike over with. The Adv would have been the logically correct choice, but I wanted to have some more stupid fun after the Xpulse hilarity.

At this point I’d also realized the importance of making some friends, which is something I’ve never really been good at. Not only do friends help you out when times are bad, they can also be sources of trustworthy used motorcycles when you want some good times

The Hope

I was at the edge of convincing myself to buy a used superbike instead, CBR650R or even a Street Triple, when out of the blue I see an Interceptor for sale in Team-BHP’s classifieds section, listed by “rrsteer”.

It was an Orange Crush, 2019 bike with some 4700 Kms, bone stock. Location was Jalandhar, some 120 Kms from me. The listing mentioned that the bike has had 2 services, had a few scratches on the tank, and was well taken care of mechanically.

It also mentioned that to comply with the proper running-in procedures, he had not taken a pillion for 2500 kilometers!

But most importantly, the asking price was a brilliant 2.25 Lacs.

I quickly messaged the BHPian via the ad, then emailed him directly, then found the same bike on OLX and messaged him there too. Short of immediately traveling to Jalandhar and shouting “RRSTEER!” from top of the tallest building, I did everything to get in contact with him as quickly as possible.

Got a reply the next morning, and gave him a call.

The Call

It is difficult to describe how different this experience was for me compared to all the other used bikes I’ve checked out till date. The entire dynamic of the situation changes when you trust the person you’re dealing with.

Until now, buying a used bike for me was like going to war, you plan your strategy, look out for their deceptions, and try your best to win. With rrsteer, it was like two old buddies going out for dinner, and each insisting that they take the cheque.

You know you’ve lucked out with a used vehicle seller, when the first thing they tell you are the defects. He immediately told me that the chrome on the indicators is a bit rusted off, and that the insurance was only third party, and some other minor stuff. This is in total contrast to other experiences I’ve had via OLX, where people tried to pass off an obviously bent lever as totally not bent at all.

I asked him the general questions about any loan on the bike, and in whose name the RC was. That was all in order, unlike all the other bikes I’d seen. Then I asked him a question and got the most unexpected answer!

“Have you noticed that famous wobble issue on the front?”
“Well I never really took it past 80 so can’t be sure.”

It was by this point that I was absolutely certain that the bike would be in perfect mechanical order, but I didn’t yet realize just how well taken care of that machine was.

Then we got down to the price, and again the experience was completely opposite to OLX. He told me straight up that dealers around him had offered 2.1 Lacs, and I told him straight up that all the bikes I’d found until now were at least starting 2.3, and in far worse shape than what he was selling.

He immediately gave me a discount of 5000 bucks from his 2.25 asking price, and even afterwards kept asking if I wanted to pay anything lower! I was more than happy to pay 2.2 lacs, if nothing else, it was a teeny tiny little help from my side for his upcoming Kia Carnival purchase. The price might seem on the higher side compared to offers around Delhi, but for Punjab, it was just about perfect.

The Meet

The call ended, and I started work on the ownership transfer papers. Headed over to Jalandhar on the next Saturday in a trusty friend’s car, and soon got stuck in a farmer’s protest. A lot of detours and a broken suspension bushing later, made it to his home.

There, of course, I got to see his beautiful home and family. His two kids are buckets of cuteness, and made me reconsider my stance on never having a child . He offered a test drive, and I took one, but it was just a formality. I didn’t check a single thing, just drove a circle around his house and parked it. We talked about cars and bikes and Team-BHP and the IT life.

The paperwork was all signed, and I transferred over the money. The weather was looking a bit iffy, so I wanted to get back home quickly, but, of course, they fed me a proper Punjabi lunch. The whole experience was a bit surreal and unexpected, it was beautiful, and unforgettable.

Started the ride back home, and immediately noticed how smooth the engine, gearbox, and fueling was. Even my friend’s 2021 Interceptor wasn’t this good. All bikes are not made equal, some are better than others, that’s just how manufacturing processes work. I’ve lucked out with one of the better ones I believe.

I got stuck in the farmer’s protests again, but with a motorcycle under me, it was all butter. I was enjoying the raw exhaust note of the bike, so different than the BS6 one. It burbles and pops and hisses. So much more bass and character.

The rain started, but luckily it never got heavy enough to make me want to stop. The 120 odd Kms were done in a breeze, and there it was, MY Royal Enfield Interceptor 650, in my home.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-img_20210821_16565603.jpeg

The End

The next day I immediately took it into Himachal, as is tradition. There were quite a few landslides on the way, that was fun with the Pirelli tires and no leg guards.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-himachal-1.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-himachal-2.jpeg

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-ride-.jpeg

The day after I had planned to get the bike serviced, asked rrsteer about when it was last done, and he surprised me again! The last service was just a couple of months ago. So there was nothing to do but get the dirt off the bike, and enjoy.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-clean.jpeg

I’m new to this customization scene that’s related with all Royal Enfields, never bothered to make any real changes to my previous bikes. Looking at all of these exhausts and filters and plugs makes me dizzy.

The bike is so beautifully maintained in its stock form that I think it’ll be disrespectful to modify it in any way.

But then again I hate the exhausts, not the looks, but function. They get unbelievably hot, which is very inconvenient. They’ll get in the way of saddlebags too I’m sure. To control myself from ordering anything stupid though, I’ve placed a self embargo on any new purchases until I’ve ridden the bike at least a thousand kilometers.

Unfortunately, 600 of those are already done.

If it wasn’t for Team-BHP, I would’ve never got to know rrsteer, never got to meet his family, and never got to own this thing of beauty. I’ve been incredibly lucky to do all those things, and I can’t wait to enjoy this lovely piece of engineering.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-both.jpeg

A short review of the Royal Enfield 650 twins:

Based on the 600 kms done on my 2019 Interceptor, and about 400 done one my friend’s 2021 bike, all I can really say for a review is that I’m in love with the thing. 1000 kms is not enough to make sweeping judgements about a machine, but I do think that Royal Enfield have finally created something worthy of their name and the hype associated with it. Below is a short list of my likes and dislikes, detailed explanation follows at the end:

1. Extremely smooth engine and gearbox combo
  2. Extremely smooth throttle response and fueling
  3. Beautiful stock exhaust note
  4. Phenomenal acceleration for something so heavy
  5. Brilliant clutch action
  6. Spot-on riding ergonomics

Dislikes:

1. Wobble issue on the front
  2. Inconvenient exhaust design and temperature
  3. Virtually unusable pillion seat in stock form
  4. Mediocre Pirelli tires and lack of tubeless setup
  5. Heavy weight
  6. Completely unusable headlight in stock form
I’ve been extremely critical of Royal Enfield for about a decade now, even managed to make some money off the hate for a while! The primary reason why I was so harsh on them, was because they had this amazing opportunity to create something good, with a religiously loyal fanbase and an established brand, but all they did was slowly upgrade from stone age to bronze age technology, with a few bad paintjobs to annoy me even more. I understand that all RE really cares about is profit, but they could at least attempt to be a motorcycle manufacturer too.

With the 650 twins, they have done what I always wanted, use their expertise to create a simple, affordable, enjoyable machine, and essentially destroy the competition. There’s nothing comparable to the 650s in the market right now, not at the 3.5 lac price point. On top of the low on-road price, maintenance is going to be hilariously cheap too I’m sure, compared to similar classics from Kawasaki or Triumph.

This is exactly the type of motorcycle I enjoy owning, it’s like a reincarnation of the first generation KTM Duke 390s. The original 390 was one of the most beautiful things to live with, you just thrashed it until you were tired, and if something broke, you laughed at the repair cost. I was lucky enough to own and ride the 390, and I hope to have the same transcendent level of fun on my Interceptor.

The writer of “6 reasons why I would never buy a Royal Enfield” now owns a Royal Enfield, that says all that needs to be said.

Going into a bit more detail, here are my likes and dislikes for this machine after, an admittedly insufficient, 1000 kms.

Detailed Likes:

1. The engine and gearbox combo is to die for. I’ve ridden a few superbikes over the years, but the feel and smoothness of the drivetrain on the 650s still stands out, especially for the price you pay for one.
  2. Having come from a Pulsar 150, to the Duke 390, and then the Xpulse 200, the throttle response and fueling on the Interceptor is almost magical. This is most noticeable during throttle on-off transitions, you can go from 0% to 0.5% to 1% on the 650, whereas on my Xpulse, it’s 0% or 5%, nothing in between.
  3. Again, coming from thousands of kilometers on single cylinder bikes, the exhaust and engine noise on the 650 twin is utterly beautiful. There’s an engine whine, complemented by the exhaust bass, and some burbling and popping on deceleration. An orchestra on two wheels, and it’s all bone stock.
  4. It’s quick, surprisingly so. Because it looks like a Bullet, you almost get the feeling of riding a sleeper machine, something that looks like a granny, but flies like a gymnast. The weight of the machine accentuates the feeling of unrealism, like doing 150 kph on an overweight rhinoceros.
  5. This is the first bike I’ve owned on which I did not need to adjust the clutch bite point. This may be so from the factory, or adjusted by the SVC, or rrsteer himself, but this small little thing adds to much to the riding experience. Revmatched downshifts on this thing are mandatory, by law.
  6. The ergonomics on the Interceptor are surprisingly good for a stock machine. It’s not a fully upright seating position, nor is it a very committed one. Even the GT 650 is comfy in my opinion, but the Inty feels just about perfect, slight lean forward and good tank support near the thighs, the windblast taking off some of the weight off your wrists.

Detailed Dislikes:

1. The famous front wobble issue is present on my 2019 Interceptor, but not my friend’s 2021 model. On my bike, for anything above 80 kph, taking off one or both hands makes the handlebar shake like a belly dancer’s belly. I’ve not seen a definitive solution to this problem, and since I don’t plan to take my hands off the bars while riding, I don’t particularly care about it, I mean I took the bike past 140 and didn’t die, so that’s good. Tires will need replacing in a couple of months, and that might fix it. I might experiment with 7.5w oil in front forks if it doesn’t, or tighten the coneset if the wobble still exists.
  2. The stock exhausts on this bike sound good, but are badly designed. They get incredibly hot, to a scary level. I had planned to visit my village with my new steed, but that place is swarming with kids, within a minute of me parking the bike will be covered with them like flies on garbage. Imagine the carnage when they spot the large and shiny chrome cylinders conveniently placed at licking height. I’ve even heard you gotta take off one of the exhausts if you need to remove the rear wheel, which is insanely stupid, if true. Still looking for aftermarket exhausts that are small but not loud.
  3. I had the unfortunate pleasure of sitting pillion on my Interceptor for about 20 kms. I have never been more uncomfortable in my life. The primary problem is the position of the pillion footpegs. The rider footpegs on the Interceptor are weirdly positioned too, but the pillion ones are just a certifiable torture device. Your knee is bent at an unnatural angle, and you can’t even adjust your foot position too much because the exhaust is just waiting to melt off your boot. Without some major modifications, including a pillion backrest, this is strictly a rider-only machine.
  4. The stock Pirelli tires are a bit strange, they wear off quite quickly like they are made of some soft compound rubber, but off-road or even on-road they don’t really give that confidence and grip that a soft compound should. On top of that, the tube setup really makes me nervous. Most of my rides happen in Himachal, picture getting a puncture on this 200 kg hunk of iron in the middle of nowhere, you can’t even push it if your live depended on it. I plan to try a jugaad for this, fit a cut-up tube between the rim and the tire, because it’ll be less hassle than Way2Tubeless or Outex. Will report back if it works.
  5. Surprise surprise, it’s heavy. This is not exactly a dislike, because it’s the very nature of the motorcycle, but the weight does show in certain situations. Getting the bike off the side-stand is a challenge for a dude like me who weighs about 1/4th what the bike does. It carries its weight very well when on the move, but you have to be really careful of how much momentum that weight carries with it. You expect motorcycles to stop at a certain distance when you brake, it’s just instinct based on your past experiences. The Interceptor forces you to re-learn those instincts, this thing doesn’t like to stop, or turn, just gotta adjust your expectations, and braking.
  6. The headlight is non-existent, feels like they’ve really gone full-send with the retro theme, and put in one of the original bulbs made by Edison. This is easily fixed though, but again, too many choices. I’m still thinking if I should keep the halogen setup, or switch to an LED. Good thing is that I never willingly ride at night, so there’s no hurry for a fix, but sometimes it’s not your choice to ride after dark, need to be prepared for this emergency.

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2021 at 09:24. Reason: Adding new points from your PM :). Thanks for sharing!
RiderZone is offline   (169) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650

Congrats! Now that search is finally over, enjoy rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
To control myself from ordering anything stupid though, I’ve placed a self embargo on any new purchases until I’ve ridden the bike at least a thousand kilometers.
Best decision.
sukiwa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 15:42   #3
BHPian

Congrats on your new bike, wishing you many kms of happy riding! The best part about the RE Twins are the customization options so don't hold back . Have fun!
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 16:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

You have aptly echoed our feelings as TBHP-ians, in your post. I wish you many thousand miles of happiness. For long rides, I'd recommend either a top case or panniers. Makes things easier. Else, it's perfect as stock. Good luck
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 17:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi Akhil, good to see the bike again through this thread. I so missed riding it this past week. Four days out of seven, my day would begin with a short ride on it to our village and back.

I can tell you, it couldn’t have experienced two more different owners, who are but bound together in their love and admiration for this bike. While you are going to take it places, I would ride it only on a set route. While on your first day of ownership you did a 120kms inter city ride, in over 2years, I don’t think I ever rode it for more than 50 kms at a stretch. And, if I may add, while you look swashbuckling and a million bucks astride the bike, I couldn't look more misfit riding the bike in a flowing kurta pyjama and a loosely tied beard. But what the heck, we both enjoy/enjoyed the bike. Congratulations once again and may you enjoy many happy miles with the bike!

I think my wife summed it up best. As you disappeared from our gaze in that gleaming beauty, she exclaimed (rather tauntingly), finally set free, it lived too long in a gilded cage.

Last edited by rrsteer : 30th August 2021 at 17:35.
rrsteer is offline   (141) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:00   #6
BHPian

Congratulations on your beautiful bike and a big thumbs up to Singh Saab for taking such good care of it. From reading how you rode it not more than 50 kms in one go it almost seems like you babied it. Hope riderzone enjoys many thousands of kilometers on it.
A350 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Congrats! Now that search is finally over, enjoy rides.
Thanks! Yes it's been a nightmarish test of my patience, but the end result is fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
Congrats on your new bike, wishing you many kms of happy riding! The best part about the RE Twins are the customization options so don't hold back. Have fun!
Haha, thanks! I find the whole customization thing very confusing, don't like to decide between too many choices. That said, it looks likely that I will change to a different exhaust, just to not be scared of burning curious children alive, and make things slightly better for pillions. That will lead to an air filter change, but that's pretty much all I can think of right now. No more purchases for at least a month more though, want to give a proper farewell ride to the stock bike first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
You have aptly echoed our feelings as TBHP-ians, in your post. I wish you many thousand miles of happiness. For long rides, I'd recommend either a top case or panniers. Makes things easier. Else, it's perfect as stock. Good luck
Thanks! Yeah I'll look into the luggage options available, been a soft luggage guy till now, but good panniers are always more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hi Akhil, good to see the bike again through this thread. I so missed riding it this past week. Four days out of seven, my day would begin with a short ride on it to our village and back.

I think my wife summed it up best. As you disappeared from our gaze in that gleaming beauty, she exclaimed (rather tauntingly), finally set free, it lived too long in a gilded cage.
Thanks man! I think your wife heard me pulling away in 1st gear, I just love how it sounds, especially off-throttle, get carried away sometimes. We'll meet someday for you to have another go on it, I'm sure the bike already misses how well you maintained it, and how pampered a ride it got I was telling my friends that a lot of OLX ads put "showroom condition" in their descriptions, you did not, even though your bike is the only one that deserves it.
RiderZone is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:14   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on the bike, and very well said about how tables turn when you really meet a good seller, the bike purchase becomes even better.

One reason I got the Interceptor was because of mod potential, there are so many option available both in looks and functions that it can be overwhelming and fun at the same time. While I was reading through your thread, my AEW have arrived, and now I am itching to leave this ongoing call and install them!!

Here is wishing you thousands of miles of safe and happy riding.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 18:47   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations for the new buy. The story on this thread that goes with it is also preserved for posterity and hence another thanks to teambhp. Teambhp has also let us all know how beautiful it is to read about such a great rendezvous of a teambhpian with a fellow teambhpian with his honest intentions. This thread will inspire many more fellow teambhpians to bag better deals within the big family, rather than going to OLX and other such sites that sometimes host fraudsters, especially e-fraudsters as Mr Clean's with smiling e-faces.

The RE Interceptor is a biker's delight. Imagine, I was told by my friend Mr Vernon Franklin, who is based in Australia that there is a RE dealer in Melbourne. And RE bikes are in demand there. His son has recently bought a new Interceptor.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 30th August 2021 at 18:50.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 19:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to the both of you.
Riderzone for laying your hands on a clearly loved bike, and rrsteer for showering the bike with love and attention it demands.
I can relate to the feeling as I too brought home a pre-loved Inty earlier this year.

Wish you a lot of happy miles, and don't hold back on customisation. If there is one bike that was made with that intention, it is the 650 twins. You may have to wade through a sea of options but its a fun journey.

Here is mine after a seat mod job.

Team-BHP’s Gift | My Pre-Loved Interceptor 650-intynew.jpg

Have fun!
hiren.mistry is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 20:21   #11
BHPian

@RiderZone, Thoroughly enjoyed this thread and is very well written. Truly happy for your purchase.
Why not make a ownership log thread ? Would love to read about it.
Till then Keep Revving !

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2021, 22:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Here is mine after a seat mod job.

Have fun!
What is the price you paid for that seat? Looks good

Last edited by Sheel : 31st August 2021 at 08:50. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 31st August 2021, 06:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
The entire dynamic of the situation changes when you trust the person you’re dealing with.
Sure does. I've had the unfortunate experience of dealing with such clowns. In my case, the buyer had already decided on the defects my car had (none of which were present) and started negotiating on the price. The interaction lasted 5 minutes after which I asked him to leave my property, and that I would not sell it to him even if he offered me the price I was asking! Some folks are best left out of the deal cause god knows what they will hammer down on you after the sale. Like yourself, in the end, I got a TBHP'ian which was a relief.

Quote:
To control myself from ordering anything stupid though, I’ve placed a self embargo on any new purchases until I’ve ridden the bike at least a thousand kilometers.
This is the correct approach. Take it slow and see what you really need. I ended up with a military duffel bag made by Trip Machine. Seems better suited to a motorcycle with an upswept exhaust.

Enjoy your new motorcycle.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 07:48   #14
BHPian

Congrats brother and welcome to the Int family. Never knew that a superb machine and an equally superb brotherhood called TBhp could bring in so much of emotions & lessons to a grown up.
Cheers, enjoy the machine.
arpanjha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2021, 09:43   #15
BHPian

Congratulations, man! I loved the Interceptor ever since I test rode it a couple weeks ago. Since I don’t have the funds to buy one used or new right now, I’m thinking of spending my free time as a student to do some side hustles and get the moolah for a used bike. The big bike bug has bitten me, fingers crossed. 🤞🏼
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks