Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 13:18   #16
BHPian

Re: My Electric Discover | I converted my Bajaj Discover 125 to electric with a lithium-ion battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuture View Post
Hi, this is my first thread in team-bhp, I would like to share my experience on how I converted Bajaj Discover 125 to electric with lithium ion battery pack.
Just wow! The amount of patience, perseverance, hard work and most importantly your passion clearly shows. Kudos to you! One of the best and interesting DIY threads that I have read.

Can you please share the approx. INR that you spent on this amazing transformation? Also, how long does it take to juice up the battery to 100%? What kind of charging mechanism(s) have you created?
CarML is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 13:46   #17
BHPian

Re: My Electric Discover | I converted my Bajaj Discover 125 to electric with a lithium-ion battery

Wow!!!! Very neat indeed. You talented folks is the reason i am proud to be in this forum. Inspiring tales.
raghu.bramha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 13:52   #18

This is one of the better conversions I have seen, from a technical perspective. One thing I am curious about is what are the risks of fire in an accident, how does this compare to factory-produced bikes, and if there is any higher risk what can be done to mitigate it?

Additionally could you also enlighten us about the legal, procedural and practical aspects of making it road legal?

And if it's not possible to make legal then what are the maximum penalties and consequences.
FerroVolante is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 14:34   #19
BHPian

What BMS (brand?) have you used for this build? hopefully the thermal management is done properly. I guess the chemistry is NMC?
Old 1st September 2021, 15:56   #20
BHPian

Wonderful work. Congratulations. My only doubt is whether the e-bike would handle as well as the original. I wish you all the best.
sureshkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 15:57   #21
BHPian

Good stuff, efuture. I have been meaning to do a similar conversion but with a higher power motor with higher tolerances. Your thread has definitely given me helpful pointers and inspiration.

Quote:
Actually the impact is huge. I don't know whether it is due to CG shift or due to modifications in chassis, but at standstill and at lower speeds(<5kmph) the bike feels rally heavy and need substantial effort to keep it straight. Once it is on the move it is surprisingly light and responding to inputs far better than regular bikes. After driving this, regular petrol bikes seems little tight. I don't have any explanation for this, because low CG is preferred in auto industry irrespective of vehicle category. I'll take the frame point and check it out
This can be explained, and precisely calculated.
A higher COG will make the bike feel more stable, specially in lean. A bike acts like a second class lever, with the road contact point acting as the fulcrum. The farther the cog is from the fulcrum, the slower the bike will lean, and will require higher effort to cause lean.
Think of it like balancing a stick on your finger. A longer stick will be easier to balance as it leans, or tips over, slower.

From the components you’ve taken out, you can calculate the exact weight difference and difference in height compared to the new components. Using some approximations on effective load points, you can approach the effective shift in cog. Using the equation for a second class lever, can calculate the effective lever arm that’s causing this change.

In the interest of science, ( ) you can repeat this experiment with a lighter and heavier load and see how it changes the behaviour of the bike.
ach1lles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 19:17   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, this is my first thread in team-bhp, I would like to share my experience on how I converted Bajaj Discover 125 to electric with lithium ion battery pack.

Phase-1, Electric Scooter:

Thanks
A big congratulations! Phenomenal work.

Even before you start putting further technicalities in the open, get a company registered as a startup and start a business. You will surely give others some competition.
gauravdgr8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2021, 22:25   #23
BHPian

This is one impressive build! Excellent work efuture!
vsaravind007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 10:01   #24
BHPian

Congratulations efuture on this amazing work. I could not stop reading thru to the end and hatsoff to your perseverance on building this. As others already asked, i also would be interested to know the total amount spent on this work just to get an idea of the cost involved compared to a regular ICE bike.
ramsudhir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:33   #25
BHPian

2Wheeler retrofit is legal now and this vehicle can be certified in ARAI or ICAT. It will cost approximately 90 to 100k to do the same project now including a good base vehicle. I used NMC cylindrical cells and generic Chinese BMS for battery pack.
efuture is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:03   #26
BHPian

Phenomenal is an understatement for the patience, persistence, perception, purpose and perseverance required to overcome all the obstacles to achieve something like this. Without the passion that you have, this would be absolutely impossible. You have not kept the profit angle in mind while doing this, which is most commendable. In this project, both the wheels are free without any direct load mounted into - e.g. conventionally in the e.bikes it is a hub mounted motor. Just a curious suggestion. How about fitting hub mounted alternators in the two wheels to generate some current to feed the battery bank. Of course, this will add load to the required power, but the increase in range could be wonderful. Hearty congratulations from the bottom of my heart .. way to go mate.. keep it up..!!!

Last edited by refaircargo : 2nd September 2021 at 12:05.
refaircargo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 17:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Talk about starting with a bang!!

An amazing and awe-inspiring read, especially since I am not mechanically or electrically inclined. Can only imagine the passion and patience required for such a project. Hats off!!
a_chelat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 07:24   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
Phenomenal is an understatement for the patience, persistence, perception, purpose and perseverance required to overcome all the obstacles to achieve something like this. Without the passion that you have, this would be absolutely impossible. You have not kept the profit angle in mind while doing this, which is most commendable. In this project, both the wheels are free without any direct load mounted into - e.g. conventionally in the e.bikes it is a hub mounted motor. Just a curious suggestion. How about fitting hub mounted alternators in the two wheels to generate some current to feed the battery bank. Of course, this will add load to the required power, but the increase in range could be wonderful. Hearty congratulations from the bottom of my heart .. way to go mate.. keep it up..!!!
And if the total load balancing works out right, maybe this may lead to requirement of a lesser capacity battery and consequent reduction in cost and weight ...
Old 9th November 2021, 13:32   #29
BHPian

Hello eFuture !

Absolutely brilliant work buddy !! This is something I wanted to get done with either a M800 (Restowork on - Thanks to Bhp'ian Leo Sashi and his incredible help with the parts) or a Millicento but the latter was pricy to convert - 5 to 7 Lakhs !

Would you want to work on a project to get about 250 KM of range on a single charge , I am willing to explore options ! Register a company dude please this is good stuff to take to the market and I am sure there are enough who only dream of this bud - Thanks to team-bhp we know who does it now !

Should take it bigger buddy!

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 20:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srini76 View Post
Hello eFuture !

Would you want to work on a project to get about 250 KM of range on a single charge , I am willing to explore options ! Register a company dude please this is good stuff to take to the market and I am sure there are enough who only dream of this bud - Thanks to team-bhp we know who does it now !

Should take it bigger buddy!

Srini
thank you, Yeah, why not - a 250km car will be a really good project to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refaircargo View Post
Just a curious suggestion. How about fitting hub mounted alternators in the two wheels to generate some current to feed the battery bank. Of course, this will add load to the required power, but the increase in range could be wonderful. Hearty congratulations from the bottom of my heart .. way to go mate.. keep it up..!!!
Thank you. Yes, both the wheels are free and we can fit hub motors in front and rear wheels. But it may not add any value since we all know there is no free energy. It does have its own losses and the output may be less than the input energy.

Most Viewed