Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2021, 22:31   #1

Cruiser for a 5'2" lady?

Background

The lady is the wife. She has been riding an Avenger since 2017. I have a used Thunderbird since 2014.

December 2020 when Meteor was out, we went to check it. It was quite tall for her. Avenger is 737 mm. Perfect for her. Meteor is 765 mm.

I went and bought a KTM Adventure 390 as I used up the opening wisely . She enjoys the pillion rides on the Adventure but she misses the action. We still have the Thunderbird - everyone loves the bike and prefer pillioning on it. I am digressing.

Couple of weeks back we went on a day ride from Bangalore to Aiyur Reserved Forest in Tamil Nadu ( untouched by tourists - recommend it ). She felt the lack of power in Avenger. And the vibration that comes after 60-70. Also she is jealous of the Thunderbird.

The 2017 model does not have ABS and I have been asking her to atleast upgrade to the new Avenger which has ABS on the back wheel.

Requirements

My Must haves :

A bike which has ABS - preferably in both wheels.

Her Must haves :

She wants a bike with height preferably lesser than Avenger’s seat height - but can push till 750mm.
A bike which has cruiser stance. No negotiation on this.
A bike which should sound great.
A bike which has chrome ( Damn you Thunderbird ).

Options

1. Royal Enfield 650 CC Cruiser.

Yet to be launched. Rumours are saying March 2022. One of my colleagues in Kerala waited for 8 months for a Meteor and went and bought a KTM. There are funny memes in Twitter with skeletons waiting for their RE.

2. Avenger 400

Not yet launched. No spy photos even. Just some speculations.

3. Vulcan 650

Now we are stretching our budget by a lot. We will have to go for a loan - mind says never buy a depreciating asset on a loan. But heart trumps mind.

Now I am for it. It does not look like a Harley but it has got the soul of the Ninja and has dual ABS.

Sunday we went to the only Kawasaki Showroom in Bangalore - in Langford Road, and they did not have a test ride - nor even a show piece. The sales guy said he will arrange somehow.

The lady is least enthusiastic. I showed her the Team BHP thread on Vulcan and she is now using the cons from it. Like the low clearance the bike has and the dull look a Vulcan has ( no chrome ).

4. Benelli 502 C

The urban cruiser. Personally I did not like the looks - but price was lesser than Vulcan by almost 2 Lakhs and has good gear. But Zigwheels did a great video of it yesterday explaining the C - Cruiser (ok), Cheap(ok), Chinese ( Not ok ). And the lady hated the looks. I thought if I took her to the show room her mind will change, but she refused.

5. Triumph Speedmaster

This one is costlier than our car ( Honda BRV ). She says - when did you buy me a diamond ever? Valid point - but Diamonds are cheaper I think.

Where I need help

I don’t know how to convince her to take the Vulcan. She wants to continue riding the 2017 avenger till a better cruiser comes along.

a) it is not safe
b) I feel guilty and want her to enjoy a well built bike

Are there any other bikes which meet our criteria. Or how to convince the wife on the Vulcan.

Thanks in advance.
vencat is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Cruiser for a 5'2" lady?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencat View Post
I don’t know how to convince her to take the Vulcan. She wants to continue riding the 2017 avenger till a better cruiser comes along.
You can't, her requirements are quite clear and her stand is also correct.

Quote:
Are there any other bikes which meet our criteria. Or how to convince the wife on the Vulcan.
None I can think of.
The limit with the 750mm seat height will rule out most bikes.
Currently the Avenger 220 Cruise is the only one that meets the criteria which you already have.

Future, might see a bigger Avenger or the TVS Zeppelin but if Honda decide to bring the Rebel with chrome that would be a perfect match on your requirements. But all these are hopes with no news as of now.

Its going to be tough finding your bike, wish you all the best
shancz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
December 2020 when Meteor was out, we went to check it. It was quite tall for her. Avenger is 737 mm. Perfect for her. Meteor is 765 mm.
Modifying the Meteor seat may be an option. Actually apart from the Avenger 220, this may be your only option. I dont expect low bikes to be launched in India because of the bad roads here.

You can go the Harley route but that will add so much weight to the bike.
2000rpm is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:29   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I might actually look at a used Harley seriously. Like not the Iron series, but something a little higher up the hierarchy. Prices should be drop dead bottom at the moment. Maybe look at that seriously?

Might cost you a diamond though lol!
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Valid point - but Diamonds are cheaper I think.
No, not the diamond she wants.

Just kidding, have you enquired installing low height seat on Meteor - the new Classic 350 has lower ride height seat as an option, that seems workable solution. Also has chrome and in my short test ride it felt SO much better than any other old 350 REs.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:10   #6
BHPian

If Speedmaster is on your radar, ask Triumph if they can get you the Triumph America model. Just my two cents as I rode the America for some years and Her Highness, all of 5ft, could climb on to the pillion comfortably.
As for the cost, Triumph Motors can guide you better.
mygodbole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She wants a bike with height preferably lesser than Avenger’s seat height - but can push till 750mm.
Did you guys check out the Jawa Perak? IIRC it's seat/saddle height is at 750 mm. Should fit all/most of your other criteria. Not exactly a cruiser but might fit the requirement otherwise.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd September 2021 at 12:25.
ninjatalli is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 12:40   #8
Senior - BHPian

Great to see you have a riding partner at home . most take up riding to escape from theirs
Your wife stand seems very practical on Vulcan.

If you are thinking long term then I can only think of meteor 350 with low rider seat(730mm), but then two similar looking REs ? you might have to part ways with thunderbird.
rajshenoy is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 13:04   #9
BHPian

Maybe she can manage a Meteor, or the new Classic 350 with the optional low seat, with riding boots.
windiesel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 14:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Background

If you are looking at just the cruiser bikes, then there may not be many options at 750mm seat height except avenger and Jawa (though, primarily retro).

If you are open to explore other platforms, you may consider BMW C 400GT, which is modern, safe, feature rich and capable of cruising long distances.
https://www.financialexpress.com/aut...price/2295372/

Last edited by 2500cc : 2nd September 2021 at 14:45.
2500cc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We still have the Thunderbird - everyone loves the bike and prefer pillioning on it. I am digressing.
Which variant is it 350/500?

Quote:
She felt the lack of power in Avenger. And the vibration that comes after 60-70.
My wife, who uses Avenger street 220, doesn't feel lack of power, she rides at 90-100 on highways. If comparison is with Adv390, then it's different engine size and character. Perhaps you could try with a front sprocket upgrade (by 1 teeth only) on Avenger.

Quote:
Also she is jealous of the Thunderbird.
If she can manage its weight, try approaching local seat modifier for contouring seat appropriate for her in-seam length.

I would suggest modify your existing vehicles to suit what your wife requires. If not, only then pursue other bikes.

Quote:
Requirements
Please include Jawa in your search. It has issues in terms of longer waiting period, however that engine has good power for cruising, has chrome variant and ABS. Regular Jawa (Jawa & 42) has seat height of 765mm however seat is thin and narrow.

Quote:
Options
Launch times are not known for first 2. Vulcan has ground clearance issues although it's Avenger upgrade in terms of looks. Benellis are always heavy. For Triumph Speedmaster, have you looked at pre-owned options? And on that note, I am wondering why Triumph street twin hasn't been considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Did you guys check out the Jawa Perak? IIRC it's seat/saddle height is at 750 mm.
Sensible option. Issues are only in terms of mounting luggage and less room on single seat (would need frequent stops while touring).
sukiwa is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:34   #12
BHPian

I don't see the mention of Dominor and Jawa in the post.
Both have ABS and is not so tall.
Dominor is not that kind of cruiser but it is a touring machine.
commonman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 15:55   #13
BHPian

Unfortunately, as of now the only options are the new Avenger or the HD Street twin.
From what I recall, RE offers an accessory seat that reduces the seat height on the Meteor.
You can try that. Meteor is a great all round motorcycle for the price. Or just wait for the 650 cruiser launch. But that may well be another year plus a few moths waiting.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 16:30   #14
BHPian

Interesting query, I am currently trying to get my spouse to take up motorcycling and was considering a pre owned Avenger for her. She is 5ft 4 inches and used to ride a gearless scooter in college. In my perception if your spouse has to keep up with you on a 390 Adv then a RE 350 or a Jawa is the least that may be required. Can't comment on the Benelli and others as I have no experience of them.
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 18:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

How about getting her riding boots which will add some inches? This way you wont need to spend much and she can ride thunderbird with little seat mod.
silverado is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks