Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2021, 19:43   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Cruiser for a 5'2" lady?

I’m going to give a sideways suggestion here. Sign her up for some high quality motorcycle riding training lessons (around Mumbai there are folks like Top Gun. It will teach her to ride with confidence with just one foot on the ground and other similar measures.

It seems that your wife wishes to flat foot and that in turn is dictating seat height. I am 160 cms short and ride a top heavy Tiger XRX.

If you google Jocelyn Snow she rides a BMW 1200 GSA at 5’ 0” and is an instructor.

Get the riding lessons. Up the skills. Buy the bike of choice (within reason of height and weight) and then work on lower seat etc if you feel the need.
Axe77 is online now   (32) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 22:33   #17
BHPian

The Ducati Scrambler may not be strictly a cruiser, but it is a properly viable option, specially for ladies! If you want to look up pre -owned, you'll save a pretty penny.
redeff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 23:10   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Did you guys check out the Jawa Perak? IIRC it's seat/saddle height is at 750 mm. Should fit all/most of your other criteria. Not exactly a cruiser but might fit the requirement otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
If you are looking at just the cruiser bikes, then there may not be many options at 750mm seat height except avenger and Jawa (though, primarily retro).
Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
Interesting query, I am currently trying to get my spouse to take up motorcycling and was considering a pre owned Avenger for her. She is 5ft 4 inches and used to ride a gearless scooter in college. In my perception if your spouse has to keep up with you on a 390 Adv then a RE 350 or a Jawa is the least that may be required. Can't comment on the Benelli and others as I have no experience of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

Please include Jawa in your search. It has issues in terms of longer waiting period, however that engine has good power for cruising, has chrome variant and ABS. Regular Jawa (Jawa & 42) has seat height of 765mm however seat is thin and narrow.
The Jawa twins, and even the Perak make a strong case for themselves here.
  • Proven, reliable, powerful engine - can cruise all day long on triple digit speeds.
  • Sorted mechanicals in the newer iterations.
  • Low seat height.
  • ABS
  • Retro style, fairly comfortable in long rides. Perak is a looker for sure. Even the twins carry their retro style quite well.

A test ride would put things in perspective. Go ahead, try out one.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 08:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

The Honda H'ness CB350 has 800 mm seat height. Is your wife ok with the bare 50 mm increase?
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 09:12   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The Honda H'ness CB350 has 800 mm seat height. Is your wife ok with the bare 50 mm increase?
50 mm on seat height is anything but “bare” when it comes to seat height, inseam etc. It’s quite significant.

There is a world of difference between a 800 mm bike and and 850. Even 20 mm is a perceptible difference let alone 50 mm.
Axe77 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:17   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencat View Post
Requirements

My Must haves :

A bike which has ABS - preferably in both wheels.

Her Must haves :

She wants a bike with height preferably lesser than Avenger’s seat height - but can push till 750mm.
A bike which has cruiser stance. No negotiation on this.
A bike which should sound great.
A bike which has chrome (Damn you Thunderbird).
Please have a look at this post from BHPian Torino where he lowered his RE Interceptor 650 - Link to the post.

Something similar can be done IF possible. This could open a few more bikes as options for you to select from.

Other relatively cheaper option is to modify the seat and try and cut some height off.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 10:57   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
50mm is 2 inches, which is huge. BMW sells a 'lowered seat' for G310GS which has only 25mm or 1 inch less height.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:41   #23
BHPian

Jawa are quite lower seat heights (all 5), test drive once for other factors.
Old 3rd September 2021, 11:50   #24

Have a Vulcan S 2021 model, and must say its the best for her for the low seat height and enormous power at lower revs (compared to the Ninja it has a heavier flywheel).

The chrome bits are little or none, you can fix that with a wrap or a paint job. As to the grouund clearance ... gonna replace with a bs6 complaint exhaust ... till then I am a little carefull over the bumps, but having scraped many times .. i think the silencer box is serving the purpose of underbody protection adequately

HD is also a good option, but the amount of heat it emanates towards the rider is mind boggling.

With an acceleration to 100 in 4 something seconds, it feels like a real bullet (not the confusing mass of assembled metal that everyone calls Bullet).

Also its got the ergo fit for handlebar, seat and footpeg psitions, which kind of makes it fit "anyone". Except perhaps great Khali or maybe someone who did not grow at all after crossing the 4 ft mark. Although the price is a tad hight for these customizations.

As to the convincing part ... you cannot explain a bike like this one to another. But a ride in the twisties might get the point across ... its got a supreme balance, and the low positiong of the body makes it exceptionally stable while accelerating ! Again cannot be explained ... gotta ride it to know it.

Getting the butter smooth 650 parallel from kawaski at this price point is beyond compare to any other bike in this price range. The heavier flywheel is the icing on the top - great for trundling through traffic.
surajitray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 14:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Sign her up for some high quality motorcycle riding training lessons (around Mumbai there are folks like Top Gun. It will teach her to ride with confidence with just one foot on the ground and other similar measures.

Get the riding lessons. Up the skills.
Agree completely, however this isn't the trend worldwide. I can understand your thinking as you ride both bicycles and motorcycles and riding skills would be aiding you in both.
It's far easier to upgrade hardware(bikes) than software(riding skills) thereby easier to spend money than time.
sukiwa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 18:46   #26

Apologise for not getting back. Things started moving fast after the post here. Also overwhelmed by the Team BHP impressed at the inputs we received.

In Short : We have booked a meteor.

The lady's name is San - San says hi to the Team BHP community!

Here is the story.

Around 3PM yesterday - I send link to this page saying - hey check the responses in Team BHP.

San reads them all carefully and then comes to my room ( we work in separate rooms ) with her arms folded and says - I think I will go with the Triumph.

Thank you Team BHP I said to myself, and asked why? You know it is going to cost a fortune and I started working out the monthly EMI outgo this will take.

We started drooling at the Triumph website. Even checked the location in Bangalore ( have to go to city - we live in Whitefield). Then I reminded her of the Vulcan argument she gave - she wants to put the bike into potholes and what nots - bikes are to be ridden and not be pampered - and these imported cruisers are good for highways and not so much for village or back roads.

She says, haan correct - but what option do I have. Then she herself said why didn't we check meteor - many had suggested.

Thanks to all of you - quoting them below - the meteor suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Modifying the Meteor seat may be an option. Actually apart from the Avenger 220, this may be your only option. I dont expect low bikes to be launched in India because of the bad roads here.
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
No, not the diamond she wants.

Just kidding, have you enquired installing low height seat on Meteor - the new Classic 350 has lower ride height seat as an option, that seems workable solution. Also has chrome and in my short test ride it felt SO much better than any other old 350 REs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Maybe she can manage a Meteor, or the new Classic 350 with the optional low seat, with riding boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Unfortunately, as of now the only options are the new Avenger or the HD Street twin.
From what I recall, RE offers an accessory seat that reduces the seat height on the Meteor.
You can try that. Meteor is a great all round motorcycle for the price. Or just wait for the 650 cruiser launch. But that may well be another year plus a few moths waiting.

Then we started looking at Meteor photos and the cruiser stance ( I think Meteor is a semi-cruiser). I suggested we can weld a foot rest somehow - so you can put up you legs on long stretches. I dont know if it is feasible - but I have faith in the Shivaji Nagar mods who can pull it off.

She said - ok lets check out Meteor. I swiped left the image of the skeleton waiting for RE bike and found the showrooms in Whitefield and called them. They had Meteor for a test ride. Asked about availability - he said - Sir you come here we will discuss.

We had our meetings, then had a quick dinner and went to showroom at 7:30 PM - this is the one near Ascendas Mall, Whitefield.

They had a supernova meteor for test ride. San was in her slippers - when I asked why didnt you wear your thick riding shoes, she says - I want to know if I can still ride with slippers - cannot wear riding shoes for the layout shopping. San is wise I tell you. Or was she trying to find ways to rule out Meteor?

She came back from the test ride with a smile on her face. ( Ok I imagined a smile - with mask I really couldn't make out ). But kind of knew she is sold.

She loved the power burst she got on a slight twist of the throttle. And the brake was excellent she said.

Then we went in and started looking at all the options. San was ok with any colour other than Red. When I asked why, she says I want to be the centre of attention - not the bike. Siddharth Lalji please take note - this is a different demographic altogether.

The waiting time is maximum 60 days. If we do any customisations maximum waiting time is 120 days.

We booked a matte black finish entry level model - to later replace with the touring seat which is 10mm less. We paid the booking amount of Rs.10,000 via UPI, Sales guy gave a receipt and we were leaving.

The manager was just getting off a phone and asked did you like any bikes. We said, yes and we have also booked - we might have done the fastest booking, so please deliver the bike also fastest - something like that.

He said - just now I got off a call - this person had booked a customised bike ( with name embedding ) but now does not want the bike. If you are interested you can check it.

San said ok - lets see it. He says, the workshop closes at 6:30. You come tomorrow. We said fine we will come tomorrow.

While getting back home was thinking - perhaps there is some problem in the bike? This is too good to be true.

But the distance I have travelled with earth ( 44+ years ) I have started accepting such gifts without questioning too much.

Night we saw YouTube channel on Meteor. There is a latest video where they discuss what is a good Retro Motorcycle - it was a blatant push for a Classic 350 but we learnt a thing or two.

Morning we had our usual meetings, then around 11:30 went to the showroom. There were 2 other gentlemen taking test rides and finally they found someone to take us to the Service centre where the abandoned bike was parked.

It was a silver dual colour bike and yes, the name plate was there. The service centre technicians said they can remove it without any scratch. I was joking - if they cannot remove it - can you change your name? Imagine someone doing it!

Cruiser for a 5'2" lady?-img_6664.jpg

Cruiser for a 5'2" lady?-img_6662.jpg

Did a quick PDI and found a few damages on the seat and handle bar - could be during transport. Otherwise the bike was August 21 manufactured as per the sticker. Yet to cross-check online.

If all goes well, we should be on the road to Aiyur Reserve Forest ( need proper number plate to cross border ) - towards end of September.

And once again a big thanks to all who answered to my queries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
You can't, her requirements are quite clear and her stand is also correct.

The limit with the 750mm seat height will rule out most bikes.
Currently the Avenger 220 Cruise is the only one that meets the criteria which you already have.

Future, might see a bigger Avenger or the TVS Zeppelin but if Honda decide to bring the Rebel with chrome that would be a perfect match on your requirements. But all these are hopes with no news as of now.

Its going to be tough finding your bike, wish you all the best

Yes - yesterday while we were there 2 other families came and the ladies were trying out the Meteor and went away. It is high time the bike manufacturers address this segment - they will have a winner like Avenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I might actually look at a used Harley seriously. Like not the Iron series, but something a little higher up the hierarchy. Prices should be drop dead bottom at the moment. Maybe look at that seriously?

Might cost you a diamond though lol!
Yes. She is a big fan of Harley. She even found a few on bikes4sale but they were still quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
If Speedmaster is on your radar, ask Triumph if they can get you the Triumph America model. Just my two cents as I rode the America for some years and Her Highness, all of 5ft, could climb on to the pillion comfortably.
As for the cost, Triumph Motors can guide you better.
Lol! We were in US long long ago - and now when I look back we lost an opportunity to try out the bikes. It is a bikers paradise. San did tell let us get a 2 wheeler licence but I was too risk averse that time. Only after mid life crisis hit me I started biking passionately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Great to see you have a riding partner at home . most take up riding to escape from theirs
Your wife stand seems very practical on Vulcan.

If you are thinking long term then I can only think of meteor 350 with low rider seat(730mm), but then two similar looking REs ? you might have to part ways with thunderbird.
Good one! Biking is better than car because we need not talk to each other you see. Most problems come when we men start talking and hit some minefield unnecessarily

Yes I have to let go off the Thunderbird. Our son is little disappointed on this decision - he had ridden on it on the tank as a child and wants to ride it some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Which variant is it 350/500?

My wife, who uses Avenger street 220, doesn't feel lack of power, she rides at 90-100 on highways. If comparison is with Adv390, then it's different engine size and character. Perhaps you could try with a front sprocket upgrade (by 1 teeth only) on Avenger.
This is a 500 CC - the modern variant with EFI. One of my colleagues and I did a Bangalore-Mumbai trip once. Me in the Thunderbird and he in an Avenger cruiser 220. Also we see lot of Avengers on the high way. It is a very good bike. While I was researching on the Adventure 390 - I realised ABS will be a life saver in some situations - so was insisting she upgrade or at least get the new Avenger with ABS on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I’m going to give a sideways suggestion here. Sign her up for some high quality motorcycle riding training lessons (around Mumbai there are folks like Top Gun. It will teach her to ride with confidence with just one foot on the ground and other similar measures.

It seems that your wife wishes to flat foot and that in turn is dictating seat height. I am 160 cms short and ride a top heavy Tiger XRX.

If you google Jocelyn Snow she rides a BMW 1200 GSA at 5’ 0” and is an instructor.

Get the riding lessons. Up the skills. Buy the bike of choice (within reason of height and weight) and then work on lower seat etc if you feel the need.

Thank you for this suggestion. Definitely will ask San to check these videos and improve her riding style too. I learn a lot from Youtube. I think we should sign up for a defensive / safe riding course if there is one in Bangalore. I have seen videos on counter steering and need to practise this - or even better learn from a good instructor. Any suggestions here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Please have a look at this post from BHPian Torino where he lowered his RE Interceptor 650 - Link to the post.

Something similar can be done IF possible. This could open a few more bikes as options for you to select from.

Other relatively cheaper option is to modify the seat and try and cut some height off.
Thanks for the tip off. Will check. I have to lower my Adventure 390 seat too, I am having the problem San has with 750mm bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surajitray View Post
Have a Vulcan S 2021 model, and must say its the best for her for the low seat height and enormous power at lower revs (compared to the Ninja it has a heavier flywheel).

The chrome bits are little or none, you can fix that with a wrap or a paint job. As to the grouund clearance ... gonna replace with a bs6 complaint exhaust ... till then I am a little carefull over the bumps, but having scraped many times .. i think the silencer box is serving the purpose of underbody protection adequately

HD is also a good option, but the amount of heat it emanates towards the rider is mind boggling.

With an acceleration to 100 in 4 something seconds, it feels like a real bullet (not the confusing mass of assembled metal that everyone calls Bullet).

Also its got the ergo fit for handlebar, seat and footpeg psitions, which kind of makes it fit "anyone". Except perhaps great Khali or maybe someone who did not grow at all after crossing the 4 ft mark. Although the price is a tad hight for these customizations.

As to the convincing part ... you cannot explain a bike like this one to another. But a ride in the twisties might get the point across ... its got a supreme balance, and the low positiong of the body makes it exceptionally stable while accelerating ! Again cannot be explained ... gotta ride it to know it.

Getting the butter smooth 650 parallel from kawaski at this price point is beyond compare to any other bike in this price range. The heavier flywheel is the icing on the top - great for trundling through traffic.
Wow. Wish you had replied sooner. All convincing points. I could not have articulated so well. I think if the Kawasaki dealer had given us a test ride it would have sealed the deal. Daily morning till yesterday I will message him - at least give me the number of some Whitefield owner, I will ping him to see if I can get a test ride. I even called the Kawasaki showroom in Coimbatore ( we are travelling there next weekend ). They also did not have a test ride vehicle.
San loves the RE's 500 CC pull. She would have fell in love with Vulcan.

Alas its Vulcan's loss.
vencat is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 20:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

Wow Congratulations. Nice to see discussion on team-bhp materializing into a purchase within a week. that is quick !!

Curious, did you go for low ride seat or is it comfortable with stock arrangement ? I am sure you will not miss Thunderbird(may be you will miss the vibrations though!!)
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 20:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- But the distance I have travelled with earth ( 44+ years ) I have started accepting such gifts without questioning too much.

- Yes - yesterday while we were there 2 other families came and the ladies were trying out the Meteor and went away. It is high time the bike manufacturers address this segment - they will have a winner like Avenger.
- Well said, sometimes its just luck but do the PDIs thoroughly and let San decide.

- You know how I knew about the Avenger ? My friend's wife was in the same state 4-5 years ago, in the end she decided against it since she got transferred but I was surprised that even after 4-5 years Avenger is still the only option. And I also remember how adamant she was on the seat height being to her liking, everything else was secondary.
Like you said, high time.

Congrats to both of you, do share the pics.
Enjoy the Rides
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 20:39   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

He said - just now I got off a call - this person had booked a customised bike ( with name embedding ) but now does not want the bike. If you are interested you can check it.

If all goes well, we should be on the road to Aiyur Reserve Forest ( need proper number plate to cross border ) - towards end of September.
Excellent. The way things turned around and your waiting time went down from 60+ days to 0 just means the bike was meant for you guys.

I find the waiting phase excruciating, be it a big purchase like bike or a delivery of cat food from Amazon. Getting the bike almost immediately is fantastic!

Congratulations!
amol4184 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2021, 20:53   #30
BHPian

Congratulations. Good choice. Silver looks better than Matt black. My neighbor had bought a matt black. Over time it lost mattness in patches and that doesn't look pleasant.

My only complaint on Meteor (I own one) is stiff rear suspension that hurts your low back. Probably a concern only to those having depleted natural cushion between tail bone and seat like mine :P. If you're planning on touring seat, think twice because it is even stiffer than stock.

Enjoy the trips. Aiyur forests are still virgin, beautiful and serene. >70 kmph is a strict NO.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 3rd September 2021 at 21:02. Reason: Typos
Thermodynamics is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks