Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2021, 14:29   #16
BHPian

Re: My White Horse | Royal Enfield Himalayan Ownership Review

The amount of pain that you have gone through can only be understood by another RE owner. In my experience RE's can't be left alone and standing around. They are quick to take offence and are likely to give you major pain when you are planning to ride them next. I know it sounds stupid but that has been my experience. I also believe that aftermarket electrical goodies like aux lights etc screw up the RE's, particularly the Himalayan, big time. My cousin has had the same kind of troubles as reported by you and they were all due to the aftermarket aux lights. I would suggest that you try one last time and keep the bike stock removing all the external stuff.
A350 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 14:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
And yes, i am also considering selling off my bike, not because of the above said issues, but because of the infamous "Frame Cracking" fiasco.
OMG. And what is that? Do you mean the chassis also cracks up?
Old 7th September 2021, 14:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Hope you find your solution, whatever that is, soon and enjoy the rides.
Just stumbled across this useful post in another thread on how to check a constant battery drain. Although its for cars but the same logic applies.
Although tired, I would suggest give it a shot, worst case you get hands on with some useful technique

Credits to Providers :
sagarpadaki : Check Battery Drain (Tiago petrol : Frequent battery discharge issues, despite new battery)

Last edited by shancz : 7th September 2021 at 14:43. Reason: creds
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 15:08   #19
BHPian

Wonderful writing, hilarious to say the least. You have taken the trouble of writing down everything clearly for the readers' benefit adding photos too. Thank you.
My experience with the RE is as follows.
I have been using RE 350s for more than 30 years now, the latest being an Electra 350 which I bought new in 2014 and used till Jan 2020. I am really glad to say that I have not experienced any of the troubles that many users mention, except some minor problems which were solved by a single visit to the mechanic. I have always considered them as rugged bikes which suit both the highway and city driving equally well. From my teens itself I have heard the old Enfield Bullet being compared to a spirited horse, both being highly temperamental. They used to take a little getting used to. Even in those days the engine would simply sputter and die, especially when you are about to get the green signal at a traffic junction. Starting the engine with the kick lever was a risky affair, for there was the grave danger of the lever kicking back on your foot with unbelievable force. But once you get the knack of it, the thrill begins. The introduction of the UC Engine and the shifting of the gear to the left side changed the whole thing. I still bought the Electra because it offered the heel-toe shift and self-starter.
Maybe it's because I had stepped up from the Yezdi 250 to the Bullet that I enjoyed it so much. (You can't even imagine the troubles I used to have with the Ideal Jawa Yezdi 250.) Anyway I hope you will find another bike that you will love as well as ride to your heart's content in the very near future. Please keep on writing.
sureshkumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 15:26   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Now to the main part, the part for what I bought the bike. Let me start with the positive experience first since it’s few and far in between.
Wonderful review buddy. Reading each line i felt through your pain and happiness. You seem to have put your heart to get the beast. I sympathize with you as i had the same journey with Bajaj Avenger street 220, i had to sell it within a year due to the niggles and lack of peace of mind.

Your post has woken me up again from the dream of Himalayan- i was just customizing the bike from past two weeks planning to book it, but not anymore this review just woke me up again

Last edited by PioneerNB : 7th September 2021 at 15:27. Reason: spell check
PioneerNB is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 18:05   #21
BHPian

Straight-up hilarious, and aligns with what I heard from my freind about RE in general - the SE attitude, general inability to resolve their faulty machines etc. This actually drove me to buy Bajaj Avenger 220 cruise.
loneagl09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 20:11   #22
BHPian

In advance, I'm sorry...but I haven't laughed this hard in forever 😂

I feel bad that this capable machine has been so poorly managed by RE and their SVCs. It really could've been (and is too for so many), the ONE!

Personally, I have had a pleasant experience so far. Any issues I have are what I knew of the bike before buying it itself, so cannot blame anyone.

I wish you a pleasant experience with the next one and that you get to do all rides as planned!

( Regardless, cannot wait for your next review 😂 )
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2021, 22:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

That's a hilarious review written for the Himalayan! I feel that overall it's a good bike let down by bad service and QC at the factory end. I can understand your feelings when you say that you will look out for another bike. I can sense that you have put your soul into the bike and you still love it somewhere in the corner of your heart! But as you said, the niggles are too many and it's best to sell the machine and move on. The show must go on, and some other bike must take this one's place on the stage! Good luck with your new bike search and looking forward to reading a review of that new lucky bike soon!
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 06:44   #24
Senior - BHPian

Oh my.

I did enjoy reading your ownership experience. It sounds like there were telling signs to avoid the bike right from the start, that is, when you went out to buy one. Personally; I will tolerate one dealer messing up but to have two or more of them act careless is too much. Its unacceptable.

This must be the only model under Lal's reign at Royal Enfield that has gone through a lot of problems and iterations to get it right. I am not even sure if the current one is all sorted. Only time will tell.

I did enjoy the Himalayan on a brief test ride I took years ago. Seat comfort and posture were the highlights for me. Could have had a little more power though. There was no plan to buy one. Just wanted to experience something that was all new from the RE stables. I can't say if it was the same dealer. This place was located just beside the start of the airport expressway, near Yelahanka.

You talk about a crucial nut falling off. I had a colleague riding a rental Himalayan and the cap for the rear brake reservoir fell off. It is unfair to fault the bike but who knows. Maybe the plastic canister had a poor thread or it just wasn't tightened properly during last service. We managed to secure brake fluid by using a plastic over and rubber band tied around as this was on a Sunday, in Hassan. Everything is shut. These nuts, bolts, tail light assembly and indicators falling off was common way back, when RE was under no responsible ownership. Its hard to believe or digest that some of this can happen even today, when they have some of the best tooling and equipment in the industry. Anyway, I am glad you met some nice folks and they could help you continue your journey. Great networking indeed.

I know a couple of folks who went through horrendous runs with the old AVL 500. Awesome bike when it runs and it was the fastest of its time from RE. However; the endless issues and visits just ruined it for them. Even if I tell them that RE is changed today, they ain't going anywhere near one.

Disc brake pads are constantly rubbing against the disc. That is by design. However; they should not rub or cause drag to a degree where it causes brake pad wear or the bike to slow down. Its like a gentle wipe action against the disc.

The only ray of hope I can give you with an RE is (if you ever own one again), if the service center can't fix or could not care less (Quite often in your case) about a problem, there are a number of good local garages. You must give them an opportunity, even at your cost. I've had the pleasure of dealing with a few and when it comes to the old school RE motors, these local garages are gods. I also doubt if any new or modern RE official service center can handle a old school Bullet. They probably won't know what a tappet is or might snap their ankle trying to start the bike without decomp.

I don't know if its worthwhile. Why not shoot a mail to Siddharth and tell him what you've been through. He is a man of change. You deserve an apology and an all new motorcycle from RE (no, you're not paying for it). I take your side if you don't ever want to deal with them. You have been through far too much.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 16:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Wow, not the usual ownership reviews. Very interesting read indeed. Since you ride so much, you deserve some serious investment on an ADV.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2021, 19:30   #26
BHPian

Ah, just when my itch to buy a new/preowned 'adventure' bike was becoming stronger and I was thinking of checking out Himalayan, I come across first the chassis-snapping-in-two thread and now your ordeal! What a way to cool down my adrenaline :-)

Himalayan seemed to be a good bet for an adventure/go-anywhere + a big enough bike without breaking one's bank balance and also avoiding buyer's regret if one doesn't end up using it to the full potential. Wondering whether the BS6 version is any better now.
Logan2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 12:56   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia View Post
Dude! you are a writer!

Hilarious and sad! I can feel your pain and disappointment!

I can't have the bike decide what to ride and where to go
Thank you for the kind words mate! Though its been a difficult experience with the stage 2 of testing phase, i try and keep my calm just to preserve my sanity Also, if you see a couple of my snaps for the day ride (where I usually cover some 500 - 800 kms in a day), the bag I carry only has spares and stuff for the bike. Nothing for the rider! And, cant agree more on your last statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
There are three things that needs to look into and needs to be addressed-
1- Cable routing of the Evap circuit-
2- The purge valve-
3- The Evap Canister-

And yes, i am also considering selling off my bike, not because of the above said issues, but because of the infamous "Frame Cracking" fiasco.
Thank you for the suggestions! I will surely get them looked at when I drop the bike for the last service before I give the bike away. One thing I noticed is, the starting problem has not occurred off late. So, in my bike, I think it had a different cause. And frankly, each of the part on this himalayan can cause a different issue in each of the bike in my opinion, no bike is the same in this case! Good that you are considering to part with the bike. Always better to book losses than part with parts of us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msarunms1987 View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed your writing - You are one heck of a writer, sir!

I had the same problem of low beam not working (although I did not have AUX lamps). I guessed that something was wrong with the switch.

All that said and done, just last month, I sold my Himalayan to a friend, another Royal Enfield enthusiast who happily welcomed it with open arms.

He earlier rode a 500cc and is not new to RE niggles!
Thanks for them kind words sir! Glad you had some good experience with the bike. Niggles can come up with any bike and am ok with those. But the level to which it can frustrate is possible only with RE I think!

And yes, I have tried the WD40 route. It didn't work with the issue. Not sure if its the switch issue, will have them looked at. Thanks for pointing that out. Also, I hope your friend is having a good time with the bike.

Quote:
Brilliantly written dude kudos
I was laughing for the first few sections before grimness of the shutoff incidents during overtaking sunk in but your writing is fabulous.
Looking forward to more threads from you but with happy experiences.

Off the bat if it had happened to me I would just spray some WD40 into the switches and most importantly the ignition-lock cylinder and ensure that the contact is proper.

From one of your videos
When you switch on the ignition both your indicator's indicator lights seem to blink for a split second in a non-normal way which I haven't seen in other Himalayans I have ridden.
This indicates something wrong with the electrical system/wiring which might also affect your ignition, in turn leading to Issue 1 and Issue 2.

If I had to resolve it, I would get rid of all accessories and restore the wiring to stock even if that meant changing the complete wiring.
Also get the front instrument panel checked.

Listing out the stuff to be checked if you haven't :
First : Since it has been used and seems quite possible as the reason and solution (Credits to Rakesh_r)

Second, in order : Since it's a guess
  1. key-ignition cylinder : Issue 1/2
  2. side stand engine cut-off sensor/system : Issue 1/2
  3. instrument panel and switch wiring : Issue 1/2 and headlight/horn issues
  4. electrical wiring : Issue 1/2 and headlight/horn issues

Hope you find your solution, whatever that is, soon and enjoy the rides.
Thank you for your kind words sir! Yes, i have tried the WD40 in the ignition lock cylinder but did not work. But hope the starting problem will not come up again since it seems to have been resolved.

The indicator lights blinking is because of the Simtac hazard light module I have installed. Its not stock to himalayan. Out of frustration,I did remove all the electrical related accessories I had installed and used the bike for a couple of months. I also got all the wiring checked by the service center guys. But the result did not change one bit, except making me feel guilty for buying things and removing them. So got them back on and then started looking for answers. I will get the service center folks have a look at the side stand sensor if there is some malfunction of the sorts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
In advance, I'm sorry...but I haven't laughed this hard in forever 😂

I feel bad that this capable machine has been so poorly managed by RE and their SVCs. It really could've been (and is too for so many), the ONE!

Personally, I have had a pleasant experience so far. Any issues I have are what I knew of the bike before buying it itself, so cannot blame anyone.

I wish you a pleasant experience with the next one and that you get to do all rides as planned!

( Regardless, cannot wait for your next review 😂 )
Glad you had a hearty laugh mate and you are the himalayan guru sir, you will not have issues on the bike for sure. Each bike is unique and mine was a miss. Agree with your comment on it being a capable machine! I still love it for the highly comfortable ride it gives, but simply tired to try more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Oh my.

I did enjoy reading your ownership experience. It sounds like there were telling signs to avoid the bike right from the start, that is, when you went out to buy one. Personally; I will tolerate one dealer messing up but to have two or more of them act careless is too much. Its unacceptable.

This must be the only model under Lal's reign at Royal Enfield that has gone through a lot of problems and iterations to get it right. I am not even sure if the current one is all sorted. Only time will tell.

I did enjoy the Himalayan on a brief test ride I took years ago. Seat comfort and posture were the highlights for me. Could have had a little more power though. There was no plan to buy one. Just wanted to experience something that was all new from the RE stables. I can't say if it was the same dealer. This place was located just beside the start of the airport expressway, near Yelahanka.

You talk about a crucial nut falling off. I had a colleague riding a rental Himalayan and the cap for the rear brake reservoir fell off. It is unfair to fault the bike but who knows. Maybe the plastic canister had a poor thread or it just wasn't tightened properly during last service. We managed to secure brake fluid by using a plastic over and rubber band tied around as this was on a Sunday, in Hassan. Everything is shut. These nuts, bolts, tail light assembly and indicators falling off was common way back, when RE was under no responsible ownership. Its hard to believe or digest that some of this can happen even today, when they have some of the best tooling and equipment in the industry. Anyway, I am glad you met some nice folks and they could help you continue your journey. Great networking indeed.

I know a couple of folks who went through horrendous runs with the old AVL 500. Awesome bike when it runs and it was the fastest of its time from RE. However; the endless issues and visits just ruined it for them. Even if I tell them that RE is changed today, they ain't going anywhere near one.

Disc brake pads are constantly rubbing against the disc. That is by design. However; they should not rub or cause drag to a degree where it causes brake pad wear or the bike to slow down. Its like a gentle wipe action against the disc.

The only ray of hope I can give you with an RE is (if you ever own one again), if the service center can't fix or could not care less (Quite often in your case) about a problem, there are a number of good local garages. You must give them an opportunity, even at your cost. I've had the pleasure of dealing with a few and when it comes to the old school RE motors, these local garages are gods. I also doubt if any new or modern RE official service center can handle a old school Bullet. They probably won't know what a tappet is or might snap their ankle trying to start the bike without decomp.

I don't know if its worthwhile. Why not shoot a mail to Siddharth and tell him what you've been through. He is a man of change. You deserve an apology and an all new motorcycle from RE (no, you're not paying for it). I take your side if you don't ever want to deal with them. You have been through far too much.
Thank you for the kind words sir! I hope the current bikes are sorted, for I see a lot of them on road these days. Else, it will be a huge pile of metal in service centers, which I hope doesn't happen.

You are probably right, I did not read the signs properly when I was out buying it. This is the second time it has happened, the first time where I bought a Hyundai Accent and that turned out a magnet! People would just come and bang into it even when it's parked safely! I remember the sales guy ask me if everything was ok when I went to take delivery, the gut feel was that bad and yet I kind of went for it! Can't escape destiny can ya!

On the disk pad, if I spin the wheel, it kind of stops like how a wheel stops when you apply break. So, it is probably rubbing too much I think, right? Will probably make a video and post it. And it is only on the rear wheel, the front seems fine.

Agree with your assessment of the RE service. I thought of going the FNG route but was really not sure how bad or how deep the issue was. In case it needed a lot of parts to be replaced which would have to be done under warranty, I would again have to bear the cost for them. As it is, there have been a lot of parts that have got replaced going by what the service center manager explained. So, that was the reason of me not opting for FNG. Else, I have always got my Rx 135, my dad's scooter, my brother's splendor and other bikes in the family in a private service center.

I will surely drop a note to the big brass of RE and probably Mr Lal, if I get a hang of his ID (or probably tweet), once I get the final service done. What I am looking out of it is not a new bike, (don't think they will do that and even if they do, i'd let it pass) but some sort of an acknowledgement for messing up on my experience or like you said, an apology for wasting my time and energy! It will not be wrong on my part asking for remuneration since I have been a part of the stage 2 testing team!

Once again, thank you for all the kind words folks! It sure helps ease the pain of transition from her to it!
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 14:25   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepilgrim1424 View Post
- So got them back on and then started looking for answers.

- And it is only on the rear wheel, the front seems fine.

- It sure helps ease the pain of transition from her to it!
- So not an electrical issue then. For Issue 1 my last guess would be clogged injectors or faulty spark plug which I guess you would've already checked.

- The driven wheels don't rotate as freely as the free ones(seems as if the brake is slightly brushing) but it shouldn't refuse to rotate or stop abruptly. Didn't pay any particular attention to this but rotating the rear wheel, by hand, on main stand to oil the chain shouldn't involve any noticeable effort.

- Tough Luck, after all the efforts you've put in it hurts. I remember having a similar discussion with my friends after the launch of the 650s. Ex and current RE owners, they said that the bikes are getting better but whatever they do their service centers will ruin the experience. This is sadly true, even today.

For your pipeline, apart from the VStrom, give the 390Adv a shot too.
VStrom is excellent but too pricey and a bit dicey on its future in India but if you are done with single cylinders then VStrom is good.
The 390Adv although expensive seems VFM as compared to the VStrom

Last edited by shancz : 9th September 2021 at 14:32. Reason: grammar
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 16:39   #29
BHPian

@thepilgrim1424 - amazing review. You have an awesome head for details & expressing them (auto noise reduction, day light sensor, mood based lighting etc). Brings a smile to your face even though you realize the wry humor that you have developed after having faced the associated pain points behind it.

I can completely empathize with you and understand the pain that you have gone through after having been a part of stage 2 testing myself; albeit with a different RE product - The Classic.

Maybe there were telltale signs which I didn't realize (was too inexperienced then) when i picked it up in 2012 even after hearing horror stories of RE's.

From pushing the bike atop a flyover (because it stopped midway during the climb) and then 2 kms beyond to find a mechanic (as the battery gave up in its 9th month) to a short-circuited ampere meter (again while on a flyover climb - wonder what's the connection between me and the flyovers) and multiple broken clutch wires - have experienced them all.

Became a semi hands on mechanic and started carrying an assorted set of tools and a extra clutch wire every time i stepped out to ride (city or highway).

Eventually sold it of 2019 because of the 'What-If' factor and to retain my peace of mind.

Bought a Bajaj Dominar but went back to a RE again recently. Mentioning the post link here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5112727 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)).

Last edited by ThePatientMan : 9th September 2021 at 17:07. Reason: Word recently mentioned twice in last sentence
ThePatientMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2021, 20:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
- So not an electrical issue then. For Issue 1 my last guess would be clogged injectors or faulty spark plug which I guess you would've already checked.

- The driven wheels don't rotate as freely as the free ones(seems as if the brake is slightly brushing) but it shouldn't refuse to rotate or stop abruptly. Didn't pay any particular attention to this but rotating the rear wheel, by hand, on main stand to oil the chain shouldn't involve any noticeable effort.

- Tough Luck, after all the efforts you've put in it hurts. I remember having a similar discussion with my friends after the launch of the 650s. Ex and current RE owners, they said that the bikes are getting better but whatever they do their service centers will ruin the experience. This is sadly true, even today.

For your pipeline, apart from the VStrom, give the 390Adv a shot too.
VStrom is excellent but too pricey and a bit dicey on its future in India but if you are done with single cylinders then VStrom is good.
The 390Adv although expensive seems VFM as compared to the VStrom
Well am thoroughly confused as to what's causing the issue. Worse off, I think even the service center is confused on the same issue and that's a bigger concern!

On the brake pads issue, yes it stops abruptly when I am trying to clean the chain. It does take a bit of effort to get the wheel rotating. I have explained to them using this also as an example (showing how it gets stuck when you try to rotate the wheel by hand), but its just brushed off. They say, it will be looked at and I get the bike back with the same issue.

Well, there's no pipeline exactly, but just going through a few of the ownership experiences of the VStorm. We already have a D390, which my brother owns and I use ; ). I have not ridden the ADV390 but I am expecting pretty much same behavior from the rev happy motor. Looking at the VStorm price, it surely is a long shot, but the priority this time would surely be peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatientMan View Post
@thepilgrim1424 - amazing review. You have an awesome head for details & expressing them (auto noise reduction, day light sensor, mood based lighting etc). Brings a smile to your face even though you realize the wry humor that you have developed after having faced the associated pain points behind it.

I can completely empathize with you and understand the pain that you have gone through after having been a part of stage 2 testing myself; albeit with a different RE product - The Classic.

Maybe there were telltale signs which I didn't realize (was too inexperienced then) when i picked it up in 2012 even after hearing horror stories of RE's.

From pushing the bike atop a flyover (because it stopped midway during the climb) and then 2 kms beyond to find a mechanic (as the battery gave up in its 9th month) to a short-circuited ampere meter (again while on a flyover climb - wonder what's the connection between me and the flyovers) and multiple broken clutch wires - have experienced them all.

Became a semi hands on mechanic and started carrying an assorted set of tools and a extra clutch wire every time i stepped out to ride (city or highway).

Eventually sold it of 2019 because of the 'What-If' factor and to retain my peace of mind.

Bought a Bajaj Dominar but went back to a RE again recently. Mentioning the post link here (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5112727 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)).
Thanks for the kind words sir. Reading through your post, I thought dude's lost patience. But then, when I read about you getting back to RE, I was like ThePatientMan has found his calling! It's always a heart over head decision when it comes to such things. Hope your experience this time around is much better. Happy Motoring!

Pushing the bike for that long, I think you would have developed biceps of Hercules by now! Also, carrying a mini service center on your bike has kind of become synonymous with RE bikes I guess! You never know when you will need them.

Going through the 650 twin thread you have posted above, it looks more like the RE R&D team having a conversation on how to eliminate the bugs! I think you guys need to be paid for being part of the R&D team and addressing so many issues!
thepilgrim1424 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed