Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2007, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 150 DTSi 45k report

Hi everyone,

Before I even start, I would like to thank Crazy driver, since it is only after having a look at his article today morning that I decided to also give in a long term ownership report of the first vehicle I purchased, Pulsar 150 DTSi.

BTW, it would also be fair enough for the people who are looking to buy 150 instead of 180. ..Well I see more of 150s in Delhi/NCR than 180s

The Idea:

It was November 2003 and I used to travel about 40 kms everyday for 6 days a week, and my dad's scooter (Bajaj Legend) though an excellent machine (always gave me around 50-55 kmpl) was developing well known nags like clutch problem. In addition, my dad wanted it every now and then for his work as well. That was the time I decided to go independent and decided to purchase a bike. I wanted a CBZ, but the average was miserable, and FE was a concern for me, but I wanted performance as well. the Pulsar 150 fitted exactly.

First Love:

So, on 13th November 2006, I went to Bagga Links, Central Delhi to purchase the bike.

PS. I was going to buy the Non DTSi version

So, here I enter the showroom at 4.30 pm with my mom and dad, and I see the DTSi on display..It was love at first sight..and though there was quite a difference in the price, I knew I could not compromise on this aspect.So, paid 35k and got 0% finance from ICICI on remaining amount for 8 months..It was no big deal getting the finance..but the joy of having something in your name, first bike...was ohhhh..so tempting and made me so proud..Bagga guys gave me the RC then and there..At 1830hrs, I went out to the place where they got the bike that was to be delivered to me, and the mechanic was supposed to fit in the wires, etc. I stood there all the time staring and appreciating the machine that was supposed to be mine in just some time..There was a Non DTSi bike being prepared as well, and I made a snobby face at the person who was getting that bike..Felt pity that he would not have the DTSi..Hard luck, buddy!!! Finally, got the bike at 2030hrs alongwith the traditional coconut, with a mauli around it..It was supposed to bring good luck..Got the tank full by the petrol pump operated by Bagga and then was a proud owner of the DTSi. Back then, having a DTSi was not very common and it sure made lots of heads turn, which made me very nervous and I got a wheel lock attached the very next day...

The Report:

Well, If I go ontalking about the time I got the bike to today, then it would defeat the whole purpose of long term ownership...isnt it?

Well, the bike has 45k on the odo, and to date, touch wood has not had a single problem...the regular service has a major role

The bike continuously gives me 50-55 kmpl. On safety aspect, this bike is quite good..I had an accident where I slipped at 80 kmph due to hard braking on debris..but the wide leg guards helped my legs and though I continued slipping with the bike on one side, my legs werent even scratched, but I got a fractured elbow. Besides the front headlight which got broken, there werent any major repairs to the bike, leave alone my heart which pained for having scratched my bike due to my own fault. The run-in period was adhered to for 1k kms..I know it is on higher side but I never revved it above 3k rpm for 1k kms...Cant even think of driving so slow now..hehe

The only concern I have had to date is the chain set.i have had a second replacement yesterday...got clutch plates,clutch wire, front disc pads and disc brakes replaced once..i think around 35k kms..besides that no major charges ever.the bike runs so smooth..can easily go upto 90-95 kmph..Max is 105 kmph..not above that..

The next on my agenda is to go to Ladakh on my bike with my bro-in-law on his Avenger (I bet he will imitate the Feel like god commercial once he reaches there ). Would love to have enthusisatic TBHPians, if they are willing...

That s the kind of confidence I have on this bike..The new DTSi with the Digital meters looks good, but the Karizma like wings on the front are a show off IMO.

I would highly recommend this bike to anyone who is looking for a decent FE with looks and performance..The only drawback I see is that there are too many on the road..and no matter any day of the week, there is always a lot of crowd at the service stations which lead to a lower service level..IMO the quality of service has gone down, in terms of washing, delivery times, etc. Most often these ppl try to drive you into replacement of parts which are not required at the moment, but I guess that is an industry wide practice...Face same problem with car services also..

The handling of the bike is very good, never does one feel lack of stability, even in the hill stations..Linear accelaration is also good but drops at around 90-95k. One can easily go upto 50kmph on 2nd and around 75-80kmph on third. The rear seat is a bit elevated as compared to the drivers one..So the pillion can see more than you, as was the case with my girlfren, now my wife..Thus could not go above 60kmph with her

The disc brakes are quite efficient and do their job satisfactorily. Overall, a highly balanced vehicle in terms of looks, performance, handling, FE and stability. Only drawback is that there are too many on the road now. I was embarassed to see my daily milkman come on one..

I just love my vehicle, clean it everyday to date, and it has never deceited me. Also, got a rear wheel at 35k kms. The front has not worn out as yet..In summers, I used to face a problem of flat tires. My bike used to get puncture by even a small nail, an dit was so frequent that the cost of getting a new tube and fixing punctures could have had me a set of new tyres...So, I got one and not faced problems since then....but hey, the summer has also just crept in

Any 150 owners facing same problem..

Thank you all for reading my review..Hope you enjoyed it

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th February 2014 at 16:26. Reason: Adding content that was in your other (duplicate) thread but not this one.
cutdcrap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2007, 06:53   #2
BANNED

Congrats for the review. Pulsar is a sturdy vehicle, IMO.

But, expected a more elaborate report.

Last edited by mithun : 24th May 2007 at 06:55.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:39   #3
Team-BHP Support

Few more threads on the Pulsar 150 DTSi:

Ashis89's ownership report, including cost break-up of the 3.5-year ownership.
LINK

Advantages/disadvantages of the Pulsar 150.
LINK

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 13th February 2014 at 16:38. Reason: Heavily viewed Pulsar 150 thread, so adding some more links.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks