Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2007, 10:31   #76
Senior - BHPian

saw one on the ECR. Guess it was doing 60kmph plus. HAd alloys. The bike felt damn smooth.
Old 5th June 2007, 11:28   #77
Senior - BHPian

I'm hoping it will become smooth as odo keeps moving...
I have done close to 900KMs in past 12 days..
After the first service, the bike's feeling far better..
Looking for some guildelines on how to season my bike! what speed variations! what distance at before you break for rest and things like that....
Old 5th June 2007, 11:51   #78
BHPian

Ketan,
Read and follow this to the T, you will attain the tech nirvana:

The Bullet: Mystries & Myths - Men and the Science of Bullet Maintenance
Old 5th June 2007, 11:55   #79
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ram,,
This is Nandan's knowledgebase.. I already have that in my favorites,, I'm just too lazy to go over everything for now,, may be I'll finish few sessions thats required for now and keep moving on them slowly....
Thanks buddy..
Old 5th June 2007, 12:07   #80
BHPian

A lazy bulleter is a perfect receipe for disaster LOL...get up now :-)...have fun mate you would love it...once you are done with this...next step is to get Pete's CD on Bullet Maintenance.
Old 5th June 2007, 13:17   #81
Senior - BHPian

The most difficult thing in this world is to change yourself (for me at least!!). I'm in the middle of that for sometime now. I'll surely go thru all of them soon,,,Just sent an email to Nandan asking him for the CD. now what is this Pete's CD??
Old 5th June 2007, 14:58   #82
BHPian

Its almost a bible for Bull maintenane. Nandan sells it in India. the reply you might get from Nandan is for that CD...Nandan does not sell his articles. You can view Pete's overview at:

Pete Snidal's Royal Enfield Bullet Manual - NEW!
Old 5th June 2007, 15:48   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I dont have Tacho on this Mach.. I guess I'm just listening to the engine before I shift up/down
I use full clutch during the gear shift and ensure that I do not rev it while shifting gears... I had been to a long ride but never went beyond 60KPH yet on my bike...
However, I'm open if someone can ride with me and give me some tips..
Thank you..
Well, let it not rev too much while shifting gears.

Tbird cruises at 2000 RPM for 50kmph on 5th... so you can get an idea... Infact stick to the engine RPM at 50kmph for gear changes.
In short, shouldn't rev too much another way is the rpm where you can do a slip clutch...
(ok ok, I accept it's a weird calculation but alteast an approx idea)

It's like a woman, not a teen girl waiting to break loose, you got to go slow... you go fast you loose her...

Samy...
Old 9th June 2007, 23:16   #84
BHPian

Quote:
second thing is the gear box,, my 9 years old HH has got better gear shift than this - its difficult shifting up/down between 2nd and 3rd gear and while down shifting most of the time it looks like its going to neutral after every downshift, not sure though,, I'm still getting used to it and it feels lil better than the first day because I now know how to shift up/down.. but its not so smooth. shifting to neutral is a pain most of the time..
That is why i love the neutral finder on the Electra 4s and the Standard! Believe me, in the chaos that passes for the Chennai roads it is god given bliss to be able to shift directly into neutral with a tap rather than having to wrestle with that mechanism!

About running in and what to do, what not to do etc. i love the information given at this site - -=MototuneUSA Motorcycle Performance Roadracing Superbikes & Wild Girls. But of course, Nandan's site should be the first stop. I have been using the techniques described at the mototune site and i can tell you that i am feeling the difference in top speed, pick up and mileage! My Electra 4s can go up to 120 kmph top speed and pull past 30 kmph in 1st gear without any engine strain. The petrol mileage (for this Cast iron) engine is 40 kmpl (60:40 - highway:city driving).

And i would love to know if anybody else uses a similar technique to run in their bikes - esp Bullets.
Old 10th June 2007, 08:24   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks balashome,,
motoman tricks looks interesting..!! I have already run 1000KMs would I still be able to use them?
Old 10th June 2007, 20:06   #86
Senior - BHPian

OT: Since all the bullet guys are on this thread i didn't want to start another one to ask this question. Please excuse me guys.

Could you please tell me what speeds you can achieve in each gear on the machine you ride - be it AVL350 or STD350 or Electra 4S/5S or Bullet 500 CI/AVL.
Old 11th June 2007, 15:13   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks balashome,,
motoman tricks looks interesting..!! I have already run 1000KMs would I still be able to use them?
Ketan,

I dont think so - Motoman specifically refers to the first 30 kms of a new engine as the best time to 'run it in'. But i might be wrong, maybe you can contact some of the really experienced people at the RE site to see if they can give you their opinions.
Old 11th June 2007, 17:54   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balashome View Post
Ketan,

I dont think so - Motoman specifically refers to the first 30 kms of a new engine as the best time to 'run it in'. But i might be wrong, maybe you can contact some of the really experienced people at the RE site to see if they can give you their opinions.

I guess most of the vehicle we get the delivery for are run around 20-25 KMs as they have to get the vehicle to the RTO for registration and bring it back to showroom before they deliver it to you. In that scenario,, its not going to be possible that you get the vehicle right out off the mfg unit.
I shall try to contact him over email and find out more specific details.
Thanks...
Old 12th June 2007, 21:20   #89
BHPian

Just a small update. The 40 kmpl does seem to be an aberration rather than the usual figure. This time i got only 34 kmpl, but it did involve a lot of city driving. Still, these are not figures to complain considering what other Bullets get in terms of mileage.

About getting delivery only after 20 kms, i have seen one or two mechanics abuse the bike heavily while delivering the bike to the showroom. That bit might actually help us in this! Still, i dont think 30 km needs to be a hard and fast figure. However, 1000 kms does seem to be quite far off to radically change techniques.
Old 20th June 2007, 16:46   #90
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ketan,

You have since bought the 500 AVL Machismo.
Dwarak

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks