Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 17:43   #16
BHPian

Re: High security number plate in Karnataka?

Well, I just saw a new car delivered and it had the HSRP plate.

This plate was issued directly by the RTO (I am talking about Bangalore KA), and is completely White with just a Blue IND on the Left. No Blue band like in the picture in the post above. I do not remember if there was a hologram or not.

Of course the RTO obviously has approved or empanelled vendors who make these plates.

In addition to the plate a sticker is issued (for the windshield) that has the registration number on it. The sticker looks like it has a chip in it, but I might be mistaken.

This sticker is humongous and is in the exact colour combination of a certain political party; and I was told that this sticker was mandatory and that the dealer had to upload a photo of the car with the sticker attached to the RTO for them to issue the RC.

So, there you have it - it looks like KA has indeed implemented a policy for HSRP, at least for new cars.

Cheers

Last edited by tilt : 19th December 2021 at 17:44.
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 18:07   #17
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
At least until HSRP is officially rolled out in Karnataka, I hope a circular could be issued that clearly states that the currently issued non-standard IND plates are legal. This is necessary, since some shops emboss the letters of the rear plate in non-standard sizes due to a space shortage because of the IND logo.
HSRP has not been implemented in Karnataka for older vehicles, it's only for new vehicles currently and the dealer arranges to get this done at the RTO before delivery of new cars.
To avoid harrasment by traffic cops, I got the embossed plates with just IND and without any blue/black/red strip/panel/band and also without the "INDIA" watermark kind of sticker.

Number plate dealers in your locality who usually also double up as helmet & accessories dealers should have this available.

Had posted about the plates that I got for our Wagon R here (Our 2016 Glistening Grey Maruti WagonR VXi - Waggy® meets Dizzy®).

Last edited by NPV : 19th December 2021 at 18:10.
Old 19th December 2021, 23:16   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Well, I just saw a new car delivered and it had the HSRP plate.

This plate was issued directly by the RTO (I am talking about Bangalore KA), and is completely White with just a Blue IND on the Left. No Blue band like in the picture in the post above. I do not remember if there was a hologram or not.

Of course the RTO obviously has approved or empanelled vendors who make these plates.

In addition to the plate a sticker is issued (for the windshield) that has the registration number on it. The sticker looks like it has a chip in it, but I might be mistaken.

This sticker is humongous and is in the exact colour combination of a certain political party; and I was told that this sticker was mandatory and that the dealer had to upload a photo of the car with the sticker attached to the RTO for them to issue the RC.

So, there you have it - it looks like KA has indeed implemented a policy for HSRP, at least for new cars.

Cheers
Even when I bought my bike, the registration plates did not have any blue partition on them, only the IND is in blue and there's a hologram both on the front and rear plate. The number is clearly visible and uniform throughout in size.

I was also told this plate is issued directly by the RTO, so i think they have approved this format for all vehicles.
Old 30th December 2021, 23:13   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavBHP View Post
It would be nice if you could edit your post to link to the tweet and/or post a screenshot
Earlier I wasn't able to find the tweets, hence didn't include them. I dug more and found these:
https://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/s...05952732876805
https://twitter.com/cpblr/status/133...364673?lang=en
https://twitter.com/blrcitypolice/st...185601?lang=en

Also, many plate shops still provide the old white plates so just look around!
heysac is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 00:02   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Earlier I wasn't able to find the tweets, hence didn't include them. I dug more and found these:
https://twitter.com/blrcitytraffic/s...05952732876805
https://twitter.com/cpblr/status/133...364673?lang=en
https://twitter.com/blrcitypolice/st...185601?lang=en

Also, many plate shops still provide the old white plates so just look around!
Thanks for the links. Today I was stopped near nagavara on ring road for having non HSRP plates. I told the cop that it is required only for vehicles registered post 2019, but he would not listen. He kept saying that the official fine is Rs.1000, but he can let me go if I pay Rs.500 offline and promise him that I will get ind plate today. Finally I gave him Rs.100 and he let me go. I wanted to argue further, but had family in the car and didn't want to spoil my mood by fighting.
Old 31st December 2021, 00:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlearner View Post
Thanks for the links. Today I was stopped near nagavara on ring road for having non HSRP plates. I told the cop that it is required only for vehicles registered post 2019, but he would not listen. He kept saying that the official fine is Rs.1000, but he can let me go if I pay Rs.500 offline and promise him that I will get ind plate today. Finally I gave him Rs.100 and he let me go. I wanted to argue further, but had family in the car and didn't want to spoil my mood by fighting.
You just had to ask him to issue a formal challan and he would have let you go especially if everything else was in order!
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 06:26   #22
BHPian

Quote:
You just had to ask him to issue a formal challan and he would have let you go especially if everything else was in order!
He could have still issued a defective number plate challan, and onus would be on you to contest it in the court. Court would assume your normal white plate may have issues like fancy lettering or small plate etc from the challan ...
rjainv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 09:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjainv View Post
He could have still issued a defective number plate challan, and onus would be on you to contest it in the court. Court would assume your normal white plate may have issues like fancy lettering or small plate etc from the challan ...
Going by this logic, a traffic cop can always stop and ask for money. They could always issue a fake ticket for not wearing a seat belt since there is no proof. If they did issue a wrong ticket, you could take a pic and upload it to Twitter by tagging the police handle. I don't think any cop would issue a ticket without reason. It helps to be polite, explain the situation and then ask to issue a ticket if they don't agree. However, most of the times they find some problem or the other like outdated PUC etc.
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 14:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
However, most of the times they find some problem or the other like outdated PUC etc.
I think in many cases vehicles are stopped by traffic police for defective registration plate, not for HSRP. I have checked our apartment parking area and saw number of registration plates with blue IND stripe, that is in fact defective. If it is not HSRP, we need to ensure that it is following existing norms, which prescribes nothing else should be there except the registration number and fonts need to be of certain size plus no fancy letters. I had removed Team-BHP stickers from my registration plates to comply.

Last edited by airbus : 1st January 2022 at 14:33. Reason: Grammer.
Old 2nd January 2022, 13:53   #25

Quote:
My friend was caught for his 2017 car for non hsrp plates on ORR near Marathahalli. He argued but cop wouldn't listen. He was given challan for Rs 1000 for number plate violation. I think it's a systematic harrassment by traffic police. What can we do about it?
Old 2nd January 2022, 15:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp1234 View Post
My friend was caught for his 2017 car for non hsrp plates on ORR near Marathahalli. He argued but cop wouldn't listen. He was given challan for Rs 1000 for number plate violation. I think it's a systematic harrassment by traffic police. What can we do about it?
Did you see the registration plates or photos of it to confirm that those are not defective?

If I am fined for non-HSRP plate, I will take photos of the challan along with registration plates and immediately tweet to @blrcitytraffic, @AddlCPTraffic and @CPBlr. This will confirm the time of the incident and condition of registration plates at the time of challan. Police personnel involved and the location will be taken care by my dashcams, which can be used later to raise grievance.

Last edited by airbus : 2nd January 2022 at 15:37. Reason: Grammer.
Old 5th January 2022, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftp1234 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Did you see the registration plates or photos of it to confirm that those are not defective?

If I am fined for non-HSRP plate, I will take photos of the challan along with registration plates and immediately tweet to @blrcitytraffic, @AddlCPTraffic and @CPBlr. This will confirm the time of the incident and condition of registration plates at the time of challan. Police personnel involved and the location will be taken care by my dashcams, which can be used later to raise grievance.
I agree with airbus here, check whether the number plates are proper and if so, tweet it (after masking some numbers) to these handles and formally register a grievance as well. Police knows who is posted where on which day. We need to push these guys to stop harassing us!
Old 5th January 2022, 12:17   #28

Quote:
I agree with airbus here, check whether the number plates are proper and if so, tweet it (after masking some numbers) to these handles and formally register a grievance as well. Police knows who is posted where on which day. We need to push these guys to stop harassing us!
Yes, my friend's number plates are fine and compliant. I had asked him to tweet immediately.
Old 9th January 2022, 12:42   #29
BHPian

I have a feeling that there is some nexus between guys who make IND plates and the cops. Aluminum plates with engraved numbers can't be made in shops and need a proper manufacturing facility. So there is a possibility of some kind of nexus to boost sales in the garb of HSRP requirements! Otherwise, all these number plates guys are going out of business with HSRP.
Old 18th January 2022, 15:21   #30
BHPian

Hello everyone. Writing a post after a long long time.
First of all, During this third wave, I Hope all my fellow members & their loved ones are fine and healthy.
Just bumped into this thread today. I did encounter such an experience with the Bangalore cops on December 26th 2021 when I was visiting Bangalore for a wedding. This was one interesting experience. Let me explain how the events unfolded that day.

This incident took place at Silver jubilee Park road, Dodpete Nagartapete, Bangalore at around 12:50pm. I had just driven from Puttur to Bangalore and was on my way to my younger brothers place.

I got pulled over by the cops and on enquiry, all the documents were proper. I was wearing a seat belt and a mask too so I was hoping not to be fined this time. But the cop tells me I have to pay a fine of ₹1000 for a defective number plate.

I have been using this vehicle with the same number plate since December 2014 & have travelled to 3 states regularly and have never been fined for a defective number plate violation ever until this point. I tried explaining to him and also requested him for 10 minutes politely. When I asked him to issue me a challan for which I will pay to the court, he mentioned that my vehicle will be taken to the police station and then released. He knew I was an outsider and I would not want to waste my time doing that. But I am unaware such a rule exists either. Meanwhile I Also made a quick search on google and found that, for a first time violation the fine is ₹500 only.
The cop then told me he can charge only ₹500 for the offence this time. I was convinced and paid him ₹500. He quietly pocketed the amount given and told me to leave. I insisted for a receipt, challan.

To my surprise, he first asked me - receipt for what?? I told him to give me the receipt for the ₹500 I just paid. He insisted me to pay ₹500 more if I want the receipt. Also, he told me I would get the receipt for only ₹500. I was patient All this while and when he said this, I immediately started recording the scenes there and said I am going live. This was noted by the the senior officer who asked me to stop recording and talk to him. I denied and asked him to issue a challan or return the money which was taken from me.

The officer might have felt I was serious about the “going live” on camera thing. He immediately issued a receipt and asked me to delete the video and also change the defective number plate soon. I was already getting late and since I got the receipt for the money I had paid, I deleted the video & I carried on, reached my brothers place and tweeted the picture of my car number plate and asked for an explanation if the number plate was defective.

Got a reply later in the evening from the Twitter handle @blrcitytraffic that the number plate was defective as per the rules and regulations. Their tweet mentioned to refer rules 50 & 51 of the central motor vehicles rules 1989.

This reply from them saying that the number plate was defective as per the rules, made me stop pursuing the matter further.

Now, Since I don’t really know which is the correct format as per the rule book, I have still not changed my number plate and have been noticing the new cars being issued IND number plates. I am planning to get one changed for my car and bikes too this week.

Requesting fellow members with new cars to post a picture of a proper IND number plate which, according to the rules is a valid number plate.
Going back to the incident that day, If I had not started recording the events there, may be I would not have received the challan and the cop would have taken the money and kept it with himself.

The reason for sharing this experience is not to show the bad cop attitude. Everyone reading this must know such incidents happen and also, I am still trying to find how a valid Number plate looks like so that I can change the number plates of all my vehicles to that format soon.

I respect the cops for the work they do standing under the sun all day. I also don’t mind paying the penalty too if I am at fault for any violations of the rules. But incidents like these sometimes give a wrong impression and begin the Good cop - Bad cop topic all over again.
Cheers everyone.

Get Vaccinated, wear a mask & Stay safe.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd February 2022 at 16:30. Reason: formatted for better readability
bdn317 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks