Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2021, 12:31   #1
BHPian

Flood of pre-owned big motorcycles on sale?

I noticed a strange thing today. In the Team-bhp for sale section 5 out of 20 bikes on the first page are Interceptors—all ridden below 10k. Also, 14 out of 20 bikes on sale are all above 300cc category (just five bikes are in the 'commuter' category). What's going on? This is the start of winter/holiday season when people usually plan to travel around and would like to put their performance bikes to good use. What's going on?
Attached Thumbnails
Flood of pre-owned big motorcycles on sale?-bike_sale.jpg  

Hoopoe is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 12:35   #2
BHPian

re: Flood of pre-owned big motorcycles on sale?

I believe
ridiculously high petrol prices
could be one of the reasons Normal petrol is retailing at 110₹/lt in Maharashtra, I can not (don't want rather) imagine how much the high octane petrol costs now.
Akshay6988 is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
I noticed a strange thing today. In the Team-bhp for sale section 5 out of 20 bikes on the first page are Interceptors—all ridden below 10k. Also, 14 out of 20 bikes on sale are all above 300cc category (just five bikes are in the 'commuter' category). What's going on? This is the start of winter/holiday season when people usually plan to travel around and would like to put their performance bikes to good use. What's going on?
There are too many HDs now in the used market mainly due to exit of the company from India. Also, no riding during lock-downs has made owner realize that they are indeed holding onto garage queens. Moreover, many used bike dealers have popped up recently.

All this has lead to more inventory in used bike market now.

Mind it: A lot of these could be tempered or not serviced as expected.
sunilch is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:34   #4
BHPian

There are some intriguing factors:

1. Chip shortage: this is causing a huge backlog in the new cars sales and waiting is extending to several months. I am assuming the same would be true for high-end bikes as well since the engine management configuration is as sophisticated as cars in these bikes. So, having a good running superbike is a great asset since buying a new one entails more time and money.

2. If I understand the mindset of the superbike enthusiasts well, they usually belong to upper-middle-class and thus are not impacted so greatly by fuel prices. In any case, superbikes are rarely used as everyday commuters so the 'average kya deti hai' factor might not be too relevant and even with expensive petrol, the 'bang-for-the-buck' works out fairly well.

3. Post-COVID factor: the devastating wave-II is over and with tourist spots opening and riding groups reorganising, possession of a good bike is a great asset. Can't think why folks would choose this particular moment to try to sell.

What I find myself scratching my head about is why would so many budding riders who were bored during the recent lockdowns, and now have the opportunity, and good weather (after a great monsoon season), would want to part with their cherished bikes? I thought it was a momentary aberration but, if it is so, seems quite bizarre. Some wisdom from my esteemed colleagues would be useful.
Hoopoe is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 13:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

I dont think a lot of those are realistically priced.

I find sellers post very high prices on Team-BHP, maybe with an assumption that enthusiasts dont have financial sense and will pay higher prices.

They dont know we are aware of prices at spare parts level and where to source them from

Last edited by 2000rpm : 12th October 2021 at 13:53.
2000rpm is offline   (82) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:44   #6
BHPian

A lot of people are moving in favour of 4-wheelers due to the pandemic as they/their families don't want to use public transports and cabs. A superbike sale might raise enough capital for an additional car in the garage maybe?
Porcupine is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

This happened with Bicycles. During the lockdown people just wanted to go out biking, but then when things opened up, and they got busy they started selling them. Every bicycle retailer (Including Decathlon) were sold out. So I'm guessing the same happening here
Sebring is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 08:13   #8
BHPian

I noticed the same too.

The most sold in the used market RE's seem to be the Interceptor 650. The depreciation with 2 year old vehicles is something like 10-15%.

Anyways, I would recommend holding on to the last IC superbikes you have. By 2025 electric scooters will be the norm.
Mafia is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 08:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Many have relocated to small/home towns due to WFH leaving bikes behind, gathering dust and rust. Better to sell and encash. If they relocate back they might upgrade to something bigger/more aspirational. This reasoning maybe driving up used bike sale inventory too.

-BJ
bj96 is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 14:23   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I dont think a lot of those are realistically priced.

I find sellers post very high prices on Team-BHP, maybe with an assumption that enthusiasts dont have financial sense and will pay higher prices.

They dont know we are aware of prices at spare parts level and where to source them from
I agree with you whole heartedly on this one, most people price it so high that one doesn't even try reaching out to negotiate. Some people on Olx also factor in two year old accessories at full price and expect the prospective buyer to pay for them too. I was in the market for a used Interceptor but am leaning towards buying a new one because of the unrealistic pricing.
A350 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This happened with Bicycles. During the lockdown people just wanted to go out biking, but then when things opened up, and they got busy they started selling them. Every bicycle retailer (Including Decathlon) were sold out. So I'm guessing the same happening here
Really?

Most cyclists I know (including me) have been waiting for the same deluge for the past one year, but everyone seems to be holding on to the bikes, or asking for ridiculous prices.

OLX and Cyclop have barely anything good. Especially road bikes.
ebonho is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 18:39   #12
BANNED

Anyone can buy a Superbike courtesy extremely alluring(at first, if you're taking the NBFC route) credit options put forth especially for corporate employees.

But not many can actually afford to ride one, which is a realisation that hits post purchase. This is not really limited to Superbikes but with any automobile purchase.

If you ride a mere 1000km's a month with anything returning around 15kmpl your annual fuel expenditure is 85,000/-

Insurance for anything with a 5L IDV annually is 10,000/-

Cost of Consumables(includes rubber and lubes) excluding service charge per annum for the above mentioned mileage per year is around 25,000/-

Now in addition to this there is the annual EMI to be paid.

Adding more uncertainties in the name of Covid really makes fighting for this case quite challenging especially if you have other responsibilities to attend to, which I believe is behind the recent used market flooding.

A few whom I personally know are asking a premium in the used market cause they expect a haggle, the rest have no other option courtesy impulsive purchasing in the past, also to consider is the rise in middlemen due to a loss of jobs during the Covid crisis everyone and anyone whose out of a job got into brokering as it is a low investment commitment as by hustling you either loose some time which you have plenty of or gain a penny which you're in dire need of, so that's a no brainer.

And the ones who still have a job would be more than glad to employ services of such middlemen as they'd gladly pay commission considering WFH means they're practically on the clock 24*7.

And there you have it.

If there's a motorcycle you lust after do keep your eyes wide open for that rare posting with a justified price that falls within your budget and be sure as hell to be sure of your budget cause if otherwise the Snake bites you and you'll have to start this cycle all the way from the beginning.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 22:09   #13
Senior - BHPian

In our housing community itself many let go of their bikes. Yes, on Cyclop they're quoting ridiculous prices, and there was a discussion along same lines. That post-lockdown many are selling their bikes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Really? Most cyclists I know (including me) have been waiting for the same deluge for the past one year, but everyone seems to be holding on to the bikes, or asking for ridiculous prices. OLX and Cyclop have barely anything good. Especially road bikes.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 08:39   #14
Senior - BHPian

On enthusiast forum, enthusiast bikes are getting sold. Why is that a surprise? The Interceptor was/is such a good VFM that it sold pretty well for large-ish engine size (hence many for sale) and then Covid-19 struck where a lot of people except the ones from IT felt the crunch and listed their high ticket “lifestyle” purchases for sale. It’s not just bikes. High end cameras, lenses, watches, cars and other gadgets everything went onto the block. And to be honest 650 isn’t a superbike. Discounting HDs there appear to be 2 big bikes for sale which is not very surprising.

Besides probability of people listing expensive bikes on such forums is much higher than someone listing a 2012 Splendor or 2017 Platina. If I had a souped up CGT 650 and an Activa for sale, I’ll dispose Activa on OLX or at a garage but list CGT on tbhp.
May be we are reading too much into it.
amol4184 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 09:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Re: Flood of pre-owned big motorcycles on sale?

I don’t think higher end road bikes of the sort you’d be looking out for would have been bought on a lockdown whim. Someone who suddenly wanted to take up cycling would have more likely bought an entry level hybrid or MTB. Those are the sort of bikes that are much more likely to constitute this deluge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Really?

Most cyclists I know (including me) have been waiting for the same deluge for the past one year, but everyone seems to be holding on to the bikes, or asking for ridiculous prices.

OLX and Cyclop have barely anything good. Especially road bikes.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks