Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2021, 15:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield announces South Pole motorcycle expedition

Royal Enfield has announced a motorcycle expedition to the geographic South Pole to commemorate the brand's 120th anniversary.

Royal Enfield announces South Pole motorcycle expedition-screenshot-20211013-152229.jpg

Two Royal Enfield riders - Santhosh Vijay Kumar and Dean Coxson, will attempt the 770 km long journey from the Ross Ice Shelf via the Leverett Glacier to the Amundsen-Scott Pole station. The 39-day expedition will be flagged off from Cape Town, South Africa on November 26, 2021.

The Royal Enfield Himalayan will be used for the expedition. The bikes will receive a few modifications to make them better suited for the conditions. The 15-teeth main sprocket will be replaced with a 13-teeth unit. Tubeless wheels with studded tyres will be used. The motorcycles will also use a stronger alternator that will produce more current. This will allow riders to run heated gear from the battery.

In preparation for the expedition, the Royal Enfield tested the Himalayan at the Langjokull glacier in Iceland. The tests were conducted in two phases from September 2020 to July 2021.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 13th October 2021 at 15:25.
TusharK is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 13th October 2021, 19:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield announces South Pole motorcycle expedition

I doubt the modifications will be limited to just what has been mentioned.

I do not have any idea how much of below zero temperatures can the steel used for manufacturing automobiles, withstand.

The complete metal body should be able to withstand temperatures of around -25 deg C (summer temperature at south pole).

I have a personal experience going up to 75 deg north latitude in January and the temperatures go more than 30 deg C below zero, wind chill factor can take it up to -70 deg C.

Request fellow members to throw some light on automotive steel regarding the sub zero temperature tolerance.

Thank you.
Brumby is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 17:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Royal Enfield Himalayan reaches the South Pole

The Royal Enfield Himalayan has conquered the South Pole. Riders Santhosh Vijay Kumar and Dean Coxson reached the geographic South Pole on December 16, 2021.

Royal Enfield announces South Pole motorcycle expedition-image006.jpg

The team set off from Cape Town, South Africa and reached Novo in Antarctica for four days of acclimatization. While at Novo, the team also loaded supplies and checked their equipment and motorcycles.

Over the next 9 days, the team covered 3,200 km in extreme weather conditions. Temperatures on the Ross Ice Shelf dipped to -30 degrees as the team was battered with 60 km/h winds. The unpredictable weather forced the team to start their ride from 87-degree South instead of 86-degree South.

Two modified Royal Enfield Himalayan motorcycles were used for the expedition.
TusharK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:10   #4
BHPian

Rider Santhosh Vijay Kumar is a warrior, with a never say die attitude. We rode together for a fortnight across Nepal towards/upwards the Tibetan Plateau in District Mustang in 2011. He accomplishes what he plans. Name:  IMG_20211221_185521.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  132.8 KB
Rider Santhosh with his ride in Nepal/2011 being welcomed by locals

Name:  IMG_20211221_185557.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  141.7 KB
Myself

Wish I could carry his enthusiasm till date.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 19:44   #5
BHPian

Hats off to them. This is quite an achievement and not for the faint of heart.
reinhardt93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 03:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

Man oh man. This is more an endurance (physically and mentally) check for man/woman more than machine.

I want to know what he wore to survive the cold. I can barely survive 5 degrees of a wind chill, riding a motorcycle. Minus 30 degrees, jeez!
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed