Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2022, 17:54   #256

re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The bike looks smashing but the 135mm ground clearance combined with that narrow pillion seat makes this bike unusable for majority of Indian folks.
Absolutely. Those were my first thoughts. The bike looks so butch but does not seem to fit my scheme of things. Was so eagerly awaiting the launch of Super Meteor.

Looks like i need to wait for a more powerful Himalayan or a Scrambler.
gopalggk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:25   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick_4662 View Post
What a smashing looking bike! Would've liked better instrumentation with a tacho. Something more in keeping with the classic looks. Glad to see RE is finally moving to LED lighting. Hopefully it makes it down to other models as well. at 249KG, the bike does seem to be a tad too heavy IMHO.
241KG but still heavy!
ManneAtWheelz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:26   #258
BHPian

This one is a looker and I can see it working in the west (reminds me of the Honda shadow) but may end up being impractical in India; with those numbers it’s gonna need a reverse gear in India.
fjcruiser08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 18:46   #259
Senior - BHPian

The bike for me looks perfect for cruising and looks the part too. It reminded me of some Indian motorcycle models.

The low ground clearance is something a cruiser type of motorcycle has and this will be exported too, so makes sense. I would think a buyer would use this bike, especially with a 650 twin between his legs, on a highway rather than in the city. The Meteor 350 makes sense if it is going to be used in the city more. The pillion seat size I guess is to go with the looks and looks like it is a separate piece and can be removed to have a solo seat. With the kind of aftermarket options we have now, that pillion seat is not much of a downer.
The bike without the backrest and windscreen and with that nice wide handlebar looks neat.

The weight is a concern. I was expecting the same weight as the Interceptor although the weight of the Super Meteor will help on the highways, especially in cross winds which I felt the Interceptor doesn't like much.

I liked how they remembered the Lightening 535 during the unveil and then made it the granddaddy of cruisers in the Enfield cruiser lineage.

- Lightening 535
- Thunderbird 350 (AVL & UCE) - Thunderbird 500
- Meteor 350 - Super Meteor 650.
It makes sense when catering to different engine sizes and price brackets.

Now waiting for the missing model in the Classic pair.

Last edited by tharian : 8th November 2022 at 18:49.
tharian is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 19:11   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
241KG but still heavy!
That's quite heavy ! The Versys 650 is lighter than this, but still very difficult to move while stand still and can't even think what this would be like!

Also, just a 15L tank ? Would have been nice to see a 20L atleast and with about 23 kmpl, that's a decent 400 kms range before a refill.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 19:30   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650 cruiser revealed.

Attachment 2376883
This pic has left me drooling all over.. the perfect replacement for my TB500. What a looker!!
Hope it gives the same sofa like sitting experience as the TB..

The weight is definitely a concern. Waiting for the test ride.
Old 8th November 2022, 20:11   #262
BHPian

Solid work done by RE on filling the Harley Gap.
twin-turbo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 20:19   #263

I have been waiting for this bike since last two years. I've been obsessing over every leak, plus an active Google alert for new titbits.

First impression is that it looks stunning, no doubt.

But that weight factor makes its nearly impractical for me. I'm 5 4 and currently ride an Avenger. Can you imagine pulling this bike back from the parking spot, especially on roads with a little incline? As someone rightly said, at this weight class, it needs a reverse drive if they want to market it for that massive Avenger crowd hungry to step up to a better cruiser.

And that ground clearance! Imagine riding this beauty in Bangalore's potholes +weird sized bumps, often found one after another like a roller coaster. That shiny chrome exhausts will get dinged within weeks!
I'm closing my eyes and waiting for at least 6 months after its launch before even trying a TD.
Theron_blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 20:20   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
The size and padding of the pillion seat seems dismal, even thinner than the interceptor's..sore bums galore! I don't get why RE designers keeps insisting that the pillion seat must not be as comfortable as the front, are they vouching for only solo riders to be the primary buyers? Even if that was to be so, what's the harm in providing a better rear seat?..
The tourer version seems to have wider and a longer pillion seat along with a different contoured rider seat.

The difference is much more apparent in these images.
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-gallery111920x1080.jpg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-gallery71920x1080.jpg
advstreak is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 20:32   #265
BHPian

On some angle, the design reminds me of BMW R18. Also RE upped the ante on the quality of parts. Many of the parts look like machined aluminum. Looks gorgeous.

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-bmw-r18.png

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-whatsapp-image-20221108-14.38.02.jpeg

Just heard the weight is around 240KG. Which is just insane in my humble opinion. They need to reduce the weight. When compared to the Interceptor and Continental GT, the weight is not that increased. However, for a 650cc machine, it is just too much.

On a lighter note.

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-serious-fat-content.png
amvj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 22:10   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
BEHOLD!!!!
What are your first impressions, people?
Beautiful! Looks a baby replica of BMW R18 .

However, a few surprises for me: (1) kerb weight 240+ kgs (2) GC of 135mm and (3) Wheel combos 19" F and 16" R.

Have to test ride to see how above things gel together in the busy streets or cruising on the highways.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 22:49   #267
BHPian

Saw some posts saying that it’s too heavy. Aren’t all cruisers heavy? Vulcan and Harley’s (more affordable ones like Iron 883) also weigh similar if not more. Cruisers carry the weight very low down so it might not feel as heavy as a top heavy 219 kgs ADV (yes you guessed it!).
Also 135 mm of ground clearance is another Cruiser trait! It should do better than the Vulcan for sure, on that regard.
That green paint work looks simply gorgeous! RE has another global smash hit with the Super Meteor.

Last edited by Waspune : 8th November 2022 at 23:13.
Waspune is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 23:06   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Saw some posts saying that it’s too heavy. Aren’t all cruisers heavy? Vulcan and Harley’s (more affordable ones like Iron 883) also weigh similar if not more. Cruisers carry the weight very low down so it might not feel as heavy as a top heavy 219 kgs ADV (yes you guessed it!).
Also 135 mm of ground clearance is another Cruiser trait! It should do better than the Vulcan, for sure on that regard.
That green paint work looks simply gorgeous! RE has another global smash hit with the Super Meteor.
+1.

Just to give some perspective, here are kerb weights, of a few heavyweights.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-bda741e55cff4ce1854e09b0b1623f5f.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-a4cf83ee7b104c54b3c9f7c35dc60a65.jpeg  

Old_Salt is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th November 2022, 23:59   #269
Senior - BHPian

Vulcan seems to be the most direct competition but Meteor is still a 15-16kg heavier and about the same weight as Yamaha Bolt R but Bolt is a 900cc machine. I think it is a tad heavier than it needs to be but definitely not a deal breaker considering weight has never been RE's forte.
At 241kg it is solid 40kg+ addition over Interceptor too. Surely a two-in-one aftermarket exhaust will save 10-12kg if not more. Wishing RE a good luck. The bike looks smashing. Very desirable.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2022, 00:20   #270
BHPian

Why is anyone surprised about the weight? It's very in line with how much cruisers weigh. Plenty of people bought and used Harleys extensively in Indian conditions, and this should fare better with superior heat management. It sure is impractical in Indian conditions, but that's true of most large capacity or imported motorcycles.

About the looks, what you can say, it's just beautiful. When I look at it I just want one irrespective of whether I'd ever go cruise on a highway or not. RE really have a hit on their hands here.
karanddd is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks