Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:06   #451
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I dont like how SM650 looks, i dont like the cruiser ergos, although i have not ridden SM650, just speaking from past experience with similar bike ergos.
That's what I said. The difference is in ergos but not the purpose. Take Vulcan 650 and Z650 for example. They are vastly different in purpose. The z650 is pretty good in city but not so good at very long distance touring unless you mod it a bit. The Vulcan is a nice cruiser package.

Quote:
IMO INT650 is not a highway tourer, its a retro street bike
I don't know how you define a retro street bike but in my opinion it's supposed to be a "jack of all trades" old school machine. The classic 350 does that very well. The int650 sucks at everything except looking good as a retro bike and a motor that can munch miles after miles with easy going torque wave sensation of cruising. The SM650 does this thing too.

Quote:
SM650 is again a "Cruiser" but again i bet that if you want to do seriously mile munching on the road then there are lots of other bikes available in market with better comfort.
Not my point. I am discussing only the RE catalogue. Otherwise i would 100% agree with this statement.

Quote:
Modifying INT650 for comfort and touring, its not going to be as comfy as a adv
That's true. But then i get crucified when i say the Int 650 is only a bike for gentlemen who want to go on Sunday rides at a pleasant pace and nothing more. At least the int650 has some identity. Gt650 is worse as a so called cafe 'racer'. Even with their race trim GTR 650 spec, they are unable to get within 3 seconds of a stock rc390 on India's tracks. A stock rc200 (previous gen) is faster than a stock gt650. Kinda shameful.

Quote:
D390 and D390 adv are also very different bikes, i also thought it was confusing but one ride on the adv and my opinion changed completely. Adv is very comfortable and very calm power delivery, the maniac nature of the D390 is completely missing.
And here is where I disagree with you again. The bs6 versions of both bikes are tame. I own a bs4 d390 and bs6 rc390 and the bs6 is extremely tame and linear in comparison. I had to put in a fuel map and pump up the richness to make it run as good as a bs4 engine. The top end is now more potent but the midrange is still not as good. But good for me, I get to keep the rc390 closer to the redline to extract more power. Practice for a future inline 4 upgrade. Anyway, having ridden the bs6 adv 390 and bs6 d390 as well, gotta say, i don't see the difference. And i still maintain that unless you want to go off-road or very broken roads, the d390 is a better tourer with minor mods and preload adjustment. I have toured on both. 600km per day rides. The d390 is just as comfortable on tarmac but way more agile and fun.
But then this is a personal opinion and i tend to lean towards sports-touring a lot more. I would rather be on my beloved rc390 no matter what the occasion.
The_Medic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 22:27   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
The interceptor is not so high quality and is a perfect street basher.
Then you and I greatly disagree on what street bashing is. Street bashing is the domain of d390s. Int650 is a classic British twin. It's a gentleman's chug along ride.

Quote:
I doubt if any bike is going to cannibalize sales of the 650 twins.
Agreed. And that's purely because the motor is pure gem. Now why would RE not design a proper bike around it is beyond me. The SM650 utilizes that engine very well but mostly for the international market. That stiff rear isn't gonna do anyone favours outside the smooth highways of Rajasthan.

Quote:
Customers are very particular about what they need and RE has played it very smart. Hope the niggles stay away!
Not really, no. This is the age of brand image and herd mentality. You play the narrative and direct the flow. For example, Hunter 350 is a shitty city bike. I have mentioned exactly why on the thread where it won teambhp bike of the year. You want a retro throwback city bike that looks cool, buy the Honda 350. You live far from big wings, buy the classic 350. Both have more character and purpose than the hunter (explained elaborately in that thread). But RE wanted to dip into the sub 2 lacs price point and created a Frankenstein. But they have a fantastic PR and publicity team and the hunter is selling well with the narrative of a very cheap RE (it's not) that does city rides very well (it doesn't).
Don't get me wrong. I don't hate RE (not for the last 2 years anyway). They nailed the 650cc engine and the j series engine. And the classic 350 overall is exactly what the description says. There is coherence in intent and action. RE has the potential to create supremely good products but always always falls short (except the new classic and now the sm650 coming close as per initial impressions,but only for the international market). And cover up their bad products with smokes and mirrors and (i can't state it enough) fantastic publicity.
The_Medic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 23:31   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

Attachment 2409435
The SM650 engine mount is totally different from the 650 twins. These 5 bolts are new for the parallel twin engine.
Those exposed wire ends without sleeves covering them are a concern in a 4L bike. Same was the case with twins.

Last edited by Ritz2010 : 23rd January 2023 at 23:33.
Ritz2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 09:53   #454
BHPian

Had a quick feel of the SM650 at the dealership last day and felt glad that the decision to pre-book wasn't a bad one. Even though the dealership is clueless on the delivery dates or test rides, the only thing that concerns me is manoeuvering through tough city traffic with those really forward set foot pegs.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2023 at 09:08. Reason: A word
Old 24th January 2023, 10:38   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
Those exposed wire ends without sleeves covering them are a concern in a 4L bike. Same was the case with twins.
Being an exhaust engineer working on cars, I can confirm that oxygen sensors always have this kind of ends. Even on every expensive cars that cost millions (not just on a 0.4 million motorcycle), so I am sure this is no cause for worry.
aravind.anand is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 12:25   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by febz View Post
Had a quick feel of the SM650 at the dealership last day and felt glad that the decision to pre-book wasn't a bad one. Even though the dealership is clueless on the delivery dates or test rides, the only thing that concerns me is manoeuvering through tough city traffic with those really forward set foot pegs.
Hopefully, the aftermarket will have solutions soon to bring footpegs right below the knee. I do not like forward-set footpegs myself. I once rode an Iron883 and swore never to sit in that uncomfortable umbrella-like position.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2023 at 09:09. Reason: Quoted post edited
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 22:57   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
The prebooking that I did at Ridemania is now showing up in the RE app. It shows the booking ID and model code. No information about the delivery date or anything else.
What is the booking date showing in RE app's track you order. I have made the prebooking on November 19th but my order confirmation date is showing as Jan 16th and estimated delivery by Feb 10th. Many people who made bookings on Jan 16th are offered delivery by end of Jan and I feel the pre booking was a joke.
Old 25th January 2023, 08:56   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the booking date showing in RE app's track you order. I have made the prebooking on November 19th but my order confirmation date is showing as Jan 16th and estimated delivery by Feb 10th. Many people who made bookings on Jan 16th are offered delivery by end of Jan and I feel the pre booking was a joke.
Shows 13th Jan for me with a delivery date of 23rd Jan.
Old 25th January 2023, 14:30   #459

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_20230120_180658.jpg

Had a chance for a quick look and feel of this beast. As an existing Meteor 350 rider, it really feels a proper upgrade. Spot on styling, a true blue cruiser stance. Loved how RE has put attention to detail at smaller places, the materiels feel premium and over all the bike really seem to be well put together.

Can't wait to test out the performance on open roads.
theroyalslady is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 06:55   #460
BHPian

Quote:
the only things that is concerning me is manoeuvering through tough city traffic with those really forward set foot pegs.
As we all know SM650 is a cruiser bike so any thoughts to use it as a regular city bike will be a terrible idea IMHO. If it's a occassional purpose which you may have mentioned then we can make up our mind and move on, or better plan the ride (if possible) in the non peak hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
Hopefully, the aftermarket will have solutions soon to bring footpegs right below the knee. I do not like forward-set footpegs myself. I once rode an Iron883 and swore never to sit in that uncomfortable umbrella-like position.
To each their own taste and you seem like a cruiser hater .

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroyalslady View Post
Can't wait to test out the performance on open roads.
Good luck and wish the ride won't surprise you especially with the low GC and hard rock rear suspension .
Old 26th January 2023, 07:42   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post

To each their own taste and you seem like a cruiser hater .
Haha en not a hater man. I like all bikes but that forward arms and feet really put my back at a very stressful position. I imagine either pulling the handlebars back or the footpegs will be the ideal compromise. I'd prefer pulling the footpegs back because I feel more in control of the bike in that position.
shabih is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 09:51   #462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManneAtWheelz View Post
As we all know SM650 is a cruiser bike so any thoughts to use it as a regular city bike will be a terrible idea IMHO. If it's a occassional purpose which you may have mentioned then we can make up our mind and move on, or better plan the ride (if possible) in the non peak hours.
Owning a cruiser doesn't mean that one should stay away from city traffic and no one with the right frame of mind would consider this as a commuter bike.Concerns are shared so that fellow BHPians could throw light on their experiences during TD.
Old 26th January 2023, 10:57   #463
BHPian

I think city usage boils down to two factors really, one being the commuting times and the other being the weight balance. I prefer leaving early so that I don't have to encounter traffic (I leave at around 7:45, for an 8:30 reporting time on the Ecity-Dairy Circle Route), and travel 10kms without a hassle. Of course, in heavy traffic heavy bikes aren't fun, but it could work for some people. I've seen people commuting on Harleys too. It honestly is very subjective and depends on how comfortable you get with riding that bike in particular over time.
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th January 2023, 12:14   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Owning a cruiser doesn't mean that one should stay away from city traffic and no one with the right frame of mind would consider this as a commuter bike.Concerns are shared so that fellow BHPians could throw light on their experiences during TD.
As I said already "each to their own taste" which means you no need to stay away if you prefer riding the bike within the city, just my two cents.
Old 27th January 2023, 09:43   #465
Senior - BHPian

Had a looksee at the SM650 yesterday. It was the green color interstellar variant which I am also interested in. First impression from both me and my wife was that the bike looks big. But when I sat on the saddle it doesnt look as big and intimidating. As mentioned by others, bike masks the weight brilliantly. For a lean guy like me (175cms, 70kg) I was able to maneuver the bike front and back easily (agree it was inside the showroom itself but it was a tight space), was able to lift off and put on the center stand with ease. Rider seat is comfortable while the pillion seat is ok for city rides. Felt the ergonomics were ok for me but will only get to know more on that after a test ride.

I didn't book it yet as I plan to do it from a different dealership plus the SA at this dealership was least interested to explain anything even though we were the only people there.
TorqueyTechie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks