Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2023, 08:47   #601
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushalswarup View Post

What will be interesting to see, is how the sales & demand will be if/when they release in India, the alloys for the 650 twins, along with the other updates that RE has announced for Europe. Once these come in to India, it’ll be purely the format/type of bike that’ll differentiate between the 650cc offerings for RE.

Interesting times ahead. Only hope RE keeps up the momentum by providing continuous supply of bikes without having ‘Mahindra’-level waiting times. Also hoping they go the right way in offering the complete host of accessories that would be available right at the time of purchase.
Though I'm absolutely thrilled with the bike and it is exactly what I was looking for, I don't think the sales figures will be super crazy. I would rather expect the upgraded Himalayan/Shotgun to get more traction in terms of sales due to the format being a better fit for Indian roads/riders. That said this is only my intuition and I don't have any data as such to back this up.
Old 28th February 2023, 15:13   #602
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM_Turbo View Post
Finally got a chance to test ride the beast at torqua motors nagarbhavi, Bangalore. My first impression was this is going to be my bike, its well built and with lots of power.

Currently I own a Thunderbird twinspark 2009 model which is maintained well and in great condition (still double minded whether to sell this or to keep it). Riding Super Meteor was a great experience with my better half, its super comfortable and maneuvering in the city traffic was easy for me as I have been used to cruiser style. Only thing was it took some time for me to get used to forward foot pegs and wide handle bar.

Overall I feel this is a good upgrade from Thunderbird twinspark, my intent of using this is only on highway rides.

I have booked celestial red on Jan 16 and tentative delivery date is June, not sure how the red colour looks but I also liked black green combination.
Wow we are in same boat - I own TBTS 2011 model. I'm yet to do TR. There is nothing with respect to engine as I've tested in Interceptor but bike looked huge compared to interceptor.

I'm medium built, around 70 kg but have apprehensions about moving the bike around when battery is dead or from parking.

The forward foot pegs we'll get used to like Bajaj cruiser. It's just matter of time.

I observed the engine casing protruding (thighs) - was it causing any discomfort during ride ?

Also any observation about wire end exposed and use of insulation tape. Below is link to my post in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5487323 (Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled)

Last edited by Ritz2010 : 28th February 2023 at 15:16.
Old 28th February 2023, 20:43   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritz2010 View Post
Wow we are in same boat - I own TBTS 2011 model. I'm yet to do TR. There is nothing with respect to engine as I've tested in Interceptor but bike looked huge compared to interceptor.

I'm medium built, around 70 kg but have apprehensions about moving the bike around when battery is dead or from parking.

The forward foot pegs we'll get used to like Bajaj cruiser. It's just matter of time.

I observed the engine casing protruding (thighs) - was it causing any discomfort during ride ?

Also any observation about wire end exposed and use of insulation tape. Below is link to my post in this thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5487323 (Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled)

I don’t think moving the bike around would be an issue as the weight is well masked, only problem would be to life the bike when it is completely fallen on ground(hope this mishap never happens)

I didn’t find any discomfort during the ride. May be I was focusing more towards enjoying the fun that 650 twins were producing by its power

I have booked celestial red, however little sceptical that it might look like avenger. Views might change after looking at it directly

I think exposed wires wouldn’t be an issue as these can be covered using a wonder tape, though these would have been addressed by ROYAL ENFILED for a flagship product
TM_Turbo is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 20:46   #604
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
when it is completely fallen on ground(hope this mishap never happens)
Two methods that work:

The third style which I personally prefer:
bblost is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 09:40   #605
BHPian

Quote:
I have booked celestial red, however little sceptical that it might look like avenger. Views might change after looking at it directly

I think exposed wires wouldn’t be an issue as these can be covered using a wonder tape, though these would have been addressed by ROYAL ENFILED for a flagship product
The one that I took a test ride on was the celestial red. I don't think that that confusion is possible. No offence meant to the Avenger but the size difference is significant as is the engine grunt. Also the tanks on the celestial variants though similar to avenger design are unique. If I wasn't smitten by the Interstellar grey I would have mostly gone with the celestial blue myself.

I also agree on the wire front.
Prayaglele is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 10:05   #606
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don’t think moving the bike around would be an issue as the weight is well masked, only problem would be to life the bike when it is completely fallen on ground(hope this mishap never happens)

I didn’t find any discomfort during the ride. May be I was focusing more towards enjoying the fun that 650 twins were producing by its power

As a former owner of Avenger 220 I can tell you very clearly that there is no similarity to the Super Meteor at all. Irrespective of thr colour it looks a completely different motorcycle.

I have the Celestial Blue booked during rider mania and I will be going ahead with the purchase as soon as RE decides it time to honour it's commitment of delivering the bike.

Rant:
I am a little frustrated now since folks who booked much later have started getting the bike and my bike has not been delivered till now. What was the point in trusting RE and booking in in Nov at Rider Mania if no priority was to be given to me.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:26   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Rant:
I am a little frustrated now since folks who booked much later have started getting the bike and my bike has not been delivered till now. What was the point in trusting RE and booking in in Nov at Rider Mania if no priority was to be given to me.
One consolation fact for you is that nobody got the delivery of the Celestial variant yet AFAIK . One possible reason may be the accessories availability.
manojas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 12:38   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manojas View Post
One consolation fact for you is that nobody got the delivery of the Celestial variant yet AFAIK . One possible reason may be the accessories availability.
People have posted reviews of Red Celestial Variant on youtube. Are they not purchased bikes. I believe they are owner reviews.

Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:38   #609
BHPian

Quote:
People have posted reviews of Red Celestial Variant on Youtube. Are they not purchased bikes. I believe they are owner reviews.
They may be media review bikes. One way to confirm is they will be of TN registration.
Old 1st March 2023, 13:54   #610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skviknaraj View Post
They may be media review bikes. One way to confirm is they will be of TN registration.
These are private vehicles as far as I can surmise. Plus the Red Celestial variant is already being delivered. Infact my dealer received a bunch of them. So it can't be shortage of accessories etc that is causing the delay.

Its very poor management on Royal Enfields part that they are not able to deliver even to the people who put their faith in them at Rider Mania.

My first promised date was 23rd Jan. Then it became 24th Feb, now they are saying April.

I will probably end up cancelling it since it was a heart based decision to buy it in the first place.

Don't mind my rant, but just wanted to highlight how companies screw things up.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:17   #611
BHPian

Quote:
These are private vehicles as far as I can surmise. Plus the Red Celestial variant is already being delivered. Infact my dealer received a bunch of them. So it can't be shortage of accessories etc that is causing the delay.
They are media ride vehicles as you can see they are TN-07 registered. (Second video you shared)

Not many Celestial variant have been delivered, those delivered are without the touring package. Here is one delivered in Mumbai. [https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...ibextid=qC1gEa

The Chennai brand store where I have booked doesn’t even have test rides so far and no clear indication from when. But they have started delivering only RM bookings.

Last edited by diwa : 1st March 2023 at 14:24.
diwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 15:10   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Wow nice speed breaker tests.

I'm sure Bengaluru's moon like craters and unscientific speed breakers will definitely bleed wallets through gentle and not so gentle scrape.

Already highest road tax. On top they ensure more service center visit with scrape here and scrape there.
Old 1st March 2023, 19:36   #613
BHPian

I took a test ride of the Interstellar (Green) variant today in Acclaim motors Yelahanka Bangalore. Overall came back with a highly positive impression. Here are some of the points I noticed. My current ride is HD Street Rod 750. So my experience is in comparison to my current ride

1. The wide seat felt as a hindrance while putting both legs down. Not a big issue, but I did notice this.
2. The suspension is good enough within the limitations of a Cruiser format. I feel this is the best a Cruiser can offer. If ride comfort is the primary objective, an ADV would be better than a cruiser
3. The gear shits are smooth. I used only the toe shifter out of habit and found its good enough.
4. Got adjusted to the legs forward posture in no time. I kind of liked it.
5. I didn't want to overspeed in a test ride, so tested for vibrations by going at higher speeds in lower gears (Something you have to wait until the running in period is over in your own bike). The vibrations are quite manageable.
6. The bike felt far more comfortable and easy at slow speeds (70-80). I am not saying higher speeds are not possible, but ride felt easy at lower speeds.
7. Slow speed stability is excellent. Tried to ride at <5kms with a pillion and felt its too easy. This is something very difficult in my current bike.
8. I am 5'7" and found its easier to manage this bike compared to my current ride. While riding the bike it felt much smaller than its actual size
9. I was using the front brake only to stop the bike in normal circumstances out of habit and it felt adequate. I was riding with a pillion and hence didn't want to stop hard.

Overall, I felt this bike is very easy to live with and use for city rides as well. Riding comfort seems to be the major objective of the designers.

Long story short, I booked one at the end of it, with a tentative delivery date by end of June.
manojas is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 22:49   #614
BHPian

I took a test ride of the Super Meteor today. I've been waiting for this bike for two years.The thing is, the Meteor is already such an awesome bike that it's hard to better it.

The Super Meteor looks good. Has the expensive Harley vibes. Is made with good quality material. Even the paint, a sore point on older Royal Enfields, is as good as Europen car's. Personally, I don't like any of the colour schemes except single tone black.The rest are too tacky

It's a heavy bike. Something that it doesn't let you forget when you're trying to manually move it. But it doesn't remind you of it on the move. It's not that difficult to turn.

The tank doesn't slope upwards and and give you that big bike feeling when you're sitting on it like the Meteor does. But it is wide, which feels good. The handlebars are a little too high compared to the seat. So I had some aches in my shoulders after riding it for a while.

The engine is differently tuned than the Interceptor. It's lazy at the low end but powerful at the top end. The higher weight reduces some of the performance but not by enough to be concerning. The vibrations are low enough to be premium but not high enough to feel like a cruiser. It loves to cruise at 80-90 but has enough grunt to take it to 120 easily without vibrating. The Meteor runs out of steam at 100.

The exhaust sounds smooth. Like a speed twin. It's not a thumper. I'd rather have it sound like a cruiser. The note improves at higher speeds though. In this regard the Intercepter sounds more like it means business.

The ride quality is not as stiff as it's made out to be in reviews. It'll take small potholes easily. It's only on the really broken roads that you'll feel that you should have gotten an adv.

The seat is comfy. Slightly more than than the Meteor. The pillion seat is too small but aides in making the bike look better.

The ground clearance is barely acceptable for Indian roads. Only the obscene speed breakers will be needed to take carefully.

Compared to the Meteor, you'll have to compromise on suspension comfort, exhaust thump, ground clearance, tank range, relative ease of pushing around and the beautiful red and white and gray colours on the Meteor.

What you'll gain is exclusivity, proper cruiser looks, better quality, higher top speed, better acceleration, more comfy seats, and one cylinder.

It's hard to fathom that after paying almost twice the price of a Meteor, you still have to contend with substantial disadvantages.

Overall, it's a good bike. But it doesn't tug my heartstrings the way the Meteor does.
evil_grin is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:23   #615

Quote:
Originally Posted by jishnu7 View Post
I've been following up with the company owned showroom in Kochi for quite some time now.
don't want to do that until experience the bike and get to know if it is right for me.
I was able to test drive at Kaizen motors, not far from the company showroom. I contacted them to confirm and visited them before closing time.
The funny thing is that their test ride path is just 200 meters, saying it is decided by the manager, we can't allow more than that.

I protested, saying how will I even reach a regular speed if it is only 50 meters to one turn, 100 meters to another and 50 meters return? After insisting that I'm interested in buying, but can't do unless I am able to ride a further distance, SA agreed a slightly further route.

Bike met my expectations and I booked it right away. I wanted Interstellar green with touring seat and visor. SA told me that changing the seat is not possible. He can't guarantee that it will be possible after purchase as well. So, I chose Celestial red.

I was told to wait 3 months. The booking appeared in the RE app the very next day, but the booking date and some other information were not mentioned there. Someone from RE called me asking me to install the app and check if the app is showing booking data, told him there is no status or tracking option available, he told me there should be a link to track the status - the app is still in beta stage, and they are working on fixes and asked me to WhatsApp a screenshot.
jishnu7 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks