Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 10:14   #406
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG86 View Post
RE has played it smartly here I'd say. From their configurator the touring seat cannot be added for the base versions. It seems it comes as a factory fitted exclusive to the top variant. I'm sure there will be aftermarket options but if you add up all the accessories to the base variant the difference is negligible about 15k which is covered by the dual paint scheme. I believe they should've atleast added those sump guards as a standard fitment for the top variant.
Although the configuration does not show the option to customize, the accessories are all available on their GMA page. It is highly unlikely that one could not fit original accessories to the lower variants after purchasing them. See this page https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/g...er-meteor-650/
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 11:56   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG86 View Post
RE has played it smartly here I'd say. From their configurator the touring seat cannot be added for the base versions. It seems it comes as a factory fitted exclusive to the top variant. I'm sure there will be aftermarket options but if you add up all the accessories to the base variant the difference is negligible about 15k which is covered by the dual paint scheme. I believe they should've atleast added those sump guards as a standard fitment for the top variant.
As per the information, the MIY is missing loads of components(touring seats,touring handle bars,led indicators,fog lamps, panniers etc) which will be updated soon. RE's strategy on accessories is never restrictive to a particular segment and sooner or later will be accessible to all. IMO,Even though the initial strategy is to push the grand tourer sales to the maximum, they cant ignore the reviews on the solo seats ride comfort or else the aftermarket shops will introduce them in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Although the configuration does not show the option to customize, the accessories are all available on their GMA page. It is highly unlikely that one could not fit original accessories to the lower variants after purchasing them. See this page https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/g...er-meteor-650/
Thank you. The page was inaccessible till yesterday. Was concerned mainly about the tourer seats and LED indicators.

Last edited by vb-saan : 18th January 2023 at 12:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another. Thank you!
febz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 12:43   #408
BHPian

Not much of a rider here. But if one is to pick up a bike for city use (Bangalore being the city of choice), would this cruiser make sense? or would it be smarter to go for a Himalayan with the more upright seating and softer suspension set up that could tackle the bad roads.

I have been contemplating getting a bike for use within the city. My ecosport drinks fuel like an elephant and being stuck in Bangalore traffic due to metro construction is adding to the want/ need for a bike.

Will be checking out the Super Meteror 650 at the Bellandur showroom over the weekend.
Old 18th January 2023, 12:54   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopGTkrish View Post
Not much of a rider here. But if one is to pick up a bike for city use (Bangalore being the city of choice), would this cruiser make sense?
IMHO for Bangalore city riding, your very best bet is the Honda CB300R. Compact, flickable, phenomenal handling, fantastic power to weight ratio, featherlight clutch and a wonderfully slick gearbox with well thought through ratios. Give it a test ride and see. Although reviewers say the Super Meteor masks it’s massive weight well, with its long, low and slack design, it won’t be the best choice for threading through our traffic, by any stretch of the imagination (and it isn’t intended to be either). The Himalayan is alright but never underestimate the value of a great clutch and gearbox for city riding in particular. And handling makes a world of a difference.

Last edited by RT13 : 18th January 2023 at 13:13.
RT13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 13:11   #410
th2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
IMHO for Bangalore city riding, your very best bet is the Honda CB300R.
As a CB300R rider in Bangalore, I can vouch for this. 🙂
Old 18th January 2023, 14:47   #411
BHPian

Booked Green colour today in Bangalore. As per showroom guy, they have no idea when will the delivery start. For me, I was informed that waiting is going to be about 3 months.
chaudharysaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 15:01   #412
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi, gotva call from Royal Enfield today. They had initially refused transfer of my interceptor booking to a supermeteor booking on the pretext that it was customized. They agreed to the transfer of booking, the local dealer agreed to do it. Have booked the Astral green. Surprised!!
rajeevsulu is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:23   #413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
Hi, gotva call from Royal Enfield today. They had initially refused transfer of my interceptor booking to a supermeteor booking on the pretext that it was customized. They agreed to the transfer of booking, the local dealer agreed to do it. Have booked the Astral green. Surprised!!
Congratulations rajeevsulu!
Are you planning on any accessories?
What is the estimated delivery date?

Usually for new product launches, RE introduces new riding gears as well. Nothing this time, at least not yet.
Gordon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:29   #414
Senior - BHPian

I was at nearby dealership on 16th for launch event and witnessed familiar enthusiasm. Bike was unveiled at hands of RE official and a known Pune biker.
After crowd had dispersed a bit, found some interesting bits.

Mounting of rear brake fluid reservoir is next to right exhaust pipe, it might need a protection in my opinion. This isn't covered in GMA, so most likely some third-party will offer it in few months.

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_20230116_rearbrake.jpeg

Beneath central stand, found these electronic parts. Cable sheathing is very well however entire position felt odd, more so for heatsink. I felt Super meteor has good real estate compared to Interceptor 650 to hide such things inside side panels.

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_20230116_underbelly_.jpg

Sharing review articles from foreign media.

UK:
MCN
Visordown

Video for same article from

USA:

Revzilla

I was expecting a video from Yammie Noob by now, however it's not published yet.
sukiwa is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:48   #415
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Congratulations rajeevsulu!
Are you planning on any accessories?
What is the estimated delivery date?)

The delivery date is May 23rd as of now.
I have opted for the usual mudguard, sumpguard, nothing else. The dealer told me I can get the accessories fixed at the dealer ship.

Usually for new product launches, RE introduces new riding gears as well. Nothing this time, at least not yet.
Yes, nothing this time. The dealer also has no clue. Another 2 weeks should throw more light

The delivery date is May 23rd as of now.
I have opted for the usual mudguard, sumpguard, nothing else. The dealer told me I can get the accessories fixed at the dealer ship.

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 18th January 2023 at 16:49.
Old 18th January 2023, 17:39   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Mounting of rear brake fluid reservoir is next to right exhaust pipe, it might need a protection in my opinion.
What about the heat? Does brake fluid performance change drastically with temperature? That's some plumbing from the front to the rear calipers!

In addition, did you notice the larger rear disc compared to the 16" rear wheel. Also with the straight exhausts, how difficult it is to remove the rear wheel? Big plus point is now with tubeless tyres, one should never have to remove the rear wheel to fix a puncture!

Quote:
Beneath central stand, found these electronic parts. Cable sheathing is very well however entire position felt odd, more so for heatsink.
That's the famous RR unit of the 650 platform! On the INT/GT650, the EVAP system is also located there. Not clear in the picture for the SM650.

Quote:
Sharing review articles from foreign media.
Thanks for sharing. Quoting myself again, "International media seemed to enjoy India more than the Super Meteor"

One more video from Australia,

I'm eagerly waiting for the RE DIY videos, they're doing a very good job with the DIY series. You get to see the air filter, battery etc.

Happy cruising,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 17:47   #417
BHPian

That looks like the RR unit which notoriously failed in INT/GT due to poor positioning. Hope this one gets enough ventilation to not heat up and fail.

Quote:

Beneath central stand, found these electronic parts. Cable sheathing is very well however entire position felt odd, more so for heatsink.
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 17:52   #418
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
What about the heat? Does brake fluid performance change drastically with temperature? That's some plumbing from the front to the rear calipers!
Not sure on this. Does rear brake get used more on cruisers compared to roadsters? I am hoping that Super meteor gets used by owners on highways more than city roads so that exhaust heat doesn't become an issue.

Quote:
In addition, did you notice the larger rear disc compared to the 16" rear wheel.
Frankly, didn't pay attention to rear discs. Position of drive chain is almost at similar level to Interceptor 650, wasn't expecting it on a cruiser with 135 mm ground clearance.

Quote:
Also with the straight exhausts, how difficult it is to remove the rear wheel?
That was first thing that I checked on both sides. It's going to be much easier compared to Interceptor to remove rear wheel.
Quote:
Big plus point is now with tubeless tyres, one should never have to remove the rear wheel to fix a puncture!
Yeah, tubeless tyres on alloys, something that is badly missed on 650 twins.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 19:42   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post

Disclaimer - i only ride solo and normally on any outstation work assignments which take me to national parks and coffee estates.

It is here I discovered the priority order for me in a cruiser -
Ground clearance
Foot steering the motorcycle
Ability to lift off the ground solo
A predictable handling and holding of line on ghat bends
Quality of engineering and parts
Service centre availability
Comfort to spine, back and bottom over long distance.
What you should be looking for is a road biased mid sized adv and not a cruiser. Interceptor is not a cruiser either, its a roadster styled retro motorcycle.
There would be obvious disappointment if the use case doesn't match the machine. I have ridden close to 20k kms on my Inty (from early batches), mostly on smooth highways and 600+ kms in a day multiple times, and I couldn't be happier.
What you need is a Honda Cb500X / Ktm Ad 390/ Upcoming Himalayan 450.
They tick all the boxes for your usage. But if you are still keen on cruisers for the looks, then you would always have to compromise one way or the other.

Cruisers are supposed to be ridden on smooth highways which RJ has to offer, that's where cruisers are at their best. So it is logical that it was launched in RJ. Just like the Hunter was launched in a city like Bangkok.

Last edited by ishan12 : 18th January 2023 at 19:48.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 22:34   #420
BHPian

I just stumbled upon this site - https://metronicsonline.com/super-me...e-accessories/ on Facebook and they claim that they sell genuine Royal Enfield accessories and I see the touring seat listed and available. Anyone have bought accessories from them?, are they genuine?.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks