Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2021, 16:44   #31
BHPian

re: Safe Two-wheeler for an elderly gentleman. EDIT: Shifted to a hatchback

Regarding scooters, I don't think it will make much difference in terms of safety, especially the way a mature gentleman would drive. Scooters with more electronic safety aids are usually of higher engine capacities and usually heavier too. I feel maneuverability, ride comfort etc. are going to be more important than performance in this scenario. Taking some test rides would help to decide which one is the most comfortable and easily maneuverable.

A quick Google search showed Yamaha Fascino as one of the viable candidates being one of the lightest scooters with a Disc Brake option and telescopic suspension. If speeds over 40 kmph is not a necessity, being a city runabout, Hero Electric Optima HX is also an option. It's quite light weight at 86 Kgs and would be frugal to run considering the fuel prices. But it depends on the average speeds necessary to keep up with the traffic of the town it is going to be used in.

I would suggest to test drive a Nano AMT too. It is one of the easiest cars to maneuver around cities. If one is familiar with a regular hatchback, maneuvering a Nano will feel effortless. Even though it hasn't fared well in safety tests, it is way safer than two wheelers, and offers weather protection too.
Old 1st November 2021, 18:43   #32
BHPian

Ideally I would suggest none. I lost my dad due to a scooter accident at the age of 73. He used a scooter for short commutes despite us asking him not to. He wanted to be independent and that was his social life. On that fateful day he had not taken the helmet for reasons only known to him.

Having said that if your dad like ICE and not EV, I would recommend the TVS XL100. Fuss free and frugal, I see it being used by many senior citizens around me and one person swears by it for its merits. He replaces his TVS moped every 5/6 years and buys the upgrade.
Old 1st November 2021, 19:10   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

My dad is also in his 70s. Early 70s to be precise. He wants to buy a two wheeler, probably some 100/125cc motorcycle so that he can ride to nearby work locations instead of driving his celerio.

He is also a very sharp individual, physically & mentally, without any illnesses or medications whatsoever.

But my decision was one big fat NO!

Anyone beyond 70 should be extra careful. A small impact can break bones and at that age, they don't recover without a surgery.

In your case, your dad has already met with 2 accidents. I wouldn't take the risk of buying him another two wheeler. Walking is a great option for short trips, a healthy one at that too.

He can always use an auto rickshaw if he's not into walking.
PrasannaDhana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2021, 22:27   #34
BHPian

How about an electric bicycle? For short trips to nearby shops/market, it is actually a good option. He can pedal it whenever he wants which translates into health benefits.
Old 2nd November 2021, 03:57   #35
BHPian

Since he is unwilling to shift towards cars, I would recommend you and dad to go for a test ride of the XL100, which is the 4 stroke version of the undisputed moped leader TVS XL super. Or else, you could try Scooty zest, which does have the same 110cc engine as Jupiter and is light weight.
Old 2nd November 2021, 16:06   #36
AZT
BHPian

I agree with Prasanna above, at this age broken bones dont heal and any accident may as well leave you with a walking stick.

I know how stubborn parents can be sometimes so if you cant convince him for a used nano or something, maybe try and get him to put those additional training wheels I've seen some people put on their scooters. It's great reading you also keep visiting him as often as you can
Old 3rd November 2021, 07:42   #37
BHPian

Two wheelers and elders have a reminiscent memory for me, it was one of them days I was posted near Kalyayna lake- Jodhpur area. Being a maroon beret I was over the moon with the maroon colour and had purchases a Bajaj Chetak which then came in electric maroon.
Coming to the elderly gentleman part, Gen VK Singh was to visit our base and my job was to show him around, (now for anyone who has seen VK Singh from closure he is a cut out army guy from every inch and an intrusive one of them all). So the general comes, his eyes catch the maroon scooter and he demands audience with its owner. I accompanying him stand affront and much to my amusement he asks "Chaalo scooter pe chalte hain", this puts me, my boss and his boss in quandary as my chetak was no Rana Pratap's Chetak in any and every sense. However who says no to "the Man", General tilts and kicks it to life and next 20 mins as we move around the campus me pillion, my only prayers to almighty were the scooter should not stall or else it were my last day in uniform, lo and behold it went fine, general left in the evening with no further fan fare. In hurry burry of uniform life this incident gets buried in memory and life moves on.
Years later I am at the lounge of Helsinki airport and lo and behold I see Gen Singh (Now a cabinet rank minister) seated some distance apart still with the posture of person from uniform. I walk up to him, salute and disclose my rank and file...the general sits back frowns and says "Scooter guy from Jodhpur right"
tatafanatic is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th November 2021, 08:21   #38
BHPian

Thank you everyone for the fruitful discussion and the valuable suggestions.
What I can make out from the above discussion is:-

Its never easy to dissuade an elderly gentleman to use a two-wheeler
What ever be the two-wheeler it will never be safe.
Has a discussion with my father again, he seems reluctant to use a car in place of two-wheeler. His argument is Vegetable shop is 700 m away, milk shop is 1km away, grocery shop is 1.5 km away. I was unable to justify using a car for such short distances. Though he seems interested in an electric vehicle (scooter or bike)

Lets talk of the options available to me

1. ICE engine scooter: As suggested TVS and Yamaha Scooters with low CG are more balanced and relatively safer. I somehow feel its will not make much of a difference. Also it won't be easy for me to convince him to shift to another ICE scooter.

2. Electric two-wheeler: : This is something he is interested in, and can be persuaded to shift over too. How ever stability due to small size wheels of scooter, will not make much of a difference. Electric bike certainly will be a better choice. The only reliable option I could find is Revolt RV300/RV 400. Others being Okinawa bike, hero bike.

3. ICE engine Car A compact car like S-presso AMT or Nano AMT might serve the purpose. I some how feel, he won't be using it for such short commutes.

4. Electric Car I just wished there was a reliable 2 seater electric car in India. Just hope Microlino, Renault Twizy, Toyota C+ Pod make it to India soon. Strom R3 is due for launch but unlikely to be a success.

5. The best option in my opinion is to find a domestic help who can drive as well. He can ferry my father around, and will save him from the trouble of finding a parking in crowded markets. We, in fact have a family staying next to us, where the wife does our house hold chores, and the husband knew some driving. However on day one itself while reversing the husband broke the ORVM, and dad never let him touch the car again.

Just a couple of questions :-
a. Are the newly launched electric scooter bug free? I generally avoid first generation vehicle, thanks to bad experience with Tata. Does this apply to electric bikes/ cars as well
b. Any electric bike due for launch in near future?
c. Any compact electric car due for launch?
d. Is Strom R3 worth putting my money in?

Regards
Old 6th November 2021, 08:33   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
d. Is Strom R3 worth putting my money in?
Rather than the Strom R3, it may be far better to get a Mahindra E2O, even if used. There are no other small EBV's out there in the pipeline, though its a segment that can be capitalized by the OEM's.

About electric scooters and bugs - no idea, though Ather and Chetak are the ones you could check. I wont be looking at the Ola at this time.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 08:22   #40
BHPian

I completely agree with the assessment of many that a two wheeler is inherently dangerous at that age. We must dissuade the elderly from adopting such a risky mode of transport. Having said that, it is critical that they come to that decision by themselves, with gentle persuasion and highlighting of all the risks and consequences, and not be forced. In their twilight years, the quality of life is as much a critical factor as is the longevity. Of course it is a valid argument that a broken hip and its unfortunate consequences is more detrimental to the quality of life as is a lifestyle not lived per their wishes. But that is the conundrum isn't it? For someone used to taking decisions with their own assessments of right and wrong and actions and consequences, to be forced to live with another's decision can be traumatic.

This is one of the surprisingly difficult topics. A topic that, well, topically seems a no brainer but has layers of complexity and sensitivity associated with it.

I wish you luck in convincing your father. I hope you both come to a mutually beneficial agreement. Good luck and god bless.
Arun Varma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 09:45   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Sorry, but I don't agree with your post. Activas and the like with ancient linked suspension setup are inherently dangerous in my opinion. They have very little suspension travel and coupled with the tiny wheels transfers all the shock from hitting a pothole or speed bump directly to the rider's wrists which causes the rider to lose control. Motorcycles have longer suspension travel and can absorb shocks better , even scooters with telescopic suspension are slightly better than activas at absorbing shocks. Cars are obviously safer but the trade off is time taken while stuck in traffic and finding parking spaces in conjested markets and busy streets.
I could not agree more with this ! Activa and dios with their decade old linked suspension setup are worst when it comes to handling. I feel every little pothole, undulations on road and surface of road. I've to be utmost careful when riding my old dio, not so much when riding friends bikes. As for OP, please hire a chauffer for your dad, peace of mind for you and dad too !
Akshay6988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:32   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo82in View Post
What ever be the two-wheeler it will never be safe.

Lets talk of the options available to me

3. ICE engine Car A compact car like S-presso AMT or Nano AMT might serve the purpose. I some how feel, he won't be using it for such short commutes.

4. Electric Car I just wished there was a reliable 2 seater electric car in India. Just hope Microlino, Renault Twizy, Toyota C+ Pod make it to India soon. Strom R3 is due for launch but unlikely to be a success.

5. The best option in my opinion is to find a domestic help who can drive as well. He can ferry my father around, and will save him from the trouble of finding a parking in crowded markets. We, in fact have a family staying next to us, where the wife does our house hold chores, and the husband knew some driving. However on day one itself while reversing the husband broke the ORVM, and dad never let him touch the car again.

Regards
Have you considered the Bajaj Qute? As small as an auto, and safer than any 2 or 3 wheeler.

However there are some doubts around its legal classification, so you might have to look into ways around that. But no doubt it's safer than even the most sophisticated 2 wheeler.

https://www.bajajauto.com/bajajqute
Sudarshan42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 14:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

When I read the title of the thread and the requirements in the first post, the TVS XL100 was the first option that came to mind. (I see a few members, including two very knowledgeable members (hemanth and ashwin), have already suggested that!)

I agree that it's hard to reconcile a parent putting themselves at risk in their senior years and 2-wheelers are unsafe when compared to cars, no doubt, but look at it this way- amazing that he's in great health and able and willing to ride a bike! I can totally imagine being in my 70s and wanting to be totally independent (hopefully healthy enough to do so!) and not wanting the hassle of a car or driver for such short distances. Hope there will be an EV equivalent of the good old TVS XL by the time I get there!

Happy riding and several more healthy years to your dad!

Last edited by am1m : 9th December 2021 at 14:48.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2021, 15:16   #44
BHPian

I will agree that no scooter is safe (in two wheel mode). My father is about 75 and he has also been supremely reluctant to take the car. He now has got impacted twice due to this. Around 3 years ago, a car merged from the service lane hitting him from the side and he ended up with broken ribs. And recently he just lost balance when stationary and fell. This resulted in ligament rupture in his shoulder. We have got rid of the scooter now that he does not have an option to pick one and go. At their age a small fall can lead to long term issues and it is absolutely better they get into a safer small 4 wheeler.
Old 9th December 2021, 21:23   #45
BHPian

As others have said driving 2 wheeler at that age is not recommended at all. I think public transport would be a convinet solution to this problem. Auto rickshaw are easily available for short distance and if he can walk then nothing like it. Bus/Ubee/Ola for longer distance.

This way you also avoid any maintenance cost associated with a vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks