Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2021, 17:12   #196
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
Got a call explaining the home charger installation process before the scooter delivery. Looks like the first lot of delivery is on schedule this time.

Video link sent along with the email that read :
Your Ola scooter will be dispatched soon : https://s3-ap-southeast-1.amazonaws....vent-Video.mp4
I am a little annoyed that they are not providing the charger mount by default. Only way to get it is via the home installation. Does ola expect people to just leave their chargers on the floor? I did not need the installation but would have liked to have the wall mount.
Old 13th December 2021, 17:58   #197
Senior - BHPian

Bhavish Aggarwal shared a glimpse of the production and assembly line of the electric scooters at its Futurefactory in Tamil Nadu ahead of delivery deadline of 15th December.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-20211213_175444.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-smartselect_20211213175832_twitter.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 13th December 2021 at 18:02.
Venkatesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 18:40   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
I am a little annoyed that they are not providing the charger mount by default. Only way to get it is via the home installation. Does ola expect people to just leave their chargers on the floor? I did not need the installation but would have liked to have the wall mount.
You can always make one once u have the exact dimensions, but yes home installation will turn out to be neater if not cheaper.

Just got to know that my bike has left futurefactory: Cheering:

Also the app shows the update: details for registration
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-eec2ff8bac8742a9a156e3070a0578b3.jpeg  

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-109e59c7f2b243a1888704c7a2888057.png  

Last edited by Blackbolt : 13th December 2021 at 18:45.
Blackbolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 20:35   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
https://Youtu.be/jn8ZtzliaOY
Saw the above video in one of my whatsapp groups. I just can't imagine the nuisance and noise this will cause on our contry's roads which has amazingly responsible drivers/riders
It is going to be quite a nuisance. I am imagining car like future modifications by few enthusiasts to the sound system. Is there any law that prohibhits music system on two wheelers?

Further it is less about the owners and more about the manufacturer's brain cells. People flout norms all over the world, we are overly critical of ourselves and we have huge population so we see more of such activities. Imagine sitting in a meeting and someone advises the CEO about putting a speaker so that owners can play music and make telephone calls from the scooty speakers and he/she agrees. If the CEO wanted he could have easily limited the speaker to only the exhaust sound. I won't be surprised if they put games or videos to watch during red light or parking.
Old 13th December 2021, 20:55   #200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbolt View Post
You can always make one once u have the exact dimensions, but yes home installation will turn out to be neater if not cheaper.

Just got to know that my bike has left futurefactory: Cheering:

Also the app shows the update: details for registration

Thats the plan. Going to make one for my self. Also looks like I had the same mail sitting in my inbox. We are going have a couple of unboxings on TBHP!
Old 14th December 2021, 09:38   #201
Senior - BHPian

Ola Electric Scooters shipped from the factory, enroute to customers for delivery.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20211214093517_youtube.jpg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20211214093530_youtube.jpg

Name:  SmartSelect_20211214094217_Twitter.gif
Views: 1237
Size:  5.28 MB

Name:  SmartSelect_20211214094313_Twitter.gif
Views: 1199
Size:  5.84 MB

Name:  SmartSelect_20211214095241_Twitter.gif
Views: 1131
Size:  5.82 MB

Last edited by Venkatesh : 14th December 2021 at 09:54.
Venkatesh is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 09:50   #202
BHPian

The video showed them placing 2 helmets in the scooter. Wonder if any state has 2 helmet requirement which they are meeting by providing the 2 helmets. I know Kerala needs one helmet provided at time of delivery.
Old 14th December 2021, 12:00   #203
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzydealhunter View Post
The video showed them placing 2 helmets in the scooter. Wonder if any state has 2 helmet requirement which they are meeting by providing the 2 helmets. I know Kerala needs one helmet provided at time of delivery.
I remember in 2019 when Ather had launched in Chennai, they had mentioned that as per the ruling Chennai owners will get 2 helmets with the vehicle and hence the pricing was a little higher than in Bengaluru. After sometime they clarified that only one helmet is mandatory as per the state regulations. So they gave two helmets for the first couple of batches of bookings. Last year Maharashtra also announced that manufacturers will have to give 2 helmets with a new vehicle. I do not know if it was actually implemented on ground.

As far as Ola is concerned, even in Karnataka where there was no State Government rule mandating 2 helmets during a two-wheeler sale, they had given an option of buying helmets (pack of 2) for an additional ₹1,299. Initially there was no option to remove this but later by the time the full payment window opened, we could remove it. See the below screenshot for the pricing of Ola S1 On road Bengaluru when I was about to make the full payment.
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20211113073908_ola.jpg

So people who would've opted for the helmet option would get those two helmets and that's what they would be putting in the boot I guess.
hemanth.anand is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 13:38   #204
BHPian

By the law both Rider and pillion need to wear helmet while vehicle is in motion, so they need storage space for two helmets when not in motion. What is surprising in it? Also it is a way of showing the generous storage space that they have under the seat. Visual medium is easier to understand than merely stating it has 30 litre of space. Whether it will have space for even one full face helmet is doubtable as told by many who have tested the vehicle.
Old 14th December 2021, 15:40   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sran View Post
By the law both Rider and pillion need to wear helmet while vehicle is in motion, so they need storage space for two helmets when not in motion. What is surprising in it? Also it is a way of showing the generous storage space that they have under the seat. Visual medium is easier to understand than merely stating it has 30 litre of space. Whether it will have space for even one full face helmet is doubtable as told by many who have tested the vehicle.
Nothing surprising in it. This video was released to show finished products shipping out and I noticed that they were placing 2 helmets in the boot space along with the chargers. Never said I was surprised. I was just curious if there were any states with 2 helmet requirement at delivery like Kerala has the one helmet requirement.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:33   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-img20211214wa004601.jpeg
Got this in one of the whatsapp groups. So the first deliveries are finally happening tomorrow which is nice to see.
hemanth.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 12:15   #207
BANNED

I have this voice in my head whispering "RIP Honda! RIP Honda! RIP Honda!", and the whisper is getting stronger everyday. Soon it might rise to a crescendo. What do I do? What the hell is wrong with me?
Electromotive is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 12:38   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
I have this voice in my head whispering "RIP Honda! RIP Honda! RIP Honda!", and the whisper is getting stronger everyday. Soon it might rise to a crescendo. What do I do? What the hell is wrong with me?
It will actually be "RIP Honda! RIP Hero! RIP Bajaj!". They are grossly underestimating the impact this will have on their sales in the next few years. If they are still assuming that EVs will take a long time to catch up and they will quickly be able to launch and compete with their own models as and when it happens, they are fooling themselves. They were never needed to worry about a niche, expensive product like 450X with limited availability and low range. Ola is going for volumes from day 1 and a million preorders for a new company's first product shows the appetite for EVs among consumers.
sri_tesla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 13:04   #209
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
It will actually be "RIP Honda! RIP Hero! RIP Bajaj!". They are grossly underestimating the impact this will have on their sales in the next few years.
Munjal family and Hero Motorcorp is well placed to transition to EV. Worst case scenario they give Ather a booster shot, absorb the entire company and ramp up volume. Hero also have their own EV scooter in pre launch phase so that's happening by Feb/March 2022. I see Hero and OLA cornering the EV 2 wheeler market in the next 3 years.

Bajaj doesn't sell any scooters so they don't have market share to lose and they have KTM to engineer them an EV 2 wheeler they can sell in the premium segment.

Scooters are Honda 2 wheeler's bread and butter and if they don't launch an EV within the next 6 months they will end up losing the Indian market. Once all the teenagers start pulling stunts on OLAs, thanks to the powerful drivetrain, the sales are only going to increase. Honda has everything to lose by not getting an EV to market.

Last edited by Electromotive : 15th December 2021 at 13:06.
Electromotive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 13:34   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromotive View Post
Munjal family and Hero Motorcorp is well placed to transition to EV. Worst case scenario they give Ather a booster shot, absorb the entire company and ramp up volume. Hero also have their own EV scooter in pre launch phase so that's happening by Feb/March 2022. I see Hero and OLA cornering the EV 2 wheeler market in the next 3 years.
The problem with any legacy automobile company is the lack of ambition and proactiveness. Hero is better placed with owning almost 40% of Ather but they should have already bought it fully already and started the expansion early last year when Ather was struggling with low sales and huge losses. They also have no clear direction and throw things at the wall and see what sticks. They invested in Ather, developing their own EV, partnering with Gogoro for another EV with the battery-swapping network. There is no plan for volume production of their own EV or EV with the Gogoro partnership.

Quote:
Bajaj doesn't sell any scooters so they don't have market share to lose and they have KTM to engineer them an EV 2 wheeler they can sell in the premium segment.
Ola is already working on an EV bike which they will be releasing in the next 1-2 years. KTM-Husqvarna will be using the Chetak platform for scooters. They are developing a high-end model for bikes but it will be a niche unless priced aggressively. Also, it's rumored to have a peak power of just 10KW which is not much higher than 8.5KW on Ola S1 Pro.

Honda, TVS, and Suzuki obviously will have the biggest impact as scooter sales make up a majority or a substantial portion of their overall sales.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks