Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2021, 23:32   #256
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
My calculations atleast to the number of cells in series in ather is irrefutable. Depending on the battery cell capacity the number of cells in parallel can be different. There are only so many INR type cells out there of 21700 ranging from 3000mah to 4000mah. They cannot use high capacity ICR cells like those over 5000mah, since to match a single INR type cell for continuous high amp discharge they would need 4 to 5 cells minimum in parallel that would increase the cost because it will raise the kwh of the battery pack, you don't want to be doing that.
What are you trying to prove here? and what is your point? Ather openly disclosed they are using 2170 and 14S in series in many of their events, then why are you bringing all this 12S calculation in this OLA scooter thread?

Lets stick to the point related to this thread. To my understanding your point is OLA is using 120V system and i've put my theory that it is less than 60V. I do not like to talk about anything without proof and anything that I do not know. I'm saying it is less than 60V based on the picture. Post link here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5217995 (Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review)

If you feel my observation is wrong just highlight it with actual data, in this case there is only two reliable pictures, and I would prefer reliable data than inconclusive assumptions.
efuture is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 23:44   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuture View Post
What are you trying to prove here? and what is your point? Ather openly disclosed they are using 2170 and 14S in series in many of their events, then why are you bringing all this 12S calculation in this OLA scooter thread?

Lets stick to the point related to this thread. To my understanding your point is OLA is using 120V system and i've put my theory that it is less than 60V. I do not like to talk about anything without proof and anything that I do not know. I'm saying it is less than 60V based on the picture. Post link here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post5217995 (Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review)

If you feel my observation is wrong just highlight it with actual data, in this case there is only two reliable pictures, and I would prefer reliable data than inconclusive assumptions.
My bad ather charger is 60v so yes that makes 14s.

But no where did I say the ola battery pack is 120v. I said they could use a higher voltage pack because they use a NCA chemistry and I gave the reasons for that.

Last edited by DIY410 : 19th December 2021 at 23:47.
Old 20th December 2021, 00:04   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIY410 View Post
My bad ather charger is 60v so yes that makes 14s.

But no where did I say the ola battery pack is 120v. I said they could use a higher voltage pack because they use a NCA chemistry and I gave the reasons for that.
Just because they use NCA it doesn't mean it should be high voltage. And what is the value? Is it 48/51V 60V 72V 96V 120V or any other number? Based on the available data, what is your conclusion? It's been a wonderful discussion and I would like to end it with a conclusion. Please don't keep it open.
Old 20th December 2021, 00:12   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by efuture View Post
Just because they use NCA it doesn't mean it should be high voltage. And what is the value? Is it 48/51V 60V 72V 96V 120V or any other number? Based on the available data, what is your conclusion? It's been a wonderful discussion and I would like to end it with a conclusion. Please don't keep it open.
Since we do not know if ola says its a 3.92 is the usable or max capacity its hard to say. We also do not know if its a 18650 or 20700(likely) or a 21700(unlikely).
But all one needs is the picture of the charger specs to know the exact battery voltage.
Until then my educated guess is that because it uses a NCA chemistry and a 8.5kw motor, its battery pack will have to be higher voltage then say ather 450x .

Last edited by DIY410 : 20th December 2021 at 00:16.
Old 20th December 2021, 12:11   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Good to see vehicles being delivered to the customers.

But I don't like this new trend that's started...delivering incomplete vehicles. Ather started it with their 450x which was delivered to the first customers without Bluetooth enabled. Ola now has delivered their S1 without Bluetooth, cruisecontrol, Hill hold, Mobile app, Geofencing, Voice assist and many more.

This is opposite to what we are used to see during shopping. Everywhere it is Buy now, pay later; here it is Pay now and get later!!

I know development cycles are short these days and companies want to be quick to the market, but delivering incomplete products is not the right direction
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 12:23   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
But I don't like this new trend that's started...delivering incomplete vehicles.
This is standard these days, sell on hype and cover the actual ground in the next few iterations. The initial lot of customers are happy beta testers, paying the company for that privilege! To be fair, it's not just Ola or Ather, a lot of ICE manufacturers also do that. Royal Enfield has been using customers as guinea pigs for generations!

When the number of bookings without even the test ride vehicles arriving is in the tens of thousands, why will any manufacturer not take advantage of the situation?
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 18:06   #262
BHPian

There is constant ping pong which is happening with Ola support since Dec 18th. These guys are sticking to their general open ended statements. It’s frustrating when the organisation has no clue on the schedule for the next few days. I mean where is the freaking plan!
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-30ee80e34d8747ebb3aeef21e2f2069c.jpeg  

Blackbolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 22:09   #263
BHPian

Ola in reply to a user's query has confirmed that the true range of Ola S1 Pro is 135kms in a single charge which is about 25% less than the claimed ARAI figure of 181kms. What is the point of ARAI range is something I never understand, its like a bogus agency making free money since all the FE/Range figures they provide are worthless to the end users.

The 135km range is also restricted to these conditions:
* Single Rider weighing about 70kgs
* No additional load on vehicle
* City riding condition with 3-5% of max incline
* Riding mode should be Normal and riding style should be moderate
* Weather should be moderate (24-35deg C)

If any of these parameters vary then the range will be affected so a REAL world range with varying parameters should be 100kms or less on a single charge which is still okay but this should be the figure that the end user should know and not the 181kms ARAI non-sense.

More details at Source: Rushlane

Last edited by Funny : 20th December 2021 at 22:10.
Funny is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 10:51   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Ola in reply to a user's query has confirmed that the true range of Ola S1 Pro is 135kms in a single charge which is about 25% less than the claimed ARAI figure of 181kms. What is the point of ARAI range is something I never understand, its like a bogus agency making free money since all the FE/Range figures they provide are worthless to the end users.

If any of these parameters vary then the range will be affected so a REAL world range with varying parameters should be 100kms or less on a single charge which is still okay but this should be the figure that the end user should know and not the 181kms ARAI non-sense.

More details at Source: Rushlane
ARAI figures are like ideal test conditions which is difficult to mimic in city unless one drives on a highway with big empty stretches and less of enthusiastic throttle inputs.

If Ola is able to deliver anything around 110 to 120Kms in the city like how a regular scooter is used with mixed usage of load, distance and traffic conditions, that's pretty good. What would be a bigger question is how much does the electric scooter competitor do in similar conditions. If Ola has 40 to 50% better range, they have done their job pretty well. The Ola scooter may give less range if run in hyper mode and its important to have the parameters set to Normal and also they could have given a new riding setting as Eco where acceleration and speeds would have been set to lesser levels such that the range would increase by another 15 to 20%. This am sure is possible with software updates.
Old 22nd December 2021, 07:17   #265
BHPian

Kitna deta hai?
Cars- 6 to 8 km per kwhr
Bikes -25 to 30km per kwhr

My Activa 30kmpl.

Above is the realistic mileage no matter what manufacturer claims.

Bounce has been honest on this. Bounce CEO claimed 55 kms on one charge of his battery which is around 2kwhr.

If you get little more, you are lucky. Ather is giving 70 kms per charge.

Ola with 4kwhr, 120 plus kms is a good bargain.

130 kms and 10x4 = 40 Rs means 30 to 40 paise per km. A very good price I would say!
pogo0120 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 15:12   #266
BHPian

30 kmpl looks too low for Activa. Is that 125 CC?
110 CC gives close to 40 kmpl for me for a steady 10 km drive everyday. If driven for longer distances, I observed that it goes till 43-44 kmpl(tank method)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
Kitna deta hai?
Cars- 6 to 8 km per kwhr
Bikes -25 to 30km per kwhr

My Activa 30kmpl.

Above is the realistic mileage no matter what manufacturer claims.
Old 22nd December 2021, 16:21   #267
BHPian

Found this on https://fame2.heavyindustries.gov.in...UnderFame.aspx

Search Ola and select model.

https://fame2.heavyindustries.gov.in...ls.aspx?id=264
https://fame2.heavyindustries.gov.in...ls.aspx?id=263

Not sure, any one has seen this. Information is little different that what I heard about Ola S1 and S1 pro.
How much can you believe on these numbers!
Also take a look at Ather.

By the way, my Activa is old, changed plug, filter, belt, ignition coil etc. Still 30 or 32Kmpl, Bangalore city driving. I know the petrol bunk guy eats or cheats around 4s per litre, but he is honest not to cheat more than that.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-111.jpg  

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-113.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2021, 20:58   #268
Senior - BHPian

YouTuber's Ola runs out of charge. He is seen pushing the vehicle (Range dropped from 5 to zero in a second). Indians are ready for EV Tech, but India is not
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 22:10   #269
BHPian

Got a message from Ola that someone will be in touch shortly to work on the registration of the scooter on Vahan. Looks like they are working towards meeting the 30 Dec deadline.
fuzzydealhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2021, 22:11   #270
BHPian

I don't buy above. No one will ride with 5kms left. This video could be an intentional video to degrade or damage ola.

I used to work on lithium ion, Nickle cadmium and NiMH batteries.

State of charge, Soc, remaining capacity, or any parameters of battery are always off by some percent. Even error rate is off. Only way to increase accuracy of these reading is by a process called Relearn.

In this process a battery is charged to 100 capacity and is discharged over load or resister at a fixed discharge current rate , all the way to 5 percent or 10 percent based on chemistry and gas gauge settings. There is a coulomb counter which tells how much current over time was discharged.

Real capacity of battery is not how much you pump into battery, rather how much a fully charged battery can pump OUT.

We used to do temperature cut of to complete charging process.

Even today, there is no perfect way to find out if the battery got fully charged. What we do is, when the battery is almost at the top off level, the raise in temperature, Delta t shoots up indicating that the battery cannot take any more. That is how we cut off charge. Then trickle charging is done which like 10 ma or based on battery cacpcity.

If you see display showing 5kms, it may be 1 km or may be 7 kms. Never trust that.

That is why I like ola which is offering 120+ kms range and people can really think of looking for charging when odo says 20 kms or so.
pogo0120 is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks