Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2022, 15:06   #556
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

The purchase window was to be only available on the 18th. With early access to earlier booked ones on the 17th.

Now it's 20th and the purchase window is still open and I'm getting spammed with messages. It looks like their target has not been met and people are backing out.
Bluengel180 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 20:26   #557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra__foxtrot View Post
Coming to the after sales, last week I had an incident with the bike wherein I had engaged the side stand and went to open my house gate. After 2 - 3 seconds, I turn back to a thud sound and to my horror the bike is on the ground.
The culprit here is the poorly engineered side stand.
He assured me he will try his level best to get these repaired at Ola's expense and he did mention that this issue is becoming common and that at least here in Chennai they have 4 to 5 bikes with the same issue, that the brake handles have been broken and that they have run out of stock for the handles. This conversation took place 2 days back and there is still no light at the end of the tunnel
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220313-3.46.45-pm-1.jpeg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220313-3.46.45-pm-2.jpeg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-whatsapp-image-20220313-3.46.45-pm.jpeg

Hey guys,

An update on the previous ownership saga, so Ola had arranged a RSA two days after my previous post and they were quite proactive in noting down my problems and assured me all the issues will be rectified and I will be given my scooter back the next day and I was totally fine with that.

I was expecting a call from ola the next day regarding my scooter but I never got one and I decided to cut some slack since its a new company and after 3 days I lost my patience and decided to call the service person at ola who told me that while stripping the scooter apart they had broken a clip and since they had to replace it as well they are awaiting a OK GO AHEAD from ola and once they get it they will start the process and asked me another day for getting my scooter back.

After 2 days still no sign of the scooter I called the guy again and a different person picked up and told me "my bike is still untouched and they will start the repair job only today ", mind you this is the 5th day since they took my scooter from me and for 5 days it was lying idle at the workshop.

The next day, a Saturday I got a call saying the repairs will be finished today but since RSA does not work after 6 pm and the next day being Sunday I will be getting my scooter only on Monday (a working day ). I was absolutely furious and unleashed my week long anger at ola in that single phone call and after pulling a few strings they agreed they will send my bike on Sunday the next day.

Sunday morning get a call from RSA and the bike is delivered but since they had to remove the panels completely and replace it, they did a shoddy work replacing it.

Once I got the scooter delivered I went around the scooter and found Huge panels gaps all around the replaced panels (attaching the pics below) and a perfectly silent and good motor came back to me with some weird noise when driven and I don't want to send my scooter again and wait for 1 whole week again.

I had called the service person but the call was never picked and I sent him the pictures of the panel gaps and still I have not got a reply from him.

An even shadier part from ola is there is absolutely no proof of replacement of parts in a form of invoice from them (NO INVOICE ), when asked they were brushing it off aside and telling me sir no need invoice we have replaced the panels can't you see? I WAS LEFT SPEECHLESS.

I think I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Last edited by Axe77 : 21st March 2022 at 05:12. Reason: Trimming quoted text.; minor spacing clean-up
Sierra__foxtrot is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 20th March 2022, 21:52   #558
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
The purchase window was to be only available on the 18th. With early access to earlier booked ones on the 17th.

Now it's 20th and the purchase window is still open and I'm getting spammed with messages. It looks like their target has not been met and people are backing out.
Yes it seems so. I am getting bombarded with spam messages even though I cancelled my booking due to lack of transparency and the multiple issues faced by 1st lot buyers. I also messaged ola electric on facebook regarding the price discrepancy on the booking page and they simply asked me to pay whatever is asked and they will refund the extra amount later if not justified. That was the final nail in the coffin and I cancelled the reservation and got back the refund today.
BLACKRiVAL is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 09:28   #559
Senior - BHPian

I got the purchase window open on 17th. I quickly checked the dispatch date (if I paid immediately) and it showed 30th April 2022 for my pincode in MH, which was too late for me.

I anyway went ahead and filled in other details but did not place the order (still hesitant).. kept going back and forth on the decision to pay. On 19th March, I finally decided to pull the trigger and dud. The app started showing "There is an error with your pincode" and would not let me press the Confirm button on address page. That's it, from that time onwards till last night the error never went away.

May be it was a blessing in disguise. I do not think they would have dispatched the scooter on 30th April as promised anyway. Will continue with trusty old Activa for foreseeable future.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:59   #560
BHPian

OLA is an IT company, not an automobile company. Until they become an automobile company with the necessary mindset that this requires, I will stay away from OLA's "brick and mortar" products.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 10:57   #561
BHPian

https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...-year/90353887

News continues to show the uncertainty in the company. If the top management are jumping ship at this rate, imagine what is happening down the line.

With no clarity on the after sales support and solution to teething issues, even if I have to buy one will not consider Ola.
Asif 6959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 06:59   #562
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbFPq...dium=copy_link
I saw this on Instagram. Scary! This ia a severely dangerous thing that's not a one off occurrence now. I wonder how this was not detected during the testing phase.
hemanth.anand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 12:45   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

I saw this on Instagram. Scary! This ia a severely dangerous thing that's not a one off occurrence now. I wonder how this was not detected during the testing phase.
Okay now this is a second video surfaced and it's a major safety issue ! Till it's not resolved I hope Ola disables the reverse function for all scooters that have been delivered (OTA updates maybe ?) It's about time Ola pulls up it's socks and fixes these dangerous faults in the scooter. Meanwhile I'm wondering if there's any quality control department existing in Ola at all ! These incidents are just going to push away fence sitters like me. Ather seems to be doing great so far, time to check out that scooter.
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 15:32   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
Okay now this is a second video surfaced and it's a major safety issue !
Actually we have 3videos already in thus thread alone...autocar review being the third one.

And as if the reverse issue was not dangerous enough...i saw this on Instagram today.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cbj92v5Lbk6/

Really scary!

A small explosion from the floor area just shows it's a thermal management issue.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th March 2022, 15:42   #565
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Chinese and western EV manufacturers should take into account the heat and road conditions of India.

So simply buying scooter designs or importing ready made scooters just won't work in India.

Ev should be tested in the hottest place in India and pass.

As for the ola fire, I hope they investigate it and if a design fault is there, issue a recall like how Hyundai did with Kona worldwide.

But then again Hyundai didn't do a recall in India.

Last edited by aim120 : 26th March 2022 at 15:44.
aim120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 10:27   #566
BHPian

Am a little worried here and my mind goes back to the article published in The Ken. Ola seems to be treating these like software bugs. And this is not acceptable.

We all know how bad the MCAS was in Boeing 737MAX jets. Only relief here is that Ola is acknowedging the issue and looking into it. However, there are too many issues to resolve. Let's hope they get their act together cause the S1Pro is a good bike on paper.
sameer_vwagner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 19:16   #567
BHPian

Ola also bagged battery manufacturing under the PLI program. Hope they apply their learnings out of the the scooter manufacturing.

Quote:
Ola and Hyundai each have been awarded production-linked incentives for setting up 20 gigawatt hour of manufacturing capacity for advanced chemistry cell battery storage, the Ministry of Heavy Industries said in a statement
https://www.bloombergquint.com/busin...lants-in-india

Ola & hyundai bagged 20GWH while Reliance got 5GWH with another 15GWH being waitlisted
Old 30th March 2022, 15:54   #568
BHPian

If making a Car/Motorcycle is one thing then E.V batteries are a parallel universe in itself, all and sundry are jumping the E.V bandwagon with half baked products with little consideration to Indian climate conditions, usage patterns, charging scenarios and monitoring of manufacturing of critical components.

Poor BMS, hyper/super/racer modes also contribute to overload on battery causing such incidents.

As in an ICE vehicle improper integration of Engine-gearbox will effect performance in a EV improper Hardware-software integration can cause real pain.
A patchy/buggy software will end up loading the hardware (battery/motor).

Another thing to remember , Petrol/diesel self ignite at extremely high temperatures whereas we are seeing Batteries self igniting at operation conditions and not just the fire the fumes are equally dangerous as the other incident in T.N showed.

Imagine a large residential complex with multiple EV vehicles charging over night in the basement and one of them catches fire while charging could lead to a chain reaction with flames and deadly fumes and no way to extinguish it.

All stake holder here, the Govt., testing agencies, OEM's need to align before people start loosing their confidence.
Gaur is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 21:35   #569
BHPian

New day, new troubles for Ola. Another case of a glitch leading to the scooter accelerating in reverse mode-

An article about the same- https://www.cartoq.com/ola-s1-pro-ac...h-speed-video/

Can't comment about the video but given the niggles in some of their scooters delivered now, can't deny the same too .
@og_adi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 08:25   #570
Senior - BHPian

This is why I hate too much of electronics and software in vehicles. Keep them simple and mechanical. Instead of fly by wire. Who needs a road going computer? Who needs a reverse gear in a scooter? All we need is a comfortable vehicle with efficient, reliable propulsion. Be it IC or EV.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks