Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2022, 17:55   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ola Electric scooter suspension breaks after head-on collision

Is this really a serious issue?

We really can't determine the forces behind an accident without any reference video etc. Things break in an accident and I don't think this deserves any of the attention it's receiving.
Turbohead is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 19:39   #587
BHPian

Can't help but chuckle at the irony of an EV scooter breaking down and stopping at a gas pump. "Never stop at a petrol pump again" sales pitch was not true for this poor chap.
Doge is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 18th April 2022, 20:29   #588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Several pictures of a broken-down Ola S1 Pro have gone viral on the internet, and the front apron appears to have been damaged by the failure of the front fork."
I dont get the point. There was a head on collision and the front suspension collapsed. I think the scooter did very well and on impact the suspension crumbled. That could be a built in passive safety feature.

I think Zeenews had some other agenda by this article.
Indian2003 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 08:58   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
I dont get the point. There was a head on collision and the front suspension collapsed. I think the scooter did very well and on impact the suspension crumbled. That could be a built in passive safety feature.
I don't get it either. A scooter upon headon collision has all the front panels, even the mudguard, mirrors and handles undamaged and perfectly aligned in place, but just the suspension is broken. And the wheel has moved outward and not inward after a head-on collision...I don't get it.

Name:  olas1pro2.jpg
Views: 1203
Size:  142.1 KB

Name:  olas1pro1.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  141.7 KB

Collapsible steering wheel as a safety feature I have heard ...Collapsible front wheel and that too in a two-wheeler as a safety feature...If you have some research paper to hint at such a passive safety feature please share!
hemanth.anand is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 20th April 2022, 18:17   #590
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Ola still needs go a long way just prove itself an automaker. The products (S1, S1 Pro) are totally half baked. And of course there is no commitment from the management either regarding the current product line-up as well.

And regarding Ola's business model, personally I believe that it may not be successful in the long run with its sales and service model in a market like India and with a product like S1/S1pro.

Until then, definitely no Ola. Rather Ather is 100% better which is what I recommend to any potential EV 2 wheeler buyer.
Old 21st April 2022, 00:33   #591
BHPian

In the run up to MoveOs2 OTA update for Ola S1 Bhavish Aggarwal this time tweeted teaser of it’s Ola Electric app showing the demo of the app.

Link :

https://twitter.com/bhash/status/151...i_k7oSxc10mv0g
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-9ca62121a6d14376b6f70f1c2a54dbf8.jpeg  

Old 21st April 2022, 11:13   #592
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
That could be a built in passive safety feature.
I am sure that you mentioned it as a joke

The bowing down to thee posture is classic fork disintegration in motion. Some older "Bullet" riders and recently some Himalayan riders would agree and so would their scars.
This case could be triggered by the collision forces but those seem minor since no visible impact marks or rider injuries which brings the materials and design into scrutiny.

I stress this because the moment I saw/rode an Okinawa Lite my first thought was that the front fork is going to break if I pass through the potholes I just came through on my Access. The Ola resembles that in suspension design, quality is marginally better but I can only confirm that once I ride an Ola.

Most EVs are poorly made. Materials, workmanship and software all together.

I am inclined to believe that the iQube and Chetak are built well since TVS and Bajaj know how to make a two wheeler for our roads and Ather has got excellent reviews barring some software issues.
Then we have the Chinese assemblies going by various names but similar quality and issues.

Then comes Ola which tried to slot in the gap between the two with a world of hype. But in essense and what the incidents prove that it shares the issues of both while getting close to the pricing of the flagships.

Investor money and marketing can only take you so far. After that well engineered products will carry the torch forward, the top honcho(s) should realise that before announcing their successes which are yet to be achieved.

Last edited by shancz : 21st April 2022 at 11:33. Reason: typos, punct
shancz is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 18:44   #593
Distinguished - BHPian

Ola Electric posts losses of almost Rs 200 crore FY21.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 11:46   #594
Senior - BHPian

Ola scooter is continuously in news these days. Another customer claims the regenerative braking system acted weird on speed breaker leading to an accident.

Link

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-49f6f5fc50444739a65e2f448631b6b4.jpeg

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd May 2022 at 22:36. Reason: Picture inserted in-line.
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:01   #595
BHPian

Ola has tweeted more details in regards to the unfortunate incident that the kid had to go though.

https://twitter.com/OlaElectric/stat...78075972890624

Last edited by aah78 : 3rd May 2022 at 22:36. Reason: Link fixed.
nish6474 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:17   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Ola scooter is continuously in news these days. Another customer claims the regenerative braking system acted weird on speed breaker leading to an accident.
Ola replied to the incident with data. The rider was overspeeding throughout the ride going 100+ kmph and at the time of accident riding at 95 kmph at a speed breaker.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-incident.jpg

Source:
https://twitter.com/OlaElectric/stat...04pnrHrXA&s=08
sri_tesla is offline   (47) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 12:25   #597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Ola replied to the incident with data.
While not a fan of their egocentric CEO, must say this is the way a company needs to respond to such incidents- measured, with data, and yet expressing concern for the person. Kudos to Ola for this!

Interesting application from the new age trend of vehicles gathering data on their owner's driving/riding habits. In the long-term, this coupled with dash cam footage should go a long way to figuring out accident causes and factors. And should help in police investigations as well, especially to close complaints filed.

Last edited by am1m : 22nd April 2022 at 12:28.
am1m is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 13:26   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ola replied to the incident with data. The rider was overspeeding throughout the ride going 100+ kmph and at the time of accident riding at 95 kmph at a speed breaker.
Thanks for sharing. Good to see all the connected features being put to good use. Agreed, can’t blame the scooter for this particular case
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 14:59   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a good reply, kudos to Ola
Not an issue with the scooter but the rider.
He got a lesson on connected tech in the most unforgettable way

But also raises a concern over the privacy angle but I guess its going to be the norm with connected tech.

Last edited by shancz : 22nd April 2022 at 15:02. Reason: adc
shancz is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 15:07   #600
BHPian

Good reply from the data, I understand. However, why is Ola not sharing such analysis for other cases which are being reported, like sudden 100km/hr speed in reverse mode etc. Ola responded on this incident alone as the analysis was pro them, isn't it?

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (30) Thanks

Most Viewed