Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2022, 21:52   #676
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

^^ Are these issues specific to Ola scooters? I didn't come across any such issues for Ather.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:01   #677
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ Are these issues specific to Ola scooters? I didn't come across any such issues for Ather.
Yes, they seem to be specific to Ola.

Thats why industry insiders say that Ather scooters are the real deal.
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2022, 22:40   #678
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

The battery soc or state of charge will get accurate only after cycling the battery( charging and discharging).

A dumb system would calculate the soc by pack voltage.
Most chargers, power banks, cordless tools, shavers etc use this method.
But in EV because the motors are so powerful, the voltage sags as the motor draws more current(like during acceleration or at top speed).
So when the charge is really low like 30 percent and if one floors the throttle. The voltage will drop below the set threshold for cut Off.
As a person who has used Radio control cars( since early 2000s )with user adjustable parameters like power, voltage cut off etc. A real EV is just a 1:1 scale version of a radio control car in terms of drive train and working principle.

Now normally in that scenario, you reset the electronic speed controller by switching it on and off.

But in a software driven vehicle, there may be still a method to do a reset. I mean our phones have them.

The other more sophisticated soc is when you have a columb meter, this actually shows the kwh, Ampere hour remaining and is very very accurate. I would rather have the screen show me this info then a battery percentage.
For eg hypothetically if the Ola uses a 50v battery pack and it uses 3ah cells each and has a total of 60Ah in a pack. You can know how much AH is remaining down to milli ah. If it also shows the pack voltage and lowest voltage recorded during heavy acceleration, one doesn't need to think much to put two and two together.

All of these should be available in Ola, since it cost pennies. But the question is do they show this in GUI screen.

Many DIY EV conversion even show the status of each cell and can replace the defective cell.
aim120 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:03   #679
BHPian

Ola should, for the time being, release a patch to disable Hyper mode once the battery drops to certain percentage, say 50%. Unfortunately, the current crop of owners are turning out to be beta testers for Ola Electric. Its been 3 years since the launch of Ather and the common issue that I have heard about, up to now, are the rattles, but Ola seems to be plagued with many issues from day 1.

One of my friends bought the S1 Pro in blue shade, for the sake of his and all the other owners of these scooters, I hope Ola sorts all these issues ASAP, but if they go into denial mode and use the media and 'fans' to cover these, then god help these poor souls.
tchsvy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 11:09   #680
Senior - BHPian

^^ I am also worried about my BIL and his wife using the Ola S1 Pro. I have brought all the issues to their attention and told them to be very careful, but still am worried about their safety. They are no spring chickens either, he is 61 and his wife is 56. They use their car mainly and the scooter only occasionally, but that is no consolation. It is wrong on the part of Ola to beta test the scooter on the customers.

Just for this very reason I cancelled my booking and am looking at the Ather now.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 13:47   #681
Senior - BHPian

Don't be worried, there's no point now that you bought it. I'd buy a tiny fire extinguisher like CeaseFire and keep it under the seat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I have brought all the issues to their attention and told them to be very careful, but still am worried about their safety
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2022, 16:36   #682
Senior - BHPian

^^ I am more worried about the scooter suddenly runing in reverse while starting from a traffic signal, especially when my BIL's wife is riding it. It can be so disorienting and dangerous.
Gansan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 00:07   #683
BHPian

Ola electric is Planning a ride coming Sunday with MoveOs2 Beta customers in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-06f396a4dd4a443db724c8f235a75be9.jpeg  

Old 5th May 2022, 00:37   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRoader_001 View Post
Ola electric is Planning a ride coming Sunday with MoveOs2 Beta customers in Bangalore.
Noob question: Is this an official acknowledgement that the customer's are indeed Beta testers for Ola? (No sarcasm intended, just curious)
Vtach is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 05:33   #685
Senior - BHPian

The software is in BETA stage (Not customers). Such drives will instill confidence and they should do one every weekend
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtach View Post
Noob question: Is this an official acknowledgement that the customer's are indeed Beta testers for Ola? (No sarcasm intended, just curious)

Last edited by Sebring : 5th May 2022 at 05:35.
Old 5th May 2022, 11:35   #686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
The software is in BETA stage (Not customers). Such drives will instill confidence and they should do one every weekend
It's the customers who would be using this Beta software in their own scooters right? That sounds like beta testers!
Or is Ola bringing factory scooters t with this Beta software to this event for prospective customers to experience and report on? What am I missing here?
Vtach is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 13:53   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
Well, LG batteries were involved in Chevrolet bolt ev fires as well. Not saying they would not have corrected the issue, but just because its a reputed brand doesn't means its safer.
And the same LG Chem which owns LG Polymers, whose factory had a deadly gas leak at its Visakhapatnam factory in May 2020, which killed 13 people and injured over 1,000 others. Supposedly, the worst gas leak in India since the Bhopal chemical disaster in 1984. The company took over the factory in 1997, but had not gotten an environment clearance till the time of the leak.

Well!!

Link
Old 5th May 2022, 19:44   #688
Senior - BHPian

Ola is getting the scooters for customers to try is what I think it means
Quote:
Or is Ola bringing factory scooters t with this Beta software to this event for prospective customers to experience and report on?
Old 5th May 2022, 21:26   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

We are now reading about proxy trolls by Ola to counter criticism by its own customers. Ola Electric is allegedly using troll accounts to go after its own customers. The report has appeared in Livemint and hence has the credibility as news.

Quote:
Livemint says that a network of coordinated Twitter handles is allegedly working to help Ola Electric by criticising the complaints posted by the customers. The handles are trying to keep the image of Ola Electric clean on social media including Twitter. The report says that these troll accounts are likely created by digital media agencies or freelance networks that work for multiple agencies.
We at teambhp are however safe as this forum is 100% planted and tutored troll free.

The link:-

https://www.cartoq.com/ola-electric-...-media-report/
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 21:57   #690
BHPian

Quote:
It's the customers who would be using this Beta software in their own scooters right? That sounds like beta testers!
Or is Ola bringing factory scooters t with this Beta software to this event for prospective customers to experience and report on? What am I missing here?
The beta software is for new features coming (Navigation, Cruise Control, Bluetooth, etc...) as part of Move OS 2.0. They are already being tested internally and now they are expanding it to a broader group before releasing it to everyone.

I am not sure why is this a problem suddenly. Ather has been doing the same for software updates and Tesla does the same for the FSD (Full Self Driving) updates.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 5th May 2022 at 22:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks