Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2022, 19:44   #706
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigcee View Post
Got my S1 Pro delivered on May 4th, had booked it on March 18th.
Congratulations. Wish you many happy miles ahead.

Quote:
The scooter is genuinely quick on Hyper mode , but i find the normal mode quite adequate for Bangalore traffic . A steep incline with a pillion demands sport or hyper mode.

And the true range seems to be around 100km , which is still adequate without range anxiety. Will definitely do a long ride soon. Also I reset the scooter for the true range, it drops by 4-5% overnight which doesn't show up on the display.
Range varies a lot with riding style on EVs. Also, I would suggest to use sports mode for regular rides as the normal mode pickup is less and you need to use throttle more which results in more battery usage and lower range. There is a wonderful article on the Ather forums about this which details how to get good range with EVs which I linked below.

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/tips...her-450x/14059

The most perplexing thing to me is that I am not able to find a single video that did a proper range test between Ola and Ather or other EVs like Chetak, iQube, etc... There are no such comparison articles or videos by the auto journalists either.
sri_tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 20:09   #707

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Congratulations. Wish you many happy miles ahead.

Range varies a lot with riding style on EVs. Also, I would suggest to use sports mode for regular rides as the normal mode pickup is less and you need to use throttle more which results in more battery usage and lower range. There is a wonderful article on the Ather forums about this which details how to get good range with EVs which I linked below.

https://forum.atherenergy.com/t/tips...her-450x/14059

The most perplexing thing to me is that I am not able to find a single video that did a proper range test between Ola and Ather or other EVs like Chetak, iQube, etc... There are no such comparison articles or videos by the auto journalists either.
Thank you @sri_tesla!

Yes I plan to explore all modes and scenarios, just getting used to the scooter now. Like the motor getting cutoff when we brake, takes some getting used to.

And about the range test yes, no proper video yet! All I see is vloggers maxing out the battery till dead and complain that it broke down. And then call RSA and make a big scene on youtube . I don't let it fall below 20% for now, which is a general usage scenario for EV's .

My friend is getting his I-cube next month, so a proper comparo between ather , icube and ola can be done.

OT: His SA told there is a long range I-Cube coming soon, so he might get that if it releases soon!
Pigcee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 20:53   #708
BHPian

Email invites for Select Ola S1 Pro owners in Bengaluru for up coming Sunday meet for experiencing MoveOS2 Beta.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-22bbdf50f3e748389945be3d95d0daed.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 22:30   #709
Senior - BHPian

Lesics, one of the best engineering channels on youtube, created a video on OLA.

Another video, looks like OLA is getting enough hatred as Tesla used to get, every video has to have a followup explanation video.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th May 2022 at 07:11. Reason: Back to back posts merged
SKC-auto is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 08:47   #710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Lesics, one of the best engineering channels on Youtube, created a video on OLA.
Some technical issues that are glaring in their absence
- sudden switching to reverse mode (which ola has not yet acknowledged)
- sudden loss of range

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Another video, looks like OLA is getting enough hatred as Tesla used to get, every video has to have a followup explanation video.
The maker has his reasons for not making a video on Ather - that is his choice, not sure why one would direct hate at him.

In the video he mentions that the scooter that caught fire was due to the BMS being bypassed/tampered by the user!! Rather uncharacteristic of the OLA guys have not gone behind this user on twitter like they did with the reckless lawyer guy with all those charts?
Old 7th May 2022, 10:57   #711
Senior - BHPian

I'm a petrol head like most of us here are. Was always intrigued and awed by my friends ATHER. The performance is on expected lines, no surprises. Bro got himself a brand new OLA and thankfully it is behaving. Honestly, we are wishing the sector 'all the good luck and success'! Please don't think of any of us as anti-electric
Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
People can stick with their analog vehicles (whatever that means) if they want but don't expect EVs to be analog vehicles.
Attached Thumbnails
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-88ad0c9165774453bf370856209d4e67.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 11:37   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm a petrol head like most of us here are. Was always intrigued and awed by my friends ATHER. The performance is on expected lines, no surprises. Bro got himself a brand new OLA and thankfully it is behaving. Honestly, we are wishing the sector 'all the good luck and success'! Please don't think of any of us as anti-electric
I am sorry if my reply sounded like I am criticizing other members as anti-electric. I did not mean that. Who am I to judge other people's choices.

I just meant that is where the EV market is headed with respect to smart features. All the EV 2 wheelers (Ather, Ola, iQube, Chetak, etc...) have smart features like navigation, live tracking, geo-fencing alerts, companion apps, etc... These are just first-generation products. With each generation, we are only going to get more and more such features because of competition. It also allows the companies to price their products higher. Personally, I am not interested in some of these smart features, but features like navigation, ride statistics, energy consumption, charging status alerts, companion apps, etc... are good to have, especially for EVs.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 7th May 2022 at 11:42.
sri_tesla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 16:08   #713
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post

In the video he mentions that the scooter that caught fire was due to the BMS being bypassed/tampered by the user!! Rather uncharacteristic of the OLA guys have not gone behind this user on twitter like they did with the reckless lawyer guy with all those charts?
I doubt the rumour of BMS tampering, since ola is so software centric, it will spit out a error. This is disinformation cooked up probably by some one who wants to discredit the user.
Also which sane person is going to mess with the BMS which is there to protect. If one has so much know how to tamper the BMS, he or she should would also equally know why one shouldn't mess with the BMS.
aim120 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 21:30   #714
Distinguished - BHPian

I was reading the below article about an Ola factory tour by Plug India today.

https://www.****************/blogs/w...-manufacturing

At the end they also have a Q&A section with Ola CEO. One answer really surprised me (the 4th one in the below screenshot). Doesn't augur well and totally uncalled-for IMO.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-screenshot_20220507181408_chrome.jpg

A simple "we are investigating into it" or "there are no issues at all" was enough instead of pointing fingers at others with false allegations.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 7th May 2022 at 21:36.
hemanth.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th May 2022, 22:40   #715

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra__foxtrot View Post

Coming to the after sales, last week I had an incident with the bike wherein I had engaged the side stand and went to open my house gate. After 2 - 3 seconds, I turn back to a thud sound and to my horror the bike is on the ground. Once I picked it up, I noticed some deep paint scratches and marks on the body panel and the brake handle broken and a lot of panel gaps, which I fixed by using force. The culprit here is the poorly engineered side stand.
The same scenario played out today and my scooter had its first tumble in the first week of ownership.
The stand mechanism feels rubbery and coupled with wet mud from Bangalore weather , it fell on its side.
Thankfully no damage except a couple of scratches which aren't really visible.

While the stand itself is sturdy, the mechanism feels rubbery and isn't confidence inspiring.

Will have to be more careful in parking it now!
Pigcee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 08:15   #716
Distinguished - BHPian

And now a top executive Mr Dinesh Radhakrishnan has quit Ola. His predecessor Mr Gaurav Aggarwal too quit his post quite abruptly, very recently. Mr Radhakrishnan held the post of Chief Technology Officer and was looking after Ola Electrics and Ola Cabs. This also comes close to the heels of Mr Arun Sirdeshmukh, CEO, Ola Cars quitting his post.

Many top executives have quit jobs with around one year tenures at Ola which is recently plagued by the electric scooter fires.

The link:-

https://m.economictimes.com/news/com...w/91423602.cms
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 01:29   #717
BHPian

Ola Electric chief marketing officer Varun Dubey has quit citing personal reasons, days after CTO Dinesh Radhakrishnan departed in a series of top-level exits.

Ola has witnessed a spate of exits in recent months, including its Chief Financial Officer Swayam Saurabh, Chief Operating Officer Gaurav Porwal, HR head Rohit Munjal and General Counsel Sandeep Chowdhury.

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...t-8491111.html
Sran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 10:43   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

Another Ola scooter goes into reverse mode in full speed, leaves rider severely injured

Ola was in the news yesterday. Im not saying anything more on this, since the most vociferous advocates of the brand on this forum, will bring out their pitchforks once again and the discussions get deliberately derailed.

Another Ola scooter goes into reverse mode in full speed, leaves rider severely injured

Quote:
“The software bug in the #olaelectric scooter of going in the reverse mode at full speed has severely injured my father. He was the one who even at the age of 65 is very active and was enthusiastic to use #ola #electricvehicle. Please look at what your #poorlytested scooter has done to him,” Maheshwari said.

“He was only taking the scooter from outside the house to park inside. He has banged his head on a wall with almost the skull open (with 10 stiches now) and broken his left arm which would have to be operated with 2 plates inserted,” he added.
Quote:
Maheshwari demanded that the company recall the scooters to fix the bug as it has now happened on multiple occasions.

"I moved back to India last year to take care of my parents and was ecstatic about the India EV revolution. I was not a bit hesitant to book the scooter on the day of opening the booking as I wanted to support companies like you and didn’t think that #healthandsafety norms would be compromised to this level at your #futurefactory," he added in the post. "Even after multiple reports of the reverse mode triggering in full throttle has been made multiple ola customers, no recall or fixes have been declared. I urge you to make sure no one else gets be harmed because of your faults."
Quote:
The scooter was delivered to Maheshwari on January 15, 2022. He told ETAuto that he had experienced a similar problem on the second day of the delivery itself. However, since the scooter was new and the issue didn’t occur again, he did not pay much attention to it. Incidentally, the vehicle control unit (VCU) of the scooter had been fixed recently by the company, which should have corrected any of the inherent software glitches in the vehicle. Ola has been silently fixing VCU in their scooters primarily to address issues related to battery drainage in the vehicle.
neil.jericho is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 12:11   #719
BHPian

Re: Another Ola scooter goes into reverse mode in full speed, leaves rider severely injured

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
This is disconcerting indeed. I hope there is some statutory body overseeing these companies testing out things on regular folks. For getting a new medicine/medical device approval to be sold commercially, there are bodies like the US FDA, Indian CDSCO to whom you need to submit a detailed plan of how your preclinical, then clinical( phase1,2,3) and then post marketing surveillance (phase4) are going to be held, with strict checkpoints at each stage. I wonder if there is any such mechanism in place for vehicle manufacturers..these are human lives at stake here for Godsake and not a computer that you can just reboot if it crashes.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 12th May 2022 at 13:20. Reason: fixing the quote tags
Vtach is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2022, 13:39   #720
BHPian

Ola Electric sent a legal notice to Balwant Singh - the Guwahati resident whose son had met with an accident on the escooter around a month back

https://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bu...s-8493451.html
mathewspaul is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks