Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 08:38   #856
BHPian

Re: Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review

I checked out both Ola and Ather manuals for service schedule. Ather has a 5k km/ 1 year checkup and 10k km/ 2 year service. Ola will probably follow a similar cadence.

Periodic service of ICE scooters is one of the biggest deterrent for me at least.

I had done a survey a few years back when I was thinking of getting a scooter for my wife. The service intervals ranged from every 70 days (Yamaha) to 100 days (TVS). That is far too frequent! Even if an average service ends up costing ₹400/500, this is an additional expense of ₹1500-₹2000 every year (or about 10k in 5 years. How much was the cost of the battery replacement again?) that nobody considers. This is over and above the hassle of 4-5 days of taking the scooter into service + downtime. With the long warranties being offered, not following these service intervals is not an option! I don't have that kind of time to baby a machine that will probably be barely used.

Most motorcycles are serviced at much longer intervals but I found most scooter service intervals to be a travesty!
Old 7th December 2022, 10:54   #857
Senior - BHPian

^^ If anyone wants an Ice scooter now, the best option is to buy sparingly used and out of warranty, or buy and rebuild if already well used. Buy a carb model only and do away with FI hassles. I would suggest this for even motorbikes. We can buy as old as five or six year models. We can service them twice a year at six month intervals and nothing will happen. Especially if the usage is only a couple or three hundred km a month. They will run just fine. Even for higher usage. I service my Y2k Splendor every 6000 km or six months, by using the highest spec Shell synthetic oil (Shell Advance Long Ride 10W50 - API SN). Mine runs 1000 km a month.
Old 7th December 2022, 11:21   #858

Unable to wake S1 Pro below 40%

I have faced this on multiple occasions in my S1 Pro wherein if the charge is around 50% and below, the scooter will not respond to any button presses.
Only solution is to wake it up through the app or charge over 50%.

This is not a regular phenomenon but it has occurred frequently enough for me to have a solution handy.

Has anyone else faced this issue?

PS : Yes, my software is updated; done the hold button and check for upgrades drill also.
Old 7th December 2022, 14:47   #859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I had done a survey a few years back when I was thinking of getting a scooter for my wife. The service intervals ranged from every 70 days (Yamaha) to 100 days (TVS). .....
I don't have that kind of time to baby a machine that will probably be barely used.
For a low mileage scooter, I don't see why a service visit is needed every 3 months. In my case out post the free service of the TVS Jupiter, it has had only service visits in 1+ year interval. The OEM battery conked out after ~5years of infrequent usage. This has been the only additional cost apart from the regular oil change & maintenance.
But your point is valid that the regular service costs do add up over a long period of time.

Ex: TVS jupiter manual says a service is needed every 3000km. If the usage is very low, then may be an annual visit to topup the lubes and top up battery is sufficient.
Old 7th December 2022, 18:21   #860
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
I checked out both Ola and Ather manuals for service schedule. Ather has a 5k km/ 1 year checkup and 10k km/ 2 year service. Ola will probably follow a similar cadence.

Periodic service of ICE scooters is one of the biggest deterrent for me at least.

I had done a survey a few years back when I was thinking of getting a scooter for my wife. The service intervals ranged from every 70 days (Yamaha) to 100 days (TVS). That is far too frequent! Even if an average service ends up costing ₹400/500, this is an additional expense of ₹1500-₹2000 every year (or about 10k in 5 years. How much was the cost of the battery replacement again?) that nobody considers. This is over and above the hassle of 4-5 days of taking the scooter into service + downtime. With the long warranties being offered, not following these service intervals is not an option! I don't have that kind of time to baby a machine that will probably be barely used.

Most motorcycles are serviced at much longer intervals but I found most scooter service intervals to be a travesty!
Some service centers put up a pamplet in the service centers with their own service interval kms (fewer kms), which is not what the factory service manual will say.

The increase in the so called warranty, is a tactic itself to fleece customers, with warranty avoid if not serviced regularly tag.

In fact when I used to give my honda 2 wheeler for service it always came back with new scratches, stripped screws or bolt head.

I have stopped giving my activa and aviator for service after the warranty period got over, its been 7 years since I started doing diy service like changing oil, air filter, dab of grease in brake levers every now and then and the vehicle runs without any issue because everything is done according to factory service manual.

Even those doing 10k kms a year only need to get the oil changed twice if a mineral oil or once if using a fully synthetic oil. A shell petrol bunk will do a free oil change, if the oil is bought from their store and you don't have to wait for a whole day to get your vehicle serviced. They do this in less then 5 min.
Old 13th December 2022, 17:35   #861
BHPian

A request from a friend of mine:

Where can one get a new set of tyres for Ola S1 Pro (in Bangalore)?

Size is 110/70 R12 and seems to be not easily available.

Last edited by carthick1000 : 13th December 2022 at 17:38.
Old 13th December 2022, 22:47   #862
Senior - BHPian

Could not find this profile tyre online, even mrf website also does not list. I remember OLA delivering the tyres, seems like that is the only option.

SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 08:44   #863
BHPian

There is a limit to this online model. This will not work once OLA sales reach lakhs of units. Service calls will be enormous to handle. What next! OLA is going to tie up with Zomato for door to door service!

I recently changed my tyres for Activa. After reading this news of the non-availability of tires, I am just wondering how companies think about launching products like this... Is this just me? What if I am stuck at Marathahalli at 7 PM in the evening with an unrepairable tire!
Old 16th December 2022, 00:13   #864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
Size is 110/70 R12 and seems to be not easily available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I remember OLA delivering the tyres, seems like that is the only option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pogo0120 View Post
After reading this news of the non-availability of tires, I am just wondering how companies think about launching products like this... Is this just me? What if I am stuck at Marathahalli at 7 PM in the evening with an unrepairable tire!
Update

My friend had to call Ola service center and they got the new tire for him. It took in total 24 hours to get this fixed. Tire size unavailability in aftermarket and dependency on the OEM for a tire change is too bad indeed.
carthick1000 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 10:55   #865
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday visited the Kormangala experience center, me and wife took test drive, the test drive scooters have Move OS 3. They have added some loud exhaust noise, I did not inform my wife and she was totally confused after the ride, her first question was why this horrible sound, is this supposed to be silent. Yes, the noise from speakers is tuned very badly, there are different options but I am not interested anyways.

Booked OLA S1, most of their offers are just gimmick, they say 0% processing but took 2500₹ as some other charge, if I want to get 0% interest then need to pay 6500₹ for ₹65K loan. They have ₹2K as cashback which will be given after delivery, not sure if I ever get this cashback as I am planning to get the scooter after Jan 1st.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 19th December 2022 at 10:57.
Old 23rd December 2022, 23:37   #866
BHPian

Ordered on 16th December, home delivered on 23rd December (Kolhapur, Maharashtra).

Ola S1 Porcelain White. Manufactured in Dec 2022.

Financing/Loan - No.
Insurance- Acko.
Extended warranty- Yes.
Amount Paid - ₹1,21,838.

From booking to delivery entire journey was virtual/online. No complaints on either booking, delivery or paperwork.

Quick observations.

1) Uneven, ugly panel gaps.
2) Non-intuitive rubbery switches.
3) Powerful motor, aggressive throttle response in sports mode.
4) Annoying system sounds.
5) True range claim of 128KM is with 1 rider weighing <= 70KG , on eco mode with speed 30-40KMPH.
6) Big under-seat storage.
7) Motor makes weird sound on rapid acceleration.
8) Braking and overall ride quality is satisfactory.
9) Accessories like side step , centre stand still unavailable.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-e7015e6f5c5344dc8ab9006949cb60ea.jpeg

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-84bd531477c642959f375d8b53db3397.jpeg

Last edited by AjinkyaP : 23rd December 2022 at 23:42.
AjinkyaP is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 03:34   #867
BHPian

Finally I have taken the plunge and have bought the S1 Pro Midnight Pink colour. It was delivered to my house on 4th Jan. Since I had purchased it on 29th Dec, I am eligible for the Dec Offer.

Initial observation - scooter is very powerful in Hyper mode and equally dull in Eco Mode.
I don't think ever, we will use the eco mode. Lowest will be Normal mode.

Have done about 41 kms since the scooter arrived. Its a silent beast. I will update the thread later with some pics and also my experience. (Might even create a new ownership thread)

Please note: the scooter is Midnight PINK as my wife and daughter loved that colour and since they would be riding it more than me, I went with the colour and frankly even I have started liking that colour.
kailashnj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2023, 11:06   #868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
Finally I have taken the plunge and have bought the S1 Pro Midnight Pink colour. It was delivered to my house on 4th Jan. Since I had purchased it on 29th Dec, I am eligible for the Dec Offer.

Initial observation - scooter is very powerful in Hyper mode and equally dull in Eco Mode.
I don't think ever, we will use the eco mode. Lowest will be Normal mode.

Have done about 41 kms since the scooter arrived. Its a silent beast. I will update the thread later with some pics and also my experience. (Might even create a new ownership thread)

Please note: the scooter is Midnight PINK as my wife and daughter loved that colour and since they would be riding it more than me, I went with the colour and frankly even I have started liking that colour.
Does it have hill hold? I heard through a friend it's a gimmick and needs manual activation. Doesn't automatically detect a gradient, have to press both brakes for 3s before it activates. If true, this is not very intuitive. I recently sat in an electric auto rickshaw in Bangalore and was surprised it had a seamless hill hold. Expecting similar in 2Ws as well
Old 10th January 2023, 15:59   #869
BHPian

Finally, Ola has launched the center stand and side step official accessories on their Accessories Page.

Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-ola_center-stan-web-zoom-.png
Ola S1 Electric Scooter Review-ola_side-step-web1.png

Ordered both. There is no information on the installation appointment (so far).
msarunms1987 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 16:04   #870
Senior - BHPian

^^ What is the cost? Please inform after installation if the side step is of a load bearing nature, because women riding pillion sideways will use it as a step to climb on. It is one thing to just keep the feet on it, and another to use it for climbing on.
Gansan is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks