Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2021, 16:36   #1
BHPian

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality

Sharing this so that people are aware of what they can expect from TVS.

I kind of knew that TVS was not known for the quality of products that they offer, as my sister owned a scooty in the year 2008 and that was poorly built as well. What surprised me the most was the fact that they hadn't changed in all these years. The things which I found were off on my Apache middle variant after owning it for 1 month and doing 1000kms,

1. The bolts used in the bike are asymmetrical, the bolt heads don't seem to match one and other even though they are of the same size.
2. The fabric of the seat isn't of a good quality it has some cheap carbon Fibre theme on the side which is coming off, an unnecessary design I feel.
3.They haven't done any surface finishing to remove weld splatter from the welding area and the welding is of poor filling (less thickness). The quality of weld is very poor on the bike.
4. The paint thickness on the chassis is bare minimum just enough to leave the showroom thin enough to fly off at 100kph.
5. There are rust spots on multiple places throughout the bike.
6. The finishing on the alloy is poor its a rough finish on the back alloy and a smooth finish on the red alloy (4 million edition). I cannot understand why there is a difference, can't it be smooth finish?
7. The plastic panels have poor fit and finish they have rough edges all over.
8. The panel doesnt fit properly at the headlight unit.
9. The oil cooler fins are flimsy I already have 2 dents on it.

The above observations were made comparing the build quality to the other bikes that I own. Yamaha and KTM whose build quality is way higher than that of TVS.
Attached Thumbnails
TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211127_160649.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211127_153438.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211126_152528.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211127_153559.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211127_153504.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211127_153824.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211126_152915.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211127_153732.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211126_152608.jpg  

TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality-20211126_152646.jpg  

Shonith is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 28th November 2021, 16:28   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: TVS Apache RTR 160 4V, 2022 model build quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonith View Post
1. The bolts used in the bike are asymmetrical, the bolt heads don't seem to match one and other even though they are of the same size.
Though that doesn't make any functional difference and I believe these are hidden under the seat (away from sight), if you are bothered ask the dealer to change either of them matching with the other

Quote:
3.They haven't done any surface finishing to remove weld splatter from the welding area
Everything comes with a cost, when the exhaust is covered with a finisher, obviously they save some bucks in skipping the post processing

Quote:
6. The finishing on the alloy is poor its a rough finish on the back alloy and a smooth finish on the red alloy (4 million edition). I cannot understand why there is a difference, can't it be smooth finish?
You mean Matte and Shiny? To me matte finish looks better and everyone has their own choice

Quote:
9. The oil cooler fins are flimsy I already have 2 dents on it.
This is applicable for any brand, including the radiator and condensor in cars. Making them strudier will defeat the purpose of heat dissipation.

Quote:
The above observations were made comparing the build quality to the other bikes that I own. Yamaha and KTM whose build quality is way higher than that of TVS.
A proper PDI should have saved you
Mr.Boss is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 08:46   #3
BHPian

If you were already aware of issues with TVS, what made you go for this brand again?

As an example, I bought a Honda CB Trigger and didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't buy another Honda ever again, no matter what.

My experience with TVS with multiple vehicles has been very good. The plastics may or may not last forever, but on my bike I only had to M-Seal the headlight cowl once after a bad fall and it lasted to the day I sold it.

The engines are reliable and replacement parts are easy to find and inexpensive. There's a lot of attention to function over form and I love that. The bendable indicator holdings are an example.

The paint quality has always been found to be better than the Honda I bought and sold.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this bashing.
hellmet is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 09:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
If you were already aware of issues with TVS, what made you go for this brand again?

As an example, I bought a Honda CB Trigger and didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't buy another Honda ever again, no matter what.

My experience with TVS with multiple vehicles has been very good. The plastics may or may not last forever, but on my bike I only had to M-Seal the headlight cowl once after a bad fall and it lasted to the day I sold it.

The engines are reliable and replacement parts are easy to find and inexpensive. There's a lot of attention to function over form and I love that. The bendable indicator holdings are an example.

The paint quality has always been found to be better than the Honda I bought and sold.

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this bashing.
I bought the bike taking into consideration 3 things, performance, comfort and mileage. Very few bikes offer these 3 things together. I found Apache to be a better overall package. For me, I expect quality from what I buy, I don't mind TVS increasing the price and offer decent product standard. Or else they can even offer a higher variant with better fit and finish. This is what I expect from TVS. I don't think TVS would last in the Indian market if they start cheaping out on engine components. I have heard that Honda has a high standard ( I have never owned one) I doubt if their paint quality is worse than TVS.
Shonith is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 10:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For me, I expect quality from what I buy, I don't mind TVS increasing the price and offer decent product standard. Or else they can even offer a higher variant with better fit and finish. This is what I expect from TVS. I don't think TVS would last in the Indian market if they start cheaping out on engine components.
I think its a matter of a wrong purchase. If its unbearable to live with, sell the bike and enjoy the peace of mind.

TVS is a mass market bike maker, they are delivering on what best is possible for the price. Thank god you didnt buy a Bajaj!! Bajaj's parts fall off from a moving vehicle, literally!! (refering to the silencer gate on Pulsar DTSI)
2000rpm is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:24   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Sharing this so that people are aware of what they can expect from TVS.

I kind of knew that TVS was not known for the quality of products that they offer..
Hey, thanks for sharing!

I recently checked out the Apache RR310 and the build quality seems good in that. In fact, I had checked it and the Yamaha MT15 back to back and the Yamaha switches look to be a step-down.

Did you check other bikes in the showroom or service center? Maybe it is a one-off issue and not the norm.
7000plusrpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Shonith, I largely agree with Mr.Boss's observations here. Since you listed out the different issues, Im just sharing my thoughts here

1. The dealer will replace the bolts as that they are asymmetrical.
2. If the peeling is noticeable, bring this to the attention of the dealership and claim for warranty.
3. This could have been identified in the PDI, if this was more than usual. If it is in line with what other RTR160 4V motorcycles have, then it is what it is.
4. I havent heard any instances of a motorcycle's paint flying off at 100 kmph! Any pictures towards this would be helpful.
5. Im not sure which is the corresponding picture for this.
6. This could have been identified in the PDI, if this was more than usual. If it is in line with what other RTR160 4V motorcycles have, then it is what it is.
7. This could have been identified in the PDI, if this was more than usual. If it is in line with what other RTR160 4V motorcycles have, then it is what it is.
8. This could have been identified in the PDI, if this was more than usual. If it is in line with what other RTR160 4V motorcycles have, then it is what it is.
9. You will find this on a TVS Apache RTR 160 4V and a superbike that costs Rs 20L. Stones thrown up by the front wheel will cause these to happen.

The RTR 160 4V is a very good bike. Dont worry about these minor issues which were missed before you took delivery. Enjoy the bike and let it be a great partner for you in your motorcycling adventures.
neil.jericho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 11:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Hey, thanks for sharing!

I recently checked out the Apache RR310 and the build quality seems good in that. In fact, I had checked it and the Yamaha MT15 back to back and the Yamaha switches look to be a step-down.

Did you check other bikes in the showroom or service center? Maybe it is a one-off issue and not the norm.
No, I didn't check other middle variant at the showroom. It may be an issue with my bike that possibility is always there. The switch gear even in the 160 is good. It has a positive click to it.
When I took the test ride, I did it in the 4 million edition. But I didn't look underneath the plastic. But I did notice the finishing on the alloy of that bike and that was definitely much better than that of my bike.
Old 30th November 2021, 09:38   #9
BHPian

I own a rtr200 bs6 for about 2 years now after my long relationship with pulsar (180 ug2 and bs3 150).

1. The rusting on the chassis number stamp is common on all bikes as per my experience.
2. The alloys are matte finish. That's the design. You could change your alloy if you do not like it
3. Absolutely no chips on my chasis. TVS warranty are easy as a pie. If you feel your chassis paint is chipping off that soon, get it to the eyes of TVS. I will detail my warranty experience below.
4. Those side panels seems bad, I agree. Mine is smooth.
5. The parts aren't cheap in anyway imo. My pulsar's plastic parts always started to rattle after a year of initial owning no matter how the bike is pampered. On the other hand, this muscular thing makes no noise even when diving into a pothole. Speaking of which, TVS has made excellent suspension tuning.

You should have done proper PDI before taking delivery as someone said above.

My experience with warranty claims:
1. 4 times digital speedometer replacement:

TVS R&D from Hosur came down to my service center along with the OEM manufacturer's engineers and took a days time to diagnose. They weren't able to find the issue. Gave me a brand new console and informed me they will update the cause. Same thing happened again and I was told the issue is identified and new console would be sent when the production with the fix roll out. Fixed and then a drop of water seeped in. Nothing big to cause issue but TVS politely replaced it as well with no questions or making faces. Received the 2022 model's clutch yoke and adjustable lever for free as a goodwill gesture.

2. Noise in engine:
This was a long series of parts of replacements. There was rattling noise in the engine whenever I revved it hard or whenever there is load on engine after it heats up. My initial feel was the rocker arms and it was replaced under warranty on my request since the noise is difficult to reproduce on a short time. The noise continued and the SM there ran through the previous history of other bikes and thought it could be a broken weld in one of the catcon near bend pipe that's rattling. Replaced full exhaust assembly and still nothing. At this point, I told them to keep the bike for as long as they want and I strongly suspect it's something within engine head. 1 week passed and SM informed the noise is from engine and he has ordered the head for replacement. On the day of fitting, they also say a small gap between the cylinder and piston. Showed me the piston and told will also replace the cylinder block free of cost.

Now you might call the above lack of diagnosis on service center part but I see it as a proactive effort they take to even replace parts that costs huge with only motive being to resolve customer issue. I wouldn't expect any other company to do so many replacements in 2 years time with a smiling face.

To me, I'm sticking to TVS after experiencing their after sales 1st hand. Services are expensive but they take care of small niggles and I get to stand along with the mechanic to overlook the work done.
vijai is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 13:40   #10
BHPian

TVS is the company I trust and respect more in the recent times. I bought a Scooty Pep+ for Dad in 2018 replacing Activa. The ODO stands at 12xxx kms on it which I covered 90% of them. Reason that I am using the Pep which intended for my Father is, its very comfortable, practical, reliable, cheap to run, cheap to maintain and most importantly its perfect for Bangalore urban areas.

I don't have any problem with the Pep apart from spark plug couple of times and exhaust pipe broken due to big mountain (we bangloreans call it speed breaker). Exhaust pipe just costed me 182rs.

On the other hand we hated Honda and regretted of buying one. It was fairly reliable but the service centre was always a disappointment. They just change the oil and wash the vehicle, never rectified other problems. Rust everywhere, front mud gaurd replaced twice, running board, side panel etc all these within 2 years of ownership. TVS never delivered the vehicle to us before completing all the jobs on job card. Once they even delivered the vehicle at home when we couldn't reach service centre on time.

I'm so satisfied with TVS that I am planning to buy Scooty Zest for myself and give Pep to dad. Since pandemic, my pulsar 220 covered only 200 odd kms which is higher than Avenger that I got.

Last edited by Karthik.thm : 30th November 2021 at 13:40. Reason: Typo
Karthik.thm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2021, 16:36   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I kind of knew that TVS was not known for the quality of products that they offer.

Sir, really feel sorry for your ordeal. It hurts to live with a bad product. But knowing that the product is of poor quality and still buying it, what a bad choice!

I am not an expert in quality. However, I am aware that TVS has got many awards for quality, like JD Power, Deming Prize for Total Quality Management etc! Forgive me if you feel these awards are dubious!
LoneRidder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2021, 11:43   #12
BHPian

I think yours was a defective product and you should raise the issue directly with the product team at TVS.

I believe TVS produces one of the best quality products for the price that they sell . Rusting is something that is common in many motorcycles, especially if you are living by coastal areas.
And you cannot compare a scooty of 2008 with the current ones in sale. Their products are much improved now.

I have owned RTR 180 in the past and apart from vibration issues, I have fond memories of that bike.

Last edited by RaghavEvoX : 1st December 2021 at 11:45. Reason: Added more opinions
RaghavEvoX is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2021, 22:01   #13
BHPian

I'd been to a TVS showroom today and had a chance to take a look at a new RTR200 that had been prepared for customer delivery.

I noticed a couple of the things that you mentioned. Ugly welds and unbuffed edges on plastics. I also noticed similar things on one of the 1604Vs. I didn't check to see if this was consistent across all RTRs there, but I'm inclined to think it is. I've not seen the older RTRs up close to say if this was always the case, but I'm guessing this must be a new development for TVS. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway, have you wondered how TVS is able to give you a nice looking, feature packed bike that leads the segment in almost everything for that price? AFAIK, post BS6, TVS has also not upped prices significantly without offering excellent improvements on the bike.

Ugly welds and unbuffed plastics seem to be one of the ways TVS cuts costs to be able to offer topdog specs for the price. The seat tear on yours is a bit unfortunate, but the rest of the complaints are hardly functional and mostly seem to be aesthetic issues based on your personal expectations. I mean, Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha are selling their lower specced bikes for a higher price, just that the superficial look and feel is probably nicer on them.

If it were me, I'd not mind taking a bit of crudeness in some places if it means I get a great functionality and riding experience for the price. But then, I'd also try out TVS warranty to see if I can get rid of the problem before deciding to live with it.

I also had a close look at the RR310 on display there, and the finishing on that is impeccable, just a very handsome bike. Just goes to say TVS is no stranger to carefully made products, if the price you're willing to pay is right.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 2nd December 2021 at 22:06.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed