Team-BHP > Motorbikes

View Poll Results: Your choice for Team-BHP 2-Wheeler of the Year, 2021?
TVS Jupiter 125 34 4.06%
TVS Raider 125 11 1.31%
Suzuki Avenis 2 0.24%
OLA S1 Pro 218 26.05%
Aprilia SXR 160 7 0.84%
Yamaha Aerox 155 232 27.72%
Bajaj Pulsar F250/N250 34 4.06%
Honda CB200X 15 1.79%
Yamaha R15 V4 27 3.23%
KTM RC 200 6 0.72%
Royal Enfield Classic 350 117 13.98%
Benelli 502C 2 0.24%
Kawasaki Z650RS 10 1.19%
Honda CB500X 15 1.79%
Triumph Trident 660 39 4.66%
BMW C400 GT 4 0.48%
Ducati Monster 2 0.24%
Aprilia Tuono / RS 660 5 0.60%
Suzuki Hayabusa 26 3.11%
Harley Davidson Pan America 1250 7 0.84%
BMW S1000R 6 0.72%
Ducati Multistrada V4 11 1.31%
Ducati Streetfighter V4 7 0.84%
Voters: 837. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 16:57   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Team-BHP 2-Wheeler of the Year, 2021. Edit: It's the Yamaha Aerox 155

Voted for the Yamaha Aerox. The manufacturer finally woke up and launched something which can disrupt the big scooter market. I am so badly wanting to test this scooter.

Ola would come close second if they had just launched on time. As of now we just have a lot of tweets and reviews but no real world experience.

The ambition of Ola is gigantic!

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 20:18   #47
BHPian

This is extremely extremely tough for me this year. I love as many as 7 two-wheelers in the list and like 5 in the list. But I voted for Jupiter125, I believe it is very practical scooter and meets the expectations of the consumer to the Tee. TVS seem to extensively focus on a regular man needs of a scooter and designed it with features like large floor board, large under seat storage, external front fuel cap, long seat etc etc. Manufacturers going this extra mile really impresses me.
Plymouth_Fury is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 01:07   #48
BHPian

Voted for Yamaha Aerox, although the Royal Enfield Classic deserve a honourable mention.

Kudos to Yamaha for getting it in our market
Sivacar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 01:20   #49
BHPian

Not a single OLA S1 pro delivered yet it's still 2nd on our poll. This is the hype OLA has created.
I have voted for the Yamaha Aerox, finally, they wake up from their slumber and brought something exciting. Hopefully, many more to follow from TVS and Honda!
7000plusrpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:09   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

This year, less than a handful of two wheelers stood out and so voting for the Team BHP 2 wheeler of the year for 2021 wasnt all that hard. A few thoughts on some that stood out

- TVS Raider 125 : A surprise launch and a commendable effort from TVS to infuse something different into a segment that feels unexciting. Im yet to see one on our roads.
- Ola S1 Pro : It is riding the hype train and missed several stop along the way. More talk than walk.
- Bajaj Pulsar 250 twins : Bajaj's strategy for the new Pulsars is aimed more at their shareholders than enthusiasts.
- Honda CB200X : A fellow TBHPian summed it up perfectly - lazy effort from Honda.
- Yamaha R15 V4 : A good upgrade to the R15 platform.

And now for my top 3 choices of the Team BHP 2 wheeler of the year

3. Royal Enfield Classic 350 : Improving on a bike with such a rock solid heritage is very difficult but Royal Enfield seems to have pulled it off very well.
2. Honda CB500X : If I had to buy just one two wheeler from this list and add it to my own garage, it would undoubtedly be the lovely Honda. Yes, it is terribly overpriced but purely as a product, it is almost perfect for Indian conditions. However, this isnt Neil's two wheeler of the year awards, and so my vote for the Team BHP 2 wheeler of the year is the ...
1. Yamaha Aerox 155 : This has to be Yamaha's most exciting launch since the original R15 was showcased in 2008 or so. The success of the Aerox should show other manufacturers that there is market for similar scooters and that can only bode well for us enthusiasts. Hopefully Yamaha doesnt go back into hibernation and will bring out more exciting two wheelers in 2022.
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 09:55   #51
BHPian

I find it funny that people are saying Ola is yet to deliver S1 Pro but how many Aerox scooters are delivered by Yamaha? I don't see any numbers in October delivery numbers. Even display vehicles are not yet available in major cities after 3 months since launch. The less said about the test rides the better. There are probably more Ola S1 scooters available for test rides than the number of Aerox scooters delivered to customers.

Name:  yamahaoct.PNG
Views: 266
Size:  147.0 KB

Hype for Ola scooter is mainly due to:
  • It's an EV.
  • Price
  • Very good range which is enough for the majority of customers.
  • India-wide availability.

The hype would have been the same or even more if any traditional company came up with a similar vehicle and features. Every EV in the market is seeing very good demand now despite higher prices and limited range and features.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 7th December 2021 at 09:57.
Old 7th December 2021, 10:27   #52
BANNED

Voted for Yamaha aerox 155. When Ola S1 Pro is yet to be delivered in the market but it still scores high in voting. The hype created by them in media is loud. I also do like Royal Enfield classic 350.
Somz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 10:27   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
I find it funny that people are saying Ola is yet to deliver S1 Pro but how many Aerox scooters are delivered by Yamaha? I don't see any numbers in October delivery numbers. Even display vehicles are not yet available in major cities after 3 months since launch. The less said about the test rides the better. There are probably more Ola S1 scooters available for test rides than the number of Aerox scooters delivered to customers.
sri_tesla, if we compare Yamaha and Ola,
1. Yamaha has provided media scooters for test rides and has completed deliveries across India. We have seen multiple owners share delivery updates on our forum whereas ...
2. Ola provided the media with scooters that didnt have many of the advertised features, the test scooters were plagued with issues, the company has pushed their delivery date several times and as of today, there have been a grand total of zero deliveries across India.

I agree that Yamaha doesnt have enough Aerox scooters on display today and that deliveries have been slow but trying to compare some deliveries to zero deliveries, doesnt really make a strong case for Ola.

P.S - maybe Ola could have reduced their pan India test ride fleet by 50 units and kept them aside for deliveries in November. For such a marketing savvy company to not do a namesake round of deliveries that would have got widespread media coverage, I wonder if Ola is still not confident in their final product and needs more time.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 10:36   #54
BANNED

Voted Ola S1 Pro.

The reason is simple.The product has come as a bolt from the blue to established players who have dragged their feet in EV adoption. Now everyone is scrambling. Weather Ola succeeds are not, they have definitely 'shocked' the industry into reacting and hastened the process by a good 3 to 5 years.
Old 7th December 2021, 11:22   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
1. Yamaha has provided media scooters for test rides and has completed deliveries across India. We have seen multiple owners share delivery updates on our forum whereas ...
2021 is still not over and Ola confirmed that deliveries will indeed start on Dec 15th. It's just that deliveries are not started by the time this poll went live.

Yamaha doesn't even have enough vehicles to provide all the major media outlets at the same time. It took over 2 months for them after the launch for such a big company and for a product that has been available internationally for many years. I feel people are judging one product based on its cons while the other by its pros. Anyway, it's just my observation that so many people are questioning even the inclusion of Ola S1 Pro in the list.

Just to clarify, I still love my Yamaha FZ that I bought a decade ago.

Last edited by sri_tesla : 7th December 2021 at 11:29.
Old 7th December 2021, 12:38   #56
Senior - BHPian

What is the criteria for this poll, is it based on customer deliveries? Is december month included? What happens OLA S1 deliveries are pushed to January, will the scooter be included in next year's poll too?

Why the comparison between established companies and a 2 year old startup, aren't the established players supposed to have OATS for breakfast, why the poll should also be biased based on criteria where the established players can win easily.

The OLA S1 deliveries are just late by few months, quite common in startup space, this is projected as if this is the biggest sin, already words like scam, vaporware, fraud are used liberally to describe OLA.
SKC-auto is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 16:35   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
What is the criteria for this poll, is it based on customer deliveries? Is december month included? What happens OLA S1 deliveries are pushed to January, will the scooter be included in next year's poll too?

Why the comparison between established companies and a 2 year old startup, aren't the established players supposed to have OATS for breakfast, why the poll should also be biased based on criteria where the established players can win easily.

The OLA S1 deliveries are just late by few months, quite common in startup space, this is projected as if this is the biggest sin, already words like scam, vaporware, fraud are used liberally to describe OLA.

People are treading cautiously and rightly so they should. I am a huge believer that electric vehicles are the future including mainstream electric cars but the OLA hype train is so strong that it has become scary.

OLA needs a strong infrastructure backbone to succeed. For a product that is going to start delivery in less than 10 days and be this revolutionary product, I haven't seen a single charging point for Ola anywhere in my city and I live in Mumbai. Neither has any society that I know of installed charging stations inside its premises. Without this how am I even supposed to charge it? I wished these infrastructure points were taken care of before the big launch but then I also understand that it's a chicken and egg situation where the infrastructure won't develop till mass adopted products exits in the market. Unfortunately they means the first few years the users will be testers for the product before the infra is strong enough to make it mainstream.
Old 7th December 2021, 18:17   #58
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
I haven't seen a single charging point for Ola anywhere in my city and I live in Mumbai.
This is not just Ola's problem. All EV's without removable batteries have the same limitation of charging.

Even if removable batteries are provided, it will be done so only in scooters AFAIK. E-cars are still dependent on dedicated charging points.

Initial adopters will drive the change. This will take time. And some collective response will be needed to have a transition to EV ownership in the near future.
Mafia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2021, 18:52   #59
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Jupiter 125.

Mainly because it delivers on 2 counts :
1. It solves the problem of storing 2 helmets, even half face units. Scooter riders like me cannot thank them enough for this, always a pain to carry a helmet around with a pillion, bumping and scratching in the markets.

2. Adds a convenience feature of the front apron fuel filler cap. No need to either open the seat or even get down. The footboard located fuel tank to achieve the same is an appreciable move by TVS.

Not to forget that this will probably impact the highest number of riders

While most of my recent riding has been on the Access125 in busy city streets which make me appreciate the value of the features on the Jupiter 125 more than others but I don't think any other in the list offers a solution to a problem.

That being said of the others worth mentioning are :
- Trident 660 and the 650RS for being sensibly priced.
- Ola S1 Pro looks promising but too early to vote on it, maybe next year once significant number of units have been delivered.
- Yamaha Aerox, highly rated by fellow BHPians and I don't see a point to disagree.
- Classic 350, finally the engine it always deserved. This should rake in good numbers.

Last edited by shancz : 7th December 2021 at 18:53. Reason: mobile typos
Old 7th December 2021, 19:06   #60
BHPian

I was confused between the Pulsars and Classic 350 as both had a legacy to carry forward. Then I realized RE silently had the Meteor with the J1 platform for more than a year now! Pulsar 250 got my vote for affordable performance or performance for the masses. Many might argue where is the performance? This is no NS based on the Duke. Performance with respect to a commuter bike. A majority of Pulsar owners in Pune, was an enthusiastic commuter!
Bajaj themselves have admitted that the Pulsars are 3 years late to the party, but better late than never.

I would give it to Bajaj for the 250F.

I was surprised to see the poll results, two scooters in the top two? And one of them EV. Man, I'm getting old!

We are redlining the scene in a different way, 'redlining the battery'
Name:  low_batt.png
Views: 262
Size:  34.8 KB

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz

Most Viewed