Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2021, 14:15   #16
BHPian

Re: Want to replace my R15 v3 to a more comfortable motorcycle

As an fellow R15v3 owner, i completely understand your point and your pain, i will still strongly recommend the MT15 as there is hardly any bike (along with the r15) around this price range that has this all around characteristics of being utterly reliable and fuss free, more than enjoyable performance for Indian conditions both City and highway, outstanding fuel economy despite a free revving engine (no matter whichever upgrade you consider this especially will take a huge hit) and smashing good looks, handling, street cred.

Regarding the service interval thing, well my bike has run just 3500 Kms in around 2.8 years and have had 3 oil change services, i did not follow their routine at all as there was no need and the warranty anyways is just 2 years so i took my chances.

If you however want to stick to their interval, the service costs are dirt cheap and if like me your running is low you can opt out of engine oil and chain cleaning/lube and your bill will be practically peanuts.

Regarding the sprocket thing, once again, it only costs around 800-1000 bucks and you can switch to R15 sprocket if you prefer its gearing, although the difference is not night and day from what i have heard, same goes for the BS6 performance hit, mine is BS4 too.

Also the FZ25 feels even more commuterish and old school than FZS 16 let alone MT and especially the R15, no offence to anyone.

Last edited by Rocketscience : 14th December 2021 at 14:17.
Rocketscience is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:26   #17

Re: Road Rage - Understanding, Avoidance and De-escalating Situation

Hello shravansp24!

That's a very beautiful place to be in - searching for a new motorcycle. But considering the immense options available to the Indian consumer, the task of shortlisting one motorcycle can quickly get on your nerves.

Your engagement with the two wheeled machines has been quite interesting: R15 v2 > Duke 200 > R15 v3. While you have jumped between machines of almost similar power output albeit different state of tune, I also observe that you have retained the machines for a rather short period of time (2-3 years). That's a lot of loss in term of depreciated cost.

Considering your preferences and inclination, I would like to make the following three suggestions (not in any particular order):
1. KTM 390 ADV: While I understand it is beyond your mentioned budget, the 390 ADV most definitely sounds like the machine you need. Rev-friendly engine, upright seating position and an engine that has the capacity to cruise all day long. KTM's product and service quality has improved significantly over the years and it would not be wise to skip this machine only because of a poor past experience. Also, the machine will be an upgrade in a true sense with significantly higher power output. Can be a worthy investment in the long run.
2. RE Himalayan: What you get with this bike is an upright sitting position, lean body that is easy to maneuver around the city and a very capable highway cruiser. The machine has recently received an update and RE has made it more refined than ever. Do not make a decision without test riding this one.
3. Dominar 400: Bajaj really threw the ball out of the park with this one. Effortless cruising, comfortable riding position, affordable after sales services and a reasonable price tag makes it a very tempting product. In case you are worried about Bajaj's long term reliability, let me share my experience with you - I have owned a Pulsar 200 NS (2017) for about 5 years and have not faced any major issues with the bike. Yes, I did take good care of it in terms of routine service (which was pretty inexpensive, I must say) and the machine never disappointed me. I'm sure Bajaj has taken many strides in the right direction to enhance quality and reliability over the years.

Amongst the other products you listed:
TVS Apache RR310: The vibrations have been ironed out with the latest update along with many minor niggles. The riding stance, however, continues to remain aggressive and is inline with the overall positioning of the bike as a sports tourer.
KTM 250 ADV: This is a potent machine, without doubt. But I feel you might outgrow it pretty quickly and might be soon on the lookout for an upgrade. That is not to say the bike is lacking in any aspect, it just feels slightly underwhelming to me.

I do not have much information on the other products so I'll refrain from making any further comments.

At the end, I would close it with an opinion I have often seen Shumi (from Powerdrift) openly expressing: Only you should chose the motorcycle you ride. No one else can/should do it for you. And always ride the motorcycle before you make a decision about it.

Hope this helps!

Happy riding :-)

PS: Looking at the pre-owned market can open a lot of amazing options for you, but that's a different topic altogether.
BloodyRaven is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 17:18   #18
BHPian

Go with Honda Highness 350, much smoother engine, upright posture and able cruising abilities with dependability of Honda.
Rshrey22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:38   #19
BHPian

You are spoilt with a quality offering from Yamaha. You will be disappointed if that's compromised in anyway.

You have 2 very good options in your list and that's the CB300R and the Gixxer 250. CB300R might play a spoiler when it comes to pricing considering your requirements but it will be a keeper, if it matches. Gixxer 250, take a test ride and you will love the bike if you prefer a smooth and composed engine. It's a very under-rated bike in India and hence resale values are not very promising. MT-15 is a looker and offers the quality promise of Yamaha while being a fun bike but after riding the R15 for so long, moving to MT-15, you might start the itch for a replacement soon. Both are of very similar composures in many ways.

My pick would be the CB300R.
abhisheksircar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 19:28   #20
BHPian

I think with a ₹3L budget you have a lot of room for a great condition second hand bike.
You could buy a Ninja 300 with less than 5k on the odo for around ₹2.5L. spend the rest on good riding gear and you're set. It has ABS, a slipper clutch, and spares are not that expensive unless you crach (in which case insurance should cover you).
Think about it seriously. I mean you could even try getting an ER-6n, although it wouldn't have ABS. But maintenance is practically zero on these bikes.
ads295 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 19:51   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravansp24 View Post
My requirements :

A motorcycle that costs within 3 lakhs OTR having upright riding stance, short stroke motor, engine that can comfortably cruise at 100-120kmph preferably under 6.5k RPM
Why haven't you considered the RE Himalayan?

OTR < 3 lac - Check
Upright riding stance - No other motorcycle gets more upright than the Himalayan
Short stroke motor - maybe not
Can comfortably cruise at 100 kmph under 6.5k rpm

I've been owning one for the past 3 years and have been nothing but happy! Just got back from a 1000 km round trip to the Nilgiris - the motorcycle performed spectacularly!
Attached Thumbnails
Want to replace my R15 v3 to a more comfortable motorcycle-psx_20210912_103457.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 20:19   #22
BHPian

Go for the Adv 250 if you want to munch miles on bad roads. It’s a brilliant machine, a hoot to drive for what it offers. Has enough low end grunt to paint a bigger smile on your face than its 390 sibling. Properly flickable too, this coming from a lightweight 150cc sports-tourer owner that is me. Unlimited mod potential also!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 21:23   #23
BHPian

I would strongly suggest the Dominar 400. I have a friend who has been riding it for a long time now and the bike has been bulletproof till now. He tours on it, takes it off-road along with Xpulses and hasn't faced any issues till now. Also he was riding an RC200 before he upgraded to the Dominar for comfort. He's very happy with it.

I think it's a proper upgrade in terms of performance and comfort. It also satisfies all your queries.
DIV17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 22:09   #24
BHPian

The Yamaha FZ 25 is a superb all round package. It packs in stellar real world performance inspite of not so great on paper power and torque ratings. The low end and midrange punch is the highlight of this streetfighter motorcycle, it can keep up with more powerful machines with ease in our day to day riding scenarios. The ride & handling balance also deserves a mention here. It is neither too stiff nor too soggy at the corners just like what the Doctor ordered. It's a great motorcycle inspite of missing out on gimmicky features like it's competition. If someone is looking for a motorcycle that is as solid as a rock then FZ25 is certainly worth a look in my honest opinion.
Phantom 510 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 23:13   #25
BHPian

Thank you all for the responses and suggestions you have given which were all exactly what I wanted to know and I apologize for not responding more quickly.

However, I took a test ride of the duke 250 and Adv 390 (to get a feel of the 250s engine and Adv's ride quality), the Dominar 400, FZ-25, MT-15 in the past 2 days and looks like I am going for the KTM Adv 250!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Go for the Adv 250 if you want to munch miles on bad roads. It’s a brilliant machine, a hoot to drive for what it offers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post

Why not consider the Duke 250?

costs <3 lakhs OTR and is having upright riding stance, short stroke motor and an engine that can comfortably cruise at 100-120kmph under 6.5k RPM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
I think you should go with the CB300R or the KTM/Husqvarna/Bajaj 250 lineup (Would prefer the KTM out of these 3, but all these 3 have different ergonomics and design too).
Very true! the KTM's 250cc engine felt like it's made just for me. Felt calm with a mild twist of the throttle and felt good torque with a hard throttle(duke 200 vibes), the seat, footpeg and the handlebar positioning felt very comfortable and the build is very good (overall felt the money's worth over Gixxer and FZ-25), hence the decision is made - enough power to cruise on the highways with a comfortable posture and a spirited engine. Regarding the little reliability that nit-picked me, KTM is offering me a 75,000km/5 year warranty for free as year end offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
FZ-25 is more or like in a commuter territory. This is based on my experience with my bro's FZ-25 which had clocked 20K+ KMS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
I would say that you should have an upgrade over the R15. The FZ25 is a nice bike, but ergonomics aside, the R15 you have will wash it off completely
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo_narender View Post
Hi,

I own a FZ25 ABS BS4 from Mar 2019. And I am bored of it already in 11k km on the Odo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketscience View Post
Also the FZ25 feels even more commuterish and old school than FZS 16 let alone MT and especially the R15, no offence to anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama Naveen View Post
FZ25 ------ Any given day.
Been riding the bike for a year and I love it.

Yes it can comfortably cruise at 100/hr and things I love on this bike are :-
1) Torque
2) Suspension
3) Mileage
4) Style

The bike keeps you happy in City

FZ25 is value for money as opposed to Gixxer or ktm as its pocket friendly in terms of maintenance too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom 510 View Post
The Yamaha FZ 25 is a superb all round package. It packs in stellar real world performance inspite of not so great on paper power and torque ratings. The low end and midrange punch is the highlight of this streetfighter motorcycle
Couldn't agree more! After taking a ride, the bike had excellent rideability in the city and was comfy at 90kmph but engine lacks the entertainment and is more of a sedated chill motorcycle. No offence to FZ owners, but I would have loved if the engine was more exciting. Also, the the motorcycle felt like it is build to a cost compared to KTM (like my R15 with flimsy plastics and rusting exhaust bend pipe). So, had to drop this one in favour of the ADV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Why haven't you considered the RE Himalayan?
The waiting period is in months, but I need the motorcycle asap for my daily needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Go with Honda Highness 350, much smoother engine, upright posture and able cruising abilities with dependability of Honda.
Sorry, I'm not into very long-strokes and cruisers. Was looking more like a street/adv/sports touring motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads295 View Post
I think with a ₹3L budget you have a lot of room for a great condition second hand bike.
You could buy a Ninja 300 with less than 5k on the odo for around ₹2.5L. spend the rest on good riding gear and you're set. It has ABS, a slipper clutch, and spares are not that expensive unless you crach (in which case insurance should cover you).
Think about it seriously. I mean you could even try getting an ER-6n, although it wouldn't have ABS. But maintenance is practically zero on these bikes.
Ninja was my dream once upon a time and more so after localization. But right now, after the break-up with Bajaj/KTM svc and with only 1 SVC in my city and that too 1.5 hours from my house is keeping me away from the beautiful motorcycle. I prefer to give my motorcycles in official SVCs
Regarding second hand motorcyles, finding the perfect one is very difficult atleast for me and due to recent inflations, I don't see much of a difference between a 0-1.5 year old and a new motorcycle (skimmed through OLX while I was selling my own)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhisheksircar View Post
You are spoilt with a quality offering from Yamaha. You will be disappointed if that's compromised in anyway.
True! The main reason for me considering the FZ-25. Though the plastics were flimsy and the specs were not flashy as the KTMs, once you sit and ride, the difference is immediately noted. A well optimized machine and absolutely no cost cutting in the clutch, gearbox engine. If only Yamaha had a 250cc engine bored out of a R15 or a R3/25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
If it's urgent check the Dominor. Very potent 390 engine in a comfortable package. It looks stunning, specially the green color and the engine is all but the ktm 390. The bike can tour and is very comfortable as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil00090 View Post
I have been riding Dominar 400 since more than three years and one thing I truly appreciate about the bike is that it has never failed me on long rides or short rides. Every part works as expected no fault nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIV17 View Post
I would strongly suggest the Dominar 400
Dominar was very comfortable and the engine too felt sweet (i thought it would be like a duke 390 but I was wrong). But, considering the adv is just 10k costlier with a much better build and suited my needs and wants, I'm inclining towards the KTM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post

If I were you I would either pick the Duke 390 or Interceptor 650. Both are fun to ride and are great mole munchers.
Unfortunately, both were over my over stretched budget, especially the interceptor. If only it was within my budget, I would've taken a test drive even though it has a longer stroke engine and also tried to change the tyres to tubeless with appropriate rims and the necessary mods. All these mods along with the otr will take the budget to close to a 4l if not higher

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
That said I maintain a good relationship with the guy that services my bike and I recommend that you do that too. As of my understanding, the second generation of KTM products in India have taken a leap forward in this regard (owner not having to be too proactive on maintainence). Why not try out the RC200? The new one also has raised handlebars and a less aggressive stance. Not to mention loads of other cool new stuff like better brakes, lighter rotating mass etc. and also looks pretty cool in person
I do have happy notes with the KTM svcs during my previous ownership. I did sit on the new RC200 and even though the looks in pictures were polarizing, the bike in person is superb. Though not as committed as the R15, it's unfortunately still a sporty stance

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Have a look a the 250 pulsars too. I checked out the F250. The reach to the handlebar on that is a bit much for comfort. The seat seemed nice though. Haven't checked the N yet.

Another touring-worthy option is the Mahindra Mojo. Short stroke, high quality build, huge tank capacity, great seat. Minus points for weight.

If Honda manages to keep weight and price in the same range as the BS4 CB300R, this is THE bike to beat. But you'd likely have to get atleast the hard and angled seat worked on for it to be any sort of comfortable for long rides.

My personal pick of the lot is the Gixxer despite its shortcomings. From waht I've seen, heard and experienced, Suzukis are usually hardy construction and can tolerate a good amount of beating and weathering. There's signs of cost cutting here and there, but overall, it's very well built, and would likely last a long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
T

But then again the Gixxer 250 fits your requirement to the T courtesy it's tractable power band, you have the FZ25's low end and the CBR250R's top end, not exactly the same but you get the picture.

I've not been able to ride the Pulsar 250 yet but if it is anything similar to the Gixxer 250 in terms of how it puts out power and torque then it's a no brainer.

Also, number of gears are irrelevant, do read up on how gearing works. I'd gone into detail about it a few times on this forum hence not repeating myself.

Never knew Mojo is still on sale and never thought about the new pulsars. But now that I have decided my ride, I'm not sure if I want to go back and have a look again. Btw I assume the new pulsars to have a similar character as the old p220 or a bit more spirited than the fz25.

Gixxer suited my needs perfectly but the after sales is very skeptical

Agreed on the number of gears. As i prefer short stoke motors which usually have a lot of power but lack the torque, I wanted one with 6th gear that can compensate the lack of torque

Wished to wait for CB300R but cannot wait as my R15 is sold right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodyRaven View Post

Your engagement with the two wheeled machines has been quite interesting: R15 v2 > Duke 200 > R15 v3. While you have jumped between machines of almost similar power output albeit different state of tune, I also observe that you have retained the machines for a rather short period of time

At the end, I would close it with an opinion I have often seen Shumi (from Powerdrift) openly expressing: Only you should chose the motorcycle you ride. No one else can/should do it for you. And always ride the motorcycle before you make a decision about it.

Hope this helps!

Happy riding :-)
Thank you..! Btw, I never owned a R15 v2 but wished for it (hence bought the v3). Reason for getting a motorcycle of the same class was because of my heart always wanting a R15 and at the same time, the duke faced frequent visits to the svc. And during my test ride, though the torque felt lacking especially with a pillion, the motorcycle was very rev friendly, smooth and power felt convincingly enough

Completely agreed on your last part!

Again, thank you all for your experiences and recommendations which made me choose my next ride. Wish you all a happy and safe riding!

Last edited by shravansp24 : 14th December 2021 at 23:40.
shravansp24 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 00:00   #26
BHPian

Glad you’re going for the KTM! Please do a detailed ownership log soon. Good luck, ride hard, ride safe!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 08:43   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

shravansp24, is the KTM Adv 250 still available? Are the dealerships taking bookings? I was told that the bike is no longer on sale in India.
Old 15th December 2021, 21:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Glad you’re going for the KTM! Please do a detailed ownership log soon. Good luck, ride hard, ride safe!
Thank you..! sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
shravansp24, is the KTM Adv 250 still available? Are the dealerships taking bookings? I was told that the bike is no longer on sale in India.
Yes, the motorcycle is still available and is on sale. I booked one today and got a quotation earlier

Want to replace my R15 v3 to a more comfortable motorcycle-img_20211215_211534.jpg
shravansp24 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 07:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the motorcycle is still available and is on sale. I booked one today and got a quotation earlier

Attachment 2245650
Many many congratulations ! I have been thinking of replacing my Pulsar 200NS and it's been a long journey. Considered Aerox for a period of time and now decided it's better to go back to KTM - Svartpilan 250 (for now). Thanks for booking image, didn't realise there was a showroom in OMR.
Astonite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 09:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you..! sure

Attachment 2245650
Also please do test ride the Interceptor 650, I know riders abroad who have access to the fastest of hypernaked and superbikes yet swear by the Interceptor/GT650's as fun machines to ride and 99% of the RE 650 owners I've met are pretty happy with their machines as well.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks