Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2022, 17:16   #61
BHPian

Re: The advent of EVs and the fall of petrol motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
But after the truck arrived we still couldn't get fuel on the 3rd day because- guess what? There was no electricity in the town to pump the gas from the underground tanks

So , on that trip, may be one would have been better off with an ev where we could have charged the bike overnight and said goodbye to my mates on ice bikes?
No offence to you brother. But, I am a bit lost. In this scenario, there happens to be no electricity to run the pumps at the fuel station. How would the EV batteries be re-charged. Unless there was electricity on the first two days.

Sorry, this discussion is clearly diverging from the topic. We are all missing the forest for the trees. Or may the topic is more about the trees when we ought to look for the forest.

Anyways, the EV is here and it is going to stay. But is the petrol motorcycle on its fall, maybe, or maybe not? It is too early to conclude this outcome.

Last edited by Magnaspectre : 8th January 2022 at 17:17. Reason: grammar
Old 8th January 2022, 23:28   #62
Senior - BHPian

I am from the era when theory was taught in the classroom, not online via Udemy. Practical was in the workshop with "touch-and-feel", not vicarious YouTube Live. Our answer sheets were flung across in disdain by stoic professors, instead of scanned lifelessly by optical readers.

The advent of EVs and the fall of petrol motorcycles-fb_img_1552311164020_2.jpg

Sorry for digression, but, according to me half of motorcycle(ing), is on the road while better half is spent off the road, in the garage, on a Sunday afternoon with DIY joys.

The advent of EVs and the fall of petrol motorcycles-img_20201017_131831.jpg
The advent of EVs and the fall of petrol motorcycles-img_20200830_134827.jpg

We like to ride free and stop in the jungle to enjoy the nature and click pictures of the shining machines with chrome missiles, not pace the journey and arrive at the next charging station before sunset or haggle for swapping batteries with vendors.

The advent of EVs and the fall of petrol motorcycles-img_20201117_090723.jpg

I can even trust a roadside mechanic on the remotest corner to adapt his ancient tools without worrying about IEC Ingress Protection (IP) standards.

The advent of EVs and the fall of petrol motorcycles-img_20201120_113000_1.jpg

Electric motorcycles, sadly, are very boring having none of the elements that excites me. I can't open it up and check the valve or tune the carb or adjust the clutch play. Sorry, no EV motorcycles for me, not until my limbs are able and can hold a wrench and pull the clutch .

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 8th January 2022 at 23:47.
bj96 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 23:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
The reason many of us have been bikers for life has something to do with getting away from popular routes. Or enduring popular routes to get to unheard of routes.

I'm not denying what you are saying or anyone else about the time it takes to charge a car or bike for another 300 to 500 km of running, but tell me, with the best Quick Charge technology for mobile phones, it takes about 30 minutes for a 4000-5000 mAh mobile battery to charge to around 75%.

How does it take a minute or two (the amount of time I need to unzip my fly and and relieve my bladder) to charge the humungous battery of a one ton plus car? To go another 300+ km?

Surely there is some artistic license being employed here for debate impact. Or maybe this technology needs to make it to our mobile phones too.

India is a big country. A continent. We are closing on or past 1.4 billion now.

What happens if I have my fly undone and there are 50 other guys in front of me also holding their ... flies?

Cheers, Doc
Maybe nature break wasn't the right expression. When I have driven for 3 - 4 hours, I usually take a stop to relieve myself, eat something and maybe a short bit of stretching and enjoying all of these as part of driving. I can imagine all of this taking 40 minutes. Most EVs that can fast charge can do so from 0 - 80 % SoC in that amount of time.

There might be people who can do all that in two minutes or people who only need to do one of them in every 3 hour of driving. I just don't know of any.
sreeharipv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 23:49   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
numbers are just examples there is nothing sacrosanct about 20 or 40 km. All I am saying is, range cannot be planned precisely day in and day out. This is no emergency situation. This is bound to happen only because of the vehicle type.
This is just whataboutery. There is no need to plan precisely is what I was meaning to say. Are you able to precisely plan an oil change?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks