Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 21:25   #91
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

A short review of the Scrambler and the Adventure from a Himalayan BS4 owner

So I found my way today morning to the Jawa-Yezdi dealership because I was quite interested in the Scrambler. To be really honest, I was not looking at making another motorcycle purchase as my D390 and the Himalayan are not racking up a lot of kilometeres due to COVID. However, as I have mentioned in some other threads - I always had a fascination for the Ducati Scrambler as well as the Triumph Scrambler and if there was a new Scrambler on the Horizon at 1/4th of the cost of the other two scramblers, I was definitely going to take a long hard look at it.

Not too many people at the dealership and the few folks who were there were test riding a Jawa 42 which I found really strange but it left the Scrambler and the Adventure up for grabs. The SA told me that the Roadster hasn't been delivered to them yet but they are expecting it to land up in the next 3-4 days. No big loss - as that was one motorcycle I wasn't planning to ride anyway

First up the Scrambler; the SA was quite pleasant and wanted to know if I knew the specifications of the motorcycle. So I told him that I had had a cursory glance but nothing very specific. He proceeded to give me a detailed explanation of the specifications and the tell-tale lights on the dashboard. I happened to mention to him that I had a Himalayan to which he insisted that I also test ride the Adventure (even though I told him I had no plans of buying it)

I ended up taking 2 test rides of the Scrambler and 1 of the Adventure

Scrambler:

Positives of the Scrambler:

Refined Engine
- no vibrations at Idle which was surprising considering it is a Single.

The Idling - The Idle / zero throttle sound was absolutely musical. A bit like the Triumph
T100 with the high compression "whoosh" that you get. I cannot find any other words to describe it

Acceleration
- Manic acceleration in 3rd gear- right from a low 30 to an effortless 80 (the traffic came up which prevented me from going higher)

Throttle Response - Not Abrupt like my KTM but not lazy like my RE either. Somewhere in between; nearer to the KTM than the RE

Tyre Grip
: Fantastic Grip from the fat 140 section at the rears. I never felt that they were out of grip (even on skittish surfaces where the Roads were being constructed - I
made it a point to go to these places)

Engine Braking
: Fantastic. No complaints

Brakes:
Again Fantastic. As good as the Interceptor (and I rate them very highly)

Torque: Ample torque in the mid-range to power your way out of slush / mud as long as long as you have momentum. I wasnt able check the low-end torque to be able to comprehensively comment on it.

Negatives of the Scrambler:

Stiff Suspension
: Now I dont really have a problem with this to be honest. But the way I was looking at this was; I was expecting the Scramber (which is a on-off road motorcycle) to have a more comfortable / supple suspension than the Roadster (which I didnt get to ride) but not as comfortable / supple as the Adventure (which I did get to ride - will review that later in the post). However, I found the suspension to be as stiff as my road-touring D390 which surprised me. I was definitely not expecting such stiffness where I could feel the edge of the small potholes / imperfections in the road as I was climbing out of them or the residual surface at the bottom of these small potholes / imperfections as I climbed into them. I would have gladly taken up a slightly more comfortable suspension for any loss in cornering abilities / the ability of the motorcycle to hold a tight line in a flowing corner.

Not many other negatives to be honest. I did end up battling with a lot of wind on my chest but thats to be expected with a Naked. If I do end up buying one, I'll fix an aftermarket windscreen on it like I did on my Duke.

I'll also pen down my notes on the Adventure and its comparision with a Himalayan. I have just completed a 2000 kilometre Hyderabad-Gokarna-Goa trip 10 days ago so my muscle memory for comparision is fresh

Positives of the Adventure as compared to the Himalayan

Freeer Revving Engine
: The Yezdi pulled cleanly in the 1st through 4th gears. Better Acceleration as compared to the Himalayan. The gearing had more range in them. So if you could do 45 in 3rd on a Himalayan (for example) - you could do 50 in 3rd on an Adventure before the engine wanted you to shift up. Two quick wins: Not only was the "speed of acceleration" faster - but the range of speed in between the gears was also higher.

Brakes: You must all have read how much I despise the brakes on the Himalayan. So much so that while touring on the KTM, I aim to stop hitting an obstacle. However, with the Himalayan, I just aim to avoid it as the brakes simply do not have the stopping power to bring the motorcycle to a halt from speeds of 85 and above (alternatively - you could say that I've been spoiled by the KTM but I swear that even my 2011 Electra stopped better than the Himalayan). The brakes on the Adventure are fantastic and about 2.50 times better than a Himalayan. Yes - they are not as good as the Scrambler (but thats only because the tyres on the Scrambler are more Highway oriented while the Adventure tyres are more off-road oriented so the absence of friction when compared to the surface area shows up the flaws of the Adventure when braking on roads). However, I was very impressed with the braking of the Adventure. If you ask me to choose today, I'd buy the Yezdi over the Himalayan any day. But since I already have the Himalayan and know now how to dance with the devil (the brakes), I am not looking to change it.

Suspension:
I found it to be at par with the Himalayan (which I rate very highly). Again; most of the test ride apart from the 500 metres where the road was being constructed was on a proper road - so you could say I didnt get a chance to evaluate it in its real environment. But I think it should be just like the Himalayan; neither better nor worse.

Negatives of the Adventure

Low end Torque:
I found the low end torque at the absolute bottom of the rev range in 1st and 2nd gear to be lower than that of the Himalayan. While my Himalayan (and also my Electra) would just chug their way out of any mud / slush / steep inclines just as I let the clutch go, the Adventure needed a dab of the throttle. No big deal but just wanted to call it out.

I found the Adventure to be solidly built and it looks like it can take a beating but only time (and social media) will tell.

I may end up buying the Scrambler but lets see - will decide in a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-20220116_150935.jpg  

Last edited by rahul4321 : 16th January 2022 at 21:51.
rahul4321 is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 21:43   #92
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
I don't like the instrument cluster on the Adventure. It looks after-market.
Someone needed to say this! Found it ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

Maybe ... just maybe ... it's not the bikes that are not rideable.

Maybe it's the riders who need to learn how to ride?

Just a thought.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Proper thoughts Doc
Some may agree (old school riders) with what I have written/said, others may not. Like with the above whatever floats your boat is what you should be looking at because riding should only be about pure pleasure and the feel with being one with your ride. Nothing else matters
Cheers
Cant agree more with Doc and Cyborg. These days I see so many people getting confused as hell and asking for recommendations for the perfect buy. I mean it's your money, go out there, test ride the damn motorcycle and bring the one home which gives you happiness and fun! Period. RPMs, torque curves, low end/high end power - we didn't think so much when we learnt to ride way back in the 90s. It was just for fun and unspeakable speeds.

Last edited by meetarin : 16th January 2022 at 21:43. Reason: typo
meetarin is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 22:52   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
A short review of the Scrambler and the Adventure from a Himalayan BS4 owner
Thanks for sharing your experience on the Scrambler and Adventure, rahul4321. Like most other forum members, I too am very intrigued by the delicious looking Scrambler. Unfortunately, the new Yezdi bikes are still a few days away from arriving in the Cochin showroom.

What is your take on the fit and finish levels? Does it look comparable to its similarly priced competition?

I think the main question now is whether Mahindra can deliver these bikes with class matching / leading fit and finish, as well as quality and reliability. With the BSA Goldstar prototypes, they showed that they can up their game. I hope that this extends into the exciting new Yezdi range as well.

Quote:
However, as I have mentioned in some other threads - I always had a fascination for the Ducati Scrambler as well as the Triumph Scrambler and if there was a new Scrambler on the Horizon at 1/4th of the cost of the other two scramblers, I was definitely going to take a long hard look at it.
Amen.

P.S - This is only to be taken in a lighter vein, Team BHP riders do not promote unsafe riding practices like wheelies!

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-12.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 23:29   #94
BHPian

While the Scrambler and the Adventure look like they belong to the Yezdi stable, the Roadster is a poor stablemate, IMHO. Not only does it look a bit like an overgrown Avenger, but the features don't match the Yezdi timeline.

AFAIK all Yezdis came with the finned engine side covers, and the early ones came with the lower case "yezdi" lettering (which could be flipped upside down to read "ipzah" It wasn't until much later on that the full caps YEZDI badging was launched, and by that time they had switched to the later design for the side body covers as well. So, the Roadster with the mix of the full caps YEZDI badge, jawa engine side covers is a huge mismatch, especially considering all three share the same engine, and they already have the finned side casings and the period correct badges in production. It feels like a stopgap bike.

I love the Scrambler and the Adventure designs. I wish they had come up with a modern Roadking instead of the Roadster, with proper twin pod cluster, big round headlamp and chunky rubber front and rear.

The cluster on the Adv looks like they had planned to offer a full LCD display, but were forced to use the same screen as the other two models due to SC supply issues or something. It does seem like you can swap it out with a full display down the line as an upgrade, as the frame's already there. Likewise, the asymmetric pod on the other two seems like they have left a placeholder to add satnav function later on. Hopefully they will also be offering these as aftermarket upgrades so as to accomodate the early buyers.

Last edited by vivekgk : 16th January 2022 at 23:37. Reason: Needed to add a bit more
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 23:37   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Stiff Suspension: Now I dont really have a problem with this to be honest. But the way I was looking at this was; I was expecting the Scramber (which is a on-off road motorcycle) to have a more comfortable / supple suspension than the Roadster (which I didnt get to ride) but not as comfortable / supple as the Adventure (which I did get to ride - will review that later in the post). However, I found the suspension to be as stiff as my road-touring D390 which surprised me. I was definitely not expecting such stiffness where I could feel the edge of the small potholes / imperfections in the road as I was climbing out of them or the residual surface at the bottom of these small potholes / imperfections as I climbed into them
Thank you Rahul for the insights.

I guess you couldn’t get a chance to check tyre pressure on the bike you rode. Any idea about the recommended tyre pressure front and rear for the Scrambler? Mostly showrooms don’t bother about tyre pressure at all and generally overfill them. Maybe excess tyre pressure could be the culprit for the stiff, maybe bouncy ride.

Since you are interested in a purchase you will probably take another couple of test rides to make up your mind. Please check with the sales advisor and try to ride it with the company recommended pressure (if overfilled) and see if there is difference. Kindly update the thread as well with your observation.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 23:50   #96
BHPian

Quote:
For some people speed is everything. Or almost everything. That's why they ride bikes. I'm one of them.
Frankly, I think you're missing out on a lot of what motorbiking is about if it's only the speed that matters. Sure, the rush you get with high speeds on a bike is something else.

Quote:
I don't even know what rideability (drivability) means to be honest. Every bike is rideable with the right right wrist on the throttle.
Boss, you just about defined what ride/drive-ability is with the second sentence. Like you said, it's about being able to adjust your speed, or overtake with the "right right wrist on the throttle", rather than having to do the clutch-declutch-shift-downshift dance every time. A nicely mapped and tuned engine makes every trip a delight rather than a chore, be it a Leh ride, or a grocery run.
vivekgk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th January 2022, 23:59   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
Frankly, I think you're missing out on a lot of what motorbiking is about if it's only the speed that matters.
Ya but I think it's too late to change now. You know how set in their ways old people get.

Everything is peripheral to a fast bike.

This old man does not want to dance on the twisties on a slow bike.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 00:34   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarkit View Post
Why does the bike have two exhausts? Does it provide any functional value or are they just going for nostalgia?
It wouldn't be a Yezdi or a Jawa without the twin exhausts, friend. Whatever volumetric efficiency gains that the additional exhaust offers will be likely offset by the extra weight of the additional silencer. Also, the Mahindra Mojo 300 on which the Jawa/Yezdi engines are based, had twin exhaust setup from the get-go.

Quote:
This old man does not want to dance on the twisties on a slow bike.

Cheers, Doc
You sound like Jezza from Top Gear... Respect..

Last edited by vivekgk : 17th January 2022 at 00:38.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 05:19   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Isn't that the case even with RE? Bullets were known for the "Thump" which has slowly faded into the oblivion as the engines evolved CI->UCE->J Series. For Jawa/Yezdi, it's a radical shift, considering they had to move from 2 stroke to 4 stroke.
But for those who love the feel of the ride and the unmistakable thump of these bikes, a jawa 42 2.1 with db killer out and yezdis make more sound than a royal Enfield now.
Old 17th January 2022, 08:20   #100
BHPian

Quote:

Top speed is underwhelming for a 30 bhp bike.

Must be the weight.
Not really! 29 bhp/190 kgs, at 150 bhp/tonne, no wind protection, 130 kph is decent. Typical speed of all RE singles.
I guess RE is working on a 40+bhp, liquid cooled Himalyan. That may provide the speed you are looking for, if not the 650 twins.
Old 17th January 2022, 09:13   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Not really! 29 bhp/190 kgs, at 150 bhp/tonne, no wind protection, 130 kph is decent. Typical speed of all RE singles.
I guess RE is working on a 40+bhp, liquid cooled Himalyan. That may provide the speed you are looking for, if not the 650 twins.
A Bullet 500 one and a half decades ago with less than 25 bhp and as heavy, used to do 125.

Motorcycles have moved a long way in the last 15-20 years.

And this is a modern engine.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th January 2022 at 09:16.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 10:18   #102
BHPian

Quote:
The original Yezdi as I recall also had a 1-imto-2 exhaust configuration.
The jawas and the yezdi B/D 250’s had twin exhaust ports and 2 exhaust pipes which were functional. The Roadking engine was based on a CZ motocross motor which had one large central exhaust port but yezdi retained the twin exhaust pipes for aesthetic value. This was purely cosmetic and had little functionality, a few peeps converted them into a 2-1 which gave better performance
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 11:20   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
You sound like Jezza from Top Gear... Respect..
I had to Google for who Jezza was. Did not know that was Jeremy Clarkson's nickname. Thank you, that's high praise indeed.

Coming back to the bike, yup, looks like the top end is the same. Here's another video of a guy wringing out a Scrambler on an abandoned airstrip. Same numbers. Crapall launch, but that shouldn't impact eventual top end.

But the bike is proper delicious. The red in other videos was too blingy, millennial yuppy for me.

P.S. Looking at how much traction the Scrambler is getting here and on YouTube, Yezdi is on the brink of a breakthrough.

We might well be looking at the TeamBHP BOTY 2022!

P.P.S. The Yezdi has a beautiful big-bike idle which is clearly heard in this video when the rider thumbs it on.

Last edited by ebonho : 17th January 2022 at 11:37.
ebonho is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 12:45   #104
BHPian

Quote:
A Bullet 500 one and a half decades ago with less than 25 bhp and as heavy, used to do 125.
I fully agree with your observations, the thing is in spite of just average performance figures, this bike is still better than Himalayan in terms of performance, that is commendable.

If you consider the price at which these machines are currently being sold, the package seems well rounded, the only potential fly in the ointment is the hit-miss service quality and geographical coverage.
gauravanekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2022, 13:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravanekar View Post
I fully agree with your observations, the thing is in spite of just average performance figures, this bike is still better than Himalayan in terms of performance, that is commendable.

If you consider the price at which these machines are currently being sold, the package seems well rounded, the only potential fly in the ointment is the hit-miss service quality and geographical coverage.
The Scrambler I believe is going to outsell the other two stablemates by a wide margin.

Yezdi may have gone into this targeting the Himalayan.

But they are going to land up with a much larger slice of a much larger pie by the look of things

The Scrambler is going to eat into both Adventure as well as Street Naked / Roadster as well as Retro Chic / Modern Vintage categories.

The only other sexy looking Scrambler available is the Ducati. Many many lakhs north.
ebonho is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed