Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2022, 16:40   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Very well said Doc. So did you buy Gixxer 250 SF back then? If yes, how is its performance and the suspension? I have a Gixxer 155 SF and like it very much.
Yes we bought the Gixxer. In silver. Its a great bike. My son is not too happy with the tyres though. Feel a bit skittish. And the bike (or my son ... like father like son I guess) goes through rear disc pads pretty quick. Build quality, engine, brakes, lights, and dynamics are top notch. Gearbox is pure Suzuki butter. In spirited highway runs he gets around 40. I think he managed to break the stalk of the right rear indicator while dismounting (he's 6'4' tall with long legs) and he's simply done the same that I've done on my Duke 390 .. taped it up with black insulation tape (coz apparently to replace it you have to take off a lot of cowling and cladding and I advised him against it (factory fitted versus put back on by workshop mechs). My Duke 390 indicator (that at the time cost 600 bucks ... probably the only costly spare on that bike at the time) has lasted over 7 years with white doctor's tape. Lol

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Mods/GTO, sorry if this reply is OT. Please delete or move it elsewhere (Gixxer thread?) if it is so that this Yezdi thread is not derailed.

P.P.S. Its one of the best engine notes around in Indian motorcycles, as per my ear. Very nice thrum, and even better at full chat. And for a quarter liter, it looks like a full sized bike. Like a 500-600 cc. In silver more than the black (the factory blue had not been launched when we bought it).

Last edited by ebonho : 21st January 2022 at 16:52.
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2022, 19:29   #122
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

Here are some thoughts
Thanks for great photos and information to go with it. Didn't see it mentioned but that rear seat angled upwards looks strange to me, a flat seat would have been better looker and comfortable for pillions IMO.
If there is a bolt-on rear subframe, may be custom accessory folks will come up with a flat subframe and seat to go along with it.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 00:26   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
https://Youtu.be/soz0ogUi3Ss

Top speed is underwhelming for a 30 bhp bike.

Must be the weight.
I don't know, but my cb350 with 21hp does an indicated 135-140 max on a straight road with no inclination, a few others on youtube have got 150. Do not know how a bike with 30hp can touch 130 only, even the jawa 42 does 140-145 as seen in YouTube videos, with the same engine. As you said, has to be the weight, or maybe a speedo error in the first few batches of bikes.
Old 22nd January 2022, 08:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
I don't know, but my cb350 with 21hp does an indicated 135-140 max on a straight road with no inclination, a few others on Youtube have got 150. Do not know how a bike with 30hp can touch 130 only, even the jawa 42 does 140-145 as seen in YouTube videos, with the same engine. As you said, has to be the weight, or maybe a speedo error in the first few batches of bikes.
I guess your bike/all CB 350 have huge speedo errors. It's highly unlikely for a 21bhp/190 kg bike with zero wind protection and aerodynamics to achieve anything over a geniune 120kph.

If your speedo error is 10/15 kmph at full chat, your real speed is a much more belivable 120/125 kph.
AirbusCapt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 09:17   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
I don't know, but my cb350 with 21hp does an indicated 135-140 max on a straight road with no inclination, a few others on Youtube have got 150. Do not know how a bike with 30hp can touch 130 only, even the jawa 42 does 140-145 as seen in YouTube videos, with the same engine. As you said, has to be the weight, or maybe a speedo error in the first few batches of bikes.
Aa you will see in a later video, the Adventure is faster. But the Scrambler and Roadster are both in the same slower range.

Could be tuning and/or gearing. With the Adventure tuned and geared for highway duty.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:44   #126
BHPian

So I had a fair go at the Yezdi Scrambler and Adventure. Observations/Opinions as below:

1. The welds could be better finished on both the models, but I didn't find the ugly under seat finishing as observed by @neiljericho earlier. So quality levels may not be as consistent yet. Paint and switchgear quality seemed good to me.

2. The seating position on the Scrambler is perfect for my 5'8" frame. On the Adventure though, my legs felt a little more splayed out than usual. My 6'1" friend found the Adventure to be more comfortable.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-img_20220122_13054401.jpeg Would have loved if the exhaust was blacked out too.

3. The brake and clutch levers have that "gap" in them, so that in case the bike is dropped only a part of the lever will break off, still leaving you with a functional brake/clutch lever. I actually witnessed this as a potential customer ended up dropping the Scrambler while taking off.

4. The instrument cluster was out of my peripheral vision on the Scrambler and I could barely read it under the afternoon sun. It's much better on the Adventure, in the sense it's in your peripheral vision and you can read everything, even the tiny gear position indicator.

5. Both the test bikes did not have rear view mirrors, which made me a little uncomfortable filtering through traffic. Availability of accessories is up in the air at the moment. Although, I was assured that availability of spare parts is not going to be an issue. A regular service cost should be around the 2k mark.

6. The footpegs on the Adventure did foul my shins while walking the bike in traffic. I ended up ripping my jeans while trying to plant my foot further out to avoid hitting the footpeg. The Adventure also feels very noticeably heavier than the Scrambler both while at standstill and on the move, even though the weight difference is barely 8-10 kg.

7. A big omission (IMHO), on both bikes are heel plates. People intending to ride these bikes in slippers may get their ankles burnt by the engine case.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-img_20220122_12401301.jpegNotice my Gixxer in red in the background & also the Meteor in blue.

8. The Scrambler is an absolute hoot to ride. It's quick off the line, but the midrange is where the fun is at. It also darts into corners faster than I expected. The brakes are superb with their feedback and bite.

9. The Adventure literally glides over the bad stuff. I tried going over a large crater at around 50 km/hr on both bikes, while the Scrambler gave me a slight bounce, the Adventure went over it without breaking a sweat. I would have had to slow down to a crawl on my Gixxer for the same pothole. The Adventure does feel lazier than the Scrambler, but it's definitely livelier than the Himalayan in both agility and performance as confirmed by my friend who owns a BS6 Himalayan. The Adventure is definitely the smaller looking bike though.

10. The pillion comfort is better on both bikes compared to my Gixxer. But the pillion would definitely be more comfortable on the Adventure for long distances even though the seat felt a little "harder" than the Scrambler.

11. I don't have any complaints regarding the refinement of both engines. Put a gun to my head and I'd say the Adventure is more refined, but not by a very large margin.

My pick would be the Scrambler in the Yelling Yellow shade. It seems to be the best do it all motorcycle for our conditions. Although I've decided to wait for a few months to put my money where my mouth is, just to make sure there are no quality issues in/after the monsoons.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-img_20220122_13072901.jpegGot an opportunity to check out this awesome Rajdoot too. It belonged to a potential Yezdi buyer. He said it cost him around 60k to restore the bike.
Shumi_21 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 15:55   #127
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
8. The Scrambler is an absolute hoot to ride. It's quick off the line, but the midrange is where the fun is at. It also darts into corners faster than I expected. The brakes are superb with their feedback and bite.

9. The Adventure literally glides over the bad stuff. I tried going over a large crater at around 50 km/hr on both bikes, while the Scrambler gave me a slight bounce, the Adventure went over it without breaking a sweat. I would have had to slow down to a crawl on my Gixxer for the same pothole. The Adventure does feel lazier than the Scrambler, but it's definitely livelier than the Himalayan in both agility and performance as confirmed by my friend who owns a BS6 Himalayan. The Adventure is definitely the smaller looking bike though.
Thanks for the great feedback on these two core points.

The Scrambler is such a beauty to look at man .... (control)

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2022, 16:54   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
I guess your bike/all CB 350 have huge speedo errors. It's highly unlikely for a 21bhp/190 kg bike with zero wind protection and aerodynamics to achieve anything over a geniune 120kph.

If your speedo error is 10/15 kmph at full chat, your real
speed is a much more belivable 120/125 kph.
Yes, maybe it has a more than usual speedo error, but even accounting for that, the speedo in yezdi is also likely to have a speedo error which would likely bring it's speed down to 125-130 kmph. Less, probably due to weight or engine tuning.

P.S. the cb is 181kg to be exact, it's lighter than most of the bikes in its class, i think it can achieve an actual top speed of around 125( if not more) easily.
Peri_patetic99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 10:26   #129
Senior - BHPian

Yezdi launch is exciting, due to this excitement I went to have a TD at my local Java/Yezdi. Only a Roadster was available for TD. I am more interested in trying out their ADV bike. I asked a TD of their Roadster, and the SE was ready to accompany me as a pillion. I protested against it, they said it's a company policy. I asked to see the showroom owner. The showroom owner happened to be my friend (perks of a small town). He offered me the bike for the entire day. I asked him to let me have an extended TD of ADV and he agreed.

I am an RE guy. I observed Yezdi with RE influenced mind. Overall, the roadster looks didn't impress me. Yes, the overall height is increased, but the seating posture was not comfortable. Due to the thin fuel tank bike doesn't look bulky and looks small. This was the first incident that I was at a motorcycle showroom and didn't take the TD. I am eager to replace my RE 350 Classic with Himalayan. I was eagerly waiting for Yezdi ADvV to compare it with Himalayan. I "ll will wait for Yezdi ADV for an extended TD.
SJM1214 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 11:12   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Yezdi launch is exciting, due to this excitement I went to have a TD at my local Java/Yezdi.
I am an RE guy.. I am eager to replace my RE 350 Classic with Himalayan. I was eagerly waiting for Yezdi ADvV to compare it with Himalayan. I "ll will wait for Yezdi ADV for an extended TD.
More and more YouTubers seem to be impressed by the Yezdi Adv for build quality, smooth engine and thoughtful design additions (in comparison to the RE Himalayan). I'm really looking forward to one of our own's extended test drive! Thank you SJM
Regards
Ram
ram1kv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 18:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

Hope brand "Yezdi" is able to turn the fortunes (that Jawa failed to do) for Mahindra Classic Legends (CL). Looks like they are going full "guns" (pun intended) in the mid-segment with their erstwhile Mahindra Mojo derived engine and the upcoming BSA Goldstar.

Except for the Scrambler the Roadster and Adventure look heavily "inspired" from the RE Meteor and Himalayan. CL pulled a fast one on RE by throwing in the Scrambler as well before RE could tease their Scram based on the 410 LS engine.

Good that CL chose the engine from Perak which I believe is a bored out version of the Mojo 300cc engine. The features for all three Yezdi's look impressive on paper and might give some competition to RE. Although, not sure how far it would affect RE as Jawa was targeted towards RE Classic series but failed to deliver. I for one would like CL to shake RE out of their comfort zone and begin offering more engine platforms to choose from.

Not sure about the rumors surrounding the Himalayan 450 liquid cooled, alleged to punch out 40 BHP. Makes sense since RE dropped 500cc sometime ago.

Coming to RE vs Yezdi, in the riding circles of the yore both were more or less like frenemies. This I believe will be carried forward IF CL manages Yezdi well and builds it into an image unlike their Jawa fiasco.

I loved the Yezdi classic fuel tank design on the Adventure, nice touch. Like everyone it is the Scrambler that has caught my eyeballs. Need to wait and watch what RE pulls out with their upcoming Scram.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 24th January 2022 at 18:27.
navin_v8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 23:53   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I dropped into the local Jawa showroom to check out the Scrambler. ..

-I found it awkward to put my foot down, while simulating a stopped at a red light condition. My feet kept fouling with the footpegs. Im used to stretching my feet forward on my Royal Enfield Continental GT 535 but on the Scrambler, the only comfortable position is to keep my feet behind the foot pegs.
Sounds like the first impressions from Interceptor test rides. That was the first thing I noticed when I test rode Interceptor and it felt really odd. Now I'm so much used to it that I had actually forgotten about it until I read your observation on the scrambler. I know you are just stating your observation and not indicating it's a deal breaker or anything. Just adding my point that it's easy to get used to in case anyone has apprehensions about the footpegs position.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:04   #133
BHPian

Any reason that the reviews from actual moto journalists like Autocar, Powerdrift, Zigwheels etc are not out yet for the motorcycles? Entire youtube is filled with random people doing random ride reviews & paper spec comparisons but not a single proper review is out yet for these bikes.

Even Benelli TRK 251 reviews are out and I don't know a single person who would want to buy that.
i_rock098 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 11:35   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
Any reason that the reviews from actual moto journalists like Autocar, Powerdrift, Zigwheels etc are not out yet for the motorcycles? Entire Youtube is filled with random people doing random ride reviews & paper spec comparisons but not a single proper review is out yet for these bikes.
Simple reason: Mainstream media review hasn't happened yet or there is an embargo for sometime. Mainstream media cannot go to showrooms and take random test rides for their articles/videos, that's not how it works. They will have to wait for the manufacturer to conduct a media review event. So, we will have to wait for it a bit longer.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 15:06   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Simple reason: Mainstream media review hasn't happened yet or there is an embargo for sometime. Mainstream media cannot go to showrooms and take random test rides for their articles/videos, that's not how it works. They will have to wait for the manufacturer to conduct a media review event. So, we will have to wait for it a bit longer.
Yup I do understand that what I meant was more in the sense why is Mahindra delaying the bikes to the media when given the initial reactions the bikes are only going to review well and will help them build up hype around the product. Without that these might just die out like how Jawa did.
i_rock098 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed