Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 10th February 2022, 15:18   #226
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Neither aspect of RE... either the blind fanboyism nor just shite quality is an unknown factor. When someone who has owned a motorcycle, rode it around the country, raced it, etc. for decades says something about that bike / brand... I for one sit up and listen. It is in only recent times that we have seen some focus on developing new products (not without some major issues,but at least they tried) and not just be about that machogiri, soul stirring dug dug crap

So when a competitor jumps in the fray and actually produces something that seems to check most, if not all boxes... the comparison is obvious; no?

IMO, instead of just making a sweeping statement, provide your rebuttal... point by point if you'd like. Maybe we will all learn something new, as opposed to this randomness
Active comparison is actually healthy and encourages discussion as to which product is better. At the end of the day we are riding the product right, does not matter who makes it as long as the product itself is good. At least for someone like me who has no brand loyalty.

It's when the product becomes second and focus is more on the brand itself is when maybe just maybe it’s a point of concern. Especially when the views of the product may be overpowered by the brand, be it any brand.

For example a post in the TVS thread about Bajaj as a company being really bad when the thread or the point being discussed is not even about Bajaj would seem a little out of place would it not.

Even if both the products are being compared a comparison along the lines of "TVS RTR 200 has a better suspension is why it feels like a better motorcycle to ride on twisty roads as compared to NS 200" would be a good criticism compared to something like "Bajaj does only repaint of old motorcycle and that's why Bajaj is bad & TVS is good" The second statement would not add any value to the point being discussed even if it’s a comparison.

Hope I was able to make the difference understandable.

This phenomenon is quite common in the video game space where people really go to extreme lengths to defend/criticize the brand they like /don't like to the point the value of what is being discussed gets lost in the brand wars.

Our forum is built on the foundation of really high quality content to the point it's the only forum which restricts entry till you have proven your quality. It just seemed something that seemed odd and out of place since at least I haven't seen any other instances of really passionate criticism towards another brand at least in the threads I have read is why I was curious. Could definitely be that its actually more common and I am not aware of the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peri_patetic99 View Post
IRE built their entire brand based on the umpteen number of bullet riders who went to different places throughout India and could easily rely on their machine to not break down anywhere. they have a legacy to fulfill now, but as it is with every brand, growth and the demand for more growth is inevitable so somewhere the charm, reliability and "built like a gun" quality has been deteriorating.

The entire explanation was extremely helpful, thank you.
i_rock098 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 11:26   #227
BHPian

Re: Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models

Autocar review of all 3 bikes
rahulcmoulee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 11:29   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_rock098 View Post
You really hate RE with a passion don't you? Like almost every post somehow ends up with how RE is a piece of metal crap.

If you don't mind I would really love to read about what made you hate them so much that you would spend so much efforts in terms of critisizing them every chance you get especially in a thread which is not even about RE.

Whats up with the RE obsession?

Let me see if I can pitch in with answering this.

Some time in the early 2000s, I remember reading some posts of a certain 'doc' challenging a few RD boys <or was it vice versa?> to go against his Bullet 500. I wondered who this mad man was too.

Those old active forums only had passionate riders sharing their obsession for motorcycles, wrenching stories, stories of midnight drags on newly laid tarmacs (with no videos for proof), stories of crashes (no surprises there), stories of bike builds coming out of a hole in a wall garage, long posts explaining minute details of builds, trips, races, crashes and general motorcycle banter. Passion and obsession was dripping in every post, every thread. Each post from a rider experiencing things first hand. No fancy youtubers, no 4k videos, no "insta"gram. Things done, things shared. everyone hooked!

The funny thing is, most of us had motorcycles that were either 2 stroke RX/RDs, Yezdis, Jawas and bullets. No ADVs, Scramblers, Street, track bikes etc. The riders however, scrambled, commuted, tracked and adventured on whatever they had. Doc has and still does this with whatever he owns/rides. He still rides his ol bullet 500. Most of us have moved on.

The world of motorcycles finally opened up and the choices now, for some of us, are mind boggling. We do not nitpick TFT dashes or colourways. We nitpick suspension set up and weight. Some of our decisions and opinions are not based on what a famous Youtuber/Social Media star says or does, its based on what we could potentially do with the motorcycle in question. The Passion and Obsession is age old, it will come across in every post.

Cheers!
wolfy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 11:50   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4Zyo-jiPbGM
Nice!

Rishad is a tall boy. As is our Neel.

And I must say, even though reports suggest these Yezdis are larger physically than the Jawa kangri pehlwans (!) they still "look" suspiciously (disheartingly) small under these riders to my eye.

No one yet has noticed or commented on the delicious period perfect bulbous in the center handgrips. I'm going to see if I can get me some of those.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:10   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulcmoulee View Post
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4Zyo-jiPbGM
Thanks! Have college classes going on, but couldn't hold off from watching the Scrambler part of the review.

Rishaad's observations pretty much match up with mine. From the video, he is definitely riding it off road, almost as much as you'd expect to do on a bike like this. And he's jumping the bike just like I was!

Just as he said, as long as there's no enduro/MX style riding involved (XPulses/Impulses do all those things all over the country under expert riders), this will be such a blast. On a fast flowy trail, you will have as much fun as you do on an XPulse (especially if you have to ride a highway to get to the trail).

A standard fit and finish is something that we all expect now. Yezdi should have done better (although, a lot of it seems to be quality control and varies from bike to bike). But really, for a bike that looks this good and is this capable, it's a liveable trade-off IMO.

If you like going fast, weaving through roads, counter leaning on corners, standing up for the bigger speed breakers (and jumping through them ), you will love the Scrambler. I do.

The Adventure is a more sorted Himalayan with less character.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nice!

Rishad is a tall boy. As is our Neel.

And I must say, even though reports suggest these Yezdis are larger physically than the Jawa kangri pehlwans (!) they still "look" suspiciously (disheartingly) small under these riders to my eye.
They are on the smaller side, especially the Scrambler. But to my 6ft frame, they don't seem cramped at all. A bit tight for sure. I rode a 390 Adv, as you know, it definitely seemed more substantial, but didn't have nearly as much feedback. I will need to stand up and flex a few times on a long ride on the Scrambler (more than I have to on my X) but I really appreciate it on the trickier and technical stuff, especially since it doesn't have a full dual sport suspension and GC, so you have to be a bit more careful. It's actually the infamous stiff suspension that prevents it from bottoming out.

Quote:
No one yet has noticed or commented on the delicious period perfect bulbous in the center handgrips. I'm going to see if I can get me some of those.

Cheers, Doc
Yes, they feel great. Reminded me of a the Triumph T100 that I had ridden some time back.

EDIT: Here's something that popped up on my YouTube. Interestingly, the guy in this video also seems to have taken to the Scrambler. The other thing that's apparent is how power-starved the single cylinder Enfield riders are. And he rides a 500 Classic. Haha.

Neel

Last edited by petrolhead_neel : 11th February 2022 at 12:15.
petrolhead_neel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 12:19   #231
Senior - BHPian

I thought the Faravahr was a sticker Rishad put on to the bike being a bawa.

But I see it now on the Roadster in the other video as well. On what looks like the front mudguard.

I have mixed feelings on this if so ...

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Yes, I was right ... (but rear)

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-screenshot_20220211122650.png

Last edited by ebonho : 11th February 2022 at 12:29.
ebonho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 13:14   #232
BHPian

If the Powerdrift and Zigwheels reviews were suspiciously negative, the Autocar and Overdrive reviews seem to kind of suspiciously harp positive. I guess the others didn't get the TD invite from Yezdi and were left fuming.
Or they declined the invites to side with team RE?

From what I've experienced, I'm more inclined to believe the latter reviews. But one common thread in all the reviews is that the bikes seem to be vibey at higher speeds. Maybe I was more focused on the other things that I didn't notice the vibes, or maybe I have a higher tolerance for vibes? I don't know. But it seems CL did indeed screw something up there from the Mojo engine (either that or these reviewer types are more sensitive than the average rider). I'm guessing they cut costs on the damping rubbers at mounting points. But are they really more vibey than REs like zigwheels claims? That's the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Nice!
I loved them, not for the authenticity or anything, but for the practicality. They're super easy to grip. I feel like even with thicker gloves, you'd probably have an easier time using these bulged types than the usual flat types.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 11th February 2022 at 13:17.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 13:34   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
If the Powerdrift and Zigwheels reviews were suspiciously negative, the Autocar and Overdrive reviews seem to kind of suspiciously harp positive. I guess the others didn't get the TD invite from Yezdi and were left fuming.
Or they declined the invites to side with team RE?
My thoughts too.

A welcome breath of fresh air from the early days of camps and non cookie cutter auto journalism and Bombay Poona Mysore intrigue. Lol

Madras was a quiet elephant in those days.

I told you. These are old school heavyweights who've come to the party.

They give a fig to established equations.

I'm salivating here ....

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 11th February 2022 at 13:43.
Old 11th February 2022, 13:55   #234
BHPian

Quote:

From what I've experienced, I'm more inclined to believe the latter reviews. But one common thread in all the reviews is that the bikes seem to be vibey at higher speeds. Maybe I was more focused on the other things that I didn't notice the vibes, or maybe I have a higher tolerance for vibes? I don't know. But it seems CL did indeed screw something up there from the Mojo engine (either that or these reviewer types are more sensitive than the average rider). I'm guessing they cut costs on the damping rubbers at mounting points. But are they really more vibey than REs like zigwheels claims? That's the question.
They are. The new RE 350cc engine is very smooth, no vibrations at all. It's not an engine that you would rev out ( I did) so it feels even smoother. It feels very different to any other post-UCE single cylinder engine that they have made (350, 500, 535, 411). The Honda is supposed to be even smoother.

I didn't ride it on the highway, but vibrations shouldn't be an issue on the Yezdis. I have a very high tolerance though. It's something I learnt from my father (who laughed out loud when I told him that people consider 60-70 to be the cruising speed on his older gen Classic 350).

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 15:20   #235
BHPian

Quote:
But one common thread in all the reviews is that the bikes seem to be vibey at higher speeds. Maybe I was more focused on the other things that I didn't notice the vibes, or maybe I have a higher tolerance for vibes? I don't know. But it seems CL did indeed screw something up there from the Mojo engine (either that or these reviewer types are more sensitive than the average rider). I'm guessing they cut costs on the damping rubbers at mounting points.
Jawa/Yezdi engines are vibey compared to the Mojo. A friend on the Adventure and me on the Mojo did a short ride to Kamshet recently. At triple digits, the Mojo (with 45k km on the Odo) barely has a buzz anywhere. The Yezdi, on the other hand, has vibrations at the pegs and under the seat. Not to the levels of the older 350/500 REs and not a deal breaker, but definitely a clear step down from the Mojo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
They are. The new RE 350cc engine is very smooth, no vibrations at all. It's not an engine that you would rev out ( I did) so it feels even smoother. It feels very different to any other post-UCE single cylinder engine that they have made (350, 500, 535, 411). The Honda is supposed to be even smoother.
Yup. The J platform engine has sorted the vibrations to a huge extent. I found them lacking power and generally too slow from what I'm used to, but except a slight tingle on the footpegs at triple digits, the vibrations are largely sorted on the New Gen REs.
AlQuazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 16:35   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Some time in the early 2000s, I remember reading some posts of a certain 'doc' challenging a few RD boys <or was it vice versa?> to go against his Bullet 500. I wondered who this mad man was too.

Cheers!
Cheers Kaps.

Not a few RD boys. But a forum full of them. Some of them are still around here too.

Challenged. Raced. Won. Pretty convincingly too. On formats of their choice. Both straight-line drags as well as circuit lap, 5 repeats as I recall ..

Some of the small joys in life. From a previous time. Taking down blowhards.

Now I simply ignore them.

Cheers, Doc

P.S. Just went back to check. That thermonuclear thread has been taken down. Or maybe archived in some hidden area for logins only. Was a classic for sure.

Last edited by ebonho : 11th February 2022 at 17:02.
ebonho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 01:34   #237
Senior - BHPian

Visited nearby showroom for a quick test ride. Adventure was away, so tried only roadster & Scrambler. Both bikes were quite new, less than 100Kms on odo.

Riding perspectives: 2012 Hero Karizma, 2015 Bajaj Avenger, 2019 Jawa Jawa, 2020 RE Interceptor
Rider: 6 ft height, inseam length 33"
Dealer: K.M. motors, Warje, Pune

Roadster: It appears like Jawa with better padded stepped seat. Seat felt comfortable in short ride hope it isn't too soft for long/full-day rides. I was sitting on rear edge of seat and knees extended beyond tank side pads, this bike is really suited for average Indian heights. I will ask wife to ride it when we visit next time.
Managed to ride it on well paved service roads; suspension and braking felt appropriate. I couldn't go beyond 50-55 kmph due to traffic on service road even on weekday afternoon. I tried rear brake just to compare with Jawa and this felt improved. Even in this styling, u-turns are manageable unlike Wife's Avenger, perhaps placement of foot pegs makes a difference. I took bit time to get used to bar-end mirrors, provides enough view if not wide. On test ride roadster, left one was bit blurry/shaky.

Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-roadstersideprofile.jpg

This paint shade looks very nice, pardon dust layer. Yezdi badging is in capital letters here whereas it's small case on other models.
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-roadstertank.jpeg

Lock & ignition position similar to Jawa
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-roadsterlocks.jpeg

Bit odd placement of brake fluid reservoir, makes a case for after-market protection part.
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-roadsterrearbrake.jpg

Zoroastrian logo/badge on rear fender
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-roadsterrear-fender-.jpg

Nice touch on alloy wheels. this lettering is in smallcase
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-roadsteralloy.jpeg

Scrambler: Handlebar felt wider than roadster, feels at ease. I tried it on same patch of service roads and bit of nearby under-construction areas, mild off-road. Engine is peppy but felt rough, wonder why I didn't notice it earlier on roadster. My 68k Kms run Karizma engine felt quieter in comparison. I didn't notice any difference in Suspension on roads, firm suspension got noticed only on off-road section. I don't have off-road skills like petrolhead_neel, however I thought I won't notice firmness if I try higher speeds. At 30-35 kmph, ride was bumpy making me uncomfortable however bike felt in control. I stood up on pegs for a short while, felt I was too forward/uneasy, need to attempt again. We have plenty of bad roads in Maharashtra, however on Scrambler I don't think it would give pleasant ride experience due to firm suspension or I need to change my riding habit. Rear suspension mount point is odd for my height/torso, it almost transferred all shocks to spine.
ABS modes can be changed by long press of both arrow keys. It can be changed even on the go, don't know if this is a good thing or not.

Dual tone paint scheme looks spectacular
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblertank_side.jpeg
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblertank_top.jpeg

Ever since I saw leaked photos of Scrambler, I wanted to check how rear part of seat has been mated. This is the frame after removing seat, it appears only bolts, was expecting welds.
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblerrear_overhang.jpeg
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblerseat_underneath.jpeg

Varroc ECU underneath the seat, rubber sheet covers it
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblervarroc.jpg

Tank welding
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblertank_welding.jpeg

Rugged look of Side panel
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblersidepanel.jpeg

Console can show miles and kilometers, Long press M button to switch. I only noticed later that test bike was showing miles during test ride. Sales person & myself figured it out how to switch.
Yezdi Motorcycle Brand relaunched with Adventure, Scrambler & Roadster models-scramblerconsole.jpeg

I will pay visit to dealership again to test ride Adventure, also want to check if Jawa Perak engine feels equally rough.
sukiwa is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 10:19   #238
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thanks for the detailed photos Sukiwa.

Bolted rear subframes are very common and have a lot of inherent advantages.

If I'm not mistaken the Duke too has a bolted on rear subframe.

Also in this case somewhere down the line you will see aftermarket subframes and straight saddles being sold to guys with girlfriends, or old guys with now relaxed wives, who want to start riding again.

Somewhere in the 20-25 years in the middle, girlfriends turn into wives and suddenly prefer the car. Which works great for guys who like to ride hard and be responsible for only themselves.

Delhi Karol Bagh is awash with such solutions for the 3/4 scale model sized Jawas. My friend got such a seat fitted to his 42 to keep the Mrs. happy.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 12th February 2022 at 10:27.
Old 12th February 2022, 11:19   #239
BHPian

Nostalgic travia :Reminds me of friends who bought a Yezdi, in the '80's would invert the logo on the tank and sides, to read as 'ipzah'.
Vinod_nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2022, 11:38   #240
BHPian

The Motoroids videos are out. Out of the multiplicity of YouTube reviews i do try to catch his at least, especially because he usually does a thorough job rather than a cursory summary.

Like most, he also seems particularly impressed by the scrambler; understandably of course as it's been a long awaited form factor at the budget end.

P. S: i do find it intriguing that there is a great variety in different people's observations regarding the vibes on the adventure.
KayEss is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed