Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2022, 14:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

2022 Honda CB300R BS6 launched at Rs. 2.77 lakh

2022 Honda CB300R launched at Rs 2.77 lakh

Honda has launched the 2022 CB300R in the Indian market. The bike is priced at Rs 2.77 lakh (ex-showroom). The updated BS6-iteration of the motorcycle was first showcased at the 2021 India Bike Week (IBW). The 2022 CB300R will now be assembled locally.

Name:  2022hondacb300r.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  62.6 KB

The motorcycle carries forward the same bodywork and design as the previous model, albeit with a few subtle updates. The CB300R now comes with golden forks, along with a blacked-out headlamp bezel and radiator shrouds. Honda has also updated the design of the exhaust, giving the motorcycle a sportier look. The 2022 Honda CB300R now comes in two new colours: Matte Steel Black & Pearl Spartan Red.

The motorcycle also comes with LED lights all around, a new LCD display with a gear position indicator and a shift light.

Powering the 2022 CB300R is an updated 286cc single-cylinder 4-valve DOHC engine. It produces 31.1 BHP @ 9,000 rpm and 27.5 Nm @ 7,500 rpm and is paired with a 6-speed gearbox with slip & assist clutch as standard. The suspension and braking setup remains identical to the old BS4 model.

The 2022 Honda CB300R will be sold via the brand's 88 premium BigWing dealerships across the country. Bookings for the motorcycle are now open.

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 15:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda confirms CB300R for India; bookings open. Edit: Launched @ 2.41L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
2022 Honda CB300R launched at Rs 2.77 lakh
Steep pricing. Despite being locally assembled now, it will cost 36,000 more than the BS4 edition and with a minor power bump?

This bike does have it's positives, but the competition appears to be better value.
Shreyas_H is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 17:24   #3
BHPian

Honda missed a trick here by not pricing competitively, even though it is being assembled locally.

The Ex Showroom price of Honda CB300R (31.1 bhp) is
10k < KTM Duke 390 (43.5 bhp)
17k > BMW G 310 (33.5 bhp)
49k > KTM Duke 250 (29.6 bhp)
67k > Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 (29.6 bhp)
70k > Jawa Perak (30 bhp)
100k > Suzuki Gixxer 250 (26.1 bhp)

All of the above are street bikes. One of them also looks retro. The only place where the Honda beats all of the above is weight. It is roughly ~20kg lighter than all its competitors. Only the Suzuki comes close but even that is 10kg more than the Honda.

Honda will do well if it slots itself in the 42k gap between the Duke 250 and the BMW. If not, it remains the bike of choice only for the most die-hard Honda loyalists.
antz.bin is offline   (41) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 17:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Honda missed a trick here by not pricing competitively, even though it is being assembled locally.

The Ex Showroom price of Honda CB300R (31.1 bhp) is
10k < KTM Duke 390 (43.5 bhp)
17k > BMW G 310 (33.5 bhp)
49k > KTM Duke 250 (29.6 bhp)
67k > Husqvarna Svartpilen 250 (29.6 bhp)
70k > Jawa Perak (30 bhp)
100k > Suzuki Gixxer 250 (26.1 bhp).
Thanks antz.bin for taking the efforts of putting the prices of the competition. Gives a clear picture where the CB300R is slotted. I was really looking forward to this launch & dreamt of getting it in my garage due to its nimble nature and power on tap. I was also under the impression that since the BS6 version will now be assembled locally (compared to the CKD route of the BS4 version), Honda would be able to price it competitively (at least under 2.5 lacs), but the launch price has been a big bummer.

I will now have to strike off the CR300R from my list and look forward to the MT-15 V2.0 launch, if only Yamaha doesn't get too greedy like Honda. Else finally I may cut the cheque in favor of the FZS25
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 18:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I will now have to strike off the CR300R from my list and look forward to the MT-15 V2.0 launch, if only Yamaha doesn't get too greedy like Honda. Else finally I may cut the cheque in favor of the FZS25
I was also waiting for this launch and was expecting around 2.5L ex-showroom. Not that I really need to replace my current ride now which is a 3 year old 150cc commuter but if it was priced right, who knows I might have given it a serious thought. If you want me to suggest then I'd say Gixxer 250 will probably be a better buy compared to FZS25 if you have Suzuki service available in your locality.
Carpainter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 18:14   #6
BHPian

Launching this bike at this price point should definitely give a boost to BMW G310 series and Dominar. While this bike has its pros, the market has moved on from when the BS4 version was launched in 2019.

Going by Honda's recent pricing trends, they are always pricing their bikes above the market range purely on the Honda brand name. (spec sheet comparison doesn't always justify the price). Looks like my current CB300R is probably gonna be the last Honda I will own.
adityak7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 18:34   #7
BANNED

I was eagerly waiting for this. But at this price doesn't appear to be value for money. Any idea when Suzuki V-Strom 250 will be on our roads?
Old 12th January 2022, 18:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
I was eagerly waiting for this. But at this price doesn't appear to be value for money. Any idea when Suzuki V-Strom 250 will be on our roads?
Don't hope for it. Suzuki is probably not going to take another chance bringing that twin here, especially after it developed the oil cooled 250 supposedly just for indian conditions. We may see an adventure bike based on this current 250 yet though.
drt_rdr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 19:42   #9
BHPian

I had booked the CB300R in December when the news came out hoping for an on-road price of about 3-3.2L. Now that's out of the window, I might just still get it.

In a country where larger capacity is better, it would be interesting to know about Hondas sales pitch to the Bigwing customers where the Highness and the RS in almost 70k cheaper.

The 31HP and 145KG weight is a mouth-watering combination. And the hope that the Honda will be cheaper to maintain in the long run compared to the BMW or KTMs.

It's not value for money but the Hondas rarely are. There are few options for a no-nonsense Japanese motorcycle outside Suzuki. Wish Yamaha launched the MT-03 or an MT-25 here. Till then, this probably is the best bet for us along with the Gixxer 250.
7000plusrpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2022, 23:48   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSK123 View Post
Any idea when Suzuki V-Strom 250 will be on our roads?
V-Strom 250 (single) is expected to be launched this year, as per info which I’ve received from sources.

However, if the 3rd wave of pandemic cause a significant impact in terms of lockdowns/closures of businesses, expect that timeline to get extended to 2023.
GoBlue is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 02:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
it remains the bike of choice only for the most die-hard Honda loyalists.
True.
From your list, its likely to be the one brand the non loyalists will consider, for the sake of hassle free running & owning. That's almost a given with any Honda product. They may have got the pricing a bit off. I doubt if that will deter anyone from picking one up.
Its got a nice profile and looks good too.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 13th January 2022 at 02:18.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 09:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpainter View Post
If you want me to suggest then I'd say Gixxer 250 will probably be a better buy compared to FZS25 if you have Suzuki service available in your locality.
Some notes on the FZS25 compared to the Gixxer 250:
1. Equivalent performance till at least 90-100 kmph at about 40k less
2. More comfortable seating and suspension for city riding
3. 6th gear on the Gixxer is useful only if you do 120-130+ on highways, else gearing on FZ25 is sufficient.
4. Tyres, even though radials on the Gixxer 250, aren't the highest quality so both need to swapped with better Alpha H1s or Road 5s for cornering anyway
5. Instrument console not really a dealbreaker since both come with Casio-style squint-and-see screens. Only the gear-position indicator is extra on the Suzuki.
6. That initial low-down torque surge on the FZ is addictive. Gixxer is more linear, but very smooth too, so prospective buyers ride both back to back and check. This is akin to the Swift diesel turbo push at around 2k RPM vs say the more linear petrol variant, depends on what you prefer.

FZ is definitely more VFM. Apologies for going OT wrt the Honda, but right now literally everything else on the market makes more sense than the CB300R. Very unfortunate move by Honda.

Last edited by Sudarshan42 : 13th January 2022 at 09:48.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 09:54   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post
Some advantages of the FZS25 over the Gixxer 250:
1. Equivalent performance till at least 90-100 kmph at about 40k less
2. More comfortable seating and suspension for city riding
3. 6th gear on the Gixxer is useful only if you do 120-130+ on highways, else gearing on FZ25 is sufficient.
4. Tyres, even though radials on the Gixxer 250, aren't the highest quality so both need to swapped with better Alpha H1s or Road 5s for cornering anyway
5. Instrument console not really a dealbreaker since both come with Casio-style squint-and-see screens. Only the gear-position indicator is extra on the Suzuki.

FZ is definitely more VFM. Apologies for going OT wrt the Honda, but right now literally everything else on the market makes more sense than the CB300R. Very unfortunate move by Honda.
Thank you Sudarshan42 for the comparo between FZS25 & Gixxer, every little bit helps. I am definitely going to test ride each of these bikes, before zeroing in on any one. Price is definitely a major deciding factor but not the only factor. If the CB300R pulls all the right strings of my heart, then it may well be in contention. I agree discussing any further on the competing bikes may look OT over here, but then, is that not the purpose of this forum to present the right facts so that an informed decision can be made.?

P.s. One request to the mods. Can this thread title be changed to "Honda launches BS6 version CB300R for India @ 2.77L ex-showroom. I am sure the footfalls on this thread are only going to multiply from here & the BS4 version price of Rs 2.41L may give a wrong info on the price.

Last edited by AutoIndian : 13th January 2022 at 09:56. Reason: Request mods to change the price in thread title
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 10:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thank you Sudarshan42 for the comparo between FZS25 & Gixxer, every little bit helps. I am definitely going to test ride each of these bikes, before zeroing in on any one. Price is definitely a major deciding factor but not the only factor. If the CB300R pulls all the right strings of my heart, then it may well be in contention. I agree discussing any further on the competing bikes may look OT over here, but then, is that not the purpose of this forum to present the right facts so that an informed decision can be made.?
Fully agree that price isn't the only factor. However, think one would need to look at the limiting factors around one's usage of these bikes. Take me for instance- I don't think I'll ever take these 250s out for a spin on our highways. This is a personal preference, not a question of capability of me or the bikes. I prefer driving cars on highways-- can chill, be safe and have a conversation with your family/friends without having to shout through 2 helmets

For city riding thrills only, I'd say the 250s hit a beautiful sweet spot of up-front purchase VFM, lightweight agility, reasonable economy and sufficient performance to keep you engaged. From that perspective, the CB300R makes a lot less sense than say an RR310 or any of the 250s.

Again, I could be very wrong here compared to somebody else's needs, so to each their own
Sudarshan42 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2022, 12:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
True.
From your list, its likely to be the one brand the non loyalists will consider, for the sake of hassle free running & owning. That's almost a given with any Honda product. They may have got the pricing a bit off. I doubt if that will deter anyone from picking one up.
Its got a nice profile and looks good too.
I'm one of those that was positively deterred from picking it up. That's quite a bit of extra money (which snowballs when it comes to on-road price) that Honda is asking for in exchange for some vague hearsay about "Honda reliability."

I mean, the direct competition (KTM, BMW) has come a long way from their launch iterations. I don't know if there's many or any hassles left on them other than by intentional design.

The BMW\TVS bikes are even in the same compression ratio range as the Honda. And TVS's build quality on the 310s doesn't leave much room to complain.
drt_rdr is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed