Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2022, 12:09   #16
BANNED

Re: Yezdi Roadking to make a comeback as brand's flagship model

While the Yezdi Scrambler and the Yezdi Adventure have the design and purpose well defined and their rivals are well defined too in the RE stable. The Yezdi Roadster is in no mans land IMO, and the Jawa products seem to overlap in looks a purpose.

The Road king was a iconic bike and among the last of the 2-stroke era. To launch it with the existing engine will somewhat dilute the iconic status no amount of marketing can fix. I do hope the news of the BSA 650 single is accurate on the Roadking.

I do hope Yezdi will surprise us with a product that deserves the on the Roadking branding. As an owner of the 2-stroke version, my expectations are high.

Last edited by Mafia : 25th January 2022 at 12:13.
Mafia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 12:24   #17
Senior - BHPian

Yezdi 350 is one bike I'd personally like to see revived.

My cousin owned one. Very rare bike. Always lived in the shadow of the RD 350 since it was unfortunate to have been born and lived in those times with the Japanese legend.

The later version of the Road King, the Yezdi Monarch, was based on this platform.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 12:41   #18
Senior - BHPian

Unlike RE the biggest challenge for CL was to recreate the 2 stroke charm that Jawa CZ and Ideal Jawa Yezdi were associated with. CL tried mimicking RE's Classic 350 success with their Jawa, but most buyers (Jawa/Yezdi enthusiasts) were not interested in a 4 stroke Jawa as the emission norms restrict 2 strokes. Sure RE engines lost their original thump with the bygone UCE and current J series engines, but people still managed to change the silencers to get the thump. There was no such alternative for CL's Jawa.

This might be one of the reasons why they decided to bring in three completely different models compared to their earlier offerings. Most people got attracted to the Scrambler out of the three models as nothing like it was seen/offered before in the 300+ cc category in India. RE tried it earlier with their half baked Trials model but failed miserably. For Yezdi Roadking CL has to consider offering a twin cylinder engine which can make it unique and desirable in their product line up.

I remember riding a Yezdi Roadking during the late 90's and it was pure bliss to ride that two stroke smoker on the Western Express Highway here in Bombay.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:49   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post

My cousin owned one. Very rare bike. Always lived in the shadow of the RD 350 since it was unfortunate to have been born and lived in those times with the Japanese legend.

https://Youtu.be/ZXEp-VUmV9U

The later version of the Road King, the Yezdi Monarch, was based on this platform.

Cheers, Doc
I was fortunate to have owned both these iconic bikes back in the late eighties....here are the pics of them both!!IMG_20210822_153530.jpgIMG_20210822_154619.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Yezdi Roadking to make a comeback as brand's flagship model-img_20210822_153530.jpg  

Yezdi Roadking to make a comeback as brand's flagship model-img_20210822_154619.jpg  

windiesel is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:56   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Getting to see an Yezdi 350 is an event. I have only seen them online and in person only during events.

The existing Yezdi mechanics treat it like gold and have it stashed away safely while waiting for parts. It is probably the rarest Jawa / Yezdi.
Mafia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 13:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
I think one has to be atleast 45 years old to know Yezdi/Jawa.
c'mon, 45 is the major target segment for these retro classics. You see, we will "sugar baby" these "beauties" and drive them for 1000 KM in a year so reliability, cost of ownership, mileage doesn't even matter. The model is prefect!
shobhit.shri is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 13:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
I was fortunate to have owned both these iconic bikes back in the late eighties....here are the pics of them both!!IMG_20210822_153530.jpgIMG_20210822_154619.jpg
Brilliant!

My cousin's (2 years my senior) Yezdi 350 was ditto like yours.

I used to be in awe.

Cheers, Doc
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 16:31   #23
BHPian

I'm super eager to buy one if my schedule permits! The new Jawa got me excited but I just couldn't to buy one!
Old 27th January 2022, 18:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

There are rumors doing rounds that CL will equip the Yezdi Roadking with a new chassis and a new engine. I believe the engine and chassis will probably be from their BSA Goldstar model. While the engine is a BIG single 650cc, I am not sure how it will fare against RE 650 twin. A Yezdi Roadking Scrambler with that Big Single 650cc engine would be a delight though. I hope CL is listening.
Old 27th January 2022, 22:51   #25
BHPian

The Roadking is one bike that pulls strings. Dad used to have one and I, as a four year old, used to sit on the tank and hold the handlebars. I still remember the putter of the twin exhausts and the kick-cum-gear lever.

Nostalgia aside, Classic Legends has a long way to go if it really wants to make a mark. Their implementation of Jawas fell woefully short of expectations.

Hoping that the new Roadking happens to be a good bike worthy of the name. Fingers crossed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
Lovely pictures of the two bikes windiesel. What caught my eye was the topgun sticker on your helmet.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th January 2022 at 05:14. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 27th January 2022, 23:36   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant1286 View Post
Lovely pictures of the two bikes windiesel. What caught my eye was the topgun sticker on your helmet.
That's a Studds RB2. I had the same one in black with silver white decals. A legend in its own right of the 80s and 90s.

Here's mine

Name:  My Pulsie tank.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  52.3 KB

Name:  Pulsie at the Chakan test track.jpeg
Views: 316
Size:  57.4 KB

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 27th January 2022 at 23:45.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 00:31   #27

There is a company called Mash which makes 650cc single cylinder motorcycles, if anyone wants to hear an approximate sound of the supposed BSA goldstar whose motor is rumoured to be put in this yezdi. try this link

Dosanova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 11:56   #28
BHPian

Quote:
There is a company called Mash which makes 650cc single cylinder motorcycles, if anyone wants to hear an approximate sound of the supposed BSA goldstar whose motor is rumoured to be put in this yezdi. try this link
Isn't the BSA/Yezdi 650 mill the 652cc Rotax engine found on the old BMW F650GS and the Aprilia Pegaso 650 from the mid 1990's?. The Rotax 650 is one might of an engine a true competitor against the legendary KLR 650 motor. I believe BMW F650GS won the Paris Dakar rally in 1999. Must be really interesting to see the large single thumping passed the new gen REs. If Yezdi tunes the engine & exhaust right then the Roadking 650 could ooze with character.

Yezdi Roadking to make a comeback as brand's flagship model-bmw-rotax.jpg

Yezdi Roadking to make a comeback as brand's flagship model-bsa.jpg

A cool render I came across in the internet.
Yezdi Roadking to make a comeback as brand's flagship model-screenshot_20220128114312.png
Torino is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 12:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

Yezdi does not NEED the bigger engine to bite huge chunks out of Royal Enfield's pie.

From whatever I've seen of the current engine, it's way faster than any single that Royal Enfield has.

That's the lion's share of their sales.

The twins both together based on data shared here sell less than 10,000 units a year.

There is enough time for that. Let's chew what we have for now. Which is a 350 cc modern retro classic single doing 140+.

That's not chopped liver.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 28th January 2022 at 12:10.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 23:27   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Yezdi does not NEED the bigger engine to bite huge chunks out of Royal Enfield's pie.

From whatever I've seen of the current engine, it's way faster than any single that Royal Enfield has.

That's the lion's share of their sales.

The twins both together based on data shared here sell less than 10,000 units a year.

There is enough time for that. Let's chew what we have for now. Which is a 350 cc modern retro classic single doing 140+.

That's not chopped liver.

Cheers, Doc
I slightly differ with your opinion, doc. As you pointed out somewhere at the top, RE is not just a classic retro bike, it's built on the fandom of the boys who kept holding the torch for "cult" segment. Otherwise why should a single cradle twinspark system which vibrates beyond 70-80 kmph kept churning numbers with all versions namely the bullet 350, electra 350, TBTS 350, classic 350.

I was thinking Yezdi could have been launched as a niche segment to start with the 652cc and get the fandom that can hold the torch.

Build your kingdom on that strong foundation and get the 334s coming on top of that. Maybe they could have got the taste of the market with the 652 and start the 334 with the scrambler to maintain that niche.

Then add the adventure and strengthen it with the feedback they get based on the 652 and 334 scrambler.

Finally do the fatboy roadster as a limited edition as the roadster is pretty common for the classic retros.

Also other version can be, If the 652 would become a blockbuster with the launch to start with, Yezdi can create a magic by focussing only above 652+ models (a 750, followed with 883 and then a 1 ton ) and the 334s can be reserved just for jawas.

I certainly agree that the marketing experts of classic legends would have done their study, but I feel they lost an opportunity for launching yezdi as a niche segment with 652cc and get the pulse to take it forward in same route.
Balaji31582 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed