Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2022, 17:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Wow 660 kms in a single day is no small feat! Kudos.

Btw which Givi tank bag is that?
Sorry, I threw the tags at the place I bought the bag from and don't remember which model it is although I know it is lowest priced and smallest in the magnetic strap tank bags from Givi.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2022, 20:56   #32
BHPian

That's a great and well-detailed owner review and some nice customizations on your Interceptor.

I've done a few of the mods you have carried out as well, though I went with a clear windshield from Carbon Racing because I did not want to compromise on visibility.

I would recommend getting a customized seat from Rao over any of the RE accessory seat options - a bucket seat from Rao would lower your seat height probably negating the need for the Pro-spec windshield extender and will also give you lower back support, which is probably non-existent on your current seat. I have a back injury and the stock seat was pure torture until I went to Rao whom I've known for more than a decade when I got my RD350 seat from him. His prices have jumped but he has no competition.

Also, I've been fixated on the AEW201s for close to 2 years now, but I've never seen them in person or heard them except on YouTube which does no justice. I have also been hesitating to go in for them because of cops, running-in a brand new motor, and more importantly I have heard/ read on reviews that fixing punctures on the tubed setup requires one to remove one of the end cans to take off the rear axle. Since I have now got the way2speed tubeless conversion done, I do not need to worry about this quirk, which is why I am now tempted.

The other factor that kept me away from after-market exhausts besides the points mentioned above, like you accurately wrote about was the drop in initial torque due to reduced back pressure - very few talk about these aspects when reviewing after-market exhausts and it was great to read an experienced motorcyclist point them out. Great to also read that you found a fix with a different pair of baffles from AEW. There is a sale going on right now, and the temptation is hard to resist - thought I'll have to keep the purchase a secret from the Home Minister. I'm putting off the purchase until I can see and hear the exhausts in person.

Looking at your pictures it seems that you live close to the Banaswadi area. Would be great to meet, check out your ride, and exchange notes. Send me a DM if you are comfortable sharing your number.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 22nd September 2022 at 21:03.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 11:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post

I would recommend getting a customized seat from Rao over any of the RE accessory seat options - a bucket seat from Rao would lower your seat height probably negating the need for the Pro-spec windshield extender and will also give you lower back support, which is probably non-existent on your current seat. I have a back injury and the stock seat was pure torture until I went to Rao whom I've known for more than a decade when I got my RD350 seat from him. His prices have jumped but he has no competition.
I did get lower back ache on the last trip for the first time and that was during the return after I had ridden for almost 500 kms. I also got cramps on my left leg after I stood on the pegs on one occasion. That was a first as well and I guess it was to do with distance I did. I have the stock seat lying with me and my plan was to alter that and I did check with Rao's it seemed cheaper to alter it to what I need. I didn't follow up on it mainly because I wanted to get used to the touring seat I have on the bike now, which I have partially. But, I will look into a more comfy seat down the road.

Quote:
Also, I've been fixated on the AEW201s for close to 2 years now, but I've never seen them in person or heard them except on YouTube which does no justice. I have also been hesitating to go in for them because of cops, running-in a brand new motor, and more importantly I have heard/ read on reviews that fixing punctures on the tubed setup requires one to remove one of the end cans to take off the rear axle. Since I have now got the way2speed tubeless conversion done, I do not need to worry about this quirk, which is why I am now tempted.
Feel free to check my bike out and decide. Haven't had any issues with cops till now. As for the running-in, I think the silent type baffle with the closed end helps in restricting the exhaust flow. There is already some back pressure created in the header pipes because of a cat-con located there.
Hopefully I don't get a puncture till I move to tubless/alloy wheels.

Quote:
The other factor that kept me away from after-market exhausts besides the points mentioned above, like you accurately wrote about was the drop in initial torque due to reduced back pressure - very few talk about these aspects when reviewing after-market exhausts and it was great to read an experienced motorcyclist point them out. Great to also read that you found a fix with a different pair of baffles from AEW. There is a sale going on right now, and the temptation is hard to resist - thought I'll have to keep the purchase a secret from the Home Minister. I'm putting off the purchase until I can see and hear the exhausts in person.
I just couldn't ride with a silent exhaust which is why I got ride of the stock with not even 1000 kms on the clock. Luckily, I found the silent baffle on the AEW website later which I knew will create some back pressure since it wasn't free flow and it worked well. You loose some smoothness of the stock mufflers as well torque, but you get used to it. The exhaust note is just like what I wanted.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd September 2022 at 11:52.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2022, 16:51   #34
BHPian

Great catching up with you @tharian. Those AEW slip ons are sweet. Nice mods on the bike too. Catch you soon for a ride!
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_20221002_163341.jpg  

2StrokeJunkie is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th October 2022, 13:18   #35
Senior - BHPian

After the last ride which was partly in the dark , early morning and late evening, I decided to upgrade the headlamp since the illumination was worse than the one on my 20 year old Bullet.
I did some research and read some reviews on the 650 thread on the Auxbeam LED 6k lamp which was plug and play and decided to go for it. A bit on the expensive side, but it was safety that I was after and I didn't want to change the full dome and reflector for a fully LED set up. Picked up the bulb from BikenBiker and got it fixed at their workshop itself opposite their shop. It took the bike for a highway ride to check the illumination and it was much better than stock but still did not match the cost , probably because of the stock reflector too. But I guess these will last and I don't have to worry about the lights now. The low beam throw is good and covers good area in the immediate front whereas the high beam is not as good and doesn't have the same intensity. But I found the high beam useful when flashing to overtake a vehicle, but on the empty highway in the dark, I was comfortable using the low beam and cruising confidently and use the high beam to overtake and to be noticed.
The other change I got done was change the switchgear to that of BS3 to turn off the headlamp during the day. I anyway used to ride with the headlights turned on, on my Bullet when doing rides and I will do the same on this as well, but I didn't see the need of a bright LED in the city.
The park lamp remains on as that will need wire cutting to turn on/off which I didn't want. Thanks to 2StrokeJunkie for the switchgear information and place to get it from and fitted.

At BikenBiker workshop;
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1212.jpg
Some pictures in a dark stretch of road;
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1218.jpg
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1219.jpg
And a family picture;
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1247.jpg

Last edited by tharian : 7th October 2022 at 13:23.
tharian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2022, 11:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

It is been a while since I updated this thread. Except for using the bike for a short ride every weekend, I haven't been using it much.

The recent mod/replacement was a Way2Speed performance air filter. I initially had decided to just use the open bracket along with the stock air filter, then decided to try this filter out since it was not oil-based and that was something I didn't want, with the experience of using an oil-based conical filter in my previous car.
I wasn't expecting any increase in power, but I was looking at reducing the snatchy throttle at low rpm which seems to have worked. I rode around 30-35 kms with the open bracket installed and didn't quite like it both in terms of noise and response. I did let it idle for around 10-15 minutes after installation for the ECU to adapt, but the intake roar is what put me off so decided to use the stock air filter cover with the W2S air filter which seems to be working fine for now. There is no intake roar and the engine revs nicely post 3k rpm.
The other convenient part is not having to replace the filter now and then.

The last full tank fuel efficiency was 30 kmpl and the bike has run 4800 kms.

The Way2Speed air filter and bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1624-1.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 17th November 2022 at 11:50.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 14:24   #37
Senior - BHPian

Hit the 5000 kms on the odo on a short highway ride. I was heading to Tumkur to drop off a package and decided to ride up to Sira and return since I had the time.
Sira is a place I have in memory as the Kamat Hotel beside the highway nearing Sira used to be my pitstop whenever I used to do a ride on that route. The first ride I did on this route was on my 2002 Bullet when it was new and I went up to Chitradurga on just a tankful filled using my monthly quota of fuel budget back then. Since I was running in the engine, I stuck to 60 kmph and managed to get back home. Thinking about it now, it was purely the excitement of riding the bike for long that took me there and back with just a few bucks in my pocket for snacks.

Back to the present. Traffic was dense up to Nelamangala and then Tumkur since it was a Sunday morning. I managed to reach Tumkur in a little more than an hour. After finishing my work and having breakfast, I hit the highway to Hubli. The fuel gauge was displaying 4 bars when I left home which became 2 when I reached Tumkur. I decided to top up at Sira since there are some big bunks there and don't have to worry about quality. But as soon as I left Tumkur, the two bars became one blinking bar. Knowing it wasn't accurate, I didn't worry much. Topped up at Sira before turning around and it drank just 9.3 liters. The fuel efficiency was 27 kmpl since most of that tankful was in city rides.

The ride was enjoyable and I was keeping the speed at 90 kmph most of the time with some bursts of speed in between. 90 seems to be a good speed for me in terms of wind blasts as well as safety on our roads and not to mention better fuel efficiency. The new performance air filter did seem to make a difference in terms of smoothness, especially when rolling off/on the throttle and the engine felt much smoother than any time before, towards the end of the ride. I am yet to check the fuel efficiency for the return which I will do before I use the bike within the city, just to see how much of a difference it makes with the performance air filter. The engine seems to have a sense of urgency too now when revving to around 3.5-4k rpm and shifting up.

A good 250 kms ride on a well-spent Sunday morning.

For a minute I thought the wheel is not aligned, but then remembered there was a curve just before I stopped.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-4334a3b9f96a4ac7bd1dfb251d4994bc.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1696.jpg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1693.jpg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_1691.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 28th November 2022 at 14:44.
tharian is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 18:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Hit the 5000 kms on the odo on a short highway ride.
Hi tharian

Nice bike, and please keep the updates coming in! I have booked my GT (my midlife crisis fix as well, ha ha), and impatiently waiting for her to arrive.

As yours is the most active BS6 RE650 thread, let me please ask you something. Does your bike come with the secondary air injection system with the cross-pipe, or is it blanked off as in the export (Euro5) spec bikes? Let me attach a picture from Hitchcocks to clarify what I am talking about.

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-screenshot-20221201-212227.jpg

If you could post a picture of how it looks on your bike, it will be great! Thanks!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:00   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Hi tharian

Nice bike, and please keep the updates coming in! I have booked my GT (my midlife crisis fix as well, ha ha), and impatiently waiting for her to arrive.

As yours is the most active BS6 RE650 thread, let me please ask you something. Does your bike come with the secondary air injection system with the cross-pipe, or is it blanked off as in the export (Euro5) spec bikes? Let me attach a picture from Hitchcocks to clarify what I am talking about.

If you could post a picture of how it looks on your bike, it will be great! Thanks!
I just checked and mine looks like the image on the right of the picture you shared. It does not have that system.
I guess it is also called the pulse air valve which used to be present on old cast iron and AVL engine, except that here it is controlled by the ECU.

A good video showing the various connections to the air filter box.

Congrats on the bike and I can sure see your excitement through the 650 threads.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 11:12   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked and mine looks like the image on the right of the picture you shared. It does not have that system.
Thanks, tharian for confirming! I just wanted to know if I should order a delete kit from Hitchcocks for my bike or not. Guess I won't need it.

Quote:
Congrats on the bike and I can sure see your excitement through the 650 threads.
Oh yes, I still remember taking delivery of my first batch Machismo A350 as an 18 year old, back in 2000. I had no clue how to take care of the bike, and it was so troublesome that I barely survived it for 2 years, and got royally ripped off by the mechanics in and around Kochi.

22 years, and 18 more motorcycles later, I am getting my second RE ever, at the age of 41! And this is going to be my first new bike from the showroom in over 12 years (was stuck with Yamaha 2 strokes in between). So yes, really excited, and already having a ton of parts under my work table waiting for the bike, lol!

Only problem is, it will be peak winter here in Japan around End of January, when the bike is expected to arrive (could even be snowed out). I will have to wait it out at least until beginning of April before I can even go for a proper weekend ride.

Again, lovely bike you have there. I just got seduced by the GT's sporty stance during the test ride. Else, the Interceptor is without a doubt the more sensible choice!
Viju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, tharian for confirming! I just wanted to know if I should order a delete kit from Hitchcocks for my bike or not. Guess I won't need it.
You will probably have to wait and see as it may be a part added to meet the emissions in certain countries. I am sure it is present on the US export bikes and Australia as well as shown in the video I shared. What I know is that on the BS6 650's here, the cat-con was bigger among a few other changes.

Quote:
Oh yes, I still remember taking delivery of my first batch Machismo A350 as an 18 year old, back in 2000. I had no clue how to take care of the bike, and it was so troublesome that I barely survived it for 2 years, and got royally ripped off by the mechanics in and around Kochi.
I have a 2002 Bullet Electra which I stuck with and held well over the years. I did keep visiting the A.S.S almost twice every week the first year and a mechanic I found after the first year was one of the more experienced ones and now his sons works on the bike. But mid-2002 and post that, the quality had improved quite a bit as well. Not too many issues like clutch cable snapping and electrical issues.

Quote:
22 years, and 18 more motorcycles later, I am getting my second RE ever, at the age of 41! And this is going to be my first new bike from the showroom in over 12 years (was stuck with Yamaha 2 strokes in between). So yes, really excited, and already having a ton of parts under my work table waiting for the bike, lol!
That is another good thing about owning this bike. The number of after-market parts options, both good and average quality.

Quote:
Again, lovely bike you have there. I just got seduced by the GT's sporty stance during the test ride. Else, the Interceptor is without a doubt the more sensible choice!
Thank you. It was the GT I wanted too when it was launched 3 years ago. I was also behind the GT 535 for a while, but at my age and with the kind of riding I enjoy, the Interceptor made sense.

Last edited by tharian : 2nd December 2022 at 12:02.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 12:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You will probably have to wait and see as it may be a part added to meet the emissions in certain countries.
You're right. Incidentally, I had watched that video just yesterday when I was researching about the air intake options.

Quote:
I have a 2002 Bullet Electra which I stuck with and held well over the years.
That's really good to hear! I guess I might have fared better with a cast iron engine as well, as the first generation AVLs were really unreliable. I had cables snapping, foot-rests / horns / exhausts falling off due to vibrations and what not. And to add to it, I used to ride like an ape, at that age.

I hope to keep the GT for the rest of my riding life though.

Quote:
but at my age and with the kind of riding I enjoy, the Interceptor made sense.
What are you talking about?! Your profile says you're just 42! I'm just a year younger to you! God willing, we will be riding for another 40 years!
Viju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th February 2023, 08:31   #43
Senior - BHPian

Well.. It has been a while since I updated this thread and that was because the bike hasn't seen much action in the last couple of months. I use it to drop off my wife to work couple of times a week and try to sneak in a short ride on Airport Road atleast once a month to keep the battery charged.
I have a long ride planned but not sure when I can do it. It is going to be a solo ride of a 1000 kms round. Although the bike is is due for service as it touched one year last week, but run around 5500 kms, I decided to give it post the trip so I am sure there are no hiccups on the way. The bike runs perfectly now. I have more or less gotten used to the seat and position and I try and do an hour or two either in city or on the highway so I don't feel uncomfortable when I have to do a long ride.
I got the Seelan anti- puncture sealant pumped into the inner tubes. Something is better than nothing and this had worked once before on a trip on my Bullet. I have a spare 120/80-18 inner tube too now, just in case.
The bike otherwise runs fine and I enjoy the ride whenever I take it out. With the way2speed air filter now and the AEW slip on mufflers with the closed db killer , it is a perfect combination of sound and grunt. Fuel efficiency seems to have taken a hit with around 2kmpl lower than before the filter was fitted, but it is still good for me at 27-28 kmpl with both city and highway combined.
The top end felt restricted and that was fine because of how light the front end felt at those speeds.
On a ride I did on Republic day to Woodys which is around 80 kms one way.
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-de1b412576304dce9318d900390bb3b6.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 12th February 2023 at 08:34.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2023, 22:37   #44
Senior - BHPian

Got the 1 year/10k kms service completed today. The bike had run 5700 kms.
The complaints were, chain slack adjustment and squeaking sound from the rear disc when applying brakes. Both were fixed and the engine oil replaced as well. I haven't decided yet on going with a different brand of oil for the time being as the Liquid Gun works fine for my kind of riding and service intervals.

Thankfully there were no adjustments done to any of the levers and I was hoping they wouldn't adjust the valves either which thankfully they didn't since there was no tappet noise. I had put back the stock air filter before dropping off the bike and got a brand new one on the return since they said the old one was dirty. I kept it aside and put back the performance filter which I have gotten used to now. I need to ride the bike more to notice any difference from the fresh engine oil.
The bill amount was RS.3140.

This was an old garage,now a A.S.S, that's been around a while and I have visited them few times many years ago too for my Bullet. The workshop is filled with cast iron engine bikes and just few modern bikes. There was just one Interceptor apart from mine inside the workshop.

A neat looking 535 I saw when dropping off my bike at the service centre.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-d9b67ab1d0514c99984f766be1de0c2d.jpeg
Back home.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-4beff89ddbdb423793119ec0877bdf5a.jpeg

Last edited by tharian : 18th February 2023 at 22:39.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 13:42   #45
BHPian

Quote:
This was an old garage,now a A.S.S, that's been around a while and I have visited them few times many years ago too for my Bullet. The workshop is filled with cast iron engine bikes and just few modern bikes. There was just one Interceptor apart from mine inside the workshop.
How was your service experience with this service center? Could you please share their name and coordinates? TIA.

Most Viewed