Buy a high performance electric scooter (Ola, Ather etc) 81 52.26%
Buy a low speed electric scooter (Okinawa R30 etc) 9 5.81%
Buy a traditional IC scooter (Activa, Jupiter etc) 40 25.81%
None of the above, wait for some more time 25 16.13%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 22:20   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The great electric scooter purchase dilemma | Low or High-Speed model?

On the point of safety of batteries here's an example:
Ola : Battery Fire (OLA CEO Bhavish Aggarwal's reply to petrolheads).

While this is the first incident concerning the Ola but this highlights :
- look at the EV as a holistic product with safety being an equally important factor and so would be the service.
- stay away from newer products as the issues are still to be ironed out.
- ignore any claims of excellence by the manufacturer, research on what the owners are reporting
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 08:05   #32
Senior - BHPian

After evaluating various options and the recent fire incidents it seems clear that most of the companies have not invested a lot of time and effort in localizing the vehicles or the battery management systems.

So one has to be a lot careful before they put their money on a new product. That said there seems to be another set of companies who claim to have a better knowhow about the batteries or its usage like Bounce and Log9 battery powered scooter. Watch this about Log9 systems a very innovative battery manufacturing startup.

Wondering if anyone here have received the delivery of the Bounce Infinity e1 yet and if so how is the initial experience.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 12:47   #33
BHPian

A scooter for my Father (67 Years Old)

I am looking to gift my Father a scooter on his upcoming birthday (28th Aug) He will be 68 years old and has been riding our Hero Honda Ambition Bike since last ~20 years. The bike isnt very reliable and my Father isnt very comfortable to keep repairing it. The risk of taking it outside a 10 kms radius is also quite high.

My Father is near to heavy built, cannot call him physically fit however has good determination. He rides the bike to banks, markets and any ad hoc work within 10 to 15 kms of radius. Imagine a typical Marathi Mumbaiker who has retired from the 1st company he started his career with.The bike is used as per need with max 100 kms per month of usage (as of now) He is not very tech savvy and will probably depend on me for charging, connections and train to ride an electric scooter. Though I will be happy to help, I dont wish to overwhelm him with such a radical shift in 2 wheeler ownership and wish to keep him feeling independent.

We own 2 cars (both diesels) however driving them for such short distances, parking issues in places like markets makes it little difficult.

Need advice from fellow BHPians on:
1. Does buying an electric scooter for him make sense?
2. Or stick to tried and tested Jupiters and Activas?

Looking forward to suggestions and probably there will be back and forth discussions as well.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 28th July 2022 at 12:51.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2022, 21:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post

Looking forward to suggestions and probably there will be back and forth discussions as well.
I would say definitely buy an EV, iQube should be an ideal scooter, even the base model will perfectly fit your needs. IQube is also a tried and tested model like the jupiter, only issue is you may not get the delivery within a month.
SKC-auto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 00:23   #35
BHPian

Quote:

1. I don't think so. Why overwhelm him with new tech unnecessarily which does not benefit him at all and he is more likely to get distracted? Moreover, it makes no financial sense to buy an EV whose batteries will degrade even without use when the running is of the order of 1200 km per year. 2 tank full of fuel is going to last a complete year in a splendor or TVS radeon in such a use case.
2. Why not a splendor/alternative light motorcycle? I find motorcycles to be more stable if getting on them is not an issue for your father.
codwapeace is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 02:12   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A scooter for my Father (67 Years Old)
Apologies for the boring suggestion. But I suggest you gift him a regular Activa in his favorite color. It should keep him happy for many years to come.
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 10:00   #37
BHPian

Quote:

1) Absolutely No. Basic economics of EV will go for a toss if the running is low. EVs (cars or scooters) make sense only when used to the fullest. Otherwise it will be a waste of money. Also, given his age and preferences, don't give him any extra points to bother about. A regular fill-it-shut-it scooter is more practical.

2) However, given the age and other things you mentioned, have a long TD done for any model you plan to buy. Different scooter have slightly different ergonomics and it will matter. Activa (as with any Honda product) is the most neutral which is a plus point for seniors. So a TD is recommended before the switch to a scooter.
Old 22nd February 2023, 09:48   #38
BHPian

In case anyone is still having this dilemma and is wondering which one to buy amongst the 3 leading Electric scooters, this is really helpful.

Old 22nd February 2023, 12:31   #39
BHPian

As others have mentioned in great detail about whether you should buy an e-scooter or not, I would not comment on that.

But if you decide to buy one, just keep it simple and buy either the TVS iCube, or the Aether. My friend has an Aether 450x (over 1.5 years old) and his experience has been pretty good. I also rode the Aether, it has awesome acceleration in the warp mode but reduces range quickly. He also bought the TVS iCube S and it is also very good. The iCube S is actually giving him close to 100km range in normal driving.

As GTO also replied, you should go for the higher power models, as it will serve you better over the years and you will have a better ownership experience with these Brands too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks