Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:39   #1
BHPian

What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?

Thanks for this. I have been considering it as well as I recently sold my Himalayan after 20k kms on it. Himalayan was good but was really lacked some key things I wanted:
- refinement (the vibration after 80 )
- relaibility (clutch wire, cone set, rusting)
- power (best below 100)
- good service network (RE is good, no complaints)

Need some guidance on comparions from experts here. I need a comfortable.middleweight cruiser for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes in Bangalore (25kms) once a week. I am 6.1ft and 40+yrs so comfort is key

The 3 bikes am considering are:

1. Dominar - Lots of enhancements now and flaws fixed. Value for money! The only negatives is the ride quality on bad roads. Many rural roads are quite bad and I ride a lot in them. Is it better now? Also riding position in a adv motorcycle is better.

2. KTM 390.Adv - no brainer. Meets most criteria. Higher on the cost side compared to Dominar but within budget. Would love it more if it was twin. Riding position for someone like me is nice.

3. Interceptor : The love for the twin! But horrors of RE and rinding position due to straight seat. Value for money! But again the attraction for the twin...

4. Any others the experts here recommend? Do I go for a single or twins? I don't mind indulging a little bit. The Honda's 'look' does not appeal. Versys 650 is nice but is KTM x 2, can afford but middle class value mindset kicks in....

Appreciate any thoughts on the above.
rohing is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 11:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2022 KTM 390 Adventure - Early Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohing View Post
The 3 bikes am considering are:

1. Dominar - Lots of enhancements now and flaws fixed. Value for money! The only negatives is the ride quality on bad roads. Many rural roads are quite bad and I ride a lot in them. Is it better now? Also riding position in a adv motorcycle is better.

2. KTM 390.Adv - no brainer. Meets most criteria. Higher on the cost side compared to Dominar but within budget. Would love it more if it was twin. Riding position for someone like me is nice.

3. Interceptor : The love for the twin! But horrors of RE and rinding position due to straight seat. Value for money! But again the attraction for the twin...

4. Any others the experts here recommend? Do I go for a single or twins? I don't mind indulging a little bit. The Honda's 'look' does not appeal. Versys 650 is nice but is KTM x 2, can afford but middle class value mindset kicks in....

You left out the Honda CB 500X. Would be a good bet that will balance the city n Highway.
The other option would be to consider the KTM 250 adv, well tuned motor to balance the city plus sufficient power to cruise the highway all day at 100.

390ADV might be a pain in the city with its high revving nature.

Dominar is a heavy machine for what it offers.
ku69rd is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 12:03   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Dominar - Lots of enhancements now and flaws fixed. Value for money!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Dominar is a heavy machine for what it offers.
Always wondered why the Dominar doesn't sell more. On paper it seems excellent value for money. But I hardly see any. Haven't ridden one to comment, but there must be some reason. Curious to learn why.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 13:26   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Always wondered why the Dominar doesn't sell more. On paper it seems excellent value for money. But I hardly see any. Haven't ridden one to comment, but there must be some reason. Curious to learn why.
I have ridden the first iteration for about 500 kms and it was good. However, in the first avatar, the value for money was lower, suspension was unbearable on broken roads. Bajaj has now put in a lot of work to fix it but once something flops it is hard to salvage
rohing is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 14:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
You left out the Honda CB 500X. Would be a good bet that will balance the city n Highway.
Even I was about to suggest the same. Wonder why it did make it to the shortlist prepared by rohing. You mentioned that "The Honda's 'look' does not appeal". Is it so for the 500X as well? Mind you this has a parallel twin & you said you don't mind indulging a bit. Moreover the new CB500X is on the cards and the existing version is retailing as discounts of over a lakh rupees. In Bengaluru the outgoing model would cost you around 6.86 lacs on road (as per Bikewale), refer the pic below. You can squeeze further discounts if you have good negotiation skills.
Attached Thumbnails
What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?-honda-cb500x-6.86-lacs-onroad-bengaluru.png  

Last edited by Sheel : 25th February 2022 at 11:37. Reason: Removed attachment text. Thanks.
AutoIndian is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Even I was about to suggest the same. Wonder why it did make it to the shortlist prepared by rohing. You mentioned that "The Honda's 'look' does not appeal". Is it so for the 500X as well? Mind you this has a parallel twin & you said you don't mind indulging a bit. Moreover the new CB500X is on the cards and the existing version is retailing as discounts of over a lakh rupees. In Bengaluru the outgoing model would cost you around 6.86 lacs on road (as per Bikewale), refer the pic below. You can squeeze further discounts if you have good negotiation skills.
Looks aside, does it not take this into Versys 650 territory? KTM 390 is around 4.5 and Versys is around 7 I think. That was the reason I did not include as then in that range Versys is more powerful, proven and better looking (in my view) product?

The only real KTM alternative seems to be BMW GS but the lack of service centers worry me. I once took a fall in Chikmaglur in my Himalayan - broke the brake lever, bent the handbar etc. I managed to get to service center 0.5 kms away, fixed everything and was on my way to complete the ride. If it was a BMW, I would have been in a real soup...

Last edited by Sheel : 25th February 2022 at 11:37. Reason: Quoted post edited. Thanks.
rohing is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks aside, does it not take this into Versys 650 territory? KTM 390 is around 4.5 and Versys is around 7 I think. That was the reason I did not include as then in that range Versys is more powerful, proven and better looking (in my view) product?
The Kawasaki Versys 650 is way over 7 lacs, it is 8.41 lacs on-road Bengaluru, to be precise. But yes, the engine is bigger and more powerful. In fact it is a segment above the 500X and the reason it was being compared with the more powerful Versys 650 was its earlier pricing.
What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?-kawasaki-versys-650-8.41-lacs-onroad-bengaluru.png
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2022, 17:16   #8
BHPian

You're privileged to be able to consider the 500X. Now that it has entered the conversation, things can take quite a turn in this discussion from what I've seen

Everyone that has ridden it only has good things to say about it. Take a test ride!
shyamg28 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 21:16   #9
BHPian

If you want to look at a used bike then the Ninja 650 is something that has bullet proof reliability. You can get a 2 year old one in pristine condition for around the 390 adv money or if lucky even a newer model. Spares arent very expensive either unless you break the body panels.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2022, 21:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Suggest a good pre-owned Versys 650. It's reliable and a perfect middle weight all rounder.
Proxima is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 10:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Himalayan was good but was really lacked some key things I wanted:
- refinement (the vibration after 80 )
- relaibility (clutch wire, cone set, rusting)
- power (best below 100)
- good service network (RE is good, no complaints)

Need some guidance on comparions from experts here. I need a comfortable.middleweight cruiser for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes in Bangalore (25kms) once a week. I am 6.1ft and 40+yrs so comfort is key
rohing,if you had said mentioned that your usage was only on weekends, then I would have said go for a Kawasaki Versys 650. But since you mentioned you are looking at city commuting in Bangalore, then you should strongly consider something more usable and all rounded. These mixed conditions are where the Honda CB500X truly shines. It gives up some brownie points on highway rides when compared to its more powerful competition but it makes it all back up, in the city where it slides into a super commuter avataar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
It was love at first ride. The seat’s tall for someone who is just 5.5 ft. I couldn’t even tiptoe. It was only one leg on the ground at any given time. The weight of the bike and the ease of riding it made the seat height issue non-existent. I could flick the bike in and out of traffic as easy as I could on my Gixxer and riding through Bangalore’s traffic was a breeze.
This is what TBHPian Snehal Sekhar said about the Honda CB500X which he has taken delivery of.

Test ride all the bikes in your budget and see what impresses you the most.
neil.jericho is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 10:43   #12
BHPian

I would say ignore the Versys. I had a short spin on it and even though I am 6 feet tall and can plant both my feet on the ground, the sheer bulk of the bike made it a handful to negotiate at slow speeds. The KTM 390 Adventure was a lot more manageable but I hated the lack of low down torque.

The Honda CB500x seems to tick almost all your boxes and with the prevailing discount should be worth the extra money it commands.
bf1983 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2022, 11:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
. But since you mentioned you are looking at city commuting in Bangalore, then you should strongly consider something more usable and all rounded. These mixed conditions are where the Honda CB500X truly shines. It gives up some brownie points on highway rides when compared to its more powerful competition but it makes it all back up, in the city where it slides into a super commuter avataar.
As always (per my earlier car buying experiences), Team bhp always brings in a new contender which I never considered. Thanks all for your suggestions esp on the Honda. Couple of points:

- My commute in Bangalore is dropping kids at school (1km) largely within a gated complex, plus once a week to office (Whitefield to ecity). So not a daily rider

- One thing that is very important to me is service. Given that the big Honda's come out of the Goldwing network, how is the coverage? I try and ride to remote places and need the peace of mind that I don't have to bring the bike on a tow truck if anything goes even minutely wrong. Plus having multiple service stations means not having to ride to the Bangalore city center for service.or minor tuning and wasting half a day

Thanks once again. Will go test drive both and come back to the forum. Wish they offer testdrives at home like the cars. Going all the way to Hodna Goldwing Indiranagar in Bangalore traffic will eat half my day.

As always quite suprised, no one even mentioned Dominar in passing - I do think it is a competent machine.
rohing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 11:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

Re: What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes?

What comfortable middleweight bike for 500 km/day trips (once a month) and city commutes? - Posts moved to a new thread.
Aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 22:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
- One thing that is very important to me is service. Given that the big Honda's come out of the Goldwing network, how is the coverage? I try and ride to remote places and need the peace of mind that I don't have to bring the bike on a tow truck if anything goes even minutely wrong. Plus having multiple service stations means not having to ride to the Bangalore city center for service.or minor tuning and wasting half a day
Rohing, honestly I think you are worrying way too much about having a service network everywhere you ride, as well as across the city of Bangalore.

If that is a non negotiable factor, then forget everything else that we have recommended on this thread and get yourself a Bajaj Dominar or a new Royal Enfield Himalayan. You can ride them anywhere and you dont have to stress about finding a SVC when you are out on a ride. Both companies also have multiple SVCs in Bangalore. So all your needs are met with either of these choices. Buy whichever one you like better.

If you are willing to be flexible on this aspect, then do consider the Honda CB500X. It seems to be the perfect motorcycle for your needs. The Lavelle Road branch comes highly recommended. Call them up and see if you can schedule a test ride of the bike.
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed