Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2022, 14:43   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan | Overheating Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider@55 View Post
I'm in the 6th month of owning a REH BS VI and have ridden her around for almost 3k kms. From day one of 'running in' the engine, I've faced the problem of the engine 'overheating'. Overheating to the extent I feel the heat creeping in through my riding denims. When I mentioned this to the personnel at the Official Service Center (Soniya Motors, Manpade, Thane), I got the response that it being a new engine, this was bound to happen. Also, when the engine overheated, it being ridden in thick traffic conditions, it would die-off in between gear shifts. To fire back the engine, I would have to get back to neutral and then start all over again.

An experienced REH rider shared with me the same problem he used to face with his REH BS VI. He recommended I take the bike on a long ride and hopefully, like in his case, the problem would fade out for me too. So, I did. But it was winters and my rides along the Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway were smooth sans traffic bottlenecks. So did not feel the engine overheating.

Recently, with the mercury in Thane, Maharashtra, going north like a drag race machine, I can sense the engine heating up even on short rides of less than 10kms. My engine crash-guard becomes hot thanks to the engine heating up.

When I did a generic check for the same on YouTube, a rider who faced this problem shared that replacement of the 'liquid cooler' unit on his REH gave him a solution. Not being a 'grease monkey' (phrase used with due respect to engineers & techies) I don't know if this is 'a' solution or 'the' solution, or, if there is some other solution. Would sincerely appreciate inputs and/or assistance from people who know how to handle such glitches.

Thanking all responses in advance.
Hey Rider. REHs, do tend to heat up pretty quickly during short sprints especially if tended with choc a bloc traffic at crawl speeds. The heat is evident around your shin and thighs and it does overwhelm sometimes, the fact of it, which is this being a single, thumper that's air cooled, this is pretty common scenario. 43 Deg C count of the dash is a common affair.

Considering your odo mileage, the bike's still brand new and it does need some time for it to bed things in. Most owner's manuals mention the tendency of an engine to heat up during the first running in phase of ownership. As the periodic services accumulate, they tend to cool down a bit and run comparatively cooler.

There was one weird case on a new bike where the rear brakes were biting hard on the disc which caused the engine to overheat due to the additional stresses to overcome the brake strain which caused excessive engine heating and luckily it was found sooner.

Make sure you follow your periodic services regularly, make sure your foot doesn't graze the rear brake pedal all the time, if yes, adjust your foot position accordingly so that your brakes aren't dragging all the time. Adding to the checklist, next time when you visit your SVC, make sure both your wheels are moving freely in their axis, and if need to be switch to better quality semi synthetic oil rather than LiquidGun that the SVCs normally use which definitely makes a difference.

Good luck and keep your observations posted.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 19:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider@55 View Post
I'm in the 6th month of owning a REH BS VI and have ridden her around for almost 3k kms. From day one of 'running in' the engine, I've faced the problem of the engine 'overheating'. Overheating to the extent I feel the heat creeping in through my riding denims. When I mentioned this to the personnel at the Official Service Center (Soniya Motors, Manpade, Thane), I got the response that it being a new engine, this was bound to happen. Also, when the engine overheated, it being ridden in thick traffic conditions, it would die-off in between gear shifts. To fire back the engine, I would have to get back to neutral and then start all over again.

Recently, with the mercury in Thane, Maharashtra, going north like a drag race machine, I can sense the engine heating up even on short rides of less than 10kms. My engine crash-guard becomes hot thanks to the engine heating up.
Dear rider@55 I own a 2019 Interceptor and have started noticing the heating issues only recently (same heatwave period as mentioned by you). Though i won't go to the extent of calling it "Overheating" but its quite noticeable now even for short rides. I have never felt it during last summer (May / June'21) when i used to ride to office daily (70 kms) in the middle of mad Mumbai traffic.

I guess its a temporary phenomenon. The engine shut down could also be due to a faulty Relay unit (I used to face the same issue which went away when I got the relay changed under warranty). Get the air filter and fuel lines checked and the oil cooler cleaned. I have also been going to same RE ASS (Soniya Motors) in Thane for my bike servicing requirements. Speak to Siddhesh Jadhav or Ramesh Gupta (+91 79775 98483) at the workshop and get their most experienced mechanic Raja to have a look at your Himalayan.

All the best and happy riding.
ThePatientMan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:36   #18
BANNED

Please excuse me if I'm jumping in at the deep end. I have never owned a bike leave alone a REH. My only experience of a 2-wheeler is the Bajaj Chetak in the family more than 3 decades ago. But I do have healthy experience in the operation/maintenance of ICE coolers and heat exchangers.

Try the following if everything else (as mentioned earlier in the thread) has failed :-
1) Get the cooler dismantled. Check if the fluid passage is clear - blowing air through it and checking the exit for good air flow.
2) If the tubes are provided with cooling fins, clean the fins properly. Thoroughly clean all heat exchange surfaces & passages of the cooler.
3) Drain and replace oil of the correct grade - viscosity, detergent additive (to prevent & clean carbonizing at high temperatures)
4) Check the oil circulating pump for proper flow & pressure.

If this doesnt work, one may have to conclude that the REH engine is still being developed and customers are being used as guinea pigs for R & D. This should not come as a surprise since this practice is not as uncommon as it sounds.

Last edited by shashanka : 24th March 2022 at 09:41.
shashanka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2022, 15:49   #19
BHPian

Joining in as I remembered something after my last post. Regarding the stalling issue of your bike, please try one simple adjustment.
Increase the idling RPM of your bike very slightly (say 200 RPM). Since you mentioned it happens between gearshifts, I just remembered I faced a similar issue after a routine service in my bike and realized they have set the idling too low. Increased it slightly and the problem resolved thereafter.
Ritkon is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks