Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2022, 21:59   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Royal Enfield Interceptor/Continental GT Twins : Parts availability

I had my INT 650 serviced more than a week ago at the company-operated service center in Bangalore (BTM Layout) and I had exclusively asked for the front brake pads to be replaced as part of the work to be done. A day later the service advisor calls me and tells me they are out of stock of brake pads and I could get the work done about a few days later once the stock arrives.

It's been 10 days and even after checking with them every 2 days, there's no clarity on when such a basic part will be back in stock. Today morning reached the service center and was advised to check with other service centers across the city as they now were not even able to give me timelines (till then I always was told 2 days repeatedly). I called up at least 2 more service centers across Bangalore (HSR, Koramangla) and they confirmed the same situation at their end. None of them are now confirming when the stock will be available.

In the past, I have seen a few parts for the Interceptor not being in stock (for e.g. sump guard) and had to wait at times for over a week but these were not absolutely must-have parts. Going to mechanics outside the RE network so far has not given me the availability of original RE parts (e.g. I had to ask around a few local FNGs for changing my bike handle and they all asked me to go back to the service center).

Is parts availability a common/recurring problem observed wrt to the Twins across the country?

@Mods,
Felt this warranted a seperate thread. If you feel otherwise, please merge this post with the Twins general/common thread.
ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 10:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Interceptor/Continental GT Twins : Parts availability

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is parts availability a common/recurring problem observed wrt to the Twins across the country?
My quick answer is - Agree with you, there seems to be shortage with spares

Last month when doing the school service during the peak hour traffic, a Tata Lorry & Leyland Dost were doing a break dance competition on account of demonstrating their driving skills. Unfortunately I couldn't get past their show due to heavy traffic.

During this ongoing show, a mini episode unveiled in form a RE 350 rear ending a Pep that rear ended my Inty. That was incidentally the first accident as well, anyway, no human injury & to keep things cool, I let go off the incident as nothing seemed to be damaged other than skewed rear number plate bracket. Afterall I own a machine that's built like a gun!! Or so I thought? Until Son pointed out that the already protruding left exhaust is even more protruding.

My first reaction on hearing from ASC was They said, this is nothing & I can continue to ride as long the bike is rideable. Told them, that's not how I treat the motorcycles & told them whether they want to do a business or not. They said the left side bracket is bent & needs replacement and they don't have one in stock.

Royal Enfield Interceptor/Continental GT Twins : Parts availability-br1.jpeg

But still, they reluctantly removed the exhaust only to find the exhaust gasket that they thought was in stock is missing now. So, they don't know what's in their inventory!! But they were cooperative, sent a person 8 Km away to fetch one from different showroom, who eventually didn't show up even after an hour.

Eventually I placed an order to be said the parts will arrive in 3-4 days. That 3-4 days was somewhere by end of Feb. Little did I know that 3 days is nothing but 3 weeks!! Finally I replaced the bracket & gasket last week after 3 weeks of patience & 300 follow-ups!! Costed me Rs 169 for both.

Although I wanted to give some business to ASC in form of fitting, they were too busy to book my appointment due to which I had some fun with DIY, which is a story for another day.
Royal Enfield Interceptor/Continental GT Twins : Parts availability-br2.jpeg

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th March 2022 at 14:52. Reason: As requested.
aargee is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post

But still, they reluctantly removed the exhaust only to find the exhaust gasket that they thought was in stock is missing now. So, they don't know what's in their inventory!! But they were cooperative, sent a person 8 Km away to fetch one from different showroom, who eventually didn't show up even after an hour.

Eventually I placed an order to be said the parts will arrive in 3-4 days. That 3-4 days was somewhere by end of Feb. Little did I know that 3 days is nothing but 3 weeks!! Finally I replaced the bracket & gasket last week after 3 weeks of patience & 300 follow-ups!! Costed me Rs 169 for both.

Although I wanted to give some business to ASC in form of fitting, they were too busy to book my appointment due to which I had some fun with DIY, which is a story for another day.
Attachment 2289390
I am not sure how is the scene in bangaluru but here in chennai lots of RE authorised parts stores are there, you should try there as well. I have been to couple of places to buy few small parts and mostly they have stock, if they dont have they will take order and arrange in couple of day.

When i want to fix back the stock silencer on my bike, one gasket was missing in the accessories box the previous owner gave me with the stock silencers. I Went to the nearby RE store and bought it, as this gasket is same as other RE models they said, i had the old part with me and they gave me the right size. Similarly i bought the screws for exahust heat shield as that was also missing.

Name:  IMG_1206.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  40.2 KB

Old vs new
Name:  IMG_1208.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  29.6 KB

Installed on the bike
Name:  IMG_1239.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  22.5 KB

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th March 2022 at 14:53. Reason: Fixing typo in quoted post.
Rahulkool is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 11:32   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I am not sure how is the scene in bangaluru but here in chennai lots of RE authorised parts stores are there, you should try there as well. I have been to couple of places to buy few small parts and mostly they have stock, if they dont have they will take order and arrange in couple of day.
Can you share store details here? I'll be in chennai this weekend and will head there if this isn't resolved by then.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 13:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you share store details here? I'll be in chennai this weekend and will head there if this isn't resolved by then.
You can check with Nilesh Distributors off JC Road. They are RE OEM distributors and should have parts in stock.

NILESH AUTO DISTRIBUTORS UNIT -II
https://goo.gl/maps/xRWKmhPhKMJgoUDk6

Quite helpful owner too who in case parts are not available with them.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 15:43   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are lots of such stores for genuine parts, you can google.

I found the required part in below store in pudupet area, i wont suggest taking the interceptor there, its extremely narrow street, i went there in activa and even that was difficult.

https://goo.gl/maps/yPk7ig6eqjfXMpJ26

If you are lost then ask anyone of bullet original parts store and they will guide you.

Another store i went for the fasteners.

https://goo.gl/maps/B5fNSGFYMYy5UYYu9

I will suggest you to search on google to find stores near to your place, then you can call them ask for the part availability before visiting.
Rahulkool is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:29   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
You can check with Nilesh Distributors off JC Road. They are RE OEM distributors and should have parts in stock.

NILESH AUTO DISTRIBUTORS UNIT -II
https://goo.gl/maps/xRWKmhPhKMJgoUDk6
Lol. Spoke to the number(s) on their site. I was told this is a TVS store and they have nothing to do with Royal Enfield. Even the number says Nilesh TVS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
There are lots of such stores for genuine parts, you can google.
I will suggest you to search on google to find stores near to your place, then you can call them ask for the part availability before visiting.
I did that a while ago - most of them stock Classic/Thunderbird/etc parts (RE original parts) but not for Interceptor. I guess they might have alternate (non-OEM) products though. I always was told that would change in the near future. Thanks for sharing Chennai options, I'll see what I can get done when I'm there (other than checking with the main service center).
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 16:51   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol. Spoke to the number(s) on their site. I was told this is a TVS store and they have nothing to do with Royal Enfield. Even the number says Nilesh TVS.
Here you go;
https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/l...city=Bengaluru

They have a TVS parts store right next door as well.

EDIT- The address in the link is for their warehouse and their shop is just off JC road as mentioned in the link in my previous post.

Last edited by tharian : 28th March 2022 at 17:02.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 17:03   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Thanks that linked to the right number. But they don't have front pads in stock either. Same is the case for other two authorized stores in that area (Fixwell Motors & Cyber Automobiles). Seems like a shortage across the market entirely. All are quoting ~5 days timelines for stock to be supplied.
Old 28th March 2022, 19:38   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol...I guess they might have alternate (non-OEM) products though...Thanks for sharing Chennai options, I'll see what I can get done when I'm there (other than checking with the main service center).
Thanks for checking & sharing your feedback; I would vouch to stay off from Pudupet. Having my 20s to 30s explored that entire locality with Rx & RD for more than half a decade almost all the streets, all I can say is, the effort is worthy for parts from yesteryears motorcycles like Yezdi, Jawa, Rajdoot, Luna, Hero Puch etc. Otherwise it has to be parts from reputed OE supplier such as Supraja cables etc. Even then, I still have my apprehension. Or if its for customization such as saddle bags, seats etc.

For vehicles that are still in production - the wait is worth.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 22:37   #11
BHPian

Adding my two cents since nobody has so far mentioned this but for me and a friend, the stock availability issue for RR unit and new lock set vanished in uner two hours of raising a ticket by calling RE helpline (two separate occasions about 6-7 months apart) . In both cases, within half an hour of raising the complaint the dealers were calling back and rather pushing that they'll come home with the part and do the change! And it actually worked too but they picked and dropped the bikes back post repair.

Maybe try that once
iamgyan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 12:55   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
Maybe try that once
Thank you - that definitely set the cat amidst the pigeons! Have got two calls since I raised the complaint. So far they have told me what I already know that there is no stock in nearby service centers but they will try their best.

Let's see how this goes. Atleast I don't need to follow up with the service advisor daily now.
Old 29th March 2022, 13:45   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you - that definitely set the cat amidst the pigeons!
That was the figure of speech I was looking for but couldn't remember while typing my post
Yeah, the way I understand they do have some sort of online ticket tracking and escalation mechanism that the dealers for some reason really want to avoid. As you said, you don't need to follow up now and you'll be in front of the queue as and when the part comes up.
Old 29th March 2022, 17:53   #14
BHPian

Thank you for starting this thread. There is acute shortage of parts(as per the RE Dealers in Delhi/NCR), except frequent stuff such as oil filter/air filter, some regular replacements remain out of stock. I even checked with the RE spares distributor in Karol Bagh, Delhi who are also clueless. Even my request for booking a part, after paying advance was also refused. The parts dealer even went to the extent of claiming that INT parts are hard to come by and hence they don't deal in the INT spares.

BTW I was looking for spare throttle and clutch cables, brake and clutch levers, I was able to get only clutch cables/lever from Naraina Workshop, I still couldn't source spare throttle cables and brake lever.

Do the Bangalore/Chennai stores ship/Courier spares? I will contact them and get stuff instead of driving around to 5 service centres to get simple parts.

Last edited by setuniket : 29th March 2022 at 17:55.
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 18:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss, you're going to love this:

Sump guard, guess when I placed an order? 9-Dec-2021. Yes, it's going to be 4 months now & still no signs of sump guard.

Royal Enfield Interceptor/Continental GT Twins : Parts availability-ns.jpg

I was unofficially told by showroom to get in touch with another dealer in Adyar as they've huge inventory.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed