Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2007, 12:50   #1
BHPian

Two Wheeler for City Riding

Hi,
My first bike (if I can call it that) in college was a Scooty and then a string of decisions based on word of mouth and I ended up owing a Bajaj Boxer and then a HH Splendour and RX-135.

Having been riding Pulsar 150 for over three years now have decided on getting a new bike for commute.

Am open to both the geared and otherwise, with preference to the ungeared.

My priorities are
1. Decent pick up- Am on the heavier side.
2. Economy- Above 40 on road would do.
3. Ride- Loved the way my legs snuggled up to the tank on pulsar.Am looking for good suspension and top ride comfort i.e easy on the back.
4. Budget- Less than 50k which rules out Kinetic Blaze(don't like it anyway).
5. Maintainance-One of the reason I want to sell my Pulsar is the treatment I got to give her. It's run around 25k with regular servicing at Castrol Bike Zone and still parts keep breaking, battery is dead ( it's a kick starter bike) electricals and switchgear malfunction...So my new bike needs to be low maintainance.

Look towards the useful replies.
Old 11th June 2007, 15:15   #2
BHPian

Blaze would have been great for you since you are on heavier side and thats the only powerful scooter with a 166cc engine. others are mostly 100cc or less so power may be a problem except for the nova 135 which is 135cc and has tons of storage. maybe u can get a slightly preowned blaze for 50k.
Old 11th June 2007, 15:18   #3
BHPian

How about a unicorn. I am not sure whether its under 50K but its a good bike for the city
Old 11th June 2007, 16:42   #4
BHPian

"With preference to the ungeared"
1. Decent pick up
2. Economy
3. Ride
4. Budget- Less than 50k"

Guess the only ungeared bike that fits the requirement I guess is Honda Activa.

Activa is more practical and conservative in styling, ease of use, better ride quality and the excellent 102cc engine.

Cheers
Hellcat.
Old 11th June 2007, 22:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilbakshi View Post
Blaze would have been great for you since you are on heavier side and thats the only powerful scooter with a 166cc engine. others are mostly 100cc or less so power may be a problem except for the nova 135 which is 135cc and has tons of storage. maybe u can get a slightly preowned blaze for 50k.
Thanks for the suggestion and am not that comfortable with the design of the nova, good bike otherwise I guess, though mileage is on the lower side and the price on the higher.

Had not thought of Nova earlier.Any other info on its performance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
How about a unicorn. I am not sure whether its under 50K but its a good bike for the city

A issue I have with the pulsar I ride is the hard clutch operations in Bangalore's stop-stop-go-stop traffic, how does the Unicorn perform here?

And its priced closed to 60k with the electric start and higher for the new version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellcat View Post
Guess the only ungeared bike that fits the requirement I guess is Honda Activa.

Activa is more practical and conservative in styling, ease of use, better ride quality and the excellent 102cc engine.
That was the bike I had originally thought of, any alternatives? hows dio?concer is with dios reliability-the body precisely.

Anyone has info on the ungeared yet to be launched by Suzuki?
Old 11th June 2007, 23:56   #6
Team-BHP Support

Had not thought of Nova earlier.Any other info on its performance?

Performance is not the problem, it wont last with time as well as say, an activa.

A issue I have with the pulsar I ride is the hard clutch operations in Bangalore's stop-stop-go-stop traffic, how does the Unicorn perform here?

Unicorn is better for ride comfort, although i prefer pulsar for its sportiness.
uni is also good for the back, and is comfortable for city and highway use.

That was the bike I had originally thought of, any alternatives? hows dio?concer is with dios reliability-the body precisely.

Well, except for the plastic body, its as reliable as the Activa.

I had started a thread on that, lemme see.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...er-suzuki.html
Old 12th June 2007, 16:31   #7
BHPian

My sister has owned a Nova 135 for 3 years now and its been fine. no problem and mileage seems to range from 45-55 kpl which is good, a little higher than activa maybe. Its 135cc, I think 8.5 bhp so should be good for your use. one great feature is the HUGE underseat storage, bigger than any other scooter and believe me its great to have that. Caveat: if you are heavier then mileage of any twowheeler will be a little less as its affected by weight on vehicle.
Old 12th June 2007, 17:59   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, Nova is a great two wheeler but, my preference is for Blaze, looks really awesome and quite powerful and decent mileage.

Otherwise the proven and tested Honda Activa should be the choice.
Old 13th June 2007, 11:43   #9
BANNED

for city commuting Apache is a very good option if u r looking for geared one.
In ungeared segment honda activa or blaze(if u r looking for long rides also) is a good option.
Old 13th June 2007, 15:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

Go for the Dio, since yor on the heavier side the Dio would be good as it has some bulk compared to the Activa. If taken care of there are no issues with the bodywork.

Kinetic is gonna launch a 125cc scooter in collaboration with SYM. SYM is a leading manufacturer from the south east and competes with Honda and the likes in europe and quality is also very very good. The scooter will be branded SYM-Kinetic. It has a front disk brake and proper telescopic front forks. More details in this months' Bike.
Old 13th June 2007, 19:25   #11
BHPian

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions.

Rode on a Activa for over 50 kms yesterday to check it out. Did not take long to decide against it.
At low speeds the steering handle does not inspire any confidence and though initial pick up is good not satisfactory.

Riding a Nova 135 is on my to-do list now or else I would be back to the geared bikes in which Unicorb is undoubtly the best for the city for me ( Apache 150 a tad small for my size)
Old 13th June 2007, 19:34   #12
BHPian

Have ruled out Blaze, very uncomfortable with its looks.

Did read up on SYM- Kinetic Scooter, intresting
Old 13th June 2007, 20:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
By November I guess. Right now trials are on.
Old 13th June 2007, 21:25   #14
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
Have ruled out Blaze, very uncomfortable with its looks.
I suggesst getting a test drive..
Maybe you dont like the looks..But may be its more comfortable for you..
Just try it out.

I think comfort should come 1st and then the looks..

I dont think the blaze looks that bad..It looks great when bigger people ride it..small people dont look good riding her..It feels too odd..
Also It makes the rider look small..when compared to other bikes..(thats what I feel)
Old 13th June 2007, 22:36   #15
BHPian

SRK, Well I have test rode all the three contenders including the blaze, wish there were some more choices in this segment. Most probably will become a wing rider (lol).

Wish the Kine marvel was still available.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks