Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2022, 21:20   #166
BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs

@Sebring: Congrats on the bike and thanks for your thoughts on it.

Could you post the chain and sprocket specs?

Could you also see if there's separate fuses for the front and rear ABS?

Could you also confirm from the manual if the suspension travel is indeed a "generous" 120mm? Also, how much fluid do the forks take?

Also, you mentioned the rear tyre didn't feel good off-road. Try checking your tyre pressures. Chances are the showroom would've filled the usual 35 psi at the rear. If you're going offroad, stick to manufacturer specs or a bit lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post
The Vstrom, I would say, has almost all of these virtues in one bike (excluding exhaust note). However, it did not exceed my experience of involvement provided by my earlier motorcycles in even one area. Matched up at best, but not exceeded
That's an interesting perspective. Though I suppose there's only so much Suzuki can do with it to make it stand out while still retaining their design approach of friendliness and super-usability (within the scope of the design of course).

Would be interesting to know how you would rate this against your experience with the inazuma.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 24th May 2022 at 21:35.
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:41   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
Would be interesting to know how you would rate this against your experience with the inazuma.
Oh the Inazuma! Alas, I was not as mature then as the bike was. Twin cylinder creaminess at its best - it had so much going for it. Metal tank for tank bags and 18 litres of fuel if I'm not mistaken. A solidly stable 180 kilos with amazing body balance that only the Japanese can build, stable like a car at low traffic speeds. A ride quality that I remember Shubabrata Marmar of Overdrive back then, said was Rolls Royce like. So true! Between Salman Khan advertising it and a lack of Abs, I momentarily blinked one weak social evening and down came an opportunistic friend and plucked off my nose...err... Bike.

It was no off roader by any stretch nor made for quick darting through traffic. A relaxed regal pace that made 120kmph seem half that. Honestly, you can call me crazy, but only after you try riding Suzuki's intruder for a long stretch, because ride quality and handling plushness wise it comes closest of all the motorcycles I had post the 'zuma. (Do note, I'm only talking sub 5 lakh motorcycles) Vstrom vs Zuma is therefore not fair to both I'd imagine.

Last edited by AnAntinspired : 24th May 2022 at 22:00. Reason: Edited grammer.
AnAntinspired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 21:54   #168
BHPian

Quote:
18 litres of fuel if I'm not mistaken.
I was mistaken- 14 litres is what's accurate! But I see your questions perspective, as globally the Vstrom 250 is the Inazuma redecorated.

Since we do have only the single cylinder, mileage oriented, fibre body Vstrom 250 to buy here, I would focus on it's positives over the Inazuma - much better wind deflection, more agile to weave about in, better mileage, taller view, more multi-purpose. Also more tech with abs, bluetooth, sidestand cut off, mobile charger (with an excellent position for it) cheaper maintenance and hopefully better resale. Not to forget, a head turning colour called Champion Yellow!

Last edited by AnAntinspired : 24th May 2022 at 21:58. Reason: Edited grammer.
AnAntinspired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 22:06   #169
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the encouraging post Neil, means a lot. I did not have this bike on my radar, looking at the front suspension travel specs. But in the test-ride I could feel it as a complete package. I'm just back home and like AnAntInspired said it's not very involving for the rider. The clutch is slightly harder than my CB 350, and when there is pin-drop silence I can hear something brushing (like a whooshhh) in the engine. Getting it looked at tomorrow. The footpegs are fouling against my leg at signals (Position is wrong). I'm tip-toeing all over as its a wee bit taller . So it may not be a full-on positive review. Heck, I missed my butter smooth CB350 today. Posting few more pictures from the afternoon Pdi, (trying to avoid back to back posts)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
we are all expecting you to write a detailed ownership thread on the VStrom 250. It certainly will be an exciting thread to follow
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1786.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1785.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1789.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1790.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1791.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1794.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1796.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1802.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1804.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1807.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1815.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1836.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 24th May 2022 at 22:07.
Sebring is online now   (23) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 22:21   #170
BHPian

Here's a video of the V doing some off-road in capable hands:

The rider is an ex IAF officer who's raced motocross professionally and he owns (IMHO) the fun-est motorcycle ever built; the Ducati Hypermotard.
Shumi_21 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 22:26   #171
BHPian

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_20220524_162116.jpg
Congratulations Sebring. I don't know what of your doing I was more amazed at - the speed of your purchase or that you parked your 'cat amongst the pigeons' by placing your Highness right in the Suzuki stock room! ��

A pic of the same, apologies for not taking prior permission. Also, a pic of me of 5'11" on the Vstrom. My legs felt folded a bit funny, naked streetbike like...do they look so too? Will keep a watch out for whether anyone else of around my height posts the same observation.
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_20220524_162245.jpg
AnAntinspired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 22:54   #172
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Bro. All cool As you can see I'd just gone to check out the bike, else I'd have taken a cab. Have heard great things of the Zuma but missed riding it. Hope to experience it some day. VSTROM is made for tall people like you. But if you're not getting a 'kick' there is no point
Quote:
Congratulations Sebring. I don't know what of your doing I was more amazed at - the speed of your purchase or that you parked your 'cat amongst the pigeons' by placing your Highness right in the Suzuki stock room! Also, a pic of me of 5'11" on the Vstrom. My legs felt folded a bit funny, naked streetbike like...do they look so too?

Last edited by Sebring : 24th May 2022 at 23:00.
Sebring is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 08:28   #173
Senior - BHPian

Sure. Here it is. Its quite a fat book, plenty of info.
Shocks: Rear is 7 step adjustable. Front details shall post when i get to it
Quote:
Could you post the chain and sprocket specs + Shocks
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1945.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1944.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 09:11   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Sure. Here it is. Its quite a fat book, plenty of info.
Shocks: Rear is 7 step adjustable. Front details shall post when i get to it
I think he wanted to know the size of the chain and sprockets plus the manufacturer (DID or). Same for the shock, though it might be difficult to find the manufacturer name without removing the whole assy.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 10:56   #175
BHPian

First of all, may congratulations on your new acquisition. I am so glad the deliveries have started and you are one of the first few customers! Loved your CB350 thread and I am hoping you will create one for the SX 250 as well. Eagerly waiting for that.

Secondly, I saw a crack on some plastic part in these two images. May not be an issue as it looks like it is in the same approximate location on the two sides of the bike. But still wanted to point it out for what its worth.

Quote:
Posting few more pictures from the afternoon Pdi, (trying to avoid back to back posts)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...s-img_1861.jpg
Quote:
TQ. And few interesting pics reviewers may not have carried
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...s-img_1789.jpg
I also have a few queries, do check them and let me know whenever you get time -
  • Does this bike have pannier mount provisions? Or a locations to install saddle stays?
  • Do these hand guards have metal frames inside them? Asking from the point of view of protection it would offer to levers in the event of a crash
  • On the subject of crash protection, did you get a chance to see the official crash guard?
  • Any possible mounting location you can see for a phone near the digital instrumentation display?
  • How robust/well made is the beak and its plastics? Thinking more from the point of view of fashioning a phone mount frame that bolts under the windscreen frame, with the phone eventually coming on top of the digital display.

Appreciate any pointers you can give, cheers!
Old 25th May 2022, 11:24   #176
Senior - BHPian

Finally this thread is alive. Did anyone manage to get hands on the lowered seat(800/805mm i guess)? 835mm indeed might be a bit tall for vertically challenged folks like me(5’7”) but happy that Suzuki is giving an option of lowered seat unlike KTMs which are super-tall.

Saw one today near EC, Yellow indeed looks smashing . When/if I get one, that’s the colour it will be
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 12:45   #177
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to your pertinent questions they opened the service manual, and what was revealed is reassuring. FORK TRAVEL IS OVER 300mm. Breaking news, yeah. Fuse, I couldn't check. Tyre pressure was exactly 35 psi (Should be 29). How did you know? So its normal now. Engine noise was due to incorrect chain adjustment. I hadn't given them time to pdi. AnAnt, you should TD the bike now with chain tensioned right
Quote:
Could you also confirm from the manual if the suspension travel is indeed a "generous" 120mm? Also, how much fluid do the forks take? Try checking your tyre pressures
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-img_1950.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-5a0cade3a6514f0ca4ecf34bdc128657.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-fe80f41556fc4023bd08e6f9009acab1.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 25th May 2022 at 12:52.
Sebring is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 13:58   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Oh the Inazuma! Alas...
Ah, distance makes the heart grow fonder or something like that. Sometimes, things just need a bit of time or the right circumstances to come to appreciate them. And as another saying goes, it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. I hope you get back your nose or atleast find a nice replacement that fits the slot.

I've been looking at the Inazuma and the V-SX as potential replacements for my ageing GS150R. It seems to me that the V-SX leans more towards general purpose road bike (rather, a more versatile roadbike). Yeah, the V-SX definitely has the upper hand in terms of practicality and safety. But the inazuma keeps tugging at the heart for exactly the maturity of the ride as you put it. So, I was curious as to how much of an overlap there is between V-SX and Inazuma in terms of overall ride quality, feel, and usability.

Quote:
Honestly, you can call me crazy, but only after you try riding Suzuki's intruder for a long stretch, because ride quality and handling plushness wise it comes closest of all the motorcycles I had post the 'zuma.
I'lll definitely go check out the Intruder now. People in my circle have been gravitating to the RE 350s for their touring needs. Going by your words, seems like like the Intruder could be a nice alternative too.

Quote:
Sure. Here it is. Its quite a fat book...
My mistake. I should've been specific. As RedLiner pointed out, I'm looking for sprocket sizes, i.e. number of teeth, and number of links on the chain. Does the manual list this?

Quote:
Thanks to your pertinent questions they opened the service manual, and what was revealed is reassuring. FORK TRAVEL IS OVER 300mm. Breaking news, yeah. Fuse, I couldn't check. Tyre pressure was exactly 35 psi (Should be 29). How did you know?
Wow, thanks for taking the trouble. Fork travel can't be over 300mm though. That's xpulse rally kit territory IIRC. The screenshot you posted lists the free spring length at that number. The spring would get compressed to some extent inside the fork tubes I assume. So... I wonder how much the travel really is. But yeah, seems like it might be over the "generous" 120 mm atleast. Possibly 180 mm?

The 25 psi at the front and 35 at the rear thing has been the de-facto filling everywhere... service stations, garages, petrol pumps. It's the Indian standard i.e. the lazy man's standard or the economy-minded man's standard. I mean, I fill the same on my roadbike and the tyres have lasted longer than expected at the cost of grip. I usually fill the manufacturer recommended pressures on my Impulse and the tires have gone bald by 20-25k kms.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 25th May 2022 at 14:14.
drt_rdr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 15:04   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
Finally this thread is alive. Did anyone manage to get hands on the lowered seat(800/805mm i guess)? 835mm indeed might be a bit tall for vertically challenged folks like me(5’7”) but happy that Suzuki is giving an option of lowered seat unlike KTMs which are super-tall.

Saw one today near EC, Yellow indeed looks smashing . When/if I get one, that’s the colour it will be
I am 5'7" and on the heavier side.
Just test rode the bike....indeed its tall but manageable. I also took my wife along for a short spin.....rear seat is quite comfy and roomy.

Low seat will cost approx Rs 1700/- and is available on order.
In case i get the bike:
- First - i will ride it for sometime and see if i get the hang of it and become comfortable.
- Second - will get the seat shaved a bit and see if it helps.
- Finally, if nothing works.....will go in for the low seat assembly.

I was not too impressed with the gear shifting. Was too hard, did adjust the clutch in the middle of the ride by borrowing pliers from a cycle waala .
It helped to an extent but still they were hard.

Engine response is crisp. 90-110 will be the sweet spot.
Some vibrations cropped in on the tank after 5k rpm but nothing significant.

In all i think the bike seems "jack of all master of none".

Will wait for reviews and feedback from the owners here before i take the plunge.
RohitJames is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2022, 15:21   #180
BHPian

Took a look at the bike and rode it a few kilometres. Here’s my initial few impressions -

1. The bike looks surprisingly colourful in flesh. Camera pictures don’t do justice. My pick is the orange.

2. Exhaust note is quiet and refined, but twist the throttle and it’ll make heads turn in traffic. Has a nice meaty grunt to it.

3. Seat height was perfect for me, at 6’2”. I could also flick about the bike while parking, thanks to the good weight distribution. The heft could be felt when you let the bike tilt too much, but it’s nothing that a taller rider can’t manage. Shorter rides would need to use boots and maybe opt for the lowered seat.

4. Information console was surprisingly big, it was bigger than the Gixxer’s. Easy to read too, even when straddling. The indicators are very, very ugly and do not belong on this bike. They’ve been lifted off straight from the Gixxer.

5. Being tall, I thought saddling the bike would be a bit of a problem with the lean angle. I was right. I was instantly disappointed when the bike didn’t feel at home. The tank doesn’t foul with my knees when seated - which is a good thing -, but while saddling, you have nothing to hold on to, and it felt super awkward. Even my Gixxer SF feels better while saddling. This also causes a problem when throttling it. Braking isn’t intuitive while saddling either, but luckily, the rear brakes have good feel and feedback, bite is decently strong.

6. Thanks to point 6, I felt the need for 1.5-2 inch risers for the bars. In no other bike have I ever felt the need for those.

7. The front isn’t prone to diving like the GS 310 is, especially upon braking. Loved that. The front suspension was decent-ish in the flat stretch of road and slight pavement bumps I rode the V-strom over.

8. Build quality, for the most part, is good, typical Suzuki characteristic. But the tank recesses (if I can even call them that) flex slightly. Expect squeaky panels over extended use.

9. Seats are soft and supple, but yet firm enough to not cause discomfort over long tours. Much better than the Gixxer in this regard. I easily see myself doing double the distance.

10. Peppy engine, but it’s slightly behind the Gixxer in terms of outright acceleration and throttle response, but it’s got plenty of juice to keep newbs happy. Experience riders will enjoy the fuss-free attitude of the bike when it comes to cruising on the freeway or managing bumper to bumper traffic scenarios.

11. Cool arrow head design air vents on the side fender.

12. Useless underbelly protection. Exposed pipe underneath made me wonder how long it’ll last. Ground clearance is alright for the bike. It’s a decently tall motorcycle. Good road presence, even though it’s not very wide. The SA claimed that the underbelly pan would be coming as an accessory soon. For whatever that’s worth.

13. Under seat storage is large, very useful. Props to Suzuki for that. But the keyhole to access this is placed in an inconvenient and annoying place, similar to the Gixxer. You have to bend down and look for it, lest you scratch the fender.

14. Rear top box mount looks premium and is very well finished. Looks better than the one on the Xpulse, which does come with rubber covers which are a thoughtful touch in my opinion.

15. Lastly, I find the design of the motorcycle to be rather conservative in nature, save for the flashy colours. I don’t like how they’ve used a ten year old light assembly for the rear (it’s taken from the previous generation Gixxer). The front is a direct lift from the Gixxer as well, though it has an added beak.

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-107a988be147496a8993f2d37c973b4d.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-df872a6abe0b4a59ab354b93924d5096.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-973150bb5f62452aa29a2a8340197360.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-afbd03a85939425da29e09e0ffb43e25.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-70f9c79eb50b482fae7481c480699432.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-6a212b278bdf4978bb251b8383736c59.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-a7e2519eff904de6adc0685d59ab7e03.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-a65f6a31eb994a83a7089f4136324055.jpeg

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-275f8df7a972456b9381d563dcf0d466.jpeg

Overall, it’s a very good bike for anyone who’s interested in touring and is in the market for an Adventure Tourer under 3 lakhs. Though I do feel that the price is a little steep. It could’ve had more features like a switchable ABS, Slipper Clutch, larger front wheel etc. Fork gaiters and LED indicators, at least as an option would have been very welcome. Alas!

Would I buy it, personally? Nope, as good as the V-Strom SX 250 is, I need something that’s got a little more character and makes a unique case for itself. Adv 250 >> V-Strom 250.

Last edited by Axe77 : 26th May 2022 at 04:50. Reason: Typo corrected - as requested.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (25) Thanks

Most Viewed