Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2022, 01:35   #46
BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs

KTM 250 adventure is better than this. A proper adventure bike, USD forks, liquid cooling, better instrument console, It is worth 30000 more. Only led headlight missing in ktm 250 adventure and it weights 12 kgs more @ 177 kg.
Old 8th April 2022, 01:50   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarvodaya View Post
KTM 250 adventure is better than this. A proper adventure bike, USD forks, liquid cooling, better instrument console, It is worth 30000 more. Only led headlight missing in ktm 250 adventure and it weights 12 kgs more @ 177 kg.
The KTM is better for off roading. On road there isn't a big difference between the two. The ktms extra high seat height puts it as a big disadvantage over the Suzuki. It also lacks turn by turn navigation so the KTM has a functionally worse display unit. Liquid cooling is hardly a big plus as ktms are known to heat up quite a bit. But yeah if you can manage the seat height the ktm offers good value.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 02:25   #48
BHPian

I would have bought this over yamaha aerox if it was available in March. My main requirement was to do 350 kms in about 5 hours point to point without paying tolls. Yamaha Aerox can get tiring because of the angle that you sit in and it would not go above 105 with my weight. I did 350 kms in 4 hours 40 mins on Aerox. But this would easily cruise at 120 and I would not get tired on long rides on this because of the seat and handlebar placement.
pb10gagan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 08:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
How and why is this called a V Strom, with a single cylinder engine?

The V stands for versatile. Not for V twin. Likewise the V in the Versys is Versatile system.
apachelongbow is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:03   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The V stands for versatile. Not for V twin. Likewise the V in the Versys is Versatile system.
No. It is indeed the engine configuration. Quoting from Wikipedia - The name V-Strom combines V, referring to the bike's V engine configuration, with the German word strom, meaning stream or current.
Na_sh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:29   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
It's just a name. Even the international V Storm is based on a parallel twin engine and not a V Twin.
The V-strom 650/1000 are both V-twin setup, not sure which parallel twin you are referring too.

The V-strom name is used because of the brand recall. Of course, the very capable but overpriced V-Strom 650 is quite popular amongst the enthusiasts so the big brains in the Suzuki management decided to use the same nomenclature.
Mach_1590 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:31   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The V stands for versatile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Na_sh View Post
No. It is indeed the engine configuration.
As far as this particular bike goes, the V stands for whatever the junior copywriting team involved could agree it did on the day they dreamed it up, and whatever they could get approved by their boss and client rep!

While not for automobiles, I've worked with teams involved in creating branding for new products and you'd be surprised that more often than it should be, it's just a totally random, made-up thing! Not worth going in to detail about or trying to find meaning in, because the team that originally came up with the concept sure didn't!

Am not saying that all marketing is like this. Some brands do give their creative agencies the time and information required to come up with something meaningful. Usually that happens during the original product development of the main big bike/platform/engine. But in the case of most Indian launches of lower-specced motorcycles based on their bigger international counterparts, quite often the agency just works off the brochures and marketing collateral that they get from the bigger bikes and the design brief is simply "extract something suitable from all this". No wonder the marketing is rubbish. As someone has already posted, they're just using the V name for brand recall.

(One exception is RE- whatever their bikes may be, their marketing is top-notch. I used to know a couple of the ad people from the agency they used to use long ago and those people were bikers themselves, so that made a huge difference. (Am not a fan of RE personally, just speaking from what I've seen.))

Looking at the teaser images of this bike, I'm guessing the creative team neither rides bikes seriously nor has an idea about adventure!

(Not dissing this bike by any means, in fact am quite excited about it, just speaking from what I've experienced with marketing teams.)

So forget the branding and the advertising. Looking forward to test rides and reports that will tell us really what the bike is worth. As always, as far as bikes go, what the engineering team has done matters much more to serious bikers than what the marketing MBAs think they've 'contributed'!

Last edited by am1m : 8th April 2022 at 09:36.
am1m is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:34   #53

Specifications wise, this does indeed have a gixxer's heart. Will wait out this initial excitement for an actionable in depth review. Media is full of spec based reports now. Too early to take a call ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
not sure which parallel twin you are referring to
The 250 V Strom is a parallel twin.
Link: https://www.globalsuzuki.com/motorcy...ts/v-strom250/

Last edited by Turbanator : 8th April 2022 at 09:48. Reason: Back to Back Posts, please use multi Quote.
bull8e is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 09:37   #54
BHPian

With V-Strom 250, Suzuki has a really competent product. Also, the bike is priced decently well. Now marketing holds the key for the bike's success. I don't remember any other two wheeler from Suzuki as exciting as this since they started operating in India on their own. The game is Suzuki's to lose now.
Old 8th April 2022, 09:46   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb10gagan View Post
I would have bought this over yamaha aerox if it was available in March. My main requirement was to do 350 kms in about 5 hours point to point without paying tolls. Yamaha Aerox can get tiring because of the angle that you sit in and it would not go above 105 with my weight. I did 350 kms in 4 hours 40 mins on Aerox. But this would easily cruise at 120 and I would not get tired on long rides on this because of the seat and handlebar placement.
Sorry to say this. But this seems completely CRAZY!!

350 kms in 4 hrs 40 mins is average speed of 75 KMPH, without a single break. And you have gotten a scooter for doing this on a regular basis.
2000rpm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Sorry to say this. But this seems completely CRAZY!!

350 kms in 4 hrs 40 mins is average speed of 75 KMPH, without a single break. And you have gotten a scooter for doing this on a regular basis.
Not without breaks, I had to stop two times to fill up for 5 mins, then a meal break for 20 mins. But yes i did full throttle from beginning to end, and Aerox held really well, i must say. I was always driving above 105 kmph whenever i can. And when i say 350 i mean more like 328 or so exactly.

Last edited by pb10gagan : 8th April 2022 at 10:21.
pb10gagan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:40   #57
BHPian

A Japanese ADV you say? Seriously this seems dope. Hope the on road price in Karnataka stays sensible considering Himalayan. One of my friend paid 3 Lakh for Himalayan with accessories in Bangalore. Oh by the way he is using it for commute. To each his own I guess.

I am looking for a two wheeler, not urgent and I can wait till end of this year. Will consider this once the initial reviews and travelogues kick in.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:44   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
The V-strom 650/1000 are both V-twin setup, not sure which parallel twin you are referring too.

The V-strom name is used because of the brand recall. Of course, the very capable but overpriced V-Strom 650 is quite popular amongst the enthusiasts so the big brains in the Suzuki management decided to use the same nomenclature.
Sorry I missed to mention that the V Strom 250 international version has a 250cc parallel twin. Same engine that was in the Inazuma 250 that was sold in India.
bf1983 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:52   #59
BHPian

Suzuki could have derived some "Real" elements from the international markets and made the package sweeter. However, it is a much better job compared to Benelli and Honda for the Indian markets. In brief, it is Gixxer 250 with ADV clothes... Which is OK for the price
balajisb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 10:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Sorry I missed to mention that the V Strom 250 international version has a 250cc parallel twin. Same engine that was in the Inazuma 250 that was sold in India.
That Inazuma was awesome.... albeit short-lived in our land
balajisb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed