Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 22:05   #1

Poor Mileage - Honda Dio

Hi Guys
I have a Honda Dio which is about 15 months old. After the first service in the company, I found a significant mileage drop from the expected 40 kms/ litre. I complained to the dealer during the second service also and he had promised atleast 40 kmpl but the mileage was nowhere near the mark. TF to TF, the average I had was around 26 KMPL which I think is very poor for a 4 stroke bike. For the 3rd service, I didnt go to the company but got it done thru my local mechanic who did a far better job in terms of vehicle handling and smoothness. However, the problem of poor mileage persists and its now only marginall up to around 28 KMPL. Is there a major problem everyone is missing or is the vehicle (as told by some activa owners) only capable of this much?

One thing about the vehicle usage though is that overall usage per month is just about 400-500 kms per day with most journeys short hops of 2-3 kms or 8-9 kms. Has this got something to do with the poor mileage? Do let me know guys of some actionable reasons,

Cheers
Old 12th June 2007, 22:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

short trips will surely give less kmpl but not so drastic like what you are registering. was your mileage ok before first service? dio should give anything in the range of 35 to 40 in regular city commute
Old 12th June 2007, 22:22   #3
BHPian

Same problem I got with my Dio. It helped a bit when I changed the filter and got a K&N one.
Old 12th June 2007, 22:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Something wrong with the air/fuel mixture. Its got to do better than that.
Old 12th June 2007, 23:37   #5
Senior - BHPian

Do duo and activa have same engine and specs ? If yes you surely getting low we used to get around 50KMPL and now we don't even calculate it. It has done just 15K in 5 years
Old 13th June 2007, 00:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yeah i agree something is wrong with the airfuel mixture or u have been riding with the brake pedal depressed unknowingly and have burned the clutch pads of the centrifugal clutch.
Also one more thing i can think of is that during the first 1000 km the idling was above than the recommended and this let to the centrifugal clutch always be engaged and thus must have ruined it.
Had a dio when i was studyin in bangalore for 3 years and i used to consistently get around 50 km/liter.Also i ran it for 45000 km in 2nd half years.
Now my fua there is using it and it has done 65000 km and it still gives around 50km/liter
Old 13th June 2007, 03:43   #7
BHPian

Does the honda dio also use a centrifugal clutch that is the one in which as the speed increases the springs get more extended leading to the contact of the the plate with the outer assembly.My bajaj saffire also has the same type of clutch but the problem is that its plates need replacement after every 1500km.Although I do accerlate a little quickly but I never take it above 60.Do you know what could be causing the problem
Old 13th June 2007, 13:36   #8
BHPian

26-28 kmpl is shockingly low. Even the 2 stroke Kinetic honda gave 35 kmpl. something is wrong for sure. Its very odd that the dealership is not able to fix it, unless you are putting a huge load on the vehicle (like an elephant or something!).
Old 13th June 2007, 14:32   #9

hey aital, try going to a different honda service center and ask them to fix the problem, i had the same problem too,but dont know wat the exact reason was, try the honda service station near ulsoor lake, they have good mechanics there.
Old 13th June 2007, 22:25   #10

Thanks guys for the reply. First of all the question on mileage - I had done an evaluation before 1st service and I had got 40 KMPL. After that, its been downhill all through.

I will do one more TF to TF evaluation of the mileage. As far as the replies go, I can find two reasons:

1. Air/fuel mixture problem - I am not sure how this can be rectified by a local mechanic.....is it by experience listening to the engine beats?

2. The centrifugal clutch problem is something I guess is a major problem. Is there a workaround for this or does it entail replacement of the part?

Cheers

Most Viewed