Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2022, 17:22   #1
BHPian

I modified my Ather 450's seat to make it more comfortable

Hello All!

I own a 2022 Ather 450+ and onw of the biggest gripes I had with it was that the seat is pretty terrible in terms of back support. Well, atleast for me it was. I can’t blame the company though as this is the same woth most manufacturers. Anyway, I decided to finally get the seat redone. I went to this store called Rao Seat Covers (in Bangalore, got to know about it from this video: ). I’ll drop the address below. The inspiration for the seat was the old honda goldwing. A slightly scooped out seat with some amount of back support. I obviously wouldn’t be able to completely replicate that on the Ather but I figured we could try to do the same to best of our ability.

Name:  GOldwing.png
Views: 1745
Size:  349.1 KB

Goldwing Seat

Name:  Seat original.png
Views: 1636
Size:  156.3 KB

Ather's Original Seat

The slight curvature in the front was putting a lot of pressure on my back and was resulting in really bad back pain.

I modified my Ather 450's seat to make it more comfortable-seat-foam-original.jpg

The original seat foam, although of very good quality, wasn't very thick

I modified my Ather 450's seat to make it more comfortable-seat-foam-shaping.jpg

The salespeople are vey patient and keep asking for suggestions throughout the modification process. They custom shape the seat and add or remove foam based on your requirements.

I modified my Ather 450's seat to make it more comfortable-seat-foam-final.jpg

Once the design is final, they ask you if you’d like to wrap it with foam (yellow) or with gel. Gel is much more expensive however. I opted for foam as it was fairly soft.

I modified my Ather 450's seat to make it more comfortable-seat-final.jpg

After this, you havea variety of custom made covers, fabrics and stitching to choose from. I went for this cross stitched pattern . Overall quality is excellent. The full process took around 2 hours and cost me Rs 2500. Although not perfect, the seat comfort has drastically improved over the stock seat due to the thicker foam. Definitely would recommend.

Name:  Screenshot 20220503 170859.png
Views: 1701
Size:  236.2 KB

Rao Seat Covers in Bangalore

Cheers!
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 11:07   #2
BHPian

Re: I modified my Ather 450's seat to make it more comfortable

Rao seat cover is an old place which has amassed a lot of popularity from youtube but their work is expensive for the quality and the work is sometimes average. I got my xpulse seat done there and the cushion started going soft in a week . Got to know from a fellow rider later on of the cheaper options available. So personally I wouldn't recommend Rao seats nor go back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
Hello All!
Just shared my experience I'm not discouraging you with the choice you made. You can share a long term review of how the seat performs.
shady is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 12:43   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
Got to know from a fellow rider later on of the cheaper options available. So personally I wouldn't recommend Rao seats nor go back there.
Could you please share about the other cheaper (and better) options available, so it may help others thinking of getting similar work done?

Also, if you got your bike's seat redone, feedback on the new seats should help too. It is a challenge to find the right workshop, especially when dozens of shops are located in the same area with touts forcing their products on you as soon as you step in the area. Same with car accessories on JC Road.
FloatingCanvas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 13:27   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
Could you please share about the other cheaper (and better) options available, so it may help others thinking of getting similar work done?

Also, if you got your bike's seat redone, feedback on the new seats should help too. It is a challenge to find the right workshop, especially when dozens of shops are located in the same area with touts forcing their products on you as soon as you step in the area. Same with car accessories on JC Road.
The below place in Kammanahalli. I have got good feedback from a few xpulse owners.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/u4gvQuAMj2wfcMbd7

There are a few more shops in kammanahalli but can't pinpoint the good ones
shady is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 13:40   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shady View Post
You can share a long term review of how the seat performs.
If it helps, here's a long term review - I got my Interceptor seat redone from Rao seat cover back in 2019. 3 years later, it's going as great as year 1 - no complaints at all. Have done even 1000+ km ride(s) on it without much discomfort. Compared to the original seat where I had issues doing even a shorter Chennai - Bangalore ride, this has been quite a good experience for me.

But good to have options - competition is always better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
so it may help others thinking of getting similar work done?

Also, if you got your bike's seat redone, feedback on the new seats should help too.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th May 2022 at 13:42.
ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:16   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFox View Post
\Anyway, I decided to finally get the seat redone. I went to this store called Rao Seat Covers (in Bangalore, got to know about it from this video
Hey there really nice modification done is there any such dealer in Hyderabad? I want to get something similar for my access 125.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th June 2022 at 15:08. Reason: Please quote only relevant sections of the post
Old 10th June 2022, 12:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prateek_999 View Post
Hey there really nice modification done is there any such dealer in Hyderabad ? I want to get something similar for my access 125 .
You can try Sahara Seats in Ram Koti.

https://g.page/saharaseats?share

https://saharaseats.com/
tchsvy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks