Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2009, 17:45   #16
BHPian

congrats on your new possession mate
Old 16th October 2009, 19:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I ride pillion on my brother's 3 year old Unicorn sometimes. I have never noticed any bottoming out. Neither of us are exactly light, each weighing around 78 KG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Uni’s Suspension bottoming out at normal /hard setting means 2 things
The bike is being overloaded beyond its designed carrying capacity
The other possibility is that your bike suspensions are worn out and needs replacement.
Usually the rear suspensions are quite sturdy & tough it cantake reasonable amount of abuse. However suspension life depends on usage, road condition load cycles etc.
Your answers baffle me. My Unicorn is close to 4.5 yrs old and has done 5700 KM till date. Usage has been minimal and the bike was kept in cold storage for almost 2 years when I was away in the US on a long term assignment.

The only options I can think of now are:

1. Try adjusting the settings one more time.

2. If option 1 does not work out then take it to the service centre and see what can be done.
Old 16th October 2009, 22:04   #18
BHPian

Congrats on your new ride. I had picked mine in April 09.

About the suspension. Question is how bad are the roads that you travel reguarly? By default the monoshock is set to hard.

Really bad bad roads? : If you are a single person with no passenger you can set it to soft, however ensure you take the bike slowly on the potholes. If you are always with a passenger(light) soft setting should be fine. However if you can carry a heavy passnger you might wanna keep the shock to its default state.

However you might wanna wait till the 2nd service, the shock's should be smooth by the time, from what i feel. Gearbox.. it does have mis-shift at times but it should be set smoothly by the 3rd service.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:14   #19
BHPian

Thanks a ton guys for your wishes but my bike is actually more then 2.5 years old. Anyways, I will take this opportunity to update you all on my experience with honda unicorn.
To tell you the truth, I am not very satisfied with honda unicorn. I had my share of issues with this bike that too within the warranty period. Here is the list of issues which I faced/am facing with this bike:
1. The indicator switch box has been replaced twice both time during warranty period. The service advisor was reluctant to replace it free of cost but after some argument, he finally did it free of cost. 1st time it happened within first 4 months. can you believe it? But later I found that its a common problem with all unicorns.

2. Atleast 3-4 times, my bike refused to start neither using self start nor the kick. once it happned on the red light in the middle of the traffic. And funniest part was that after some time say 1 hr-3hrs, it used to start working fine as if there was no issue at all. I took it to service station each and every time but they couldn't find any issues as the bike started behaving properly there.
Finally, once I was able to show the problem to the service people and then they found that start relay was the culprit. They replaced it but not free of cost as it was an electrical part. Its working fine since then, hopefully it will continue to do so.
3. Apart from this I am not very satisfied with the suspension of the bike. With a pillion, I also faced the issue of rear bottoming out on really bad roads.

So, I have to say the quality of honda unicorn is not upto the mark. Infact its ridiculous. Honda's quality was one of the main reasons why I opted for unicorn over Pulsar. I am driving Honda City from last 4 years without a single issue and was expecting simlar level of quality from their bikes as well but unfortunately its not there.

I have covered 21000Kms on my bike and apart from these issues, the bike is good in terms of smoothness, refinement and handling. Even after completing 21000 kms, the engine is butter smooth.
Old 20th October 2009, 14:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

The build quality of Hero-Honda is much better than HMSIL. My 10 year old Splendor shows no signs of rusting, whereas my brother's 3 year old Unicorn does, including on the silencer bend pipe.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for your new buy.Enjoy a safe ride.
Old 20th October 2009, 15:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
The build quality of Hero-Honda is much better than HMSIL. My 10 year old Splendor shows no signs of rusting, whereas my brother's 3 year old Unicorn does, including on the silencer bend pipe.
Should'nt you compare the 3 year old Uni with 3 year Old splendor ?, then you'd agree that Uni's are better built
10 years before every Bike manufacturer did quality products.

Current Products of HH are'nt as good as it used to be (say before 8 years)
Old 20th October 2009, 15:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

The build quality of even current HH bikes continue to be significantly better than HMSIL Rusting of the silencer pipe in 3 years is bad. Mind you, I think it is anodized in the Unicorn, not just plated.
Old 30th December 2016, 15:39   #24

Re: Bought new Honda Unicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennie View Post
Hey... i own a unicorn too.. the suspension feels hard when compared to a pulsar but it makes up for it by better handling and agility. On really bad roads, you will appreciate the unicorns suspension more than the pulsars which would probably bottom out on such roads.

btw, unicorn's monoshock is adjustable to a small extent. it has 3 preload settings (soft, normal and hard). make sure yours is set to the soft. the unicorn manual has instructions and i think the tool for this (a metal rod) is provided in the toolkit.
How does one adjust the Monoshock suspension of a Unicorn? My owners manual is in Hindi and I cannot understand head or tail. I have the Unicorn service Manual but no adjustment procedure is mentioned there.

Please guide.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks