Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2007, 11:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pulsar 180 service questions - Millenium Auto, Pune

I have the first version of the Pulsar 180 which has now completed 5 years and has clocked 20000 kilometers. I had overhauled the shock absorbers and changed the spark plug at 10k kilometers from the Bajaj company owned show room. The initial glitches of the gear box was resolved under warranty by replacing the clutch assembly under warranty.

Recently I took my bike to Millenium Auto (near DAV School, Aundh, Pune) for a routine service (taking my bike here for the first time). The owner test drove the vehicle and suggested that I need to change the following:
  1. Chain kit (sprockets and chain)
  2. Clucth plates and pressure plates
  3. Rear Brake Pads
  4. Front Disc brake pads
This along with other charges comes to Rs. 2450 approximately. I have been using the bike at speeds of 50 kmph to 80 kmph in the city and close to 100 kmph on the highways (very rare use of the highways). I do not revv the vehicle really hard. Now my questions are:
  1. Do I need to replace the chain kit by 20k kilometers. How do we know it is time to replace that?
  2. Same with cluch plates and pressure plates - how long do they normally last
  3. Replacing the brake pads for both the brakes are ok.
-Biju
Old 18th June 2007, 21:30   #2
BHPian

1)If you are not able to adjust the chain tension/slack,then clear sign of worn out chain or look at the sprocket's teeths which looks sharp and short.Wear n tear depends on usage,maintainence(lubricating the chain helps it to last longer)and riding habits.

2)Clutch plate,if you are into city riding too much,higher the rate of worn out clutch plates.i have come across clutch plates giving up as early as 5K while some lasted 50+k kms.
Old 19th June 2007, 12:16   #3
BHPian

One sure way of finding out whether your chain is not right is to look for slack when you rotate the rear tyre, if the slack is non standard i.e. goes from slack to tight to slack as you rotate, your chain might have to be replaced.

What hemi says about the sprockets is also right. Sharp short sprockets indicate damage/wear. Do change both sprocket and chain as a package.

Most Viewed