Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 10:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Why no Bikes with AT?

Quote:
or is it just because bikers always prefer the geared ones and hence it is so..
There is the hugely sucessful Kinetic and now the Honda with auto gears. the man reason for he swtch to auto gear is convenience WITHOUT compromising the acceleration seriously..thats where kinetic scored with MEN too.

as for a proper motorbike with auto gear - the riding position is so much favourd to a foot gear, and the habbit factor of human beings - that a auto gear motor bike is not psychologically accepted. then the rush of the take-off will be very difficult to achieve ... then comes the dampner of the fuel average.... all in all it doesnt add up to a exciting frugal ride.

hence the kinetic or dio or activa for easy city commuting and THE BIKE for the ride into the sunset

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th December 2010 at 19:16. Reason: quote tag fixed.
Old 27th December 2010, 10:13   #17
BHPian

I remember seeing an ad on TV sporting clutch free TVS jive. Manufacturers are experimenting with such products, which I think is a welcome move,
Old 27th December 2010, 10:31   #18
BHPian

While browsing I was wondering why no one mentioned Jive and alas it was there.

Someone said that Hero Honda street was a failure. I beg to differ. It was another no non-sense piece from Hero Honda. It was absouloutely durable. Wonderful on mileage. Was very popular in Semi urban and rural area. My sis had one and she sold it last week after using for abt 8 yrs for 10K. Not bad at all.
I always wanted my wife to buy one but somehow she was deceived by cutier looks of Bajaj Spirit.
Bajaj too had soma KB10 or 100 i don't remember correctly which sure was a flop.

I thinik there is no absoloute At bike. Both discussed above are more clutchless bikes.
Old 27th December 2010, 13:13   #19
Senior - BHPian

Clutchless manuals not the same as a true ATs right ?

A true "budget" AT should offer :
- Ride and poise of a bike.
- Only a wee bit compromise in FE.
- Both the brake levers in your hands.
- Looks of a normal bike.

The HH Street was quite popular , especially amongst the fairer sex. However it wasnt popular enough for its production to continue.
Going by the numbers spotted on the road, I dont see the Jive being half as successful as the Street.
Old 27th December 2010, 18:38   #20
BHPian

There is the dual clutch dsg AT DN 01 from Honda and the beautiful semi automatic Aprillia Mana 850.I can't seem to find anything in the lower end though,except the semi auto TVS Jive and the discontinued Honda Street.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys this is a 2007 thread bumped now, a post created more than 3 years ago has been quoted and replied.

BTW, Honda VFR 1200F is now available in India with a Dual Clutch Automatic transmission at a price tag close to 20 lakh Rupees.

Last edited by .anshuman : 27th December 2010 at 19:26.
Old 1st June 2021, 23:10   #22
BHPian

Bumped into this decade old thread, and I find that the OP's query is still relevant and remains unanswered to an extent. The gearless scooter market has grown leaps and bounds in the last decade, now we are spoilt for choice. TVS tried something new in the motorcycle segment, bringing out clutchless transmission in Jive, which we all know turned out to be a sales dud. Nothing much from anyone after that. Found a couple of interesting webpages, attaching them below.

https://www.motorbikesindia.com/auto...mission-bikes/

https://www.webbikeworld.com/every-a...on-motorcycle/

We can see that there are a quite a few motorcycles with automatic transmission or DCT in the higher price segment. But not a single motorcycle in the lower price or the mass market segment. How different/difficult is it to manufacture a mass market motorcycle with CVT in comparison with an Activa for example? Gearless scooters these days definitely are not as boring as they used to be earlier. Take TVS Ntorq out for a spin, and you won't disagree I guess. So, a similar specced motorcycle, should provide enough fun, if not more and should be similarly priced if not, little more.

Guys, chip in with your views.

Note to the Moderators: Found a similar thread in the forum. You may club these two threads if feasible. Thanks
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ss+motorcycles (Why no gearless motorcycles)

Last edited by Emvi : 1st June 2021 at 23:28. Reason: Note added
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks