Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2022, 02:18   #31
BHPian

Re: Dealership asking me to buy the motorcycle that I test-rode

I do think OP is just thinking too much of break in process. The tyre wear is the easiest sign to guess how much it is driven besides VIN number, if not much then I think its not a big issue at all.

If you like this particular bike buy it, because in the grander scheme of things it is much more plausible that the new one ordered for you which you will be obligated to buy will be a lemon.

Atleast you know this beast, its much better than an unknown quantity and with no lemon law who knows you will be better off with a new one.
VaibhavShatna95 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 06:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineGTR View Post
I asked for a test ride. He said he would give me one but I ought to be careful since the bike did not have insurance. The sales manager was polite and courteous: I took two rides, one short and then a slightly longer one which he allowed after i asked for a longer TD.

What's pestering me is that he is kind of asking me to buy the same bike that i test rode. He insists that its a brand new piece and i am the first person to TD it. I obviously don't believe him. The speedo wire is disconnected too so there's no way to know how many kilometres the bike has run.
You can obviously walk away if he is not giving you options. However you are also part of the problem here.

If we have concerns buying test ride bike, we also should decline taking test ride on such bikes. Otherwise you will never have trust on any dealer. Be it 2 or 4 wheeler, I stick to this policy.
rajshenoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 07:14   #33
BHPian

This thread is going on for a week now. On a lighter note, the OP should check if the bike is still available, or somebody else has already purchased it.

The high moral ground stand that many of the people have taken is nice to have, but in my opinion, we have to stay realistic and stay closer to the prevalent mainstream moral position, else we may lose out in general in our country in the present time.

Having said that, the OP should carry out the necessary due diligence of the specific unit, if needed, engage a friend who understands bikes better and reach a decision.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 30th June 2022 at 07:22.
ajayc123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 08:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
So, not wanting to waste my time, I took the bike, drove it very sedately for under 2 km and gave it back.
Haven't you mentioned in the original post that you asked for a "longer" second test drive from the dealer?

I honestly think that the dealer might have sensed a deal could be had with you since you went for two test drives despite knowing all the facts.

Genuine question, would you believe it, if the dealership informs you that your brand new vehicle has been test driven by a couple of prospective customers "gently and sedately"? I personally, would not.

An example that comes to mind is when my family was insistent on buying the Fortuner but there was no TD vehicle available anywhere, atleast nearby. We were offered prospective customer's brand new car "twice" to have a test drive to our heart's content but i declined with a firm "NO" both times and i had to give an earful to the SA to not call us again with such suggestions. Having driven the older generation and the pre-facelift version extensively, we (me and my family) made a call to buy the vehicle based on my experience, team-bhp reviews and walkaround videos on youtube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
The high moral ground stand that many of the people have taken is nice to have, but in my opinion, we have to stay realistic and stay closer to the prevalent mainstream moral position, else we may lose out in general in our country in the present time.
Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I genuinely did not understand the message you are trying to convey.
Doonite is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 09:18   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Could you please elaborate a bit on this? I genuinely did not understand the message you are trying to convey.
My reference is regarding accepting / declining test drives of non test drive vehicles, or other guys vehicles.

While in principle, I would agree that it’s not right, but the fact that many dealers make that offer to prospective customers, and likely that many prospective customers accept that offer, leads me to think that it is a prevalent practice.

If all customers refused citing high moral ground, it won’t be a prevalent practice.

In a nutshell people who bend their ethics slightly tend to get that test drive vs those who don’t. And quite a few maintain double standards, like I don’t mind test driving other guys vehicle, but I mind if other guy test my vehicle without being in the know.

I wouldn’t be surprised if my next vehicle has been tested by another prospective customer , before it is delivered to me, without my ever coming to know about it.

Everybody’s ethics are their’s to choose, but one should be prepared.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 30th June 2022 at 09:22.
ajayc123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th June 2022, 11:25   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I again insisted on getting a fresh, factory delivered piece but he said there are no issues with this one and again insisted I buy that one only. Is this behaviour normal?
They can't force you to buy something you don't want. You can always walk away or talk to the manager and see if you can get a new piece.

Quote:
1. What if this bike is a test ride and has already run multiple hundred kms? Test ride bikes aren't treated kindly, people would definitely have revved it hard and ruined the engine
You will know this by asking them to provide the date of manufacturing. If it's relatively new then it might have done lesser kms. If it's old chances are that the running might be more.

Quote:
2. What kind of showroom just orders a bike from the factory without taking a booking amount
It's much more common it's called free stock. Usually sent by the company to the dealership even without booking. It's mostly based on predicted sales.

Quote:
3. Why can't he just say, "ok sir no problem, you pay the booking amount and we'll get you a fresh piece"?
You should probably talk to the manager.

Quote:
Now even if he agrees to get a new unit I will have a doubt that it's the same old TD bike, washed and cleaned. What should I do?
Check the manufacturing date from the delearship. Or just buy a bike from different delearship.

Here's my thought on this, no matter how much you try there is always be someone who has ridden your bike before you, it could be the delivery guy from the stock yard to the showroom. It could be during the unloading and parking in the stockyard. It could be the sales person once the bike arrives at the dealership.

Last edited by Shonith : 30th June 2022 at 11:28.
Shonith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 20:44   #37
BHPian

Just a heads up. I went to a Suzuki showroom in Kolkata for a TD of an SF 250. They said they didn't have one. Confirmed with other dealerships and looks like none has one. They even said that production is stopped for a few months.
So there are high chances that a new SF is coming probably with the updated meter console and other features maybe? And it can launch as suddenly as the Vstrom. So, I would suggest wait it out if you can. I haven't found any credible source for this but well, no one knew about the Vstrom too.
I test rode the Vstrom instead to get a feel of the 250cc engine. Unexcitingly super linear but has a very good top end. Fz25 pulls much better initially though. Also it was a showroom display unit with no number plates. I was too excited to get on it and didn't even ask any questions about insurance. My bad. This post is an eye opener for me. Will keep all these in mind while taking test rides.
SiLxNcE is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2022, 21:24   #38
BHPian

@ the first place, if there is no TD vehicle and the dealer insisted on taking a TD in a pre-booked one, you should have walked away by simply saying a big NO. Period. It's absolutely unethical to take a TD in other's vehicle. Period.

Regarding your concerns about the break-in period, there is nothing to worry at all if you do these
1. Check the manufacturing date of the bike using VIN number.
2. Check the manufacturing date using the Tyre serial number.
3. Check the invoice date (OEM to dealer invoice). This is quite tricky because dealers will not share this. But you can ask them to mask the commercials and share just the invoice copy that contains the VIN number and date.
4. As someone mentioned here, probably you may need to check on the technicalities of the actual odo of the bike since this is an electronic MID. There is a possibility that even if the cable is disconnected, the numbers are still recorded.

Finally, today's engines are significantly improved in terms of technology, design as well as components. So high revving for a few kms does not make any difference. Of course, it matters if it's pushed to its limits for a prolonged period/long distance which I think is highly unlikely in this case.

It's your call.

Sorry if I sound rude.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 3rd July 2022 at 21:26.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 08:14   #39
BHPian

I know this comment might be a bit late but here's my take.
Stay away from that bike and if possible the dealer. Contrary to some of the comments here, Running- In is and will remain an important period in the lifecycle of a bike. There is no way for you to know how many kms/ how many times/ how it has been test ridden. You were a saint to baby the bike, I wd have wrung up the throttle...
If you really want the same bike, pls try and ascertain the manufacturing date using VIN etc.
Chandrahas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 11:23   #40
BHPian

When I went to test ride my new motorcycle,they offered me the display piece,which had odo disconnected.
After TD I asked them ,whether the one which I receive will be the same TD vehicle. They had another 1 in stock with all accessories still in bubble wraps tied to it.They let me note down the Chassis number of that unit and took delivery within 2 days .
I agree with what some people said here. If the OP was ok with test driving a unit which was to be delivered to some one else and now wants a fresh piece for him,it's hypocrisy.If OP is so insistent on his unit being unused,he should have refused the TD. And he is blaming the dealer for his actions.
Even if OP now takes delivery of the said vehicle,he won't be at peace.So better pass it on and look for another dealer/vehicle.
Thamps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 12:34   #41
BHPian

Friends, am I really wrong to worry about a badly broken-in engine? hasn't it been standard practice for years to not rev a new engine hard and to only do so after the first oil change?
BTW, yesterday I walked past the showroom to see whether they had delivered the bike. Nopes. Its still there. Almost 10 days since I took the TD and the bike that was supposed to be "delivered next week" is still parked there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiLxNcE View Post
Just a heads up. I went to a Suzuki showroom in Kolkata for a TD of an SF 250. They said they didn't have one. Confirmed with other dealerships and looks like none has one. They even said that production is stopped for a few months.
So there are high chances that a new SF is coming probably with the updated meter console and other features maybe?
Could you tell me when was this? I have not heard any such rumors about the production of the SF250 being stopped
I do hope its, true, god knows too well Suzuki needs to get aggressive with their 250s. Such gem of a product but they don't seem to care about marketing at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
Regarding your concerns about the break-in period, there is nothing to worry at all if you do these
1. Check the manufacturing date of the bike using VIN number.
2. Check the manufacturing date using the Tyre serial number.
3. Check the invoice date (OEM to dealer invoice). This is quite tricky because dealers will not share this. But you can ask them to mask the commercials and share just the invoice copy that contains the VIN number and date.
4. As someone mentioned here, probably you may need to check on the technicalities of the actual odometer of the bike since this is an electronic MID. There is a possibility that even if the cable is disconnected, the numbers are still recorded.
Can you tell me how to decipher manufacturing date from VIN? I don't know how to do this. Will I have to check the VIN online or I can tell simply by reading it?
I will try the other suggestions. Thank you very much, sir.

@everyone asking me to speak to the manager, it was the dealership's sales manager who I spoke to and who allowed me the TD. Idk if I can escalate it further, can I?
Old 4th July 2022, 16:07   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me how to decipher manufacturing date from VIN? I don't know how to do this. Will I have to check the VIN online or I can tell simply by reading it?
I am no expert in this, especially in 2 wheelers. Probably you may google it out or check it with a mechanic or 2 wheeler expert.
Old 4th July 2022, 16:45   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Uploading a VIN decoder file created by one of Kerala's MVIs. Uploading here for OP's as well as everyone's benefit.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VIN (1).pdf (2.93 MB, 345 views)

Last edited by sole_rider : 4th July 2022 at 16:46. Reason: Properly formatted the quotted content
sole_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2022, 17:20   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

I think you are overthinking it. Look for how fresh overall the bike seems and look for tell tale damage signs like repainted panels, scratches etc. And decode the VIN to detrmine manufacturing date. You can just check the oil color on the dipstick to determine if bike has been run much. If the general condition & all is fine, you can go ahead with the purchase.

My own bike (Honda Stunner in silver) that I bought way back in 2010 was bought in the same way. The odo was disconnected and I took the test drive on the same bike. I asked for a fresh piece but that color was not available with any of the dealers at my place. So, finally went ahead with the purchase and the bike is still doing the duty faithfully after 12 years of purchase. It still returns 50+ KMPL in city which is a good indicator of the engine's overall health. Hope this helps.

Regards.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 12:11   #45

I too had a similar incident. It was a 2018 KTM 390 Duke. I asked for a test ride and they prepared the bike which was on display inside the showroom. I noticed that the speedo was working while I test rode it. I also took the photo of the chasis number and odo after the test ride just be sure that they are not selling me the display bike. A week later I booked it and the same bike was still on display. I told them I don't want this same bike and the Manager said they will bring a new unit. But on the day of delivery it was the same bike with 1 extra km on the odo(6kms). The manager had changed by then and he told me sub dealerships only get 1 390 Duke at a time and they have to sell it to get the next. Nothing seemed suspicious and I gladly took delivery of the bike.
TheBikerman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks