Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2022, 08:31   #16
BHPian

re: The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350

To put it short, CL engines were designed in the 1950s which continued in production till about early 2000s before the invent of AVL engine.
For a moment if you imagine the 1950s scenario i.e. open roads ( of-course narrow ones ) , slow riding or commuting pace, no stop and go traffic etc , this machine was well suited. Taking into consideration today’s scenario, certainly there are downsides to it.
Be that as it may it’s the character of this machine is what makes all the efforts you put in are worth the salt. You seem to have understood this machine. Glad that this classic is in safe hands. Happy and safe riding. Cheers
Gypsian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 12:57   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I would say that it is purely a lack of attention that has lead to those flaws. You bought a motorcycle that was ignored and what you're going through is catching up on all the maintenance that it never got. The Enfield 350 is a basic machine. Once you have all the mechanicals and electricals sorted, it hardly goes wrong. You don't need to touch the carburettor tuning too, unless, you want to meddle with jets and larger air filters to get more power. I rather you do not head down this road with such an old motorcycle. Enjoy it for what it is.

This is a motorcycle from an era where Royal Enfield did not understand the words "Quality". The factory was a glorified scrap yard. Trust me, I've seen it at that phase when a little modernism started to flow in. You walked onto a factory floor that had a smell of dirty engine oil. If something did not align, a hammer was the solution. Not going back to the drawing aboard and looking at the problem. Which is why the dependability of every Enfield that left that factory was decided by the mood of the factory worker who assembled it. You will receive a brand spanking shiny new motorcycle at the dealer and you ended up with a bunch of things to fix, that the factory could not be bothered about. I've had friends whose brand new AVL's 500's fell apart as soon as they bought it. It was their first Enfield. Everyone looks forward to this day. Sadly; it was the first & last Enfield they ever owned. This lack of dependability has plagued even the motorcycles they exported. I get asked this question all the time, when I meet fellow bikers and when we talk about our rides. When you say Enfield, the first question is, how is your bike holding up. All they know is of Enfield's that sat longer in the garage than being ridden. You also have the camp that buy an old Enfield 350 and ride it like a Pulsar. Its going to do downhill very fast for this rider.

Don't worry about the bits and bobs that need attention. Fix the bike slowly. Looks like you've got most issues out of the way now. If there is one thing I'd add, find a good mechanic. The longevity and riding pleasure one can gain from riding such a motorcycle is down to the skill level of the person working on it. It can be yourself or it can be a good mechanic. It is hard to come by such individuals these days. Its a dying art. I'd say keep looking. Every City will have one such individual who can work wonders with these old machines. I own a CI500. This motorcycle has never left me stranded on the road. Ever. Timely maintenance and a good mechanic is all I gave it. It has given me a pleasure trip that my modern Interceptor can't match. I mean, they are two very different machines. There is nothing in this world that can calm my sense or bring me to ease, like the sound of a thumping old Enfield.
The previous owners had truly subjected the motorcycle to immense neglect and although I have managed to resolve most of it, some issues persist which I shall attend to slowly.
I wholeheartedly agree on the quality-control bit and that is one of the reasons I find the UCEs appealing sometimes. However, even though I have found quite a few competent mechanics who have several CI Bullets worked upon by them thumping on flawlessly as a testament to their proficiency, I am yet to completely hand over my ride to them to get it worked upon. All I do is visit them to work on problems that have cropped up and cannot be fixed or understood by me. I intend to get my machine looked at by one of the professionals soon and I shall update the thread accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
To put it short, CL engines were designed in the 1950s which continued in production till about early 2000s before the invent of AVL engine.
For a moment if you imagine the 1950s scenario i.e. open roads ( of-course narrow ones ) , slow riding or commuting pace, no stop and go traffic etc , this machine was well suited. Taking into consideration today’s scenario, certainly there are downsides to it.
Be that as it may it’s the character of this machine is what makes all the efforts you put in are worth the salt. You seem to have understood this machine. Glad that this classic is in safe hands. Happy and safe riding. Cheers
Thanks Gypsian! The CI engine is a product of its times and even though it is not impossible to subject it to modern traffic conditions, one needs to keep his/her machine in perfect running order to do so without any hiccups. Afterall, everyone has seen CI bullets being restored and used regularly all over India and especially in states like Punjab and Haryana.

Regards
SgtGAWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 10:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtGAWD View Post
This is the story of how an 18 y/o teenager ended up with a 27 y/o conundrum.
Quote:
The Chosen One Enters:
Congratulations mate! The motorcycle you bought is indeed the chosen one. Some people don't believe in destiny but your story proves them wrong. Having owning RE's all these years all I can say is that restore the motorcycle as and when funds allow, only don't ignore the mechanicals. Critical parts like wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension, electricals, engine and gearbox needs to be sorted out first while cosmetic changes can wait. Like others have mentioned the CI Bullet is a simple machine and with adequate care will last a lifetime.

Your story took me back to the days when I was in my mid-20's and was hunting for a CI Bullet. Fortunately those days CI Bullets were available in aplenty, especially in a Tier I city like Bombay. I remember fixing a deal with a mechanic for a 1994 CI Bullet, but he sold it off to someone who offered him 5K more. I never went back to that mechanic. A friend who had a 2002 Thunderbird AVL was looking to buy a 500 CI and I joined him in the hunt. While doing so we came across this 1996 Bullet CI 350 and he made up his mind on buying it, but later dropped the deal as he wanted a 500 CI. I was hoping for him to give up the deal as I really liked that 1996 CI 350. Arranged for the funds and got my first RE Bullet CI 350 home. It is still with me along with my other RE's.

I still meet people who regret selling their CI's back in the day and are full of remorse whenever they see a CI thumping along.

My love story started with the CI Bullet when a family friend of ours (a Bengali gentleman) used to visit our home on his 1970's Standard CI Bullet 350. I was all of 6 years old and fondly remember ogling at that black iron steed endlessly.

The model you've bought is one of those rare CI Machismo models which RE later equipped with AVL LB 5 Speed 350 and 500cc engines. During my college days I lost a good deal on a well kept black and chrome CI 350 Machismo due to lack of funds. Those days it was available for as less as 21K.

I am sure present and future budding buyers of CI Bullet will gain some insight by reading threads like these and many others on TeamBHP.
navin_v8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 15:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And yes, you are right about there being another Deluxe model. AFAIK, the Machismo and Deluxe co-existed through the 90s and later on, the Machismo took on the AVL avatar whereas the Electra possibly replaced the Deluxe
1999, if I am right is when they introduced the AVL engined Machismo, with the same 4sp gearbox. I got to ride one for a short distance once and this was after I got my Electra in 2002. The difference in how it picked up speed was much quicker although the power and torque figures were similar to CI350. It also had an envious top speed of 120kmh which was the same as the CI500. The CI350's were 100 kmh.

Trivia- There was a model called the Bullet Campus during 2001-02. As the name suggest, it was Enfields attempt at attracting young riders. It looked like the Electra which was the model that replaced the Campus, except that, the ignition was CB point like in the Std350, but it had a light crank like the Electra.
tharian is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:09   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshreyansh View Post
What a detailed ownership review, surely one of the best out there. Your passion towards Royal Enfield was oozing out from your words. Loved reading every bit of it.

Having a 2003 Royal Enfield Thunderbird at home makes me more interested in your thread. Although my Thunderbird is not in working condition but your review has surely inspired me to go work on it and get it running for sure
I hope you rejoice every day you spend with this beauty and make lots of memories with it. All the best.

Here is an old picture of my 350, it has a 5-speed gearbox and would like to know from you whether the engine belongs to the CI or UCE family.
Attachment 2331366
Thanks
This is neither CI or UCE. It is AVL.
SidharthaN is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 21:29   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Congratulations mate! The motorcycle you bought is indeed the chosen one. Some people don't believe in destiny but your story proves them wrong. Having owning RE's all these years all I can say is that restore the motorcycle as and when funds allow, only don't ignore the mechanicals. Critical parts like wheels, tyres, brakes, suspension, electricals, engine and gearbox needs to be sorted out first while cosmetic changes can wait. Like others have mentioned the CI Bullet is a simple machine and with adequate care will last a lifetime.
Thanks! I have been able to sort out the brakes, suspension and electricals and they are expected to last well for the next 5 years at least. The next two things that I intend to sort are the wheels which are in dire need of alignment and the gearbox which needs lubrication. The dilemma that I am facing is what to use- my mechanic is suggesting 90/140 gear oil or 20w50 engine oil whereas the internet seems to unanimously suggest going for either grease or a mixture of grease and engine oil.

Your woes regarding buying the Enfield bring back bitter memories of searching far and wide for REs for a year or so. I would never want to relive those days of hunting for the perfect ride. That is precisely why I ended up overpaying by 2 or 3k for Enfield just to eliminate the risk of it getting sold out and resultantly, me slipping into depression .

Do post photos of your rides sometime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
1999, if I am right is when they introduced the AVL engined Machismo, with the same 4sp gearbox. I got to ride one for a short distance once and this was after I got my Electra in 2002. The difference in how it picked up speed was much quicker although the power and torque figures were similar to CI350. It also had an envious top speed of 120kmh which was the same as the CI500. The CI350's were 100 kmh.
You're right. Funnily enough, I was oblivious to the presence of a Machismo AVL 4s till 6 months ago when one of my friends found one while hunting for REs in the used market . I always knew of the Machismo AVL 5S but now it seems that the AVL 4S is the best of both worlds- the enhanced performance of the AVL engine coupled with the distinguishing right leg shifter, the only downside being the thumps though

I never quite understood the Campus model but from your description, it is clear to me that it was just an E350 with CB points. Thanks!

Last edited by ampere : 12th July 2022 at 21:36. Reason: trimmed quoted post
SgtGAWD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2022, 13:44   #22
BHPian

I went on my first highway run after the carb swap. The motorcycle performed really well mechanically and I maintained an average speed of 60km/h
However, I felt the vibrations return to the handlebar, though not as seriously as before and I am thinking of going the old-fashioned way of filling in sand in the handlebar to eliminate the remaining vibes.
Here is a video I made during the highway run:

A few days ago, my machine started repeatedly blowing up one of the two 20AMP fuses every 2 to 3kms which caused me to run out of spare fuses and I had to resort to connecting the wires directly in order to make it home. The fuse is installed on the wire that connects the positive terminal of the battery and leads to the ignition coil.

A quick visit to my mechanic led to him coming to the conclusion that the exposed wire of the front brake light switch was causing a short circuit every now and then. He taped up the wires, reinstalled the fuses, and told me I was good to go. However, the problem resurfaced before my highway run and I had to resort to connecting the wires directly again. I revisited my mechanic and he is unable to diagnose the fault. He suggests I connect the wires directly and move on in case the fuse blows up again. I asked him whether it can cause any damage to the wiring [I had my wiring go up in flames once already] and he says it is safe. TBHPians, any help will be appreciated.
SgtGAWD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 16:04   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked him whether it can cause any damage to the wiring [I had my wiring go up in flames once already] and he says it is safe. TBHPians, any help will be appreciated.
There might be a short somewhere that is leading the fuse to blow. It is better to find where and fix it and put back a fuse as like you said, you don't want the wires to burn and leave you stranded.

Vibes on the handlebar is something that is part of the old bikes, especially the heavy crank 350's. Maybe try fixing a soft handlebar grip like the ones from GripPuppies to reduce it.

Bike sounds good, except for the tappet noise. Since it was unused, it should settle down after some running and oil changes.

Last edited by tharian : 20th July 2022 at 16:06.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 21:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

SgtGAWD, kudos to you on several fronts. Your passion for out 1995 Machismo 350 comes across so well in your posts, as does your sky high patience! I had to re-read your post to ensure that I hadnt mistakenly assumed that you were an enthusiast in your 30s or 40s, like most of everyone else in this corner of TBHP.

Your command over the language is also very impressive.

Im not technical, by any stretch of the imagination, so the only piece of useful advice that I can give you is to first dispose of your 20 year old rear tires and get something new. Ill be glued to your posts on this thread.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2022, 22:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Was this model named Machismo or Machismo A350?
Old 21st July 2022, 11:14   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Was this model named Machismo or Machismo A350?
Just Machismo. The A350 was introduced in 1999 with the all aluminium AVL designed engine, hence ‘A’350.
tharian is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few days ago, my machine started repeatedly blowing up one of the two 20AMP fuses every 2 to 3kms which caused me to run out of spare fuses and I had to resort to connecting the wires directly in order to make it home. The fuse is installed on the wire that connects the positive terminal of the battery and leads to the ignition coil.

A quick visit to my mechanic led to him coming to the conclusion that the exposed wire of the front brake light switch was causing a short circuit every now and then. He taped up the wires, reinstalled the fuses, and told me I was good to go. However, the problem resurfaced before my highway run and I had to resort to connecting the wires directly again. I revisited my mechanic and he is unable to diagnose the fault. He suggests I connect the wires directly and move on in case the fuse blows up again. I asked him whether it can cause any damage to the wiring [I had my wiring go up in flames once already] and he says it is safe. TBHPians, any help will be appreciated.
I am not sure if you have changed the old wiring harness, if not then do it. As a rule of thumb whenever I bought used RE's I used to strip the wiring harness and throw it away and install a brand new OEM wiring harness. The troubleshooting with old wiring is just not worth it IMO.
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:05   #28
BHPian

Patience- nowhere does its indispensability shine brighter than while troubleshooting an old RE

With the monsoons finally setting in, I decided to give my machine a much-needed wash and some form of protection from all the water and muck being thrown around whenever I venture out in the rains. I washed my machine with soap and mild shampoo, taking extreme care not to let any moisture make its way to the CB points, and wiped her dry. I proceeded to spray down all the metal parts with a mixture of diesel and engine oil as suggested by my mechanic (poor man's anti-rust spray/polish). All said and done, the machine looked impeccable and I shall let the pictures do the talking.

The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-post-wash-side.jpeg
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-post-wash-front-quarter.jpeg
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-post-wash-center.jpeg
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-post-wash-front.jpeg
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-post-wash-front-up.jpeg

I took her out for a spin and went to my mechanic to get my rear wheel adjusted as the chain was rubbing against the chain cover. Also, my indicators had decided to stop flashing for some reason. He was able to adjust the wheel so that the chain did not touch the cover while riding solo. However, taking along a pillion results in a rhythmic slapping of the chain against the cover. My flasher had decided to throw a tantrum and refuse to flash the 4 LED turn signals that I had installed. It did however flash when I substituted 2 of the bulbs with halogen units. Funnily enough, I had replaced my old flasher for the very same reason and the new unit from Lumax worked perfectly with the LED bulbs until now. I decided to unplug the flasher as I wanted to retain the LED bulbs due to better visibility. The only drawback is that the turn signals don't flash now and stay illuminated whenever they are turned on. Old Enfields never die and so do their niggles.

I was yet to resolve the issue with the wiring and the blown fuses. Mulling over the issue led to me concluding that something must be wrong with the taillamp wiring as the entire wiring harness was new and everything was connected using proper connectors without any wire splicing. However, my mechanic had spliced the wires of the tail lamp holder as the connector failed to match the new wiring harness. I had spotted the issue a while back but was hesitant to check it out as dismantling the tail lamp bracket was quite a chore. However, I could substantiate my hypothesis by disconnecting my taillamp assembly connection and waiting for the fuse to blow up. I decided to go for it and disconnected it before taking out my machine for a 20km trip the next day.
Needless to say, the ride went smoothly and I was able to keep up with my buddy on his C350 at speed of up to 80 km/h. I faced zero electrical issues on the way. Here are a few shots of the ride:

The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-c350-b350.jpeg

The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-c350-b350-front.jpeg

While returning, I went straight to my mechanic and informed him of my diagnosis. He suggested I also get my rear mudguard welded as the rusted edges could have been stripping the wires of their insulation. My tail lamp assembly had indeed fallen off twice from the rusted mudguard. The first time the issue was fixed by using an oversized washer to hold the bolt in place. When that gave up as well, I ended up using the upper hole on the mudguard meant for the wiring to hold the taillamp assembly in place. while I was there, I also got my seat aligned with my tank. Thanks to the amazing quality control at the RE factory, nothing could be done to the tank to save it and I did not want to scrap a finely chromed tank, so my mechanic decided to bend the front supports of the seat to the right to align it to the tank.

The first time the taillamp assembly came off while was riding and I had to tie it to the back seat in order to make it home
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-taillamp-fell-off.jpeg

Before vs After. It is still far from perfect but then, are project bikes ever perfect?
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-seat-aligned-comparision.jpeg

The next morning, I went to my local welder and fixed the rear mudguard. I had to open up the taillamp assembly and got a chance to reinsulate all the spliced wires. The welder arc welded a GI sheet to the mudguard to cover the hole. Interestingly enough, he only welded the top half of the sheet and when I asked about it, he reasoned that the bottom half was left unwelded to enable water to pass through and prevent rusting of the mudguard. The reasoning seemed infallible and all that is left to see is how it holds up to the ravages of time, mud, and moisture .

All opened up. Also, I have deliberately routed the taillamp wiring externally instead of under the mudguard to preserve it from moisture and muck. Elegant? Most definitely not. Practical? Yes!
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-fender-scenario.jpeg

The sorry state of the rear mudguard:
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-before-fender.jpeg

Work in progress:
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-during-fender.jpeg

The final result:
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-after-fender.jpeg

Here is how it looks from the inside:
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-fender-inside.jpeg

The taillamp sits about 2 to 3 inches lower now:
The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350-fender-gap.jpeg

That is all for now.
Cheers
SgtGAWD is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
There might be a short somewhere that is leading the fuse to blow. It is better to find where and fix it and put back a fuse as like you said, you don't want the wires to burn and leave you stranded.

Vibes on the handlebar is something that is part of the old bikes, especially the heavy crank 350's. Maybe try fixing a soft handlebar grip like the ones from GripPuppies to reduce it.

Bike sounds good, except for the tappet noise. Since it was unused, it should settle down after some running and oil changes.
I did not know of GripPuppies and your reply made me hit Google only to find out that they are out of my league- for now. However, I might invest in some grip wraps soon in order to reduce the vibes.

There indeed is a lot of noise from the tappet and rockers coupled with some noise from the timing gear and cams. I shall get them looked at in the future. My machine has undergone one oil change after coming into my possession and I shall update if the issue gets resolved with further oil changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
SgtGAWD, kudos to you on several fronts. Your passion for out 1995 Machismo 350 comes across so well in your posts, as does your sky high patience! I had to re-read your post to ensure that I hadnt mistakenly assumed that you were an enthusiast in your 30s or 40s, like most of everyone else in this corner of TBHP.

Your command over the language is also very impressive.

Im not technical, by any stretch of the imagination, so the only piece of useful advice that I can give you is to first dispose of your 20 year old rear tires and get something new. Ill be glued to your posts on this thread.
Thanks neil.jericho! I do plan to get new tyres and rims in the future once I take care of all the mechanical woes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
I am not sure if you have changed the old wiring harness, if not then do it. As a rule of thumb whenever I bought used RE's I used to strip the wiring harness and throw it away and install a brand new OEM wiring harness. The troubleshooting with old wiring is just not worth it IMO.
The old wiring rests peacefully in a corner of my garage. it was given a long overdue farewell after it engaged in an unwarranted act of self-immolation.
In all seriousness though, I have been using a new wiring harness for a couple of months now and the only connection on it that was crudely spliced by my mechanic gave me all the headaches. It has been fixed now and the motorcycle runs great- electrically at least.

Regards
SgtGAWD is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 02:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

Re: The story of my 1995 Royal Enfield Machismo 350

I just came across this great thread.

Could you please tell how much you spent for the incomplete paperwork? What was the process?

I am looking to buy a CI model and have seen some with incomplete papers.

Most Viewed